HELP TOPIC - for help in OS X Yosemite (10.10) and below

Deltac0

2,805 posts in this topic

It's really stuck. I have been waited for it more than 20 minutes. Additionally safe mode is same too

Out of curiosity, see in the BIOS if C1E is set as disabled. Also, try to add your busratio as a flag (busratio=xx). I'll recommend you to join the IRC chatroom #legacykernel to get other insights about your issue.

All the best!

Out of curiosity, see in the BIOS if C1E is set as disabled. Also, try to add your busratio as a flag (busratio=xx). I'll recommend you to join the IRC chatroom #legacykernel to get other insights about your issue.

All the best!

C1E is already disabled, busratio didn't help. I couldn't find any advice in chat channel, either :)

ok, I give up, thanks for your help theconnactic.

Boot0: done is not an AMD related issue, but a Chameleon one. Try to get assistance here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/forum/329-chameleon/

It's an annoying issue, bit it's easy to solve. Good luck!

ok, I give up, thanks for your help theconnactic.

You're welcome! :) Sorry not being able to rescue you from this frustration. Frustration is always a possibility when setting up a hackintosh, specially with AMD.

If you're going to switch to Intel, get advice from SS01 in the chat, he built a stable machine from really affordable parts. :)

All the best!

Thanks, maybe I'll give it a shot. In my last go at Lion, there was hardly even 32 bit support, and I rely on 64 bit for FCPX (I'm a videographer). If it's stable and 64 bit capable, maybe I'll settle for Lion for now :)

Thanks, maybe I'll give it a shot. In my last go at Lion, there was hardly even 32 bit support, and I rely on 64 bit for FCPX (I'm a videographer). If it's stable and 64 bit capable, maybe I'll settle for Lion for now :)

Just go for it: these days, Lion is the most stable release of OSX for AMD machines, by far. All your 64-bit apps should work, since the kernel was perfected to seamlessly support 64-bit user processes (apps, core services) with no performance loss. However, the drivers (kexts) for your hardware must be 32-bit (because the stable kernel version it's the 32-bit one - you can boot it in 64-bit mode, but then you'll have the same graphics artifacts as with Mountain Lion).

All the best!

any new kernels to test/play with???

Not yet: we're waiting for the XNU sources of the 10.8.3 kernel.

• Like 1

Just go for i t: these days, Lion is the most stable release of OSX for AMD machines, by far. All your 64-bit apps should work, since the kernel was perfected to seamlessly support 64-bit user processes (apps, core services) with no performance loss. However, the drivers (kexts) for your hardware are 32-bit (because it's a 32-bit kernel - you can boot it in 64-bit mode, but then you'll have the same graphics artifacts as with Mountain Lion).

All the best!

I also have an Nvidia GTX 550 TI I could use instead, would I be able to run 64 bit drivers with it?

***EDIT: ...should probably mention that using the Nvidia card only allows me to boot into safe mode in Mountain Lion. Regular boot hangs right before the login GUI is supposed to load. Anything I can do there...?

I also have an Nvidia GTX 550 TI I could use instead, would I be able to run 64 bit drivers with it?

Not at all: nVidia graphics solutions are even less compatible with 64-bit AMD kernels (since they all share the same patchset thus the same bug) and won't even boot at all. If some of your hardware needs 64-bit kexts, you should either 1) wait for a fix in the kernel, 2) switch to intel or 3) buy a cheap or refurbished ATI card that is proven to work either in Lion 64-bit or ML, like Radeon HD4xxx and the HD5450 (which i have and am fully satisfied with it).

Not at all: nVidia graphics solutions are even less compatible with 64-bit AMD kernels (since they all share the same patchset thus the same bug) and won't even boot at all. If some of your hardware needs 64-bit kexts, you should either 1) wait for a fix in the kernel, 2) switch to intel or 3) buy a cheap or refurbished ATI card that is proven to work either in Lion 64-bit or ML, like Radeon HD4xxx and the HD5450 (which i have and am fully satisfied with it).

You think I'd be good to edit 1080p video in FCPX with that card? That's all the power I really need. I have another Windows 8 machine for gaming :)

I can get a Gigabyte 5450 for $36 on eBay. Just wanna be sure I'll be able to render video sufficiently. If not I guess I just have to stick with SL until a fix comes along :(

***EDIT: just to let anyone know who might be curious, I've tested this kernel with both an XFX 5750 & a Gigabyte 6850, both have graphic artifacts. Also tried a nVidia GTX 550 ti, GT430 & 8400GS, which all hang at the login GUI. I just can't win!! :( My laptop has an Intel X3100 gfx chip in it too, which isn't ML compatible either! I can't even win on an Intel chipse! LMAO

You think I'd be good to edit 1080p video in FCPX with that card? That's all the power I really need. I have another Windows 8 machine for gaming :)

Which card? The Sapphire 5450 silent 1GB model i have? Well, my AMD rig is a HTPC plugged via HDMI to a 40'' led TV at 1080p res. I can play games at 1080p with any perceptible graphics corruption and at a reasonable FPS, always considering the graphics card's limitations. I can watch 1080p movies as well with no stuttering that i have noticed (but mostly watch 720p movies at 1920x1080). I honestly don't know if that means something for your particular case. The best solution is you to borrow one of them from someone to test, if it's possible.

Bear in mind that the 4xxx series works and they range from low end to hi-end, all of them appearing to be working fine in 64-bit kernel mode. Perhaps you can find a refurb HD 4890 at a reasonable price.

Are we talking 10.7 as well? No nVidia support? Or just on ML?

• Like 1

P.S.: ADHDMedia, i'll move our posts to the help topic, do you mind?

All the best!

Doesn't bother me :) So I might give that 5450 a go. Sounds like it wouldn't be a problem. Plus I can probably grab one at Best Buy to test and then return it and get it off eBay for 1/2 price LMAO!

So just to be clear: I can't use any of my nVidia cards (listed above) for either ML or 64 bit Lion? Thanks again for all the info.

• Like 1

10.7 as well, but only in 64-bit kernel mode. 32-bit will do fine with both the nVidia and ATI you'll have, and will run any 64-bit app, then there's no point to run a 64-bit kernel with 10.7.x!

So just to be clear: I can't use any of my nVidia cards (listed above) for either ML or 64 bit Lion? Thanks again for all the info.

Yeah, unfortunately that's the current status.

10.7 as well, but only in 64-bit kernel mode. 32-bit will do fine with both the nVidia and ATI you'll have, and will run any 64-bit app, then there's no point to run a 64-bit kernel with 10.7.x!

Yeah, unfortunately that's the current status.

Yup, 64 bit support is all I need. 10.7 it is! Thanks again :)

• Like 1

Yup, 64 bit support is all I need. 10.7 it is! Thanks again :)

You're welcome. Install Lion 10.7.5 (you'll need to buy it from a reseller) using the latest Bronzovka's (a.k.a Bronya) 10.7.5 RC8 kernel. You can find it at the topic here in the forum, kernel database, first post - there's a link for a list of kernels.

You're welcome. Install Lion 10.7.5 (you'll need to buy it from a reseller) using the latest Bronzovka's (a.k.a Bronya) 10.7.5 RC8 kernel. You can find it at the topic here in the forum, kernel database, first post - there's a link for a list of kernels.

Already purchased, setting up my USB stick as we speak! Getting ready to give it a go. I just wanna be past Snow Leopard, I feel like I'm living in the stone age (even tho Lion and ML aren't THAT much different). Companies are dropping 10.6 support for software left and right, so I need to get up to date ASAP :)

Hi guys,

I'm thinking about buying logic pro 9 for my lion build.

But logic says it is for intel processors, so will it work with our amd's?

Don't want to waste so much money ;)

(it sounds like a stupid question: will a carwash for small cars work with big cars? But you never know :) and i was hoping to use logic)