HD 7xxx-Can we eliminate the Sleep Trick?

eep357

188 posts in this topic

In my poor compression i think this.. in a real mac pro ( efi ) the card is not initialized like in the PC ( bios ) , and because this it don't have boot screen until mod the bios to make it efi... like i said pages before, maybe we need turn our cards to efi for eliminate the white screen bug... this is my theory .

What causes the white screen with the AMD 6850/70 during installation of Mac OS X? This could be related.

Also Sapphire GPUs roms seem to have a lot of issues at the moment so if you due have a Sapphire card and have a card with dual BIOS to use another rom from another manufacture for testing.

Let us know if graphics acceleration loaded too! If not, it is same as safe boot would do, which doesn't require sleep trick, seems only when ATI7000Controller.kext loads does it become a problem.

> alex@box [~] kextstat | grep -i amd
60	2 0xffffff7f814d1000 0x72000	0x72000	com.apple.kext.AMDSupport (8.1.0) <51 10 9 7 5 4 3 1>
61	0 0xffffff7f8155f000 0x1e8000 0x1e8000 com.apple.kext.AMD7000Controller (8.1.0) <60 51 10 9 5 4 3 1>
64	0 0xffffff7f81bed000 0x3b8000 0x3b8000 com.apple.AMDRadeonAccelerator (1.0.6) <63 62 51 10 7 5 4 3 1>
81	0 0xffffff7f81543000 0x14000	0x14000	com.apple.kext.AMDFramebuffer (8.1.0) <60 51 10 9 7 5 4 3 1>

Video acceleration definitely works. Diablo 3 shows some weird resolutions, though.

That might be related to the framebuffer I set.

ioreg shows 4 ports with Hamachi framebuffer.

EDIT:

ioreg snippets for GE=Yes and GE=No:

ioreg_7870.zip

EDIT2:

Reverting from Hamachi back to the unpatched Aji fixed the resolution.

Edited by k3nny

Clover version? Fully removing DSDT required or just GPU edits, or just letting Clover Injection handle GPU part only? It tries to pick Hamachi vs Aji for me too iirc, but just letting Clover handle GPU part hadn't ever worked in the past.

Some info on bypassing the "Sleep Trick"

Hardware requirements:

• UEFI capable motherboard
  • HD 7000 series video card, obviously

Software requirements:

• EFI capable video card VBIOS (UEFI GOP)
  • UEFI boot manager - currently only Clover is capable of UEFI mode

Should you not meet the hardware requirements, then this is not for you.

Should you meet them, check your VBIOS for GOP support. One way to do it is to dump it with GPU-Z for instance and check the area 0x10000 to 0x20000 with a hex editor.

If all you can see is an ongoing sequence of same bits, then your VBIOS does not contain the GOP driver and you will have to turn to the manufacturer for an update. Another way is simply flash another similar card's VBIOS which is known to support GOP. This is very experimental though and I can not recommend it.

Once you made sure that your card supports GOP, set up Clover in UEFI mode. These might be very few words on the subject but let's not misuse this thread and stick to the topic. Use Clover's GraphicsEnabler and find out which framebuffer works for you, most probably "Aji" will do it.

That's all. I'm sure that there must be other ways to get around it but this is what has worked for me.

If you want to inject the video properties by yourself, this should be the minimum needed to get around the bug:

Example with an XFX Radeon HD 7870 (Vendor Id: 1002, Device Id: 6818) set to use the Aji framebuffer with all its 4 ports:

"model",
Buffer (0x13)
{
"XFX Radeon HD 7870"
},
"ATY,DeviceID",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x18, 0x68
},
"@0,name",
Buffer (0x0D)
{
"ATY,Aji"
},
"@1,name",
Buffer (0x0D)
{
"ATY,Aji"
},
"@2,name",
Buffer (0x0D)
{
"ATY,Aji"
},
"@3,name",
Buffer (0x0D)
{
"ATY,Aji"
}

Edited by k3nny

I believe you should post in the Clover support thread if you have any problems with the bootloader itself.

The settings for a 7870 are in my previous post (GraphicsEnabler=Yes, FBName=Aji).

I currently know that Gigabyte and MSI provide hybrid EFI VBIOSes on their support pages / forums.

You should take a look.

Thanks for the advice ! i will try now from a usb boot whit clover!

My board is a asus r4 gene.. when you say " - enabling Compatibility Support Module (CSM) with UEFI prioritization: works " is enable this feature in the efi bios.. right ?

Ok. i have only two questions now:

What options did you use in the clover installation ? i mean clover efi options and drivers.. etc

Can you post your your clover config.plist ?

Thanks !

You should read this post first: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/282787-clover-v2-instructions/?do=findComment&comment=1852956

You will need HFSPlus, OsxFatBinary and OsxAptioFix in drivers64UEFI.

I use Clover in UEFI mode with these settings:

clover9uuyk.jpg

- dsdt.aml.1 does not exist

- KextsToPatch contains an SSD Trim patch

These might not be the optimal settings but that's how far I am currently.

EDIT:

Updated my post above in case you do not want to use Clover's injection.

Edited by k3nny
  • Like 1

No clue where to get the EFI part :( Nothing in Sapphire forums of use. I currently have this BIOS http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/123523/Sapphire.HD7970.3072.120628.html flashed to it which is for any reference design card to make it a Ghz edition, it replaces the sub vendor ID with a generic AMD one so card does not come up as a "Sapphire" card, but not sure if a EFI version from any other reference card would work? (it should tho)

As long as it is made for the same architecture it should work but I can't promise anything of course.

You should check the MSI forum, I'm sure you will find something usable there.

Ohh.. my mistake.. did you use a "Hybrid EFI VBIOS" for you gpu ? then this will be more complicated because i never see a efi rom for a 7970 :(

In this case maybe netkas can help us making the efi rom to work whit his app : http://netkas.org/?p=943

Edit: now i have mi 7970 whit the gop uefi vbios flashed !!

Now the i will fight again whit the clover installation..

I got always a black screen after boot UEFI USB :( , but a know this is not the post to call for help ! :)

Edit again:

Whit the BIG help of k3nny i have my clover boot working fine , but i got the same white screen and need the sleep trick :( maybe another 7970 owner ( without a x79 board like me ) can test and report !!!

I was use DOS ATIflash, but just -p flag, what is option for force?. Also got response from Sapphire! :

At this point we do not offer this, AMD will provide such info and update on their site. please check back later.

Booo :(