Dell Optiplex GX620

thesaz123

14 posts in this topic

Hello,

I recently picked up a Dell Optiplex GX620 on craigslist for a great deal. (less than $50) It's in great cosmetic shape, runs extremely well, etc. I picked it up specifically due to the fact that I knew they work well for hackintoshing. The specific one I picked up has a 2.8GHz Pentium D processor, and 2GB of DDR2 SDRAM.

I've been looking around online for guides to put OS X on the machine, and all the guides I've found have been outdated/only for Snow Leopard.

My questions are: Does anyone know of an updated guide for possibly putting Lion on the computer? I'm happy with Snow Leopard, but i'd be more happy with Lion. (Video tutorials are ALWAYS preferred)

Second question: Does anyone know of a low-profile PCI wifi card that works with OS X and this computer? I don't have any way to run ethernet to the place I will be housing the computer, so that is out of the question for now (unless I invest in a powerline ethernet adapter, which I plan on doing).

Third question: Will the integrated graphics on this thing be sufficient for web browsing and viewing HD youtube videos? If not, is there a GPU that works with this computer and OS X that I should invest in?

Finally: What is the max amount of RAM for this computer? I heard somewhere that it was 4GB, and I plan on maxing it out. Is 4GB of DDR2 enough for Lion?

Thanks!

You might be able to install lion on your pc you have. I have the same model, 4 GB RAM (Max), Intel Core Solo 3.00GHz, Intel GMA 950. First off, the Intel GMA 950 Graphics does great with HD video. I tried running Minecraft on it but it was very laggy. The Intel Core Solo 3.00GHz processor does great for a server, specifically speaking of a Minecraft server. I can do a lot of things on it at once. And for the 4 GB RAM, it keeps the computer running really fast and smooth. For wireless, I just use a USB WLAN adapter from eBay. It works great. Now I have 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) running on it right now because I do not dare to mess with it any further. I like it the way it is. (What I'm about to tell you might not work. I don't know. I will reply back after I test it) To put lion you might be able to use the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] (from tonymacx86.com) to put the 10.7 install on a usb stick (You have to use a mac/hackintosh something running mac os x). Then just boot off the usb and go through the os x installer. After that you might try booting with the usb and choose the mac disk. when you get on the desktop try running the same things for after installing snow leopard (those files are in the attachments). after that try using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] - lion (also from tonymacx86.com) and install the nessary files for lion. One thing you can't do is use mountain lion because it does not support intel gma 950 graphics. As soon as i get the stuff for my other gx620, if the instructions work i will make a video tutorial.

gx620.zip

i was actually considering using it for a MC server computer. It has socket lga775 for the cpu, so i may pick up a C2D or a C2Q off of ebay for cheap. I found a usb wireless-n card in my box of pc parts, and, after researching, found it works with OS X! Now to just upgrade the RAM...

I actually think i'll just stick with snow leopard. Any suggestions for a distro?

i dont think the gx620 can hadle a core2 or quad... check first.

pentium D usualy needs legacy kernel.

this mini pci-e to pci-e adapter should do it with addon wifi card like AR5B91

http://www.insanelym...mico-atx-build/

http://www.amfeltec....cie-adapter.php

or get this

http://www.ebay.com/...i-/130501831715

and cut and bend the long plate.

If you are going to stick with Snow leopard, this http://www.insanelym...optiplex-gx620/ is the guide that you want and there is a video to go along with it.

It is well worth upgrading your processor to a Intel ® Pentium ® D 820 dual core. They are cheap and really speed things up.

I was going to base it off of that guide. I'll look into getting on of those Pentium D's for an upgrade. I just purchased some 8.5GB DVDs tonight, and I am in the process of burning a snow leopard disk.

Thanks everyone for the help! I got OS X 10.6.8 up and running on my machine, sound and Ethernet both work! Now I just have to figure out how to get my USB wireless adapter working...

Thanks everyone for the help! I got OS X 10.6.8 up and running on my machine, sound and Ethernet both work! Now I just have to figure out how to get my USB wireless adapter working...

u have to add EHCI device to dsdt.

Can you explain how to do that?

i usually i find a dsdt from another dell that has EHCI and it looks similar.

its not for a beginner.

dsdt editor has some patches but i dont think its in there. (i had a patch but i dunno where i put it)

didi u remove irqs in dsdt ?

thats if this is the issue.. what usb wireless is it ? are u sure its supported in osx ?

i usually i find a dsdt from another dell that has EHCI and it looks similar.

its not for a beginner.

dsdt editor has some patches but i dont think its in there. (i had a patch but i dunno where i put it)

didi u remove irqs in dsdt ?

thats if this is the issue.. what usb wireless is it ? are u sure its supported in osx ?

I got the driver for the wireless adapter working! It works great :)

Anyone have any suggestions for pci-e x16 GPUS that work with OS X out of the box? It needs to be a low-profile card. Thanks