Asus P8Z77-V LK

k3nny

114 posts in this topic

I am looking to download your files as well. I just purchased this board as a replacement for an older Gigabyte build (GA-Z77X-UP7) that went on the fritz.

Since I have never built anything with this board; your guide seemed to be the best place to start . . .

What exactly did you try and what were the results? I can't help you without any details.

Basically you need to make sure that the "layout-id" property is present in your registry (use IORegistryExplorer) and set to the value of 1. In addition you need to have a patched AppleHDA.kext, which I believe is done by one of toleda's scripts. I find his tutorials a bit confusing, but once you find what you need, it should work.

See https://github.com/toleda/audio_RealtekALC and scroll down to item "C. Installation".

Sorry for not giving more details . . .

When I tried the method you are referring to; I would try and run the script, which would fail with this message:

"S/L/E/AppleHDA.kext is not native

Install native AppleHDA.kext

No system files were changed

To save a Copy to this Terminal session: Terminal/Shell/Export Text As ...

logout

[Process completed]"

I believe it is because the registry is missing the "layout-id" you described. I opened my registry with IORegistryExplorer; and I tried to search for: "layout-id", which returned no results. 

I am not sure where to properly insert it. 

I did have mild success with VoodooHDA; but the sound quality is terrible. It has a constant HISS in the background . . .

Thanks for your help!

-EDIT-

I reinstalled the original AppleHDA.kext from a backup. Then I ran the script again. It returned this:

"No audio codec detected

To save a Copy to this Terminal session: Terminal/Shell/Export Text As ...

logout

[Process completed]"

Which points to the missing registry entry you mentioned . . . .

"S/L/E/AppleHDA.kext is not native" means you already have a modified AppleHDA installed at /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext. Replace it with the original one from your installation image first. Afterwards try running the script again. It should work this time.

Make sure you delete all files from VoodooHDA, otherwise they will cause problems. I would recommend you to use the AppleHDA method, it usually works fine.

For injecting the layout-id, see http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/Devices#Audio-/-Inject.

So I did reinstall a backup copy of a vanilla AppleHDA.kext. 

I had not yet wiped out the VooDooHDA.kext; but did after reading your response. 

I looked at the link you gave for injecting the audio property string; and I am still unsure where this should be inserted.

Can this be entered into the config.plist?

At this point I do not have a DSDT file . . .

I tried to use the Patches developed by PJALM; and I got two errors when compiling. I have left a message on his board to try and sort that out.

If you could give me just a little more detail on where/how-to add the Audio Property I would really appreciate it. 

Thanks for your help. 

After looking further at my "config.plist" I discovered this is already there:

</dict>

<key>Devices</key>
<dict>
             <key>Audio</key>
             <dict>
                          <key>Inject</key>
                          <string>Detect</string>

-Which is confusing; considering that the IORegistry does not have what it needs . . . 

Yes, most parts of the wiki explain the different config.plist settings and their effects.

Replace <string>Detect</string> with <string>1</string> and reboot. Afterwards check the registry again, if you have no sound.

A modified DSDT file is not really mandatory for this board. Maybe put this topic aside for now. In a week I will re-upload the attachments and you will save yourself some time.

I have system running without DSDT currently and have sound working fine. I used vanilla AppleHDA and used Toleda's patch (clover method). I installed clover in my EFI partition, have audio ID as 1, check AppleHDA, HDMI in config.plist, run patch, reboot, I have sound working including HDMI.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi mcolinp,

did you change/update anything?

If I remember correctly, the two lowest USB ports near the ethernet port were the Intel ones and above them are the ASMedia USB ports. Either way, you should make sure that Zenith's kext is installed and running.