Asus P8Z77-V LK

k3nny

114 posts in this topic

Hi. Thank you so much for very detailed guide. So happy to find this post.

I am getting ASUS P8Z77-V LK today to replace my Giga board and wanted to be prepared before using it.

I have questions.

I notice ASUS has MSR lock thus you need to patch bios to use speedstep so I thought you can use Clover ASUS patch to unlock? Am I wrong? because I see you have ASUS patch false in config.plist and have 1402 ROM which is patched.

Also if I use patched 1402 rom, must i use Osxaptio thing in clover?

Looking at your config.plist, there are patches you mentioned in DSDT patch. does that mean using your config.plist (of course I will need to mod for my spec) makes not needing DSDT? or do I still need DSDT?

Hi todesto,

you are right. You can just use the config option "AsusAICPUPM" and be done with it. I didn't want to turn on too many options, that might not be needed, and pointed to it in the first post instead.

At least HFSPlus, OsxFatBinaryDrv and OsxAptioFixDrv as drivers are needed for Clover.

I run OS X without any additional DSDT file and didn't see any disadvantages yet. A limitation is that patching is much more difficult and complicated patches are nearly impossible to do. In any case, you can use a DSDT file, as long as you adjust the SystemMemory addresses to your system.

Hi todesto,

you are right. You can just use the config option "AsusAICPUPM" and be done with it. I didn't want to turn on too many options, that might not be needed, and pointed to it in the first post instead.

At least HFSPlus, OsxFatBinaryDrv and OsxAptioFixDrv as drivers are needed for Clover.

I run OS X without any additional DSDT file and didn't see any disadvantages yet. A limitation is that patching is much more difficult and complicated patches are nearly impossible to do. In any case, you can use a DSDT file, as long as you adjust the SystemMemory addresses to your system.

Thank you for quick reply. I'd like to use DSDT rather than patching thru clover (I'm just little more comfortable with it), however you mention system memory address in DSDT? Do you mean you have RAM specified in your DSDT? I have 16GB.  I also don't have RAMB in my current DSDT.  Do I need extract new DSDT and match?

I mean the system memory addresses assigned by the BIOS, which are written in the DSDT. They can change, especially if you reflash your BIOS, and influence system stability, e.g. break sleep (take a look at the spoiler in the DSDT section).

Clover can adjust them automatically, if you use the fixes "NewWay_80000000" and "FixRegions_10000000".

EDIT: Nevermind, I already set them in my config file. Nothing to worry about.

@K3nny.  I got the board and installed DSDT and config.plist with fix that I need. 

I have Mountain Lion and Yosemite installed two HDD. when I boot ML, it seems to recognize hardware including my HD6870 HDMI thus plays sound.

When i boot Yosemite, nothing works like sound, wifi, then when I put system to sleep, wake, then wifi, sound (NO HDMI) all starts to work. Is this normal behavior in yosemite?  I still can't get my HDMI sound work after wake still yet it works on Mountain Lion. Really throws me off. 

Weird. Now it boots fine. 

Now about the DSDT editing. I like to have system wake by mouse or keyboard. Your DSDT has "AAPL,clock-id" to prevent wake by USB devices. Do I just remove all those? I see four of them in DSDT.

I have stock 1402 bios and want to flash with your modded 1402, do I need to flash back to 1001 then flash to 1402 as it has write protection?

K3nny, is your sound working properly. I got the AppleHDA from the link you provided in #1 and using your config.plist but the sound is coming out of Black and Orange port, not from green port. Is this normal?

Hi todesto,

When using DSDT, do I still use the config.plist you provided?

you can use it, but you need to remove Devices/Properties from your configuration file and disable Devices/Inject.

I have stock 1402 bios and want to flash with your modded 1402, do I need to flash back to 1001 then flash to 1402 as it has write protection?

Correct. You won't be able to flash a modified version with 1402 due to the write protection. Revert to 1001 and the protection is lifted.

K3nny, is your sound working properly. I got the AppleHDA from the link you provided in #1 and using your config.plist but the sound is coming out of Black and Orange port, not from green port. Is this normal?

I doubt that. I use stereo speakers and connected them to the green port. Try removing Devices/Properties first and see, if that helps.

Which AppleHDA do you use? You might want to try another version.

Never mind. Stupid me. I didn't notice my volume level was at 0 when clicked internal speaker. Green port is working fine.

• Like 1

Sorry for many questions. Now I am just using config.plist w/o DSDT and the system only wakes with power button. What DSDT patch do I need to remove to have system awake by USB devices?

Hi, that'ts fine. I was a bit busy the last days, didn't have much sleep, and had to focus on other things.

You only need to change the section Devices/Properties in your config.plist and remove all "AAPL,clock-id" lines.

I wrote a small how-to earlier in this thread, take a look: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285697-asus-p8z77-v-lk/?p=1955132.

I hope this helps.

Thanks. Do you have system freezing issue after a use for a while? It randomly freezes so that I have to reboot. Could this be my graphic card HD6870 problem? if it panics right away, it would give me a idea but after 3-4 hour then freezing..... confused.

No. everything works normally, then it jiust stops. sometimes, it will just reboot. using your DSDT and config does same thing, so

I extracted DSDT using Maciasl and patched using Pjalm and Toleda clean UEFI patch and applied dedicated graphic card patch. Can you take a look if that could be a problem? I got my config.plist as minimal as possible also.

ACPI/DSDT/Fixes - since you use a patched DSDT, disable Clover's DSDT fixes. Just keep NewWay_80000000 and enable FixRegions_10000000 to be on the safe side.

ACPI/SSDT/DropOem - disable it. Use Pike's script to generate an SSDT for your CPU and you won't need (and should not) to drop any OEM tables.

Devices/Audio/Inject - audio is patched in your DSDT, disable it.

Otherwise it looks good.

I don't know what Pjalm's and toleda's patches do exactly, but the DSDT looks fine at first sight.

Thank you.

from reading other thread, I thought you have to DropOEM SSDT = Yes, Generate P, C state = No when you have SSDT in ACPI/patched folder.

I was using Z68 board with same stuffs and never had problem freezing or panic once I booted and got it going. (I had to check fixHPET in config.plist, without it, the system will boot operate for about 3, 4 minutes then will have kernel panic)  So I am thinking it has to do with something similar?

The difference I have with this Z77 board is I don't my HD6870 identified in DSDT.  Freezing after using 4.5 hour usage could be from Graphic card?

but it seems it freezes right around 4 hour usage.  So I am thinking it has to do with power management.  I was using SSDT made from Z68 board, so I remade SSDT from this board.

I also edited IOPlatformplugin to get speedstep working as macbook pro8,3 ( I have MacPro5,1 SMBIOS) and HD6870 added to AGPM (added to FakeSMC).  But cold this cause freeze after 4+ hour usage? when you have bad kext, it should panic right away upon boot?