Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

First of all - Thanks for this great tutorial!!!!

It worked ALMOST perfect for me. It boots nicely from my usb but it crashes if I boot from HD.

I'm using the latest Clover version (Clover_v2.3k_r3346) and the latest T420-Zip (T420_UEFI-Clover-b3348_10.9_10.10_10.11_2016-02-11.zip)

Hope you can help...

post-1670929-0-60234800-1455523245_thumb.jpg

@CaptainX 

if boots from the USB (presuming UEFI mode), then i am thinking you don't quite have the same (exact) thing copied to your HD ESP?

is your bios set to boot UEFI first?

OMG - I triple checked yesterday but now I found the problem:

sudo mkdir /Volumes/ESP

sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/ESP

test ! -e /Volumes/ESP/EFI && mkdir /Volumes/ESP/EFI

# THIS LINE is WRONG!!!!!

sudo cp -a ~/Downloads/T420/EFI/* /Volumes/ESP

cd /Volumes/ESP/EFI/CLOVER

mv config.1600x900.plist config.plist

Correct:

sudo cp -~/Downloads/T420/EFI/* /Volumes/ESP/EFI

It boots perfect now!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

{censored} - my bad - i changed that part of the instructions to make sure any existing things in the EFI don't get blasted, such as pre-existing microsoft EFI etc) - fixed the error in the guide now.

No props - glad we found the problem. I'm so impressed how well the notebook runs with OSX thank to your instructions and prepared files! 

@verleinix - not sure on 10.11.x.... Unless it comes with a new/updated El Capitan driver, you may have to downgrade to Yosemite and use the GenericXHCI driver.  For several years i used that same card. But last year, I punted it out in favor of a FresnoLogic based 4-port USB3 card as there is native OS support.

i don't know about FL1000. But the FL1100 chipset has native support (no extra kexts needed).

search on this: 4 Port USB 3.0 HUB to ExpressCard 34mm Adapter Converter 5.0Gbps FL1100 Chipset

I bought one on amazon for something like $12 US.

@taowu - not sure what you are asking?

@somez - since it is not a mac magic trackpad you can't do everything - but the lenovo touchpad can do some 2 and 3 finger stuff - there are mappings in the VoodooPS2Keyboard kext to change the actions. i set to do safari back/forward for 3 finger swipe - it takes some practice to get the fingers in the right spot - point them to side of computer and swipe.

@somez - since it is not a mac magic trackpad you can't do everything - but the lenovo touchpad can do some 2 and 3 finger stuff - there are mappings in the VoodooPS2Keyboard kext to change the actions. i set to do safari back/forward for 3 finger swipe - it takes some practice to get the fingers in the right spot - point them to side of computer and swipe.

tluck, any GUI for that mapping? Thnx.

tluck, Somez - check this out...

and the Guy put this T420 hackintosh guide on his youtube film... so the question is how he did it? :)

PS - @tluck, many thx again about this guide and your help. I've just bought artheros wifi, installed modded bios and finally have wifi fully working... all takes not longer than half hour to update modded bios and switch wifi cards...

chears!

I understand the size of our touchpads is somewhat limiting what multitouch gestures should be implemented and what not.

Are you sure the 3 finger swipe gesture is implemented for Safari? It does nothing on my machine.

That YouTube video from karlamba is very cool, can't we get to that point somehow?

Thanks.

the youtube guy used this thread and it means he was probably using the same VoodooPS2Controller kext you have. youtube said i watched this video 2 years ago - hard to believe its been that long!

anyway, yes i implemented the swipe left right for safari. it is really up to you to decide what you want the swipes/gestures to control. the system prefs trackpad options is a clue that there a  big difference between a magic trackpad and what is implemented for the synaptic trackpad.

like i said it takes some patience to get 3 finger gestures working. i found that arranging your fingers so that they are pointing to the side vs toward lcd  such that a swipe gives a finger its own swipe lane works best.

2 finger scrolling is a a bit easier to master.

Thanks a lot for the very detailed guide, crafted with top Hackintosh knowledge.

Such guides make setting up OS X easy as eating cake. (Given one buys compatible hardware beforehand)

On a side note, even my Ricoh card reader is doing its job with the edited VoodooSDHC kext.

Although I was very comfortable with my vintage T60, this new power house is really impressing.

Just my eyes are becoming a bit weak for a fourteen inch 1600x900. :)

fnd.png

Edit: The Ricoh beast stopped working as soon as I really put some load on it.

Edit2: Upgrade to 10.11.4 and the new AppleHDA_20672.kext is working so far.

A few graphic glitches do occur, though. :(

@tluck

hi, thanks for your very detailed guide.

My T420 works well, but I'm using a nano USB wifi adapter instead of internal wifi adapter, and the internet speed is not very well. I'm planning to replace the stock intel adapter by a broadcom adapter, such as BCM94322HM8L (native OS X support?). Which wifi adapter are you using? Can you give me some selections with good performance like stock intel adapter?

@goodguest - yeah these Lenovo boxes - even the old but trusty T60 - just seem to keep on working.  

@tuyengan - you are welcome. for wifi - search this thread for atheros and you can read a number of posts on this topic over the past couple of years.

@tluck

hi, thanks for your very detailed guide.

My T420 works well, but I'm using a nano USB wifi adapter instead of internal wifi adapter, and the internet speed is not very well. I'm planning to replace the stock intel adapter by a broadcom adapter, such as BCM94322HM8L (native OS X support?). Which wifi adapter are you using? Can you give me some selections with good performance like stock intel adapter?

tuyegan, the BCM94322HM8L works like a charm. You can look for it also as Dell DW1510. I can send you a free one if you like. They are very cheap on Ebay. But you will have to reflash the BIOS for the T420 can accept the card (White List).

The Atheros  AR5BXB92 also works right, but i found much better performance with the Dell.

I can send you a free DW1510 if you like. I have one or two that I`m not using.