Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

here is my update du-jour!

getting rid of custom kexts in SLE...

replaced the AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext with vanilla - this replaces the 4th port with VGA via Clover! (just like in the old pack)

<key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>
       <dict>
               <key>AppleRTC</key>
               <true/>
               <key>AsusAICPUPM</key>
               <true/>
               <key>Debug</key>
               <false/>
               <key>KextsToPatch</key>
               <array>
                       <dict>
                               <key>Comment</key>
                               <string>Replace 4th port with VGA</string>
                               <key>Find</key>
                               <data>
                               AQIEABAHAAAQBwAABQMAAAIAAAAwAAAAAgUAAAAEAAAH
                               AAAAAwQAAAAEAAAJAAAABAYAAAAEAAAJAAAA
                               </data>
                               <key>Name</key>
                               <string>AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB</string>
                               <key>Replace</key>
                               <data>
                               AQIEABAHAAAQBwAABQMAAAIAAAAwAAAAAgUAAAAEAAAH
                               AAAAAwQAAAAEAAAJAAAABgIAABAAAAAJAAAA
                               </data>
                       </dict>
               </array>
       </dict>

• Like 2

@tluck - yes very nice indeed!

I saw you are using patched AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext and wanted to suggest you patching it via Clover but I see we have came up in a great understanding in the Clover subject. :)

Now that we have custom kexts patching going can I suggest patching AppleHDA.kext using clover and adding custom rc shoutdown script for replacing the:

- AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext/Contents/Info.plist

- layout12.xml.zlib

- Platforms.xml.zlib

I'm very busy lately with my job and familly. That is why I'm going to stay in the shadow for some time. Keep up the good work tluck - You'r on fire! :)

• Like 1

Updated June 18-2013 - revised pack b1858 - see post #242

Updated June-03-2013:

• revised DSDT (again),
  • updated Clover b1794, added darkwake=10 to bootargs in config.plist
  • updated VoodooPS2Controller v1.8.4 and FakeSMC v5.1.67 from Rehabman released may-26

@Kogen - no worries. Clover has been fun and educational! I think i will leave things as they are as far as custom kexts vs clover patched. the list of custom kexts is down to a manageable number now:

$ ls -1d *.kext

AppleACPIPlatform.kext (v.1.3.5 -- sleep/wake and battery)

AppleHDA.kext

AppleIntelE1000e.kext

FakeSMC.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext (Note:this is for DVD injection as internal)

VoodooBattery.kext

VoodooPS2Controller.kext

I did rework my DSDT. i was frustrated with sleep/wake - so I let clover auto patch it. I then extracted it and retrofitted some of goodies manwe150 put in a while back. fanspeed control with Think button, temp monitor stuff, brightness keys (scrlck/pause buttons).

Anyway this lead me to revising the HPET section and futzing with IRQs. So long story short, i found that just specifying 1 IRQ in the HPET makes it sleep/wake better.

Update - went back to 4 IRQS - but selected 8,11,14,15 - these seem to work as good or better than using just irq 11 in dsdt.

now my eSATA will actually wake up versus disaspear. And also the USB ports seem to stay alive - USB mouse used to go away and need to be reset after 1 or 2 sleep/wake cycles. So i would say sleep is now working 99.9% now versus before it was hit or miss.

For consideration, attached is (see updated post) an updated Clover OEM folder with new DSDT (aml and dsl) - with DualLink removed so Low/High res LCD work as long you set in config.plist.

Note: occasionally I lose the trackpad after sleep - can either do ctrl-alt-delete (i installed the voodooPS2daemon) or attach usb mouse to recover.

• Like 1

@tluck - hmm just IRQ1 you say. Strange. Have you cleaned and rebuild caches after that? When making changes in DSDT always test it against fresh/stock settings. I gues cleaning nvram would also be a good idea.

OK. I must be doing something very wrong since every other poster has gotten this to work. Can you point out where I am going wrong:

1. Used LionMaker to build bootable USB drive - tried using both an 8GB and a 32GB drive.

2. Installed the Custom Clover Package to the USB Drive above (using all the default options).

3. Installation fails with the following:

lover EFI installer log - Thu May 23 16:17:56 PDT 2013
Installer version: v2 r1625 EFI bootloader
======================================================
/dev/disk0
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk0
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS OSX_USB2 499.8 GB disk0s2
/dev/disk1
0: FDisk_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk1
1: Windows_NTFS 262.1 GB disk1s1
2: Windows_NTFS Data 237.9 GB disk1s5
/dev/disk2
0: GUID_partition_scheme *32.0 GB disk2
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk2s1
2: Apple_HFS OS X Mountain Lion I... 31.7 GB disk2s2
/dev/disk3
0: Apple_partition_scheme *18.5 MB disk3
1: Apple_partition_map 32.3 KB disk3s1
2: Apple_HFS Flash Player 18.4 MB disk3s2
Can't find volume with the name /Volumes/OS X Mountain Lion Install Disk - 10.8.3

I also tried just installing your Clover package on a FAT32 formatted drive with the same result. I even went so far as to download the uncustomized Clover and I'm still getting the same error. Gotta be somthing simple/stupid that I'm doing. Any ideas?

Thanks!

@sonic5397 - no idea why you cant write to your USB? I presume you selected /dev/disk2 since disk3 is not the right format. you just need to partition the USB stick in GUID mode. Lion Disk maker reformats it anyway if i recall.

with clover - select alternative installation - select OS X ... and use custom install - select write to ESP.

I assume you dont have the ESP already mounted. instead of writing to the ESP you can have the installer write the root and then just manually copy the EFI folder to the ESP partition.

use these command lines (assuming disk2 is the USB)

sudo -s

mkdir /mnt

mount -t msdos /dev/disk2s1 /mnt

cp -rp /EFI /mnt

umount /mnt

exit

Clover EFI installer log - Thu May 23 20:27:27 EDT 2013

Installer version: v2 r1717 EFI bootloader

/dev/disk0

0: GUID_partition_scheme *750.2 GB disk0

2: Apple_HFS OSX+ 698.3 GB disk0s2

3: Microsoft Basic Data C 51.5 GB disk0s3

/dev/disk1

0: GUID_partition_scheme *15.6 GB disk1

1: EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1

2: Apple_HFS OS X Mountain Lion I... 15.3 GB disk4s2

Backing up EFI files

Backing up /Volumes/OS X Mountain Lion Install Disk - 10.8.3/EFIROOTDIR/EFI folder to /Volumes/OS X Mountain Lion Install Disk - 10.8.3/EFIROOTDIR/EFI-Backups/r1625/2013-05-23-20h27/EFI

Installing BootSectors/BootLoader

Stage 0 - Don't write any of boot0af, boot0md, boot0ss to /Volumes/OS X Mountain Lion Install Disk - 10.8.3

Stage 1 - Don't write any of boot1h2, boot1f32alt to /Volumes/OS X Mountain Lion Install Disk - 10.8.3

=========== Clover EFI Installation Finish ===========

@kogen -

IRQs... yes i tried all sorts of things.... setting 0 1 2 3 4 IRQs. if I set 1 in the dsdt, the OSX sets 2 more for a total of 3. if I set 0, like the virgin dsdt - then no sound. slice's clover patch sets 3 IRQs (0,8,11), it works but sleep is not consistent. I get better (best) results with just setting 1 in dsdt. after reading a few other posts on the subject it seems there is no set recipe.

Sorry...I'll be a little more detailed this time:

I'm performing

@sonic5397 - no idea why you cant write to your USB? I presume you selected /dev/disk2 since disk3 is not the right format. you just need to partition the USB stick in GUID mode. Lion Disk maker reformats it anyway if i recall.

with clover - select alternative installation - select OS X ... and use custom install - select write to ESP.

I assume you dont have the ESP already mounted. instead of writing to the ESP you can have the installer write the root and then just manually copy the EFI folder to the ESP partition.

use these command lines (assuming disk2 is the USB)

sudo -s

mkdir /mnt

mount -t msdos /dev/disk2s1 /mnt

cp -rp /EFI /mnt

umount /mnt

exit

Tluck,

Thanks for the response. In looking over my original post, I don't think I explained clearly. It's not the install of ML that's failing - I can't get the custom Clover package to install on to the USB. When running the Clover install is where it's falling down. I'm doing the following:

1. Create ML Install USB using Lion Maker

2. Launch the Clover Installer and (using the default options) install it to the ML Install USB that I just created in the above step.

3. The Clover install fails with the logfile below

Clover EFI installer log - Thu May 23 20:31:58 PDT 2013
Installer version: v2 r1625 EFI bootloader
/dev/disk0
0: GUID_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk0
2: Apple_HFS OSX_USB2 499.8 GB disk0s2
/dev/disk1
0: FDisk_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk1
1: Windows_NTFS 262.1 GB disk1s1
2: Windows_NTFS Data 237.9 GB disk1s5
/dev/disk2
0: GUID_partition_scheme *32.0 GB disk2
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk2s1
2: Apple_HFS OS X Mountain Lion I... 31.7 GB disk2s2
/dev/disk3
0: Apple_partition_scheme *18.5 MB disk3
1: Apple_partition_map 32.3 KB disk3s1
2: Apple_HFS Flash Player 18.4 MB disk3s2
Can't find volume with the name /Volumes/OS X Mountain Lion Install Disk - 10.8.3

I'm doing this from a USB drive that is running a Hackintosh built using the tonymacx86 method (this is disk0). Disk1 is my regular windows drive that is in the PC I'm booting the Hackintosh on. I am targeting disk2 with Clover.

So, to ask a few specific questions:

1. The USB drive - I've formatted it as FAT using GUID method, but you're right - LionMaker reformats it to Mac Journaled as it installs the ML Install app. Can I install clover in the root partition of the USB or do I need to manually create an additional FAT partition on the USB to install it to?

2. In the original post, there is the following instruction:

[color=#000080][b]Note:[/b] At this point you can use another FAT32 formatted pen-drive to install Clover on to it. This pen-drive needs to be capable of storing at least 25MB+ of data.[/color]
[color=#000080]

[/color]

At what point does this "second" USB drive come into play? I'm not understanding this part of the directions.

Again, sorry...I'm probably doing something wrong that is VERY basic. Thanks again for your help.

@sonic - i understand your issue - not sure why you get the error from the clover installer.

since you have running mac on a GUID partition disk you really dont need the USB installer at this point - but its good to have it. not exactly sure what the 2nd USB is for - i think just to test the clover install process. so skip this aspect.

using the tony-chameleon/chimera method is fine to get the OSX disk built. I presume you have all the custom kexts in /System/Library/Extensions instead /Extra/Extensions. (you can also skip the myhack steps) all you needing to do at this point is make it boot using UEFI (Clover) vs MBR (chimera)

so you can just directly install Clover to the OSX disk (disk0 in your case). you can get the USB working later - meaning a clover bootable USB.

1. use the defaults and select your OSX disk -- OR
  2. you can just write to the root of your OSX disk0 instead of the ESP. then you manually mount your ESP and then copy the EFI folder and then copy it to the just mounted location.

@sonic - The seccond pen-drive is an option. Uncheck UEFI install if installing on FAT32 usb. In case of preparing the osx Installer try partitioning the pen-drive again and setting GUID partition table. (Not mbr or apple). Also you can try renameing it to something short, like: osxinstall. The reason for using seccond fat32 formated pendrive is for ease of useing it on another computer in case of failure you can always change your config files or delete conflicting drivers etc.

BTW: I'm happy to announce that ThinkPad Theme (from this thread) is available in official Clover build from r1719 and up. Also forgot to mention that the theme has been updated and split in two read post #9. So from now on updating Clover will be a more pleasurable experience for us :)

post-112035-0-57984600-1369419940_thumb.png

• Like 2

i test that the latest version of AppleIntelE1000e.kext.zip : everything is ok. :)

i may try new fakesmc after

----

i use Onyx to clean cache...

now now more icloud account :( grrr

i 've done http://www.insanelym...ges-fix-how-to/

and http://www.macbreake...problem-on.html

no success grr :help:

http://blog.waldrondigital.com/2011/10/12/apple-id-is-valid-but-is-not-an-icloud-account-on-hackintosh-fixed/

change Apple ID password, try to boot an a usb clover key 980 as advice in the link before

grrrrr :wallbash:

----

- does any one knows haw to change AppleIntelE1000e(Info): changing MTU from 0 to 1500 by default to avoid it in boot log?

- does someone knows how to avoid Super IO Device: [Fatal] found unsupported chip ID=0xffff?

hope my day will be bette than it began

@tetonne

Yeah icloud/imessage is very sensitive to the network config. Ethernet must be first device.

Mtu 1500 (default) size seems to happen automatically when the intrface connects - you dont have to force it.

Do you have a backup to roll back?

The super io device error is from fakesmc and is ok. Ignore it. Its looking for a mobo chip that is not on laptops

@tetonne

Mtu 1500 (default) size seems to happen automatically when the intrface connects - you dont have to force it.

The super io device error is from fakesmc and is ok. Ignore it. Its looking for a mobo chip that is not on laptops

oki thanks

Yeah icloud/imessage is very sensitive to the network config. Ethernet must be first device.

Do you have a backup to roll back?

yes very (too) sensitive :(

no HD back cos my T420 work great now lol

i test this too

http://blog.waldrond...ckintosh-fixed/

change my icloud password pff

no success

my system ID has change? after this Onyx cleaning

i also try a boot on usb key (but start and back to F12 screen) :(

@Tetonne - Here is how to make it work again.

1. Clean up all interfaces in System Preferences > Network

2. sudo mv /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist /System/

3. reboot and enter ThinkPad Setup > Disable Wireless Ethernet

4. Add Ethernet interface in System Preferences > Network and check if it is attached to en0.

5. Check your 17 digit serial number in your Clover OEM config.plist (you can change it just in case)

6. reboot and enable Wireless Ethernet in ThinkPad Setup

7. Now add Wi-Fi and check if it is on en1

8. login to AppStore than iCloud, than iMessage.

9. Be Happy :)

• Like 1

icloud, message, FaceTime are back here with clover :)

SMsystemid, SmUUID are the number GUID @boot (same number than nvram.GUID number.plist)

<key>SmUUID</key>
<string>9089ba96-1a52-cb11-ae30-edfa53f4cadc</string>
<key>BoardSerialNumber</key>
<string>C020321JWMANN771H</string>

RtVariables (string) : 17digits
Rom (data):ethernet address less : ex 03:25:CC:71:FA:07 give 0325CC71FA07
http://www.osx86.net...-chameleon.html

Thanks

Kogen Mantis

I spend so many hours to make it back again

Hi all. I'm beginning the process of installing Clover+OSX86 on my T420, and the first thing I did was install Windows 8 so I could update the BIOS to 1.43 and install the whitelisted BIOS. After flashing 1.43 (I was previously on 1.3x) from Lenovo's website, I downloaded the whitelist BIOS in the original post. However, after running 83uj25us_NWL.exe, which extracted files to C:\DRIVERS\FLASH\h1uj09us\, and running WINUPTP.exe, I get the following error: BIOS image file is same as BIOS ROM. I tried running win(f)lash.exe from the same directory and selecting FvRecovery.fd to flash, but I get the following error: Cannot launch UEFI emulator. Does anyone know how to fix any of these errors? Thanks!

@honeywell - sorry i have zero experience with modded/patched bios.

@all - otherwise...

i did update my dsdt and few other things (kexts) to address 2 random issues: sleep/wake (sometimes get fast blinking power and no response) and sometimes trackpad goes away after sleep. sleep wake is still not perfect but it seems to be getting better (more consistent)!!!

see post #181 for newest OEM bundle with DSDT and config.plist.

Rehabman's (thanks) stuff:

https://github.com/RehabMan

RehabMan-FakeSMC-2013-0526.zip

RehabMan-Voodoo-2013-0526.zip

• Like 1

@tluck, thanks for the update, I will try your new configuration for a better behavior with sleep.

@all-

Since a couple of weeks, my machine always boots in verbose mode, regardless of the "boot-args" that I have in my config.plist.

This is not a big deal, as it is kind of nice to see the boot log. I'm just concerned Clover is not reading properly my configuration.

Where could Clover be looking to boot verbose?

I have updated to the latest version 1794 and still the same.

Attached is my OEM folder.

Thanks,

AJ

OEM.zip

Hi everyone. I was able to flash the BIOS somehow with the whitelisted version (I don't even understand how I got it to work). Anyway, I've been trying to get Clover+OS X working, but I've been having a bit of trouble. Here's what I'm doing so far.

I have a USB with the Lion Diskmaker OS X installer and Clover. I install OS X with the USB, and the computer reboots to continue the installation from my SSD. It finishes, restarts, and boots again from Clover in my USB. So now I'm on a pretty glitchy 10.8 which boots fine with the USB Clover. This is the point where things get iffy. I want to upgrade to 10.8.3, as well as use the latest Clover. If I install Clover 1625 (linked in the first post) right now (10.8) I am able to boot from the SSD ONLY in Safe Mode. However, if I update Clover to 1794, I get this weird blue theme instead of the ThinkPad theme (even if I select the ThinkPad theme in the installer), and I am unable to change the boot flags in the options menu of Clover because the theme is really weird/messed up/glitchy.

I reinstalled OS X again, then Clover 1625. Then, instead of updating Clover, I updated to 10.8.3 directly. This led to my inability to boot at all, even with -x, and I get a kernel panic.

I reinstalled OS X again, and used myHack, then upgraded Clover to 1794. When I boot normally, it hangs at "macosx swap successful" or something like that. So I try to change the boot flags to start in Safe Mode, but Clover boots with a really weird blue theme that won't let me change the boot flags again.

So essentially what I'm asking for are some step-by-step instructions as to how to go from a glitchy 10.8 with Clover on a USB to 10.8.3 with Clover 1794 on the SSD. Thanks a million for your guys' hard work so far!

Hi honeywell-

I'm not expert whatsoever, but I had the problem of the blue theme. I think it is related to the change of handling themes in Clover after release 1654 and up.

Please see post #171 from tluck on this thread. There is a change to the refit.conf...

Regards,

AJ

@honeywell - once you have working hack on chameleon or USB - you are most of the way there. I put all the modified kexts (see list below) in /SLE to keep it simple.

then install clover (with kogens installer or to use latest standard installer - check add/use ThinkPad theme) in the ESP using options like shown here #168

then copy in the OEM bundle (from above - which has dsdt and ssdt) . change the product folder name to match yours. when you boot clover GUI look at options to see what your product number.

$ ls -1d *kext

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

AppleHDA.kext

AppleIntelE1000e.kext (in IONetworking Plugins)

FakeSMC.kext

VoodooBattery.kext

VoodooPS2Controller.kext