Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

I have more questions for the the Hackintosh folks.

Currently running El Capitan 10.11.0 and I got an email from Apple to let me know that the latest beta 10.11.1 is out.

However it's not appearing in the App Store. Instead there's an update named 'MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 2.7'. I installed the update (only 4.1MB) and the T420 restarted. When Mac OS X came back up everything worked as expected and I checked to make sure Clover hadn't been affected which it hadn't. The only issue is that the App Store showed another update, when I looked at it it was the same update again. I installed it again (same size again - 4.1MB). Restarted and yet again another update - THE SAME ONE AGAIN!

I've ran this command in terminal and the update disappeared: sudo softwareupdate --ignore MacBookProEFIUpdate2.7

• Like 1

I did upgrade two days ago on my t420, before I updated all the kexts, moved all to Library/extensions. Once the file was downloaded from the AppStore the upgrade process took about 40 minutes maybe a bit longer. No big issues. It worked also on my w520. On T420 I had to renew UUID as some of the widgets on right hand side didn't display properly. Also my wifi 432b that used to load 4360kext in Yosemite now loads only 4331kext. So no airdrop and handoff. I tried using the fakeid in clover 4353 but that didnt work, when tried to use fakeid 433A I got kernel panic. So depends on what wifi you are using you may loose this functionality (handoff, airdrop).

So I have weird one, I have my T420 and followed tlucks guide using 10.10. I purchased the BCM94532HMB (WiFi + BT4 Combo card) http://imgur.com/WsQIh4e

Followed this guide here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/292542-airport-pcie-half-mini/ to get it working, however I can only get the WiFi working.

Tried troubleshooting it with someone in that thread but after looking at IOreg it turns out the reason BT won't work is because it's not even showing as being connected.

For hardware reasons beyond my understanding, the WiFi is PCIe but the BT is USB despite being on the same physical card.

If I remove the hard drive that has Yosemite on it and put in another containing Windows 10, it works. Windows boots and it shows the BT adapter and that it's on the USB bus with a VendorID of 04CA and a ProductID of 200A (LiteOn variant - apparently) - http://imgur.com/wJTwv04

Booting back into Mac OS and still System Information makes out that it's not even there.

The BT kexts I have installed have no mentioning in the system.log.

With the above information, I know it's absolutely not a hardware issue and I know that BT isn't disabled in BIOS - also because of the above.

I'm stumped, I know it's Mac OS specifically not recognising the BT on the USB bus but I don't know anywhere near enough about kexts and DSDT files and so on to be able to work it out.

I'm hoping someone else in this thread may have had a similar experience and what they did to fix it?

THANKS!

Ever since I updated to El Capitan, the login screen when I first turn my laptop on has this weird color profile, with a strong blue tint. It's fine after I sign in, but is it possible to set what color profile is used on the login screen?

@ezhik - well you may want to install the display overrides which tone down the blue tint. (they are included in the pack)

put them in /System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides

Hi there,

I am about to install El Cap on my T420s. Here is what I have:

- T420s running Windows 10

- tluck's zip pack

- 01 USB 8Gb

- VMWare with Yosemite

Can I use the VMWare Yosemite to create the OS X El Cap Installer USB, then install El Cap on my T420s? 

As I am a newbie, any instruction is highly appreciated.

for T420s - Pokenguyen provided the dsdt awhile back. i have not updated it for El Cap ... possible that it will need some tuning for USB and sleep. 

Will you update the dsdt for T420s? I did try to install El Cap on my T420s using other methods without success.

@Nguyen 

you should be able to make the OS X USB installer in a VM. if you are new to Hackintosh, then i would recommend you get the T420s running on Yosemite first. then test out El Cap - i don't have a T420s to test El Cap to see what works or not.  i had to make a few minor DSDT adjustment to get sleep to work for El Cap. (removed the _PRW Method from a device or 2)

The major difference between T420 and T420s  AFAIK is the addition of USB3 ports. USB3 has shown to be a bit more tricky in El Cap. 

@ezhik -- thanks for reminding me to change the name/hint for new location of the Display overrides. will be updated when i post a new zip.

@aetherTom

sorry no experience here.  i never tried to replace my BT card.  my atheros wifi card just replaced the intel wifi. did you replace/remove/disable the built-in Broadcom BT - which does show up on the USB bus? is that the issue - conflict?

At first I suspected that might be the cause so physically removed it from the chassis but still a no go. I then reinstalled Yosemite using your pack but without your T420 BT kext and with one specifically for the BCM20702 but that also didn't work.

I'll keep searching around, was hoping you might have known the answer as I know there were some USB edits before to help with sleep and I wasn't sure if that might of been connected in some way.

Okay, so I've been at this for like 12 hours now.  First tried to get a Olarila image and install to a VM not knowing about this guide.  Then I found this guide and spent a long time trying to write a vanilla image to a USB for a clean install using Boot Disk Utility, didn't have access to a mac.  Now today I tried to write a Olarila raw file to USB using the OpenSuse writer and replaced the EFI folder and that worked but I'm getting stuck as soon as the installer starts.  I get to System Uptime Nanoseconds and it just freezes.  Is it because of using OpenSuse writer?  I will have access to a Mac later on today.  I know this a very noobish question but I've been stuck like chuck.

so to be clear, you removed the original BT card and the original wifi and then replaced it with a new Broadcom combo card. 

are you seeing this new device in the Clover boot log? 

for me the Atheros shows up in PCI/ EXP2/ARPT - which clover creates

clover boot log

5:380  0:000  Found Airport Atheros at 0x1C0001, 0x0, DeviceID=0x002A

5:382  0:000  Start Airport Fix

5:382  0:000  AirportADR=74B7 add patch size=127

Correct, both the Intel WiFi and the built in Broadcom BT are gone and replaced with the combo card in the socket where the Intel WiFi was.

Where or how do I access the clover boot log? Is it something enabled by default? 

if you download the full clover package, install some of extras..  there are tools in there for logging etc. bdmesg is the tool to dump out the clover messages. or the clover system panel can set up boot logging to /Library/Logs/Clover

So the boot log mentions the WiFi:

0:100  0:000  PCI (00|03:00.00) : 14E4 43B1 class=028000

But there is no mention of the BT on USB or any mention of USB at all.

preboot.log.zip

the interesting stuff happens after where the preboot.log leaves off. and there won't be any mention of BT at this stage. need to get and run bdmesg

Here's the most recent one. I scanned through it but I've attached it in case you wanted to look as you clearly know more about the OS than I do.

bootlog.txt

@aethertom - are you following guidance in this thread:             #1             this seems to have all the info you need to get it working.

seems you will need use FakePCIID to inject id 4360 etc etc - clover doesn't seem to recognize the native id. 

Ah, just to be clear, I have followed that thread. That's how I got WiFi working. System Information shows that just fine and as expected using the FakePCIID and IO80211Family.kext edit.

The issue is only with BT, RehabMan looked at it and he says it's an issue with the USB bus not being recognised but I know it's not hardware related because if I boot into Windows BT works fine.

@Nguyen

you should be able to make the OS X USB installer in a VM. if you are new to Hackintosh, then i would recommend you get the T420s running on Yosemite first. then test out El Cap - i don't have a T420s to test El Cap to see what works or not. i had to make a few minor DSDT adjustment to get sleep to work for El Cap. (removed the _PRW Method from a device or 2)

The major difference between T420 and T420s AFAIK is the addition of USB3 ports. USB3 has shown to be a bit more tricky in El Cap.

@ezhik -- thanks for reminding me to change the name/hint for new location of the Display overrides. will be updated when i post a new zip.

I tried to get install OSX on T420s. I got to the installation welcome screen where only mouse worked. I clicked on the installation and a minute laler, it said i couldn't install on my HDD. And now I got the "missing operating system" when rebooting. I got to set active again for the Windows partition then it became normal.

My question is: should i convert my HDD into GPT then reinstall Windows, then Mac OS X? Dual boot is what I need.

I tried to get install OSX on T420s. I got to the installation welcome screen where only mouse worked. I clicked on the installation and a minute laler, it said i couldn't install on my HDD. And now I got the "missing operating system" when rebooting. I got to set active again for the Windows partition then it became normal.

My question is: should i convert my HDD into GPT then reinstall Windows, then Mac OS X? Dual boot is what I need.

For the guide in this thread to work properly the HDD needs to be GPT really. Mac OS X is designed to be installed on a GPT drive and has to be modified to work with MBR.

@Nguyen. 

yup aetherTom is spot on. HD needs to be GPT. if you have a 2nd drive then you can just copy the windows partition even though its booting MBR today - over and then install the UEFI boot tools for MS. Otherwise use the disk utility in the OS X installer to wipe out the drive and repartition split into 2 parts. But keep the 2nd partition as free/unformatted space for windows -- which you can format later by the windows installer.

• Like 1

Hi, 

I have successfully hacked my X220 and T520 using the info from this thread and have been running Yosemite 10.10.x for several months.  I also was able to install the El Capitan 10.11 Public Beta v1 and 2 successfully without too much problem.

However, now when I try to install the official 10.11 release of El Capitan, all I get is a grey screen with a spinning ball.  This happens when I try and install from both the installer package and from a USB flash disk (fresh install). 

Has anyone had this problem, or perhaps know what to do?

Thanks!
Avery

@Averyfreeman - hard to say as i don't have such problem. i just built the 10.11.0 USB installer and tested it. It booted up from the USB and installed OSX. At what point exactly are you getting the grey screen + spinning ball? from the OS X booted up, running the installer asks me to agree etc and then it asks what disk to install on.

you could check that you got all the bits...

tluck@Toms-Mac /Applications/Install OS X El Capitan.app/Contents/SharedSupport

$ ls -l

total 11879880

-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  6081795289 Oct  1 18:05 InstallESD.dmg

-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel      700179 Sep 17 04:22 OSInstall.mpkg

tluck@Toms-Mac /Applications/Install OS X El Capitan.app/Contents/SharedSupport

$ md5 InstallESD.dmg 

MD5 (InstallESD.dmg) = d54b388282228df41f40e95649e8bc32

Ok, so even though I 100% had the BT working in Windows, it's now not working in Windows or Mac. Further reading and it seems that the MoBo in the T420 (my two at least) doesn't support the combo cards because it can't do PCIe and USB simultaneously on the same interface.

I did get the BT to work but only by holding it in the socket on the underside but then WiFi wouldn't work lol.

So I decided to just buy one of those GMYLE things. Tiny, tiny, tiny little BT4 adapters that have native support with Apple for Handoff and such - £10 on Amazon!