Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

* * * * * 38 votes UEFI ThinkPad T420 Lenovo Clover

Best Answer tluck, 08 October 2013 - 02:47 PM

18-Sep-2016 Update

• Updated to Clover r3758 (should be Sierra ready)

• Revised the ThinkPad Theme - new banner etc
  • Changed the Bluetooth kext to be an injector style kext instead of full (dummy) kext - no longer version specific
  • Updated VoodooPS2Controller kext to latest rev - with a few TrackPad and Keyboard parameter tweaks -- changes to F1-F15 mappings - to be more like apple keyboard - see details below
  • Updated IntelMausi Ethernet kext to latest rev

Various Tweaks over Last 6 months

Spoiler

Lenovo T420 Clover Guide

Overview

Spoiler

New Installation Steps and Details

BIOS settings:

Spoiler

Part 1 - OS Installation

Spoiler

Part 2 - Post OS Installation and Setup on HD

Spoiler

Known Issues and Random Tips:

Spoiler

Notes on Custom Kexts

Spoiler

​General Notes, Fixes, and Features

Spoiler

Optional: Create a custom SSDT

Spoiler

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
2779 replies to this topic

Kogen Mantis

Kogen Mantis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 98 posts
@wavelets - Yes my setup supports sound but I admit that the first post is a bit outdated and needs some clarifications about getting the sound to work + extra knowledge from wonderful people like tluck, espamac, Tetonne and others. I'll try to find some free time this weekend and update the first post. (suggestions are welcomed)
1. You need whitelist to use Dell DW1510
2. Sure you can update to newer Clover but this won't fix the sound issue. Just folow Espamacs and tlucks instructions.

@tluck - by regressing I mean reverting to method used in Clover r1059 and earlier. Cause I have observed that in r1060 and newer my CPU is reported as 2.51GHz (out of sync) causing AppleHDA to behave strange - the sound after one second was flaky (rendering strange noise). I have never observed the actual clock time (there is no space for time within your mind :)) - but I guess this will also be out of sync. Just try my custom build and report if you still need to define the CPU parameters in config.plist

To all: I recommend using OEM folder when mastering your Clover config.plist, dsdt.aml, kexts whatever. This way you always have a minimal config that will let you boot to the system and fix things you have messed up in the OEM setup specific for your model. In that case you only need to boot to the EFI Shell and rename your OEM folder to someting else, for example:
EFI\OEM\4180A32 to EFI\OEM\4180A32-bad
or in new world Clover
EFI\CLOVER\OEM\4180A32 to EFI\CLOVER\OEM\4180A32-bad
This way Clover will ignore your OEM folder and boot from the main/default config.

Wavelets

Wavelets

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
@espamac, @tluck, @kogen

Thanks for the feedback. I did manage to get sound working just fine but no mic? Then I tried a few other things and managed to break sound.

@kogen My sound codec is Conexant 20672

Still on a steep learning curve with regards UEFI, Clover, kexts, dsdt etc. please bear with me - lots more reading/researching required!

@kogen if you do manage to find time to update guide I would really appreciate it and will be happy to test it out for you and feedback any results. Happy to start from scratch on my system as using as a learning exercise. I have spare disks so can re-test install if needed.

cheers

tluck

tluck

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
@kogen - gotcha. i tested your package and it works fine. i put OEM/4236AT9 for my model specific stuff dsdt.aml and config.plist. clover will find this and use it over he generic top level config.plist (which i set up for running the OS installer - added kexts and options that wont kp!)

but the problem remained around clock speed - it set the bus to 100000 kHz and this causes problems for me. (these values can been seen in the Clover GUI by going to the Options/CPU tuning sub-menu). so i will continue to set the CPU values specifically to 2500/99700.

Anyway, i went ahead with and installed the more recent b1378 and that works fine too.

since the shell in these newer builds crashes, i copy over the b1208 shell. i put all the custom kexts in EFI so i can load them when needed for installation etc.

Kogen Mantis

Kogen Mantis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 98 posts

but the problem remained around clock speed - it set the bus to 100000 kHz and this causes problems for me. (these values can been seen in the Clover GUI by going to the Options/CPU tuning sub-menu). so i will continue to set the CPU values specifically to 2500/99700.

Anyway, i went ahead with and installed the more recent b1378 and that works fine too.

Strange. Am I the only one that can't use newer Clover builds? The system is booting and hangs on:
macx_swapon SUCCESS
All works excelent on builds 1229 and earlyer. We share almost identical configuration (I don't have fingerprint reader) and I don't suffer the clock problems you describe on my build 1229. Any extra steps to replicate it?

tluck

tluck

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • 1,293 posts
@kogen -

thats odd. i am using all the same kexts and dsdt.aml that I used to use for chameleon - no changes so i can still boot with a usb i-boot for emergency.
you can see my config.plist above - did you try that? although your config.plist its almost identical except for kext patching and graphics injection?

here are efi drivers i have in place

tluck@mac /EFI/CLOVER

Update: removed this first folder.

$ ls -1 drivers*
drivers64:
FSInject-64.efi
Ps2MouseDxe-64.efi
UsbMouseDxe-64.efi

drivers64UEFI:
EmuVariableUefi-64.efi
FSInject-64.efi
OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi
OsxFatBinaryDrv-64.efi
VboxHfs-64.efi

Kogen Mantis

Kogen Mantis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 98 posts
@tluck - Yes I have tried your config and files from your 10.8.3 pack - and this makes no difference. One thing I can observe is when I don't use graphic injection the system hangs on "Waiting for DSMOS" Maybe we have some other differences - ThinkPad Setup settings?

BTW: You don't need "drivers64" folder - it is used for non efi legacy booting (but you use chameleon for that)

tluck

tluck

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • 1,293 posts
@kogen - well thats is odd. i wonder what changed ?

yeah i added the mouse drivers - which very cool - since i often have the laptop closed in the dock. probably just need USBmouse
hmm... there seems to be dupe FSInject.efi though - i guess i can one of them.

Kogen Mantis

Kogen Mantis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 98 posts

@kogen - well thats is odd. i wonder what changed ?

yeah i added the mouse drivers - which very cool - since i often have the laptop closed in the dock. probably just need USBmouse
hmm... there seems to be dupe FSInject.efi though - i guess i can one of them.

Can you share your DarwinDump - I'll try to hunt it down.
As for USBmouse you don't need it - when booting from UEFI Mode the driver is already there in Lenovos UEFI Firmware so is the PS2 mouse driver. So again the whole "drivers64" directory is not needed in our case.
Just try booting without it - to see that there is no difference :)

BTW: I have just found out that when Injecting patched AppleHDA.kext from Clover and loading it in dummy myHack.kext there is no need to remove the original AppleHDA driver from /S/L/E. Sound and mic works excellent. This is good for peace of mind in case of future updates.

EDIT: I have just tested it against latest 10.8.4 beta build (12E36) and almost all worked great! Sound works and everything seems to work as it should. Spoke to soon. Microphone is gone and system can't rebuild caches thus trying to rebuild it every boot and fails. So the method of including kext's from Clover and in myHack dummy kext is acceptable but every time you update your system you must either delete/move conflicting kexts from /S/L/E or update your patched kexts to the same version the system is using. Or do nothing if you can live without microphone and kernel caches ;)

Attached File  beta 10.8.4.png   422.33KB   27 downloads

mark9white

mark9white

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
A quick note for anyone else having intermittent sleep issues (power light flashes quickly and fan stays on) - the only way I was able to resolve it was via BIOS boot into Clover instead of UEFI boot. Slightly slower bootup time, but apart from that seems to be working great.

UPDATE: Scratch that, error just recurred :(

Kogen Mantis

Kogen Mantis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 98 posts

A quick note for anyone else having intermittent sleep issues (power light flashes quickly and fan stays on) - the only way I was able to resolve it was via BIOS boot into Clover instead of UEFI boot. Slightly slower bootup time, but apart from that seems to be working great.

UPDATE: Scratch that, error just recurred :(

Try using older AppleACPIPlatform.kext. Apple seems to update it often, making the code more and more strict to their hardware specifications.

Attached Files

tluck

tluck

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • 1,293 posts
@kogen

interesting about the mouse with UEFI - but you were right about the mouse drivers (of course!). i did not notice the mouse pointer at first so i had added the driver. so now I trimmed that directory - less is more!

let me know if you would still like a darwin dump.

@mark9white - I agree with Kogen - i observed that the r1.3.5 AppleACPIPlatform.kext is the only one that seems to allow sleep/wake on the T420. you will also need to have a the DSDT fixes for EHCI.

mark9white

mark9white

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
@kogen @tluck

I am already running r.1.3.5 AppleACPIPlatform.kext I'm afraid. I did try newer ones too and as you suggested they caused problems. However sleep does seem to generally be working much better since I've been on BIOS boot.

Kogen Mantis

Kogen Mantis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 98 posts

@kogen @tluck

I am already running r.1.3.5 AppleACPIPlatform.kext I'm afraid. I did try newer ones too and as you suggested they caused problems. However sleep does seem to generally be working much better since I've been on BIOS boot.

In that case send your full DarwinDumper report. I don't use bios boot so test it in UEFI only.
NOTE: When making DarwinDumper report remember to check HTML Report Collapsed - thanks.

Attached File  DarwinDumper.png   162.18KB   12 downloads

mark9white

mark9white

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

In that case send your full DarwinDumper report. I don't use bios boot so test it in UEFI only.
NOTE: When making DarwinDumper report remember to check HTML Report Collapsed - thanks.

Attached File  DarwinDumper.png   162.18KB   12 downloads

Thanks for the offer .. it's working perfectly in BIOS boot however now, so I'm sticking with it. It's exactly the same config (dsdt, kexts, config.plist etc) just with working sleep.

There have been reports of the same issue from Thinkpad X220 users, and BIOS boot also fixed it for them, eg: http://www.projectos...indpost&p=28407

Cheers, Mark.

Tetonne

Tetonne

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
1429 installed everything is ok here

tluck

tluck

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • 1,293 posts
b1429 has problems for me. staying on b1378.

1) busspeed problem - clover now computes FSB as 34146kz vs ~100Mhz
-it ignored an explicit setting of BusSpeedkHz in the config.plist

2) memory bank count wrong
-even using SMBIOS Trust=No - it thinks there are 3 banks - when early on it finds just 2 banks (correctly)

i posted at OSX86 #2564

rayne

rayne

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey guys,

My specs:
Thinkpad X230
i3-3120M
M4-CT128M4SSD2 (128 GB, SATA-III)
Motherboard is set to UEFI, with secure boot off.

Trying to install Mountain Lion 10.8.3 to a 16GB free (unallocated) partition after an existing Windows 8 64-bit installed under GPT format.

Using:
Clover_v2_r1229k0
Lion DiskMaker

I can boot Clover with no manual changes.
Then can boot OSX but have to set GraphicsInjector=No in Clover menu, otherwise get blank screen instead of OSX install screen.

Problem:
In OSX install screen, I can't access my harddrive. It says "This disk is locked" (also says that for USB installer).

Question:
How do I gain access to locked harddrive so I can install OSX? Been searching but not sure how to fix this.

Thanks for all your help in this. Great thread and community.

tluck

tluck

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • 1,293 posts
@rayne,

you may have corrupted partition. since there is nothing on it yet, i would use the installation disk utility to reformat (erase) the target partition.

@all

ok Clover b1483 (build du-jour) is working again for me! (i still using the same config.plist i posted in #124).

Kogen Mantis

Kogen Mantis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 98 posts

@rayne - I'm afraid that you are doing it the other way round. You should install OS X first and than use free space to install windows. (I'm not using windows - so anyone is welcomed to correct me in this).

Just use installers Disk Utiliti to partition the drive in GUID mode and format OS X partition to HFS+.

BTW: What's your X230 type number?

rayne

rayne

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
@Kogen: If you mean according to this http://support.lenov...cID=MIGR-49QTT6, my type number for an X230i is 2306CTO. If you need other specs, let me know, would be happy to help.

Perhaps a silly question (I searched, but didn't see anything):
Is there a way to install Windows 8 GPT first then OSX? I'd rather not have to reformat the disk. Don't think anything is corrupted (typing this on same computer).

Seems Disk Utility does not like working with Windows GPT.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: UEFI, ThinkPad, T420, Lenovo, Clover

8 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2016 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy