Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

@tetonne

i don't know how to specify which T420 config to use if the OEM model is the same. 

i have 2 T420 systems and both are 1600x900 so I use the exact same clover configuration on both. i don't use OEM model folder method (since they have the same LCD)

and i don't specify MLB/ROM in the config.plist after they clamped down on cloned MLB/ROM values. 

since December, i gave up on Message and FaceTime - well for now anyway. but i suppose i could try to call apple support if really needed it work.

@tetonne

i don't know how to specify which T420 config to use if the OEM model is the same. 

i have 2 T420 systems and both are 1600x900 so I use the exact same clover configuration on both. i don't use OEM model folder method (since they have the same LCD)

and i don't specify MLB/ROM in the config.plist after they clamped down on cloned MLB/ROM values. 

since December, i gave up on Message and FaceTime - well for now anyway. but i suppose i could try to call apple support if really needed it work.

Hi Tluck, thanks for your answer

ok for your 2 same T420. 

for iMessage and FaceTime, apple has change their control, with mbl and rom FaceTime is ok

let's have a test, i'm sure i'll work

have a good night

Hey!

I managed to install a dualboot with Mavericks an Win7 on my SSD with your Clover config. Everything works fine except the external Monitor. After reading through the Thread, I`ve done the follwing things:

-surely set my BIOS to integreated Graphics

-change between the two different resolution configs

install clover, the all the kexts and the grafic resolutons again

-used a DP to HDMI (but the DP Output seems to work only with the NVIDIA? Because unter WIn7 it was also not working when the BIOS was set to integreated, but works perfectly when it was set to discrete or NVIDIA Optimus)

-used the VGA Output on different monitors (i got it working on one old VGA Monitor, but not on any other monitor..i use a samsung syncmaster primaly)

-I always connect the Monitor BEFORE booting

things I´ve not done by now:

-install a mod BIOS

-used any intel graphic patches

anyone an idea? Because I have to do a lot of graphic stuff, its nessesarely for me to get the external monitor working. And because its seems to work so perfectly for all of you, I don`t think that I need some external patches, am I right?

Greetings

NIklas

@ niklasdahlheimer

Hello!

You are telling, that you can switch your gfx to discrete. Have you ever tried to activate your nvda gfx on OSX?

Have fun.

Hey There! Thanks for responding

Right now I`ve set the BIOS to "nvidia primus" and os detection "false"..when I start win7, the primus works fine...when I start mavericks it seems like the system didn`t even recognize the monitor...in the system-profiler I see the primus (I`m also confused about that, because when I installed Mavericks it was nessecary to disable the primus, otherwise it would stuck in the boot-logo-menu)...so it seems like the problem istn the graphic-card, more the recognition of monitor?!?

Hello!

To make your nvda perhaps working is too off topic here. If you are interested in get it working, start a topic in Hardware.../gfx cards/nvidia titled with your "gfx-card name" on "Thinkpad.xx". Please tell there your nearer system specs, used SMBios. Best i think, is to try it on 10 9.5.

Have fun.

To the Optimus folks of late:

i found this thread on how to disable optimus in the DSDT for OSX (and use it for Windows i.e. keep it enabled in bios). I recall some got it working (sort of?) but i would think using HD 3000 on OSX is probably best since its fully supported overall than having things sort of working? that's just me.

anyway, since i don't have optimus in any of my systems, i can't really  say what works or validate any issues with DP.

to me, it seems odd that if optimus is disabled in bios then the every should work via HD 3000 - that is, the external displays ought to just show up on DP. Thinking it should be the same on both windows and/or OSX without Optimus. 

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/295584-disabling-nvidia-optimus-card-on-all-laptops/

@tluck

Thanks for this great work.

I had "stolen" your PS2K mod for my T61p. It is very simple and beautiful to make my T61p's keyboard and trackpoint work.

Now Yosemite 10.10.2 almost works perfect expect sleep.

Sleep will shutdown my EHCI USB control and lid will cause the computer dead.

It seems to no answer.

I will follow your guide to make my T420s work after my new LCD is coming.

My friend made a convertor which can convert LVDS to EDP. T420s will use T440/T440p's 1080p LCD.

@tluck

I notice that in your post #946 ,you said "I am still not 100% convinced that the iasl optimization is doing anything bad - i see no difference personally - but sleep is working for me!"

and I find your dsdt is all optimization now.  Is it ok now with the iasl optimization to make T420/T420s sleep/wake ?

@ntp2000 - well yes sleep/wake is working fine with the DSDT i have published. i recall no issues for quite a while on Mavericks and Yosemite for sleep. no major changes in quite a while. the last major change I recall was some additions for VoodooPS2Controller and for LCD Brightness controls.

i have a T60 that sleeps fine. but it is stuck on 10.7.4 because of the gfx card. what ACPIPlatform kext are you using on it? 

Well, now that I finally got a WiFi card (Dell 1510), OS X runs perfectly.

My only problem is that I seem to be unable to disable the trackpad.

If I turn the trackpad off in BIOS, TrackPoint scrolling will not work anymore, and I don't see a way to disable the trackpad in OS X. 

Anything that can be done about this? I want to only have the TrackPoint.

@Ezhik - not sure how to turn it off. but perhaps you can redefine the touchpad size in the kext so in effect its not there?

@ntp2000 - did you get a pre-built OSX DSDT? its been quite a while (3yrs?), so i can't recall exactly where i got my T60 DSDT. at one point it was on chameleon and switched to clover. Perhaps you could try to rollback to the the snow leopard ACPIPlaftorm kext that its not as fussy about certain DSDT variable sizes.

iMessage and FaceTime work again :)

those who had problem should try again with MLB and ROM available in config.plist

Please can you explain how you did it?
It's the only thing that does not work me.
I've been about to call AppleCare and some luck.

sorry for my english.

Thanks

found a solution for finger print reader... T420 uses a upek finger print reader and found some articles about upek launching finger print reader for mac... Also some articles about hackintosh on thinkpad t61... But when I visit upek's official website... for some reason I get a 404... after searching many hours on google, I found truesuit for 10.8.5, it's the driver for the upek finger print reader and... Oh yeah... 

What the hell...

so I uploaded it to my google drive, be aware of that it only work yosemite and mountain lion (only tested on 10.10.2 not tested on mountain lion but it says for 10.8... so), you won't be able to log in if you're using this in mavericks

http://goo.gl/03Tjwq

Hope it'll work for you guys

good hack

@141o432993

TestSuite could be work. But you would never uninstall it. If you do that, yosemite will be die. And Mine is dead.

@tluck

Thanks. I try but not succeed. It is an old computer and it almost works, so I give up.

I install yosemite on my T420s. Almost everything is fine but usb 3.0.

Now when I boot computer with a usb driver in USB 3.0 , it will work well even unpluging and repluging usb device.

But if I leave it empty when booting, it can't work. When I plugin usb device in it. the device's light is even dark.

The USB 3.0 XHCI control of T420s is in EXP5 and it is NEC uPD720200A chip.

I fix the DSDT, but it seems something is wrong.

@Ezhik - not sure how to turn it off. but perhaps you can redefine the touchpad size in the kext so in effect its not there?

Hmmm... redefine touchpad area to zero, and then disable the trackpad buttons somehow - that would effectively do what I want.

What would be the best way to do that?

@ag6942563 - well do mean it keeps showing up the app store updates list?  but i do have a firmware.scap installed. the one in the filesystem matches the one in the ESP

tluck@Toms-Mac ~

$ diff /usr/standalone/i386/Firmware.scap  /Volumes/ESP/EFI/APPLE/EXTENSIONS/Firmware.scap

tluck@Toms-Mac ~

$ ls -l /usr/standalone/i386/Firmware.scap  /Volumes/ESP/EFI/APPLE/EXTENSIONS/Firmware.scap

-rwxrwxrwx  1 tluck  staff  15729264 Mar 18 13:29 /Volumes/ESP/EFI/APPLE/EXTENSIONS/Firmware.scap

-rw-r--r--  1 root   wheel  15729264 Sep  9  2014 /usr/standalone/i386/Firmware.scap

maybe you can manually download and install it. of course its not really used on a hack. but installing it may stop any update notices.

this seems to be the one for MBP8,1: 

MBP81.0047.B27 (EFI 2.7)

@tluck-

Well, I don't have an APPLE folder under /Volumes/ESP/EFI. Should I?

Link you sent me says it's for Mid 2013 models, but in my "About this Mac" screen, it shows I have an early 2011 MacBook Pro. Is this what it should be?

Yes, it shows on the app store updates list. I have installed the update several times but it doesn't seem to go anywhere...

Thanks,

AJ

@AJ

- whoops i updated the link for MBP8,1

- well the /EFI/APPLE/EXTENSIONS folders can't hurt anything - i think maybe that's where it looks to check for the stuff. i just have the 1 file in there - firmware.scap

- just to be sure, i would run the diskutil (in debug mode to see hidden partitions) to mount and repair your EFI System Partition