Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

@TW - well that may well be the problem. if you want to send me your current edid string i can edit it to replace the 90 and 02 

with 80 and EA which fixed things for me. of course you know you can inject with clover and/or put in dsdt.

i am no expert here,  but have learned a little along the way!

... i don't know what 90 means. 80 means digital vs analog.

02 means black and white -- but EA means RGB with full power features. etc.

i can only guess windows does look at this stuff but OSX does.

@tluck- Where to add SMC key ACID? Can you please provide detailed instructions? Thanks.

@TimeWalker - good to hear from you! i hope all is well with you.

well that fixed the repeating powerd messages. can't thank you enough.

to be clear, i added SMC key ACID - copied the value from my MacBook Pro and i get this 1 time on startup - but then no more! (running 10.10.3 beta). 

Feb  8 20:04:38 localhost powerd[29]: Failed to read current rating(0xe00002f0)

Feb  8 20:04:39 localhost powerd[29]: Activity changes from 0xffff to 0x0. Assertions:1 HidState:0

now my AC looks like this in the system info  - without ACID key,  I just had 2 values: Connected and Charging. 

AC Charger Information:

Connected: Yes

ID: 0x0100

Wattage (W): 85

Revision: 0x0000

Family: 0x00ba

Serial Number: 0x0035c3de

Charging: No

----

GFX artifacts? you mean they just starting showing up in Yosemite? I wish I had some tips (other than a futzing with EDID values) - i have not seem any gfx glitches in a long time (except when i omitted slide=0 by mistake). what is your display resolution? perhaps some other EDID may work better? 

Thanks, I'm capable of replacing them and rehashing the CRC myself, no need for that as dmi-decode is really helpful. 

I was just about to write that I have figured out that 80 meant, however I'm not too sure about EA, as RGB+sRGB is 0E for preferred block 1 in detailed timings. 

ViewSonic software under windows is unable to read my EDID map  for some reason, so I have to use Phoenix Designer ..

After setting base params accordingly I still get artifacts .. i have pixel clock at 71, panel size is 310x174 and hsync is 48/32.. 

Just posted a new bundle for Yosemite 10.10.2+ here: Clover UEFI on T420 Guide

The key item here is a fix for powerd message issue that started in 10.10.2+ - thanks to Rehabman and TimeWalker for pointing me in the right direction

09-February-2015 Update

• Updated to Clover r3168 - compiled to remove text before GUI
  • Added ACID SMC key in FakeSMC.kext Info.plist for AC power support in Yosemite (custom install pkg included see Utility folder)
  • Recompiled ACPIBatteryManager.kext (for the heck of it)
  • Added universal time registry fix for dual boot with Windows for consistent time.
  • Tweaked _kext_install script to fix/recreate symbolic links for custom kexts.
  • Like 1

Just posted a new bundle for Yosemite 10.10.2+ here: Clover UEFI on T420 Guide

The key item here is a fix for powerd message issue that started in 10.10.2+ - thanks to Rehabman and TimeWalker for pointing me in the right direction

09-February-2015 Update

• Updated to Clover r3168 - compiled to remove text before GUI
  • Added ACID SMC key in FakeSMC.kext Info.plist for AC power support in Yosemite (custom install pkg included see Utility folder)
  • Recompiled ACPIBatteryManager.kext (for the heck of it)
  • Added universal time registry fix for dual boot with Windows for consistent time.
  • Tweaked _kext_install script to fix/recreate symbolic links for custom kexts.

Thanks for this new release :),

update without any issue :)

Hi, I'm running latest Yosemite 10.10.2 on my T420 (1366x768).

I'm using it with lenovo docking station and I have connected to that Full HD Display.

After each shutdown when I start the Macos display in T420 is messy with stripes and worrying spots expanding across the whole screen.

The full HD screen works fine.

After the power off and disconnecting T420 from the dock, and connecting the T420 with opened shell, and starting the system all appears fine.

If I do that each time when I start new T420 all works fine (disconnect from dock, open shell, connect to dock, power up).

Otherwise I have this worrying lcd issue with stripes and moving expanding spots. Have you experience any issue with This clover and kexts when using T420 with dock and external screen?

@tluck, thanks for your reply. it's so annoying. As sometimes I forget to remove it from dock. So sometimes I need to boot twice, the second time by removing the laptop from the dock.

The external display works always, just the internal display with Intel Graphics.

When I boot the laptop off the dock, all works first time, no issue, as there is no dock connected.

It looks to me like sometimes the because of the dock the internal display isn't recognised properly. The way how the display is lit reminds me off old issue I had with my D630 with 1440x900 resolution, When my DSDT didn't have dual link enabled (I damaged the screen).

This is not the common issue with split screen showing multiple desktops. In my case the internal screen shows a lot of stripes with colours expanding from side of the screen across the whole screen surface, really scary (at first looks like damaged screen), but after reboot with reconnecting dock, all is fine.

I read this guide but i didn't success. Are there any this guide's video? I really need it. Becouse my english is bad and google tranlate isn't enough.

My Sistem:

Lenovo T420
System Model: 4180FB5
Processor: Intel® Core i5-2540M CPU @ 2.60GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Display Card name: Intel® HD Graphics 3000
Display Memory: 1696 MB
Current Mode: 1600 x 900 (32 bit) (50Hz)
Monitor Id: LEN40A1
Sound Devices
Description: Hoparlör (Conexant 20672 SmartAudio HD)
Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_14F1&DEV_506E&SUBSYS_17AA21CE&REV_1000

My System:
Lenovo T420
System Model: 4180FB5
Processor: Intel® Core i5-2540M CPU @ 2.60GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Display Card name: Intel® HD Graphics 3000
Display Memory: 1696 MB
Current Mode: 1600 x 900 (32 bit) (50Hz)
Monitor Id: LEN40A1
Sound Devices
Description: Hoparlör (Conexant 20672 SmartAudio HD)
Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_14F1&DEV_506E&SUBSYS_17AA21CE&REV_1000

1. I download the mavericks 10.9.5 with clover boot loader this link: “https://mega.co.nz/#!J48EhYpZ!XLqhyzc6OXxlu5fh8drNHTWng8bb3P8ajwDMIEs4ADE

2. “ Highlights:

• Clover config.plist + required kexts + custom DSDT

• 2 versions are separated by LCD size

• ACPI.1600x900 folder - has dsdt.aml for high-res LCD with DualLink=1 and injects a good/patched EDID

• ACPI.1366x768 folder - has dsdt.aml for low-res  LCD with DualLink=0 and no injected EDID

• Note: the CPU section is not needed in the config.plist anymore, as Clover computes Bus Speed ok in later revs - check it though! should be around 99676 - 99700 to keep system clock accurate. “

I could not do anything about the part of the Manual is written above. And I do not understand what to do.

3. I download kext files under the title of Custom Kexts .

4. I dont understand this topics:

General Notes, Fixes, and Features of the Zip

EmuVariableUefi-64.efi migration

5. I intall mavericks with clover bootloader but my screen resolation is wrong.(1024x768) And Grapich memory is 3 MB. I could not fix. And i could not open without this parameters:

Clover -> Options -> Boot Args: -v npci=0x2000 -x

Clover -> Options -> Graphics Injector menu -> Fake Id:0x00301000

6- I install Clover Efi and setup like this link “http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/uploads/monthly_09_2014/post-954945-0-96372500-1412101357_thumb.png

In particular, I do not know DSDT use.

@timur_ok

so it seems you were able to install the OS?

then you need properly configure Clover on your HD.

from the download zip file from my guide Clover UEFI on T420 Guide, it has the Clover files and configuration you need. 

And there are the custom kexts in the zip.

since, you have the 1600x900 screen you will use those files.

in the CLOVER folder

rename ACPI.1600x900 to ACPI

-  this folder has the DSDT for your system.

rename config.1600x900.plist to config.plist

then put this EFI (CLOVER folder) on your HD ESP

the clover boot options you listed will not work. the config.plist has the proper boot options

• Like 1

@tluck

Thank you very much for your advice. 

I could not find mavericks download link from Apple Store. So I skipped the USB preparation section in the manual. But then I organized in accordance with the guidelines by downloading the zip file links. And the whole problem is solved.

One last question: Bluetooth is working but the wifi does not work right?

This is the perfect guide prepared for the Lenovo T420. I want to thank everyone who contributed to the preparation of the guide.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I am really hoping to get this install working. I've done quite a few hackintosh installs, but I've never run across this problem before:

I can't seem to get the Yosemite installer to recognize my hard drives. I have a T520.

I installed to a USB hard drive and it worked fine, but when booting with clover my USB drive didn't appear in the list of boot devices.

I placed the drive in a HD caddy for the ultra bay and still not showing up.

I have tried both AHCI and compatibility modes in the BIOS. Tried resetting to BIOS defaults. Still no dice.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Hi Tluck, 

I'm not sure of the BIOS version - I do know I updated it right before I left Windows for Linux about a month ago.  The Lenovo website states that's v1.44

I did manage to get Yosemite to install on another SSD I installed into the primary 2.5" HDD compartment.  I am thinking the problem may have been with trying to use the UltraBay caddy, and also -- the SSD I had originally wanted to use was an mSATA drive in an mSATA to 2.5" converter (used to boost the speed, as the T520's mSATA controller only supports SATA II, but it's a SATA III drive).  I never had any problems with installing other OSs on these components, though, so I didn't anticipate them being a problem.

NOW I'm having a problem with the touchpad --- It's "sticky".  It doesn't seem to have the right sort of responsiveness I would expect from it.  I actually was having a similar problem with it when I was using Windows 8.1 and 10 technical preview.  It was the main reason I switched to Linux (the touchpad works WAY better in Linux).  I am really disappointed, as I would have expected the Mac driver to work more in the way Linux's did, as MacOS is more similar to Linux than Windows.  

I haven't searched the thread for a fix yet --- but, offhand, has anyone had this problem, and does anyone have a method to fix / adjust the touchpad so it is more responsive?

Thanks everyone!

Posted a new zip bundle to stay current. Clover UEFI on T420 Guide

02-March-2015 Update

• Updated to Clover r3185 - compiled to remove text before GUI
  • Bumped VoodooPS2Controller.kext to v1.8.14 (to stay current)

Note/FYI:

1) I have been using the OsxAptioFix2Drv.efi driver without issue. well my 7 year old boy likes to run his T420 laptop till there is zero battery. this allows it to shutdown and hibernate when low on power.  

2) The testing on Mieze's alternate ethernet kext (IntelMausiEthernet) has progressed to a version/state that is pretty good.  ... as the com.insanelymac.driver.AppleIntelE100e v2.4.14 E1000e kext is fine. it seems the Yosemite network stack is still a work in progress as both network drivers had some issues with VMware 7.x in 10.10. in bridged mode. 

@Averyfreeman

glad you got the 520 installation solved. i am not exactly sure if your touchpad issue (sticky) was the same thing I ran into using the default VoodooPS2 settings. I ended up creating a T420 configuration that seemed to make the trackpad work a lot smoother (less jumpy etc). you can look at the T420 items in the VoodooPS2Controller kexts/Plugins Info.plist files to see if these will make the 520 trackpad better - that is, use the T420 values to override the default settings.

@Tetonne

thanks for sharing. I am not sure there is anything in these "reference" config.plists that is "missing" or needed from the ones I posted - but perhaps one will disagree as it may be a matter of opinion or style. The Lenovo T420 doesn't seem to have any boot/startup glitches. Of course I refer to (and leverage) any of RehabMan's impeccable work whenever I can. 

• Like 1

@Tetonne

thanks for sharing. I am not sure there is anything in these "reference" config.plists that is "missing" or needed from the ones I posted - but perhaps one will disagree as it may be a matter of opinion or style. The Lenovo T420 doesn't seem to have any boot/startup glitches. Of course I refer to (and leverage) any of RehabMan's impeccable work whenever I can. 

totally agree our T420 is great and works perfectly thanks to your pack :)

thanks again to all who have worked, contributed for any part of the pack

Update applied :)

@Tluck -- 

Yes, I downgraded to Mavericks after sticking my 256GB mSATA Crucial M550 into the mSATA/WWAN slot.  Made two partitions - one I can back up with SuperDuper after getting to a good stopping point, and another for testing new configs (e.g installing kexts, dsdt, etc.)

I will definitely try the OsxAptioFix2Drv.efi and report back.  I'm trying re-installing clover with all all options unchecked possible except OsxAptioFix2Drv.efi because I couldn't view the package contents of the clover install file and I don't have a working copy of pacifiist.  I had the EFI partition mounted and I didn't see OsxAptioFix2Drv.efi get copied into the /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI directory, so I'm a little pessimistic that it worked. :/

RE: Touchpad --- What is the Info.plist config file I'm looking for, the one in VoodooPS2Controller.kext?

Where do I obtain the T420 settings I might wish to patch into the Info.plist?

Thank you!

Avery

PS: do you have a donation channel? :)

@averyfreeman 

- are you using my zip (clover, kexts and dsdt?) i suspect the T520 to be pretty similar to the T420.  

- you won't need OsxAptioFix2Drv.efi unless you would like to have hibernation enabled - then set hibernation mode 7. (see my guide for more info). 

- touchpad - in my zip see the T420 entry in 

/System/Library/Extensions/VoodooPS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext/Contents/Info.plist 

which overrides the platform profile default because i set Lenovo T420 Keyboard and Trackpad identifiers in the DSDT. 

Question?

I have a great perfect working T420-4236Y33

how can i use my HD on an other computer T420 (4236Y33) :

my config is in /OEM/4236Y33 is config.plist include my MBL, ROM, SN...

i want to create 2nd generic config.plist

the 1st one would be for my computer

the 2nd one for an other T420-4236Y33 (all the value of the 1st one except MBL, ROM, SN...)

May be it's not possible?

other question : did anyone use one working booting HD on to 2 or more kind of Thinkpad T4x0?