• Please log in to reply
1191 replies to this topic

wetzel

wetzel

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

@Adrenalation a "protective MBR" is what gdisk calls a GPT partition table, that's what it's supposed to say!

In the Windows installer, are you able to access the custom option and change/delete/create partitions?

Adrenalation

Adrenalation

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Computer Enthusiast

@tluck. Yup it's MBR instead of PMBR. Anyway to format this to PMBR without reinstalling OS X?

@wetzel Yes, I have the ability to access that menu. I then try formatting my ~100GB windows partition, but still the same error, saying it is MBR.

I think tluck has it right saying that disk utility gave me an MBR instead of PMBR.

Screen_Shot_2014_07_11_at_9_32_21_AM.png

wetzel

wetzel

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

@ Adrenelation, try this; in Disk Utility, delete the FAT partition you created (by going to the whole disk->partition and click the minus with the FAT partition selected), then run a Repair Disk on the entire disk. That should recreate the PMBR.

Then, try installing Windows again, it should allow you to create a new partition in the free space.

Shows my ignorance here // lack of apple documentation. I messed around with this in my apple VM and noticed that creating a FAT partition automatically converts the PMBR to MBR (but then deleting it as I instruct and running Repair Disk rebuilds it...) Oh, Apple.

Edit: BE CAREFUL with the Windows installer, make sure you choose custom and then create a partition in the empty space, otherwise it'll nuke your OSX installation.

Adrenalation

Adrenalation

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

@wetzel. Well, I just ended up using gdisk from terminal. Selected disk0 as my disk, went to experts menu via X, and wrote a new PMBR via N. Wrote changes and all was well. :) Oh.....apple.

Screen_Shot_2014_07_11_at_9_40_03_AM.png

Still having issues with the sound......though. Not urgent, but buggy. Maybe my headphone detection switch has gone bad? ha.

wetzel

wetzel

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Awesome, I love gdisk. I am glad to know that Disk Utility is an insidious little devil now. (I hate it when software does things without telling me)

Adrenalation

Adrenalation

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

@wetzel.

One last thing in regards to Windows Installation. Any idea how to ensure that Microsoft installs boot data into the EFI ESP partition where Clover resides, instead of the MSR (Microsoft Reserved Partition) that Windows creates?

RehabMan

RehabMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,097 posts
  • Interests:skiing, software, classic cars

@wetzel.

One last thing in regards to Windows Installation. Any idea how to ensure that Microsoft installs boot data into the EFI ESP partition where Clover resides, instead of the MSR (Microsoft Reserved Partition) that Windows creates?

The MSR partition is not used for Windows boot files.

wetzel

wetzel

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

@tluck it'll use the ESP either way actually, the MSR is literally used for nothing, except some really weird Windows corner cases that no one ever bumps into.

Adrenalation

Adrenalation

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

@wetzel Great. Now win7 is installed, but it skips past the Clover UEFI boot menu in the ESP and boots automatically in Windows. Windows boot files are now in /EFI/Microsoft........ Any ideas?

I had to use the Clover OS X USB to boot into my hard drive

tluck

tluck

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

@adrenalation - replace /EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi with a copy of Cloverx64.efi

boot OSX (w usb for now) then

i.e. some thing like this:

cp /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.efi /Volumes/EFI/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi

wetzel

wetzel

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

tluck's right as usual!

If you get multiple Windows entries in Clover after you do that, you might have to tweak your Clover config a bit, but you're almost there!

Adrenalation

Adrenalation

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Thanks guys for sticking with me. I'm learning something new every day. ;) Dual boot is working as it should.

Still a couple things I'd like to fix.

• 1600x900 Resolution is not working in Clover Boot Menu; any Fixes?
  • Headphone jack on laptop still does not work. (tried unplugging and plugging many times) (Probably the detecting pin is Broken) Time for a new jack! (Disregard Possible Conflicts with DSDT)

@Nvidia NVS 4200M Users. Has anyone fiddled with DSDT Patching?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: UEFI, ThinkPad, T420, Lenovo, Clover

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy