Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

@tluck

Regarding Chrome artifacts issue:

I have only onboard HD 3000 graphics. Executing "kextstat |grep Graphic" in Terminal resulted the same output like yours with 5 kexts.

I tried adding random widgets to dashboard and it worked smooth, no ripples. Does it mean that quarz (full gfx) working? I'm sorry to tell that I don't know how to check it.

Thanks again!!!  :)

@rolitab - odd -  should see some circular ripples like its being dropping in water?

see this for other tests

http://www.phacks.net/hackintoshosx86-how-to-tell-if-qeci-quartz-extreme-and-core-image-are-active/

I remember these circular ripples, I used to see them on the real mac several years age, but I don't remember the exact OS version. The link you've provided outlines that "Seems like they change this behavior in Lion that you will no longer see the water ripple effects."  Screensavers are working, as well as iTunes visualisations. Chess are working also, I can make a move. It seems that QE/CI is active. Very strange that you don't have the artifacts in Chrome, but I and @myeyre do.

post-357778-0-60651400-1414987024_thumb.pngpost-357778-0-12201600-1414987064_thumb.png

post-357778-0-60002700-1414987190_thumb.png

Swapped ACPI and config files in EFI, turned off machine, swapped screen and CPU (and screen cable), turned on machine, reran SSDT command.

Amazing. The i7 is noticeably faster with certain tasks. I chose not to put a quad core i7 in (which is possible) because of rumored heat issues and higher TDP on the chip, but I might end up with a T430s soon anyway.

An aside: anyone have any issues with the machine taking a long time to shut down or reboot? It hangs for sometimes 10-15 seconds before shutting down for me.

Hi Tluck,

With Yosemite I finally switched to Clover.

It works very nice, Thanks for all your efforts.

Does anyone here has the wake from "Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)" as I do?

It there anything to do against?

I found this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/300072-wake-reason-rtc-alarm-how-to-deactivate/

But I don't like the fix, as this replaces files with older ones from Mavericks.

Regards

verleihnix

Hi all,

I just install Yosemite on my t420i, but it seems sound is not working. Here is my checklist related to this sounds problem:

-> kext-dev-mode args  √

-> DSDT patched layout-id 12 √

-> clover AppleHDA patched √

-> install AppleHDA_20672.kext by using Kext Wizard √

What am I missed here? Still there is no sound output/input in Sys Pref. Console just show this message related to AppleHDA

04/11/14 00.50.09,000 kernel[0]: Sound assertion in AppleHDAEngine at line 17868

04/11/14 00.50.09,000 kernel[0]: Sound assertion in AppleHDADriver at line 2841
04/11/14 00.50.09,000 kernel[0]: Sound assertion in AppleHDADriver at line 196
04/11/14 00.50.09,000 kernel[0]: Sound assertion in AppleHDADriver at line 1051

Any clue?

@verleihnix - welcome to the club!!! not sure what to recommend about the sleep/wake thing.

@parcox

hmm i would try rebuilding the caches again. looks like its not running the new/patched version? 

run:

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

reboot

your kexts should look like this:

$ kextstat|grep HDA

98    2 0xffffff7f81dd9000 0xf000     0xf000     com.apple.iokit.IOHDAFamily (266.5) <5 4 3 1>

99    1 0xffffff7f81de8000 0x1a000    0x1a000    com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController (266.5) <98 77 12 7 6 5 4 3 1>

114    0 0xffffff7f81efa000 0xa7000    0xa7000    com.apple.driver.AppleHDA (999.99) <113 99 98 79 77 75 6 5 4 3 1>

118    0 0xffffff7f81ff0000 0x2000     0x2000     com.apple.driver.AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver (266.5) <4 3>

@tluck

I wanted to upgrade Clover while downloading I realized it's even 2988... Is it your typo or did they upgrade again?

BTW: Upgrade on my T420s is kinda manual, Clover installs to /EFI not the EFI Partition... Then I had to copy the kexts, ACPI/patched & config.plist, after that it does as exptected

But I still have some prob's left:

- USB3 doesn't recognize devices

- SD Card doesn't work neither with VoodooSHDC or patched AppleSDXC

- After every boot or wake the bluetooth assistant pops up asking to configure a keyboard

- iMessage / FaceTime (but that will get another try tomorow)

Any hint's on the first three Item's are very welcome

But I still have some prob's left:

- USB3 doesn't recognize devices

- SD Card doesn't work neither with VoodooSHDC or patched AppleSDXC

- After every boot or wake the bluetooth assistant pops up asking to configure a keyboard

- iMessage / FaceTime (but that will get another try tomorow)

Any hint's on the first three Item's are very welcome

I don't know anything about USB3, because the T420 doesn't have any USB3 ports :(. However, I can positively say that no one has been able to get the SD card reader working. You can also get the bluetooth assistant to go away by going into bluetooth options and unchecking the option for it to show the configuration when it can't detect a keyboard.

Also, is clover ~creating~ /EFI each time? I remember I figured out how to fix this... but not what I remembered... because Monday.

@mircsicz 

Clover - yup they upgrade every so often. not sure about why clover installed in to a folder /EFI in  OSX vs ESP.  clover should mount the ESP when the option is checked to do so.

USB3 - the DSDT.aml file I provide is for a T420 not a T420s. so the DSDT is slightly different explaining why the USB3 ports are probably working properly. perhaps then the AppleUSBXHCI.kext would work?  this kext with a slight mod on my H61-USB3 hack works to get USB3. 

not sure if there is a T420s user with a full DSDT. there is config.nodsdt.plist that will get 95% working - meaning you could use that to update make a custom DSDT for your box. 

@parcox

hmm i would try rebuilding the caches again. looks like its not running the new/patched version? 

run:

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

reboot

your kexts should look like this:

$ kextstat|grep HDA

98    2 0xffffff7f81dd9000 0xf000     0xf000     com.apple.iokit.IOHDAFamily (266.5) <5 4 3 1>

99    1 0xffffff7f81de8000 0x1a000    0x1a000    com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController (266.5) <98 77 12 7 6 5 4 3 1>

114    0 0xffffff7f81efa000 0xa7000    0xa7000    com.apple.driver.AppleHDA (999.99) <113 99 98 79 77 75 6 5 4 3 1>

118    0 0xffffff7f81ff0000 0x2000     0x2000     com.apple.driver.AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver (266.5) <4 3>

I am also missing any sound output/input devices. It seems the AppleHDA is not being patched by Clover correctly and doesn't load at all (not listed by kextstat). Tried both Clover 2980 and 2988 with your config.plist. (1366x768 version)

EDIT: Sound was working in Mavericks, but not after upgrading to Yosemite.

• Like 1

@parcox and @ted23p

Did you replace your /EFI/CLOVER folder with the latest zip - at least put the new config.plist for kext patch of AppleHDA in there?

can you run these 2 command and post the output? 

$ ls -l /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA*/Contents/M*

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS:

total 2152

-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  1100672 Sep 19 03:16 AppleHDA

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA_20672.kext/Contents/MacOS:

total 8

lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  64 Oct 14 10:26 AppleHDA -> /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA

$ bdmesg | grep KextToPatch

0:105  0:000  KextToPatch 0: AppleHDA (change AD198B for Conexant 20672) Kext bin patch, data len: 4

• Like 1

How do you guys use ExpressCard slot? Did anyone installed USB 3.0 Adaptor into it? I am thinking about getting this one, is it good idea or not? Will it work? For now I don't have any USB 3.0 devices, but someday I will and having USB 3.0 onboard seems to be nice feature. Will this USB 3.0 reduce latency in working with audio interfaces like NI Komplete Audio 6 or Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (I am still choosing between two)?

Maybe there are some other useful extension cards I'm not aware (except wifi)? Please share your ExpressCard34 exprerience. 

@rolitab - yes. that is the card I use for USB3. the GenericUSBXHCI.kext driver in the zip will enable it. The one i got did not have the latest firmware on so i had to update by windows. Note: that the driver and hw version is not sleep-able. Meaning you have to manually unmount any filesystems on USB3 before sleep and as the system reloads the driver after sleep. Otherwise you get messages about not properly ejecting etc upon wake if you do not.

@adrenalation

- if you have a logical root volume, i recommend revert to regular. thats seems to fix things for clover to figure out which partition to mount etc.

run: 

sudo diskutil corestorage revert /
  • Like 1

I've been running Mavericks on a T420S for several months now due to all the great work here.

On the weekend I decided to upgrade to Yosemite, with some minor hiccups which I resolved from the help here.

One issue I couldn't resolve was related to sound, and no devices found.  I troubleshooted based on the recommendations here.  I had the lastest zip file , latest kext and config.plist.  Running kextstat showed the AppleHDA,kext wasn't loaded, though KextToPatch shows up fine when troubleshooting.  I used the suggested version of Clover, and the latest (2999) 

I decided to try with a clean install, and still the same sound issue.

As a last resort, I decided to try the zip pack from October 13th (I archive them as they are released), Kext and config.plist.  It actually worked!  Sound device Internal Speakers now shows up and I have a fully functional install.

Not sure what the difference is between October 13th and the latest zip pack.  Anyone else having sound issues in Yosemite may want to try this as a test.

I plan on testing the new zip pack again just to confirm.

Hello,

I am interested in getting handoff to work.

With a bluetooth module of T530 it is possible with patch from this thread.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/302410-patch-enabling-handoff-for-non-apple-bt4-devices/

My WIFI card is a BCM94322HM8L (14E4:432B) which has to be driven by AirPortBrcm4360.

​I got it working by modifying info.plist of AirPortBrcm4360 and AirPortBrcm4331 and deleting AppleAirPortBrcm43224 kext

It didn't work for me trying to use InfoPlistPatch. Please help to figure that out.

<dict>

<key>Comment</key>
<string>Patch_to_not_load_this_driver</string>
<key>Name</key>
<string>AirPortBrcm4331</string>
<key>InfoPlistPatch</key>
<true/>
<key>Find</key>
<string>432b</string>
<key>Replace</key>
<string>432a</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>Patch_load_this_driver</string>
<key>Name</key>
<string>AirPortBrcm4360</string>
<key>InfoPlistPatch</key>
<true/>
<key>Find</key>
<string>4353</string>
<key>Replace</key>
<string>432b</string>
</dict>

post-52582-0-50962700-1415704618_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi,

Im currently running a working Mountain Lion 10.8.5 on a Gigabyte GA Z77-DS3H. (Using [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] / [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] method)

Now, I would love to Clone this disk to use with my ThinkPad T420, (too many installed Apps and configs that I really dont want to do all over again)

Any Suggestions?

@osgaldo 

do you have a way to connect the T420 disk to your Gigabyte system directly - like external USB ?

if so, it's obviously  a lot faster to clone disk to disk with tools like Carbon Copy or just raw dd (vs say rsync over the network)

I recommend UEFI boot for the T420 disk - which means format as GPT/GUID. I have generally moved away from MBR formatted disks and do not miss it! (i have one hybrid disk - GPT with MBR for VMware tho.)

my OSX and Windows all boots nicely from a GPT disk -  i didn't have to reinstall windows. one trick is to dd (raw disk) the windows partition from an MBR disk to a GPT disk.  The just install the MS boot stuff in the EFI. Then you just have to run the microsoft repair to fix the BCD file in EFI and then life is good. 

I just went through all this, as my dual-boot 750GB disk had some bad blocks had i just replaced it. So i wrote a script to reformat the new one using GPT (to avoid getting a MBR in place of PBMR for windows). And then dd-ed the stuff from the old to new disk. piece of cake right!?

• Like 1

As a former MacBook Pro owner I was missing a good touchpad option on my T420, so after successful Yosemite installation according to @tluck manual I started to save cents for buying Magic Trackpad.

Today I finally got it, but for now I'm very disappointed with its behaviour. T420 found it and connected successfully, but in several minutes it started to lose connection and after some time reconnect automatically. The pointer behaviour is sometimes fine, but most of the time its like drunk person behaviour. Freezes, delays, bad reaction to gestures and of couse losing the connection.

I initially wanted to expand my experience when working in Ableton Live because I found using trackpoint and/or internal touchpad not enough precise. But this Magic Trackpad behaviour is even worse. 

Unfortunately I don't have a real mac to check if its computer or trackpad problem. I also don't have any other bluetooth devices that might interfere with it. I tried turning BT on/off in System Prefs. Of course I changed batteries. All kext I'm using are from this topic zip file for Clover 2967.

Please help me with any suggestions. Now it feels like throwing 80 bucks away, I don't think that I can give it back to the shop. Maybe I should change internal BT adaptor for more compatible or but new usb one? Maybe some tweaks to Kexts? I appreciate any help! Thanks in advance.

rolitab,

it wasn't long ago on this thread someone was describing a problem similar to your issue but with the Apple Magic Mouse. Well then just a few days ago, the same thing happened to me. I have a Magic mouse (not trackpad) and it was really jumpy and erractic - when i picked it the pointer would end up in the corner.

i was a customer so i just started using the built-in touchpad and forgot about it.

Well so as fast as it happened, it just disappeared. so i can't help but wonder if there isn't some problem with yosemite? and/or bluetooth? in 10.10.0

Since the 10.10.1 (beta seeds) that was installed on my box in the last few days it seem to have fixed it.  meaning as it hasn't happened since.

these are kexts that so far have patched in 10.10.1

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleBluetoothMultitouch.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleBluetoothMultitouch

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAController.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDAController

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAHALPlugIn.bundle/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDAHALPlugIn

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleMikeyDriver.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleMikeyDriver

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/DspFuncLib.kext/Contents/MacOS/DspFuncLib

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOHDAFamily.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOHDAFamily

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHIDKeyboard.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHIDKeyboard

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHIDKeyboard.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleBluetoothHIDKeyboard.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleBluetoothHIDKeyboard

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHIDKeyboard.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBBuiltinHIDKeyboard.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleUSBBuiltinHIDKeyboard

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHIDKeyboard.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBHIDKeyboard.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleUSBHIDKeyboard

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHIDMouse.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHIDMouse

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHIDMouse.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleBluetoothHIDMouse.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleBluetoothHIDMouse

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHIDMouse.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBHIDMouse.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleUSBHIDMouse

/System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortBrcm4360.kext/Contents/MacOS/AirPortBrcm4360

/System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOBluetoothFamily

/System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport.kext/Contents/MacOS/BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport

/System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/CSRBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport.kext/Contents/MacOS/CSRBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport

/System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/CSRHIDTransitionDriver.kext/Contents/MacOS/CSRHIDTransitionDriver

/System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOBluetoothHostControllerUARTTransport.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOBluetoothHostControllerUARTTransport

/System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport

/System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOBluetoothSerialManager.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOBluetoothSerialManager

/System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOBluetoothUSBDFU.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOBluetoothUSBDFU

/System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothHIDDriver.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOBluetoothHIDDriver

/System/Library/Extensions/webcontentfilter.kext/Contents/MacOS/webcontentfilter

@parcox and @ted23p

Did you replace your /EFI/CLOVER folder with the latest zip - at least put the new config.plist for kext patch of AppleHDA in there?

can you run these 2 command and post the output? 

$ ls -l /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA*/Contents/M*

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS:

total 2152

-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  1100672 Sep 19 03:16 AppleHDA

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA_20672.kext/Contents/MacOS:

total 8

lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  64 Oct 14 10:26 AppleHDA -> /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA

$ bdmesg | grep KextToPatch

0:105  0:000  KextToPatch 0: AppleHDA (change AD198B for Conexant 20672) Kext bin patch, data len: 4

For now, I just rolled-back AppleHDA to my patched AppleHDA which is working on Mavericks. Sound is working, but another bigger problem comes. F5521gw is also not working anymore. It is indeed still detected, but when I click connect button, it says connecting and after several seconds it is disconected. I even installed Ubuntu virtual machine to test it, and as I expected it works flawlessly within Ubuntu. Anyone can confirm this? My internet connection really depends on it. 

PS: I still did not try WWAN mode. 

@parcox - this what i used to do to make the AppleHDA.kext for the T420. very simple.

so now anyone can build their own AppleHDA.kext for the T420 -  if the AppleHDA_20672.kext is not working for some reason.

get the patch-hda.pl script from bcc9's post. it will patch the binary. 

the Info.plist Platforms.xml.lib and layout12.xml.zlib are the custom ones that are different from the stock version.

make a copy of AppleHDA.kext to preserve the original. then:

cp -p Info.plist /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext/Contents

cp -p Platforms.xml.zlib layout12.xml.zlib /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources

./patch-hda.pl 14f1506e

touch /System/Library/Extensions

@parcox - this what i used to do to make the AppleHDA.kext for the T420. very simple.

so now anyone can build their own AppleHDA.kext for the T420 -  if the AppleHDA_20672.kext is not working for some reason.

get the patch-hda.pl script from bcc9's post. it will patch the binary. 

the Info.plist Platforms.xml.lib and layout12.xml.zlib are the custom ones that are different from the stock version.

make a copy of AppleHDA.kext to preserve the original. then:

cp -p Info.plist /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext/Contents

cp -p Platforms.xml.zlib layout12.xml.zlib /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources

./patch-hda.pl 14f1506e

touch /System/Library/Extensions

Ok I'll try it later.

For the internal modem, I solved it by installing custom modem scripts which I download from this link. 

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/283158-solved-ml-on-hp-elitebook-8460p/?p=1860609