Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, freddie said:

FaceTime worked now... I used WiFi instead of my LAN cable. My Catalina install is full of spooky stuff :blink:

This made me curious so i decided to try with just a LAN connection since i'm always using WiFi. But i can still FaceTime no problem even on LAN.

It's so weird, i don't get it. But hey at least it works now.

@ShroomKing

i put in IntelMausi Eth kext for each OS from 10.12 ... 10.15 and removed it from Other so now it should work for an of the most recent 4 OS versions. i alway make eth en0 and wifi en1. and then app store seems to work better.

• Like 1

and if you are saying enabling the PID thing is important change SIP from whatever to this 0x3E7

turns on the bold items with these 10 bits

Default Disable SIP: 0x3E7 = 11 1110 0111

/* Rootless configuration flags */

#define CSR_ALLOW_UNTRUSTED_KEXTS       (1 << 0)

#define CSR_ALLOW_UNRESTRICTED_FS       (1 << 1)

#define CSR_ALLOW_TASK_FOR_PID          (1 << 2)

#define CSR_ALLOW_KERNEL_DEBUGGER       (1 << 3)

#define CSR_ALLOW_APPLE_INTERNAL        (1 << 4)

#define CSR_ALLOW_UNRESTRICTED_DTRACE   (1 << 5)

#define CSR_ALLOW_UNRESTRICTED_NVRAM    (1 << 6)

#define CSR_ALLOW_DEVICE_CONFIGURATION  (1 << 7)

#define CSR_ALLOW_ANY_RECOVERY_OS       (1 << 8)

#define CSR_ALLOW_UNAPPROVED_KEXTS      (1 << 9)

check: old was 0x3C3 = 11 1100 0011

$ nvram -p|sort

csr-active-config %e7%03%00%00

Edited by tluck
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, tluck said:

and if you are saying enabling the PID thing is important change SIP from whatever to this 0x3E7

turns on the bold items with these 10 bits

Default Disable SIP: 0x3E7 = 11 1110 0111

/* Rootless configuration flags */

#define CSR_ALLOW_UNTRUSTED_KEXTS       (1 << 0)

#define CSR_ALLOW_UNRESTRICTED_FS       (1 << 1)

#define CSR_ALLOW_TASK_FOR_PID          (1 << 2)

#define CSR_ALLOW_KERNEL_DEBUGGER       (1 << 3)

#define CSR_ALLOW_APPLE_INTERNAL        (1 << 4)

#define CSR_ALLOW_UNRESTRICTED_DTRACE   (1 << 5)

#define CSR_ALLOW_UNRESTRICTED_NVRAM    (1 << 6)

#define CSR_ALLOW_DEVICE_CONFIGURATION  (1 << 7)

#define CSR_ALLOW_ANY_RECOVERY_OS       (1 << 8)

#define CSR_ALLOW_UNAPPROVED_KEXTS      (1 << 9)

check: old was 0x3C3 = 11 1100 0011

$ nvram -p|sort

csr-active-config %e7%03%00%00

I only had this problem for the first boot (when you have to setup you account).

Now it is OK!

I still have some graphical glitches... I'm using 2e2 config file.

11 hours ago, tluck said:

did anyone try to boot OpenCore on their system? I hate to admit, i have had no luck getting it off the ground.

I haven't. Now that my system is very stable with Catalina (no crashes, only some minor graphical glitches), I really don't want to mess it up. I would only try it if I would have a spare SSD... Since I only have this one, I will not risk it for the moment.

Edited by freddie

2 hours ago, Tetonne said:

yeah. i followed it. after about 10 hours of messing with the config.plist I got it to (1) scan the systems (still it takes like 30 seconds to find a bootable partition?) - and (2) boot macOS - but then it hangs. 

one big problem is using the customized DSDT vs OC wanting to patch the DSDT on the fly. 

at this point, i dont really see it being any faster/better than using clover for the T420 - which takes about 12 seconds including a 5 second countdown. regardlesss, I can see the approach is cool and good for newer boxes. 

• Like 2

can someone refresh my memory please,

my T420 is under 10.5.3 apfs ssd thanks to http://dosdude1.com/catalina/ and tluck's pack.

if i want to update to 10.5.4 i must prepare a new installer with last OS release and last patcher. Ok for me but

Will this make only the OS update or a clean install ? cos i don't want to install all again ;-)

take care

I'm following this guide to install High Sierra on my T420 but I keep getting stuck at this point:

No matter how long I leave it on it won't progress past this point. I've tried all the config.plist files in the Clover folder but I keep running into this same issue.

Any ideas how to fix this?

I'm using the latest Lenovo-T420-Clover-2020.03.28.zip on a T420 i5 2520m, HD 3000 Graphics, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB Samsung M.2 SSD, 1366x768 Display.

IMG_0068(Edited).jpg

20 hours ago, goodguess said:

You "only" need to run the combo update.

After restart you will get a black screen (as expected).

Reboot from your Catalina boot stick and re-install the patches.

Thats all.

for me with Mojave/Cataline i had to switch to MBP9,1 product/board in config.plist for the system update thing to see an update. I then did the normal combo update to 10.15.4.02. afterwards i switched back to MBP8,1

but i also build the dosdude1 USBS installer which can install ontop of the current OS without wiping anything.

3 hours ago, heavyhdx said:

I'm following this guide to install High Sierra on my T420 but I keep getting stuck at this point:

No matter how long I leave it on it won't progress past this point. I've tried all the config.plist files in the Clover folder but I keep running into this same issue.

Any ideas how to fix this?

I'm using the latest Lenovo-T420-Clover-2020.03.28.zip on a T420 i5 2520m, HD 3000 Graphics, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB Samsung M.2 SSD, 1366x768 Display.

i take it the install went ok? and then after the reboot, you are stuck here. well not sure off hand. what version of HighSierra? seems to be at the point gfx should start.

ideas:

maybe try to inject a bogus graphics with clover such as 0x12345678

try with boot args -x 

or use use an older clover pack from last year ? 

I'm having some issues with Catalina. If I leave the system idle, for example, just downloading some torrents, it freezes and I have to force shutdown.

I have the screen-saver disabled, never put the hard disk to sleep, never put the display to sleep and unchecked the put hard disk to sleep when possible.

Does anyone has been through this, and is there a fix?

Thanks!

Edited by freddie

The Ricoh card reader for SD cards is connected via PCIe.

Sadly Apple never made Kexts for such devices but uses SD Card Readers connected via USB.

No way to get the Ricoh thing working in macOS.

You may try to look for a JMicron ExpressCard SD plug in which has a kext, but hardware is rare:

https://www.transcend-info.com/Support/No-328

Or use a USB connected ExpressCard SD card reader like this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SanDisk-FlashBack-Adapter-Reader-for-SDHC-SD-Memory-Express-Card-New-SDAD-111/274021252674?hash=item3fccf07e42:g:NkYAAOSws0VdiIU8

A lame duck compared to a PCIe connected one, but working oob.

13 hours ago, goodguess said:

The Ricoh card reader for SD cards is connected via PCIe.

Sadly Apple never made Kexts for such devices but uses SD Card Readers connected via USB.

No way to get the Ricoh thing working in macOS.

You may try to look for a JMicron ExpressCard SD plug in which has a kext, but hardware is rare:

https://www.transcend-info.com/Support/No-328

Or use a USB connected ExpressCard SD card reader like this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SanDisk-FlashBack-Adapter-Reader-for-SDHC-SD-Memory-Express-Card-New-SDAD-111/274021252674?hash=item3fccf07e42:g:NkYAAOSws0VdiIU8

A lame duck compared to a PCIe connected one, but working oob.

Thanks for the reply! I’ll buy an external card reader!

Hello

I have a T420 with a 1600x900 LCD and Intel Only Graphics.

When I try to Install 10.13.6. everything works with the 2e2 config (orig. config.plist and others don't work : White Screen) ... except Sound (it is greyed out and no Sounddevice found)

(is there something to do with the *.dsl Files in the ACPI/1600* Folder ? ... I am confused ...)

So I tried 10.15.2 and 10.15.4 but can't get graphics accerlation to work ... only 1024x768 and Intel 3MB ... 

Can someone help me out ?

Regards Vicy

Hi Vicy!

Did you install Catlina with tluck´s EFI package from a DosDude1 USB stick?

Remember to install the patches for MBP 8,1 after macOS installation.

You will need to boot from your USB stick to get the patcher running - last item on the startup screen in Utilities.

I made a new installer from scratch and this time it worked. Weird.

Now it's pretty much running perfectly except for some occasional graphical glitches but that's completely fine.

One other thing I haven't been able to fix though is the touch pad sensitivity. I have to press down really hard to have the cursor track properly when I'm moving my finger across the trackpad. I've changed all the FingerZ values in the VoodoPS2Controller kext sitting in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other on my EFI partition but the values have no effect. Similarly I want to disable the 3 finger swipe up/down gestures that seem to be hard coded and use the native macOS gestures.

Am I doing something wrong here? How do I make these settings stick?

4 hours ago, heavyhdx said:

I made a new installer from scratch and this time it worked. Weird.

Now it's pretty much running perfectly except for some occasional graphical glitches but that's completely fine.

One other thing I haven't been able to fix though is the touch pad sensitivity. I have to press down really hard to have the cursor track properly when I'm moving my finger across the trackpad. I've changed all the FingerZ values in the VoodoPS2Controller kext sitting in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other on my EFI partition but the values have no effect. Similarly I want to disable the 3 finger swipe up/down gestures that seem to be hard coded and use the native macOS gestures.

Am I doing something wrong here? How do I make these settings stick?

Cool. many of the properties are set in the SSDT-T420-PS2K* - there are 2 versions there - with and without key mappings. 

see the ACPI folder for these files (.dsl is the source), you can change and recompile with the included iasl compiler. and then replace int the ACPI/patched folder

9 hours ago, Vicybaby said:

Hello

I have a T420 with a 1600x900 LCD and Intel Only Graphics.

When I try to Install 10.13.6. everything works with the 2e2 config (orig. config.plist and others don't work : White Screen) ... except Sound (it is greyed out and no Sounddevice found)

(is there something to do with the *.dsl Files in the ACPI/1600* Folder ? ... I am confused ...)

So I tried 10.15.2 and 10.15.4 but can't get graphics accerlation to work ... only 1024x768 and Intel 3MB ... 

Can someone help me out ?

Regards Vicy

per Goodguess' advice on how to use Catalina - i presume you are good to go?

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, tluck said:

Cool. many of the properties are set in the SSDT-T420-PS2K* - there are 2 versions there - with and without key mappings. 

see the ACPI folder for these files (.dsl is the source), you can change and recompile with the included iasl compiler. and then replace int the ACPI/patched folder

Thanks I did that and it worked, the sensitivity is now fine at a value of 30 for FingerZ. However the three finger gestures still aren't working in macOS (things like pinch to zoom with two fingers aren't working either). Is it possible to get these working?

Thanks

On 4/13/2020 at 11:53 AM, goodguess said:

Hi Vicy!

Did you install Catlina with tluck´s EFI package from a DosDude1 USB stick?

Remember to install the patches for MBP 8,1 after macOS installation.

You will need to boot from your USB stick to get the patcher running - last item on the startup screen in Utilities.

Hello

Yes, used DosDude1`s Patcher. Don't work on 10.15.2. and 10.15.4 (Graphics Accerlation & Screen Resolution)

I Think I will stay on 10.13.6. 

What I don`t unterstand ... is there something to do with the 1600X900 Folder in ACPI when taking the 2e2 config ?

Regards Vicy

34 minutes ago, Vicybaby said:

Hello

Yes, used DosDude1`s Patcher. Don't work on 10.15.2. and 10.15.4 (Graphics Accerlation & Screen Resolution)

What I don`t unterstand ... is there something to do with the 1600X900 Folder in ACPI when taking the 2e2 config ?

Regards Vicy

Try to boot from the Catalina Installer USB and apply the patches from the option "macOS install patches" in the menu. If you use tlucks's EFI files it should work straight away. Then you can replace the original config.plist file with the 2e2 to optimise.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, heavyhdx said:

Thanks I did that and it worked, the sensitivity is now fine at a value of 30 for FingerZ. However the three finger gestures still aren't working in macOS (things like pinch to zoom with two fingers aren't working either). Is it possible to get these working?

Thanks

no - not all gestures will work - this is not a magic pad! these are not implemented in the kext/driver. for 3 finger it takes some time to figure out how to do them on the small pad. generally have fingers pointing to side vs pointing to LCD

2 hours ago, Vicybaby said:

Hello

Regards Vicy

There are 2 parts to dosdude1 method.

1) build a custom USB installer with his tool. and the just add the Clover EFI to the USB.

2) make sure you either build the installer to automatically install the patches (Default now) or use the USB installer a second time to do the post install patching - which add gfx for HD3000

you really dont need to mess with the alternate DSDT files in APCI for changing the EDID. i forget why i even made them?! just try rename config.EDID-{2e2,2e3,366}.plist to config.plist

• Like 1