Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

* * * * * 48 votes UEFI ThinkPad T420 Lenovo Clover

Best Answer tluck, 08 October 2013 - 02:47 PM

Lenovo T420 Clover Guide

• Release v2017.11.05 on GitHub
    • Updated to Clover r4293
    • Revised Utility Scripts using Sleepwatcher and Clover to deal with BT in High Sierra
    • Updated config.plist files:
      - Added Hide Preboot in GUI section
      - Added AHCIPort kext patches by SunKi
      - Set (back) inject GFX by default
    • Added EFICheckDisabler.kext - To not check EFI firmware
    • Updated Lilu/AppleALC to latest rev 1.2.1 - Compiled for both Sierra and High Sierra
    • Updated AppleBacklightInjector kext - All kexts now work injected from ESP
    • Updated ACPIBatteryManager kext to latest rev
    • Updated FakeSMC kext to latest rev

Various Releases and Tweaks over Last 6 months

Spoiler

Overview

Spoiler

New Installation Steps and Details

Spoiler

Part 1 - OS Installation

Spoiler

Part 2 - Post OS Installation and Setup on HD

Spoiler

Known Issues and Random Tips:

Spoiler

Notes on Custom Kexts

Spoiler

General Notes, Fixes, and Features

Spoiler

Optional: Create a custom SSDT

Spoiler

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
3894 replies to this topic

Tetonne

Tetonne

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

VGA on 3rd port is OK :) great thanks again luck!!!

Tetonne

Tetonne

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

did someone update to 10.13.2?

i test it but it seems to be very slow (hd access?)

roki303

roki303

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Hi,

I was able to successfully upgrade my T420 from Sierra to High Sierra. Under Sierra the system was super stable no issue. Unfortunately I'm having issues under Sierra. After couple of minutes of inactivity seems like mediaanalysid process starts and uses a lot of CPU. Couple of minutes later the system freezes. The cursor moves but I can't click anything and sometimes I get also "spinning marble of doom". Seems like it chokes while trying to analyze my photo library. DOesn't seem like it overheats or something as sometimes the fan is not even working hard (but the CPU graphs look high) ... not sure. As long as I keep on moving that cursor it seems to be stable... 

Disabled all the power saving features, screen savers etc but the only way to keep it stable is to move the mouse cursor every 7 - 8 minutes or so. Any ideas?

My system: Lenovo T420 with Intel i5-2520M and Intel HD 3000 running at 1366x768

pure.wisdom

pure.wisdom

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi,

I was able to successfully upgrade my T420 from Sierra to High Sierra. Under Sierra the system was super stable no issue. Unfortunately I'm having issues under Sierra. After couple of minutes of inactivity seems like mediaanalysid process starts and uses a lot of CPU. Couple of minutes later the system freezes. The cursor moves but I can't click anything and sometimes I get also "spinning marble of doom". Seems like it chokes while trying to analyze my photo library. DOesn't seem like it overheats or something as sometimes the fan is not even working hard (but the CPU graphs look high) ... not sure. As long as I keep on moving that cursor it seems to be stable... 

Disabled all the power saving features, screen savers etc but the only way to keep it stable is to move the mouse cursor every 7 - 8 minutes or so. Any ideas?

My system: Lenovo T420 with Intel i5-2520M and Intel HD 3000 running at 1366x768

I have issue like you on 12.6. I tried to replace other fakesmc.kext and hwmonitor. I don't see any freezes at this time.

tluck

tluck

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

well I am running 10.13.2 without issue... i just posted a new release:

updated with apfs.efi from 10.13.2

updated Lilu/AppleALC 1.2.2

updated Clover to r4338

Note: i am nunning all kexts from ESP 

Tetonne

Tetonne

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Clover r4338 bring by tluck (thanks to him)  :thumbsup_anim:

roki303

roki303

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

I have issue like you on 12.6. I tried to replace other fakesmc.kext and hwmonitor. I don't see any freezes at this time.

Upgraded fakeSMC to the latest version and installed new HWMonitor. Now the system is showing as overheating (guessing that before it wasn't showing correctly and maybe that why it was freezing due to overheating). Under heavy load seems like the fan is steady at ~3500 rpm. Wonder why is the fan not increasing under heavy load? 

tluck

tluck

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,972 posts

@roki303

The fan speed was an issue for me as it is for many. the fan mostly ran at 3500 RPM no matter what. so there is a decent workaround. replace/use the DSDT with the "heat step" method that steps the fan up from 1900 RPM based on CPU temp. search this topic for heat-step for more info.

Tetonne

Tetonne

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

question about : 

All kexts now work injected from ESP

i do understand that there is no more kext in /L/E (nor in /S/L/E for a long time)

but my T420 doesn't work like that even if i ask for kext injection in config (detect/YES)

it does work correctly with all kexts in /L/E

no kext in /L/E is just perfect solution for upgrading (cos it's like a real mac)

did i miss something?

tluck

tluck

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,972 posts

well for me on my systems, I just have kexts in ESP

CLOVER/OEM/<boardid1>/kexts/Other 

CLOVER/OEM/<boardid2>/kexts/Other

CLOVER/OEM/<boardid3>/kexts/Other

etc

There maybe some kexts that need to be in /L/E. But as far as I can tell, the current T420 zip works just fine having Clover inject the kexts. Same thing for the USB or downloaded installer - uses injected kexts.

Since I am on SSD, i don't see any real performance difference.

I can clone my disk from my macbookpro, install the ESP and put it into my 3 hacks. 

Tetonne

Tetonne

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

my kexts are installed as recommanded CLOVER/OEM/<boardid1>/kexts/Other with injected kexts in config (Detect or YES) :(

it's  just hard to make OS upgrade

Thanks tluck

Tetonne

Tetonne

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

"With config.plist/SystemParameters/InjectKexts=Detect, Clover will inject all applicable (depending on version) kexts in EFI/Clover/kexts only if FakeSMC.kext is NOT in kernel cache.

If FakeSMC.kext is in kernel cache and InjectKexts=Detect, Clover will inject nothing from EFI/Clover/kexts."

SOLVED : a boot GUI, press space boot with injected works :)

tluck

tluck

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,972 posts

"With config.plist/SystemParameters/InjectKexts=Detect, Clover will inject all applicable (depending on version) kexts in EFI/Clover/kexts only if FakeSMC.kext is NOT in kernel cache.

If FakeSMC.kext is in kernel cache and InjectKexts=Detect, Clover will inject nothing from EFI/Clover/kexts."

SOLVED : a boot GUI, press space boot with injected works :)

in your ESP you can have the custom kexts in either location (pick one)

EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other 

or

EFI/CLOVER/OEM/4236Y33/kexts/Other

4236Y33 is Tetonne's boardid found in Clover boot.log

remove the custom kexts from /L/E

run sudo kextcache -i /

reboot

you can check the Clover boot.log in /Library/Logs/CloverEFI if you install the clover scripts and set nvram variable Clover.LogEveryBoot to Yes or a number like 10

Tetonne

Tetonne

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

i use OEM cos my OS must be able to boot T420 and 460 even i don't owe it any more

in january i'll have a elitebook 840 or 820 instead of my T420.

--

for unknown reason remove the custom kexts from /L/E and run sudo kextcache -i /

did not work if no extra kexts are in/L/E the only way to make it work is to boot with (injects kexts after space in clover GUI)

otherwise, it boot but never go outside of back screen after progressing bar

i also use Onyx

cpr

cpr

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

@witjojo - you can also get the broadcom kexts from the T460 guide (see my sig)

I am a few years late to this party, and my figure-it-out-fu fails me: How do I "install" Broadcom kext(s)?

I have a T420 with HighSierra (installed 10 days ago exactly as described in this post).

The new BroadcomBCM943224HMS arrived and is recognized from an Ubuntu installation medium.

I searched half a night and more but always the instructions just say "install kext" --  but what is that? I did the following but "About this Mac" > "System Report" does not show the hardware, neither in "Network > Wi-Fi" nor in "Hardware > PCI".

This is what I did:

sudo mkdir /Volumes/ESP
sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/ESP

wget https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-brcmpatchram/downloads/RehabMan-BrcmPatchRAM-2016-0705.zip -o ~/Downloads/RehabMan-BrcmPatchRAM-2016-0705.zip
sudo cp -a ~/Downloads/Release/BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo cp -a ~/Downloads/Release/BrcmPatchRAM2.kext /Volumes/ESP/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext

cd /Volumes/ESP/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/
sudo ./_kext-install.command

Am I just mis-interpreting the instruction "install kext"?

5 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2017 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy