Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

* * * * * 48 votes UEFI ThinkPad T420 Lenovo Clover

Best Answer tluck, 08 October 2013 - 02:47 PM

Lenovo T420 Clover Guide

• Release v2017.11.05 on GitHub
    • Updated to Clover r4293
    • Revised Utility Scripts using Sleepwatcher and Clover to deal with BT in High Sierra
    • Updated config.plist files:
      - Added Hide Preboot in GUI section
      - Added AHCIPort kext patches by SunKi
      - Set (back) inject GFX by default
    • Added EFICheckDisabler.kext - To not check EFI firmware
    • Updated Lilu/AppleALC to latest rev 1.2.1 - Compiled for both Sierra and High Sierra
    • Updated AppleBacklightInjector kext - All kexts now work injected from ESP
    • Updated ACPIBatteryManager kext to latest rev
    • Updated FakeSMC kext to latest rev

Various Releases and Tweaks over Last 6 months

Spoiler

Overview

Spoiler

New Installation Steps and Details

Spoiler

Part 1 - OS Installation

Spoiler

Part 2 - Post OS Installation and Setup on HD

Spoiler

Known Issues and Random Tips:

Spoiler

Notes on Custom Kexts

Spoiler

General Notes, Fixes, and Features

Spoiler

Optional: Create a custom SSDT

Spoiler

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
3937 replies to this topic

witjojo

witjojo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

It can be so easy. Now I read this:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- is your screen 1600x900? if so try this

mount ESP

cd /Volumes/ESP/EFI/Clover/

1) edit config.plist - change Inject Intel true to Inject Intel false

<key>Inject</key>
                <dict>
                        <key>Intel</key>
                        <false/>
                </dict>

2) cd ACPI

cp dsdt.edid.aml patched/dsdt.aml

reboot

----------------------------------------------------------------------

This workes now perfekt for me.

Nevertheless thanks @tluck

Witjojo

Tough Guy

Tough Guy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I'm trying to update El-Capitan 10.11.6 to High Sierra. Here are the steps I taken.

1) App Store was giving me a 19 mb file and I had to download the full installer with a utility called "macOS High Sierra Patcher". (Downloaded and copied into /Applications).

2) Downloaded the latest clover source files zip from git in the given link. (Release v2017.10.23 on GitHub)

3) Mounted my EFI using Clover configurator and took a backup of EFI folder

4) Replaced the EFI folder with the downloaded and extracted EFI folder

5) Reverted my config.plist from backup

6) Followed Part 2 section 4 - 8 from this guide (Optional installing kexts)

Run the High Sierra installer from the /Applications Folder, restarted and chosen the first two clover options one by one but nothing got me to High Sierra installation.

a ) The first option loads the existing OSX El-Capitan

b ) The second option shows an error sign and computer stops there.

Where am I making the mistake?

tluck

tluck

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,991 posts

@Tough Guy - you need to download the full High Sierra installation which is like 5GB. the patcher seems to be to for unsupported models. so does not apply here.

Tough Guy

Tough Guy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

@Tough Guy - you need to download the full High Sierra installation which is like 5GB. the patcher seems to be to for unsupported models. so does not apply here.

Thanks for the reply. I was suspecting the High Sierra download as it is probably modified to avoid the AFPS check. The only thing which was giving me confidence was it was 5.18 GB. I'll try to download the High Sierra on my iMac and will use it instead.

Thanks again for your time.

Tough Guy

Tough Guy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Since my iMac is mistakenly updated to High Sierra without taking any backup of the installer, I don't have a choice except to give the 19.9 MB installer another try. (Currently downloading)

I forgot to mention that I clean installed one spare T420 with this patcher installer. I was suspecting that maybe the apfs.efi driver is causing the trouble for this patcher installer for the update process.

I'll update with 19.9 mb installer and if it didn't work, removing the apfs.efi driver and give the patcher installer another try.

tluck

tluck

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,991 posts

well. FYI you can (re-) download the High Sierra Installer from your iMac after the install (which does deletes it to save space!) .... or you should be able do the same thing on your T420 on El Capitan... just run the AppStore there?

Tough Guy

Tough Guy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Thanks for the tip. Now downloading the High Sierra full installer through the App Store. Hopefully it will work for the upgrade process.

osxedwin

osxedwin

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello All,

Is anyone else having trouble with their dvd bay hd caddy after switching to High Sierra? Under High Sierra mine now shows the disk in Disk Utility, but it shows as Uninitialized and I then if I try to format it cannot complete the format. I tried with same drive under he previous Sierra and all is good. Anyone have any suggestions? I know about the little switch, that is good, I am wondering if a particular file changed...

Thanks in advance

adaml75

adaml75

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Hi, there is a bug in AHCIport kext in Sierra, there are ways to patch it (google). After patch second HDD works fine.

Tetonne

Tetonne

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Hi, there is a bug in AHCIport kext in Sierra, there are ways to patch it (google). After patch second HDD works fine.

i found :

http://hackintosher....h-sierra-10-13/

- http://www.insanelym...leahciportkext/

Le credit revient ➤Sunki

@adaml75 : could have been great to share the solution here ;)

tluck

tluck

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,991 posts

@adaml75 -- thanks for the tip...

I put the 2 patches listed by fusion71au from here (from SunKi):

http://www.insanelym...pleahciportkext.

on my system for initial testing on a 500GB drive that would always say its not initialized and it is now working the bay.

Tetonne

Tetonne

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Great news : ) more information             #13               and              #185            

eman.morales

eman.morales

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

@adaml75 -- thanks for the tip...

I put the 2 patches listed by fusion71au from here (from SunKi):

http://www.insanelym...pleahciportkext.

on my system for initial testing on a 500GB drive that would always say its not initialized and it is now working the bay.

Hey luck!! Thanks for updating the files on Github, and my HDD in the bay works now. Also you should add how to hide the FileVault Preboot. I got my clover boot.log, and specifically looked for my SDD UUID. APFS makes it a little more difficult. The values will be different for everyone but I am sure they are in order. in Clover boot loader the boot options are in order with the values below so i think it is safe to guess. Just add the highlighted options to GUI->Hide with clover configurator. For example the numbers highlighted in purple, if that was put in the Hide section then all of the macOS boot options would disappear.

0:947  0:000  - [11]: Volume: PciRoot(0x0)\Pci(0x1F,0x2)\Sata(0x0,0x0,0x0)\HD(2,GPT,C579DF26-5998-4689-A33C-3F6C31EA32EF,0x64028,0xEE18260)\VenMedia(BE74FCF7-0B7C-49F3-9147-01F4042E6842,5099D6D270886A46AFF5AE46BEE18F49) FileVault Preboot

0:947  0:000  - [12]: Volume: PciRoot(0x0)\Pci(0x1F,0x2)\Sata(0x0,0x0,0x0)\HD(2,GPT,C579DF26-5998-4689-A33C-3F6C31EA32EF,0x64028,0xEE18260)\VenMedia(BE74FCF7-0B7C-49F3-9147-01F4042E6842,7A51D523D905E434866EF6CB5680EDADHigh Sierra I knew this was the partition for HS because in system profiler my HS partition UUID ended in DAD.

0:947  0:000  - [13]: Volume: PciRoot(0x0)\Pci(0x1F,0x2)\Sata(0x0,0x0,0x0)\HD(2,GPT,C579DF26-5998-4689-A33C-3F6C31EA32EF,0x64028,0xEE18260)\VenMedia(BE74FCF7-0B7C-49F3-9147-01F4042E6842,E4DAED4C6A40334485F883440991BD6DThis is the Recovery Partition

0:947  0:000  - [14]: Volume: PciRoot(0x0)\Pci(0x1F,0x2)\Sata(0x0,0x0,0x0)\HD(2,GPT,C579DF26-5998-4689-A33C-3F6C31EA32EF,0x64028,0xEE18260)\VenMedia(BE74FCF7-0B7C-49F3-9147-01F4042E6842,F6B2A461E22027458931C7D5C812D

Tetonne

Tetonne

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Thanks again tluck for this new pack :) Have a nice day

tluck

tluck

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,991 posts

@eman - To hide Preboot, I can add this to the config.plist files - this is all i have in my GUI section

<key>Hide</key>
  <array>
   <string>Preboot</string>
  </array>

chris1111

chris1111

Packager

• Donators
  • 4,596 posts
  • Interests:Mac OS X Packaging / scripts

The Sunki patch Hot pLug works also for eSATA Hot plug  :D on 7 serie and 6 Serie

skoal2007

skoal2007

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

anyone tried 10.13.1 yet?

According to Apple, update also includes:

• Fixes a bug where Bluetooth appeared as unavailable during Apple Pay transactions.
  • Improves the reliability of Microsoft Exchange message sync in Mail.
  • Fixes an issue where Spotlight does not accept keyboard input.
  • Improves the reliability of SMB printing.
  • Makes Touch ID preferences accessible while logged in as a mobile account on MacBook Pro with Touch Bar.
  • Adds support for unlocking a FileVault-encrypted APFS volume using a recovery keychain file. For details, enter man diskutil in Terminal.

tluck

tluck

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,991 posts

@skoal2007 - i enroll in the beta program so get an OS beta update about every 2 weeks. So Yes 10.13.1 final is available and is way less buggy.

kami11o

kami11o

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

First of all, big thanks to @tluck for great work.

I've recently switched from T520 with Intel card only, which have been working perfectly on High Sierra, to W520 with nvidia card onboard. It is working fine, although I have some issues:

• No image on external display on Intel card using display port. I've read that this is supported only on nvidia card, which leads to another issue.
  • Nvidia card is not working on thinkpad's LCD, I've installed latest web driver 'WebDriver-378.10.10.10.15.121.pkg' http://www.nvidia.co...26157/en-us andswitched to MacBook Pro 10,1 profile with no luck.
  • Two USB 3.0 ports - after adding mXHCD.kext from @jenyunhuang, it works but it is terribly slow. Does someone else experienced this issue?

Would somebody be willing to share theirs W520 configuration (config.plist, DSDT, kexts, etc...) or maybe give some advice on the above issues? 

skoal2007

skoal2007

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

First of all, big thanks to @tluck for great work.

I've recently switched from T520 with Intel card only, which have been working perfectly on High Sierra, to W520 with nvidia card onboard. It is working fine, although I have some issues:

• No image on external display on Intel card using display port. I've read that this is supported only on nvidia card, which leads to another issue.
  • Nvidia card is not working on thinkpad's LCD, I've installed latest web driver 'WebDriver-378.10.10.10.15.121.pkg' http://www.nvidia.co...26157/en-us andswitched to MacBook Pro 10,1 profile with no luck.
  • Two USB 3.0 ports - after adding mXHCD.kext from @jenyunhuang, it works but it is terribly slow. Does someone else experienced this issue?

Would somebody be willing to share theirs W520 configuration (config.plist, DSDT, kexts, etc...) or maybe give some advice on the above issues? 

yeah, if there is installation guide for w520, I will switch to w520 too, since it can take 32gb ram at max, and w520 much cheaper than t460

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: UEFI, ThinkPad, T420, Lenovo, Clover

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2017 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy