Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, tluck said:

if I understand your question, then you could add the "mount" command into the script installer or add into the script when it runs

no installer script.

after install disable mDNSResponder script, now script is not working.

we need to fix https://github.com/CloverHackyColor/CloverBootloader/blob/master/CloverPackage/CloverV2/rcScripts/etc/rc.boot.d/70.disable_sleep_proxy_client.local.disabled for 10.15

you can test it, it's not working.

in /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist, actually not add "-DisableSleepProxyClient".

is there any idea?

702860944_2019-11-2312_00_16.png.2f7d146147f63d2cca981e953e183f99.png

Found a small PCI-e SSD and installed 10.15.1 on it with CAT Patcher and the latest Clover package tluck has on GitHub.

The OS runs fine so far, but the installer for my JMicron SD card reader refuses to work.

Any thoughts how or where I could place the kext to get it loaded?

JMB38X.kext.zip

The SSD is one of these, but it won´t matter for kext install. ;)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vaseky-128G-Mini-mSATA-3-1-8-Inch-SSD-Hard-Drive-Disk-Storage-Solid-State-for-PC/401927475375?hash=item5d94be90af:g:NCgAAOSwLm1dqzBm

Edit1: Managed to mount system partition read/write and installed kext to S/L/E.

Wish me some luck that it will load. :)

Kext in EFI/EFI/Clover/kexts/others did not work for the SD card reader.

Edit2: No luck so far. :(

Device is seen by the OS, but no SD card is mounted.

JMicron_PCI.png.3df4fd7977790ec5bccb36f2c4852519.png

Edited by goodguess
  • Like 1

On 11/22/2019 at 7:03 PM, Sherlocks said:

no installer script.

after install disable mDNSResponder script, now script is not working.

we need to fix https://github.com/CloverHackyColor/CloverBootloader/blob/master/CloverPackage/CloverV2/rcScripts/etc/rc.boot.d/70.disable_sleep_proxy_client.local.disabled for 10.15

you can test it, it's not working.

in /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist, actually not add "-DisableSleepProxyClient".

is there any idea?

so perhaps it would be better to make this change to /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist withthe pkg installer vs an RC script? ( a post-install thing) I see this is a one time fix vs something that has be done every boot? the installer seems to make the root / read/write and this means you an edit/modify this file?

• 2 weeks later...

@tluck Thanks for your guides/help.  About a year ago I was able to get 10.12.6 running on my T420, it's been a dream and real workhorse at school (I'm a teacher, constantly projecting).  Lately I've had issues where I can't update microsoft office applications because Sierra is no longer supported. 

I feel like it may be time to update and I'm interested in the dosdude method for mojave - would this be advisable?  I

'm not 100% certain on which display I running, how would I go about checking this? 

I've downloaded a 10.14 installer and a 10.14.4 updater (as well as Dosdude's patcher). - Before I begin, what should I back up and how?

Edited by namisloc
added info

Maybe over cautious, but I prefer to keep a working and bootable Sierra instance on a 128BG SSD.

CarbonCopyCloner does perfect macOS clones, just add tluck´s Clover files to EFI/EFI and everything should work.

Do you have a 1600x900 display as well?

To determine the display manufacturer, I found it easiest to boot from a Knoppix Live DVD and run hwinfo from Terminal.

The manufacturer may not be that important with 1600x900 displays as tluck´s config.EDID-2e2.plist is working for me with both AUO and LG display.

Office 2011 is working up to 10.14 Mojave, except for the nag screen about apps unsupported in future.

I did not know that Office 365 became unsupported in Sierra, no surprise though.

In case you do consider Office 2011 or CarbonCopyCloner best send a PM.

In the long run, it may be wise to switch to Open Office or Keynote-Numbers-Pages.

For Mojave you should best install macOS from scratch onto a blank SSD.

Maybe consider a m-PCIe SSD too, if you do not need a WWAN card at all.

Format a boot stick HFS+ and run Mojave Patcher with the stick as target.

Don´t forget to add tluck´s Clover package to the USB´s EFI partition.

After booting from the ready made USB stick, best format the target SSD as HFS+ first, then as APFS

(Be sure the EFI partition has been created, as we need it for booting.)

Finally let macOS installer do its thing.

Boot from SSD to get through the Apple quest and complete installation. (this is with a mediocre 16MB graphics, but it works)

Finally boot from the USB stick again and run the Mojave Patcher from Utilities, select a MBP 8,1 if this is not there by default.

At next boot from SSD, GPU support should work.

For your WLAN, please read here: 

Many here are using Broadcom WLAN, as its hassle free.

The devices are about € 3,- from China meanwhile: DELL DW1510 Wireless-N Wlan Half-Mini WIFI Card BCM94322HM8L

Edited by goodguess
  • Like 1

@namisloc

glad to hear that you had a good experience.

anyway before you update - make sure you load the newer zip file. Reboot and make sure Sierra works fine. ther clover folders especially the kexts.

This way you will be ready for the upgrade.

all the new kexts work for 10.12-10.15 except the ethernet kext which is good on 10.13+, but the older one still works fine too.

your current config.plist may be fine as is.

perhaps preserve/move the current kexts into ESP/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.12

do somerthing like this:

mount your ESP

cd /Volumes/ESP

cp -a EFI EFI-Backup

cd EFI/CLOVER

mv drivers* old_drivers

mv kexts/Other kexts/10.12

cp config.pist config.works.plist

then you copy the new stuff on to /Volumes/ESP/EFI (like with ditto etc)

2 hours ago, tluck said:

@namisloc

glad to hear that you had a good experience.

anyway before you update - make sure you load the newer zip file. Reboot and make sure Sierra works fine. ther clover folders especially the kexts.

This way you will be ready for the upgrade.

all the new kexts work for 10.12-10.15 except the ethernet kext which is good on 10.13+, but the older one still works fine too.

your current config.plist may be fine as is.

perhaps preserve/move the current kexts into ESP/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.12

do somerthing like this:

mount your ESP

cd /Volumes/ESP

cp -a EFI EFI-Backup

cd EFI/CLOVER

mv drivers* old_drivers

mv kexts/Other kexts/10.12

cp config.pist config.works.plist

then you copy the new stuff on to /Volumes/ESP/EFI (like with ditto etc)

Appreciate the help - can I buy you a beer?

Im going to take goodguess' advice and buy a fresh SSD, I've been feeling like upgrading from my current 256 so something a bit meatier anyway.

15 hours ago, goodguess said:

Maybe over cautious, but I prefer to keep a working and bootable Sierra instance on a 128BG SSD.

CarbonCopyCloner does perfect macOS clones, just add tluck´s Clover files to EFI/EFI and everything should work.

Do you have a 1600x900 display as well?

To determine the display manufacturer, I found it easiest to boot from a Knoppix Live DVD and run hwinfo from Terminal.

The manufacturer may not be that important with 1600x900 displays as tluck´s config.EDID-2e2.plist is working for me with both AUO and LG display.

Office 2011 is working up to 10.14 Mojave, except for the nag screen about apps unsupported in future.

I did not know that Office 365 became unsupported in Sierra, no surprise though.

In case you do consider Office 2011 or CarbonCopyCloner best send a PM.

In the long run, it may be wise to switch to Open Office or Keynote-Numbers-Pages.

For Mojave you should best install macOS from scratch onto a blank SSD.

Maybe consider a m-PCIe SSD too, if you do not need a WWAN card at all.

Format a boot stick HFS+ and run Mojave Patcher with the stick as target.

Don´t forget to add tluck´s Clover package to the USB´s EFI partition.

After booting from the ready made USB stick, best format the target SSD as HFS+ first, then as APFS

(Be sure the EFI partition has been created, as we need it for booting.)

Finally let macOS installer do its thing.

Boot from SSD to get through the Apple quest and complete installation. (this is with a mediocre 16MB graphics, but it works)

Finally boot from the USB stick again and run the Mojave Patcher from Utilities, select a MBP 8,1 if this is not there by default.

At next boot from SSD, GPU support should work.

For your WLAN, please read here: 

Many here are using Broadcom WLAN, as its hassle free.

The devices are about € 3,- from China meanwhile: DELL DW1510 Wireless-N Wlan Half-Mini WIFI Card BCM94322HM8L

I definitely need WLAN, certainly don't mind upgrading hardware if need be.  I'm a teacher and I can't afford to be without a machine so I think I'll wait until winter break starts to mess around with the upgrade; that will also give me time to wait on a new SSD to arrive.

• Like 1

Sorry mate, I was thinking about the WWAN slot near the RAM at the bottom, not the WLAN WiFi slot, which you do need to populate with some WiFi card of course. Some mPCIe SSDs from China might be considered, as 2nd or 3rd drive.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vaseky-Mini-1-8-mSATA-SSD-256G-MLC-Solid-State-Drive-for-Desktop-Notebook-PC/114000223395?hash=item1a8af15ca3:g:tAwAAOSwyutcorpZ

I´m using one of the 128GB devices to test drive Catalina.

• Like 2

@namisloc

goodguess knows his stuff and I will try not to duplicate his valuable advice.

so let's not get confused on the difference between WWAN with WLAN/WiFi - they are different. did you replace the Intel WiFi with a Atheros or Broadcom chip? - which would be under the keyboard... or are you connecting with wired ethernet?

goodguess was suggesting an m-PCI type SSD which would fit in the bottom after you remove the panel (to get at the extra memory slot.) Certainly an option. if you don't have a WWAN card taking up the slot.

I agree - having a 2nd disk is a good way to go... 256 or 512 GB SDD depends on how much data - will make it feel like a new machine! 

I bought a disk bay caddy for about $10 and l put my ssd in there.

my HD is now the backup in the original slot. Carbon Copy Cloner is great way to make copies.

you can make a copy of Sierra on the new SSD and then you can upgrade that disk with the Mojave or Catalina. clover of course lets you pick which OS to boot. I default to Catalina now.

have fun.

Comrades, I already told you about my problems with HWSensors.6.26.1443.unsigned.pkg from tluck´s Utility folder in his Clover package.

Usually I´m a big follower of hardware monitoring. ;)

HWSensors did break T420´s PS2 keyboard and mouse in Sierra and right now in Catalina again.

I could install RehaMan´s VoodooPS2Controller.kext 2018-1008 via USB mouse and keyboard app.

Now, I do have a workaround, but feel somewhat "bad" about it, as PS2 devices where working like a charm before installing the above .pkg.

I feel there must be a solution to get back PS2 via Clover - but how?

Did anybody else loose his PS2 devices after installing HWSensors?

Edited by goodguess

@goodguess .... hmm sorry about your frustrations.

you can disable kexts from Clover. is the app or HWMonitor kexts causing the problem for you?

but I too have a USB keyboard that works great in emergencies. 

what did you exactly did you install in the pkg that broke things? I recommend just installing the plugins for ACPI and CPU

I looked at Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave, and Catalina see if HWMonitor works. I had no issues? I can start HWMonitor and see the stats, and also use the terminal?

tluck@Toms-Mac ~

$ kextstat |grep -v apple| sed -e's/  */ /g'|cut -d" " -f 7,8|sort

(Version) UUID

as.vit9696.AppleALC (1.4.4)

as.vit9696.Lilu (1.4.1)

as.vit9696.WhateverGreen (1.3.6)

com.insanelymac.IntelMausiEthernet (2.5.0)

com.parrotgeek.SIPManager (1)

com.rehabman.driver.ACPIPoller (0.8.2)

com.rehabman.driver.USBInjectAll (0.7.1)

org.hwsensors.driver.ACPISensors (1443)

org.hwsensors.driver.CPUSensors (1443)

org.netkas.driver.FakeSMC (1443)

org.rehabman.driver.AppleSmartBatteryManager (1.90.1)

org.rehabman.voodoo.driver.PS2Controller (1.9.2)

org.rehabman.voodoo.driver.PS2Keyboard (1.9.2)

org.rehabman.voodoo.driver.PS2Trackpad (1.9.2)

org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv (6.0.14)

10 hours ago, goodguess said:

Sorry mate, I was thinking about the WWAN slot near the RAM at the bottom, not the WLAN WiFi slot, which you do need to populate with some WiFi card of course. Some mPCIe SSDs from China might be considered, as 2nd or 3rd drive.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vaseky-Mini-1-8-mSATA-SSD-256G-MLC-Solid-State-Drive-for-Desktop-Notebook-PC/114000223395?hash=item1a8af15ca3:g:tAwAAOSwyutcorpZ

I´m using one of the 128GB devices to test drive Catalina.

Purchased, great price for 256gb!

9 hours ago, tluck said:

@namisloc

goodguess knows his stuff and I will try not to duplicate his valuable advice.

so let's not get confused on the difference between WWAN with WLAN/WiFi - they are different. did you replace the Intel WiFi with a Atheros or Broadcom chip? - which would be under the keyboard... or are you connecting with wired ethernet?

goodguess was suggesting an m-PCI type SSD which would fit in the bottom after you remove the panel (to get at the extra memory slot.) Certainly an option. if you don't have a WWAN card taking up the slot.

I agree - having a 2nd disk is a good way to go... 256 or 512 GB SDD depends on how much data - will make it feel like a new machine! 

I bought a disk bay caddy for about $10 and l put my ssd in there.

my HD is now the backup in the original slot. Carbon Copy Cloner is great way to make copies.

you can make a copy of Sierra on the new SSD and then you can upgrade that disk with the Mojave or Catalina. clover of course lets you pick which OS to boot. I default to Catalina now.

have fun.

I think I was confusing the WWAN WLAN thing.  During the original Sierra install I upgraded to an Atheros chip; around the same time I bought a disc caddy, similar to what you mentioned.  It houses the original 160gb HDD while my 256gb SSD sits in the default bay, I would like to update the HDD since storage prices are at an all time low and it just seems like a no-brainer.  I just purchased the mPCIe SSD that Goodguess recommended, I'll make that my primary boot drive and keep sierra on the SSD in case I run into troubles.

Thanks tluck!

Just did the dummy install with the hwsensors.pkg, nothing else.

As said before, the hwsensors installer went through without hickup and PS2 devices did work, HWMonitor from Applications did work too.

So far, so good.

After restart however, my PS2 devices were dead, the OS booted fine otherwise.

This happened to me with Sierra and now with Catalina.

Maybe I´m missing something or its just a random issue on my side?

Edit:

Also lost sound that way, forgot to mention.

No worries, I´ll re-install 10.15.1 in a minute.

Edit2:

@namisloc When installing the mPC!e SSD instead of a WWAN card, be sure to have good isolation for the WWAN antenna connectors. You don´t want slack metal connectors dangling in your T420 guts.

I´m using self welding rubber tape in such cases, other solutions may spring to mind too. ;)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Reparatur-und-Dichtband-selbstverschweisendes-Multitape-Rolle-5-m/133025307978?hash=item1ef8ed1d4a:g:lacAAOSwzO9dpHWp

Edited by goodguess
  • Like 1

I was playing around with my T420 with AUO display again.

Swapped the mPCIe SSD with Catalina to it and got the stretched screen again.

Adding 

<key>DualLink</key>

<integer>1</integer>

to the config.EDID-2e2.plist did not cure the horizontally expanded screen as it did with Mojave.

Did anybody try Catalina with a AUO display already and has a fix available?

Tetonne, what about you? ;)

On 12/13/2019 at 6:22 AM, goodguess said:

Adding 

<key>DualLink</key>

<integer>1</integer>

to the config.EDID-2e2.plist did not cure the horizontally expanded screen as it did with Mojave.

trying setting Inject GFX true. this maybe need to be true so properties like DualLink and EDID is injected? 

• Like 1

On 12/13/2019 at 3:22 PM, goodguess said:

Adding 

<key>DualLink</key>

<integer>1</integer>

i'm still under mojave

mojave upgrade was a pain and a neck, may be catalina would be but because i want to still use hfs+ (dude trick), i'm not in a hurry to make that upgrade may be fo 10.15.4 or more. why hfs+ not because apfs is news but because there is not diskwarrior like tool.  

• Like 1

Thanks my friends!

I do see your point Tetonne. There is not much to gain with Catalina and a T420.

The read only System partition alone is enough to say: No, thanks. :)

As for GFX true, tluck - that did nothing for the AUO T420.

I still have the stretched screen. Guess I´ll put back the mSATA to a LG T420 and let this idea go.

Its just curiosity on my side, as things did really work well with Mojave and DualLink.

13 hours ago, goodguess said:

Any thoughts on 10.15.2?

Combo Update does not work on my side - no surprise.

Updating via Cat Patcher is working fine without problems.

yeah i coudn't get it to see there was a new update... so I just built a new USB and did it that way.

Hey guys, I own a T420 that is basically the same as the person that created this guide (minus ram upgraded to 8gbs). I thought it would be fun to install macOS on this thing. I tride following this guide on Mojave first and it worked pretty good, however the video driver wasn't working so that was kinda annoying, and I accidentally corrupted that install so I decided to try High Sierra. With High Sierra it boots to a black screen unless I delete all the boot arguments, change the ID to MacBookPro10,1 and use the config-2e2.plist. Then it boots and I actually have a video driver, but now Ethernet doesn't work and when I try to load the IntelMausiEthernet kext under terminal I get an error and it says it won't start. I also see something in the instructions about DSDT patching and I don't know how to do that and I don't know if that is a part of a problem. Any help would be a appreciated  

80486SX, lol I remember those cpu "wars" very well. ;)

Now, for your macOS, how did you create the USB installer?

You will know that a working Mac OS is the way to go, usually. A virtual machine is fine also.

High Sierra needs some HD 3000 kernel extensions from Sierra to get going, so you may best start with Sierra or use the MojavePatcher or CatalinaPatcher -depending on the macOS you are aiming at.

In any case, you will need the Clover package tluck is maintaining, to boot your T420.

On a side note, it may be wise to find out the exact specs of your display.

I found the Knoppix Live DVD and "hwinfo" from Terminal the easiest way to do so.

Where in the world are you located, BTW? Sending a USB stick via snail mail within Europe may be an option.

No I already have a USB. I don't have a mac though but I basically replicated the tutorial on Windows. I downloaded a vanilla High Sierra dmg with Clover built in, then I mounted the EFI partition using MiniTool so i could see it on my pc. Then, I deleted everything in it and replaced it with the EFI folder in Tluck's download. Then I burnt the DMG to USB. It worked fine with Mojave, minus graphics support. With High Sierra I had to modify boot args every time to get it to boot, and then ethernet wouldn't work there either. My display is 1600*900 btw

Edited by 80486sx

Mojave as of 10.14.4 and higher is a bit trickier to get rolling.

High Sierra should work, but as said before, you have to add the HD3000 kexts from Sierra yourself to have GPU support.

As you seem to have a working macOS, I would create another USB boot stick with dosdude´s patcher and install from scratch again.

http://dosdude1.com/mojave/

Its normal that GPU support is missing with Mojave after first install.

Boot from the patcher USB stick again and install all patches for the MBP 8,1.

That way GPU support and many other things get fixed.

If you display is of AUO type, you may suffer from a stretched screen in Mojave.

Last not least, I would recommend downgrading BIOS to 1.46 to use a modded BIOS with whitelist removed.

When done you may swap the Intel WLAN mPCIe for one of these:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/PCI-E-BCM94322HM8L-DW1510-Mini-Dual-Band-300M-Wireless-Card-For-DELL-E4200-Q4V0/392446917345?hash=item5b5fa8bae1:g:md0AAOSwOKNdjH3w

The card is supported as Airport Extreme up to High Sierra and works with Mojave and Catalina thanks to the Patcher.

Edited by goodguess

What would you recommend? I don't really care which version  I end up using just which one is easier to set up. My BIOS is on 1.52 right now and I saw a modded one for 1.52 online so I would rather use that but I'm not installing it right now because Ethernet is fine for me at the moment, however its not working in High Sierra (which is what is on the laptop now) so I can't download the patcher