Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

* * * * * 48 votes UEFI ThinkPad T420 Lenovo Clover

Best Answer tluck, 08 October 2013 - 02:47 PM

Lenovo T420 Clover Guide

• Release v2017.11.05 on GitHub
    • Updated to Clover r4293
    • Revised Utility Scripts using Sleepwatcher and Clover to deal with BT in High Sierra
    • Updated config.plist files:
      - Added Hide Preboot in GUI section
      - Added AHCIPort kext patches by SunKi
      - Set (back) inject GFX by default
    • Added EFICheckDisabler.kext - To not check EFI firmware
    • Updated Lilu/AppleALC to latest rev 1.2.1 - Compiled for both Sierra and High Sierra
    • Updated AppleBacklightInjector kext - All kexts now work injected from ESP
    • Updated ACPIBatteryManager kext to latest rev
    • Updated FakeSMC kext to latest rev

Various Releases and Tweaks over Last 6 months

Spoiler

Overview

Spoiler

New Installation Steps and Details

Spoiler

Part 1 - OS Installation

Spoiler

Part 2 - Post OS Installation and Setup on HD

Spoiler

Known Issues and Random Tips:

Spoiler

Notes on Custom Kexts

Spoiler

General Notes, Fixes, and Features

Spoiler

Optional: Create a custom SSDT

Spoiler

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
3894 replies to this topic

Somez

Somez

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

well my bay drive container is a 3rd party item and it became super slow - so effectively useless. 

Ouch :(

xeu

xeu

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi

I've upgraded from Sierra to High Sierra last week. Sierra setup was perfectly fine (I'm starting to think I should have kept it !)

Now the bad part (high sierra) - when the computer is awaken after a sleep, randomly (let say 1 out of 3 time) 

it goes to bios POST, clover then the multilingual error message "You need to restart your computer." 

setup:

- t420s with bios mod (including whitelist + vbios)

- clover lastest (4212) from github  https://github.com/t...ovo-T420-Clover

- hibernate was set 0 - it didn't changed during upgrade

$ pmset -g | grep hibernatemode
 hibernatemode        0

The only difference which shouldn't matter : clover config.plist mod & kext related to wifi/bt broadcom ; it was fine w/ sierra.

bdmesg output, after bad wake up:

0:796  0:005  - [04]: 'Macintosh HD'
0:801  0:005          AddLoaderEntry for Volume Name=Macintosh HD
0:802  0:001      Check if volume Is Hibernated:
0:802  0:000      Check sleep image 'by signature':
0:805  0:002      read prefs \Library\Preferences\com.apple.PowerManagement.plist status=Success
0:805  0:000      using default sleep image name = \private\var\vm\sleepimage
0:808  0:002      sleepimage not found -> Not Found
0:808  0:000      hibernated: no - sign
it search for sleepimage, which isn't there (okay as it's configured to not creating one)

/var/log/system.log
Oct  3 09:19:00 xs-MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.quicklook[34902]): Endpoint has been activated through legacy launch(3) APIs. Please switch to XPC or bootstrap_check_in(): com.apple.quicklook
Oct  3 19:42:16 localhost bootlog[0]: BOOT_TIME 1507052536 0

=> no output between those time (slept & failed wake-up)

skoal2007

skoal2007

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Hi

I've upgraded from Sierra to High Sierra last week. Sierra setup was perfectly fine (I'm starting to think I should have kept it !)

Now the bad part (high sierra) - when the computer is awaken after a sleep, randomly (let say 1 out of 3 time) 

it goes to bios POST, clover then the multilingual error message "You need to restart your computer." 

setup:

- t420s with bios mod (including whitelist + vbios)

- clover lastest (4212) from github  https://github.com/t...ovo-T420-Clover

- hibernate was set 0 - it didn't changed during upgrade

$ pmset -g | grep hibernatemode
 hibernatemode        0

The only difference which shouldn't matter : clover config.plist mod & kext related to wifi/bt broadcom ; it was fine w/ sierra.

bdmesg output, after bad wake up:

0:796  0:005  - [04]: 'Macintosh HD'
0:801  0:005          AddLoaderEntry for Volume Name=Macintosh HD
0:802  0:001      Check if volume Is Hibernated:
0:802  0:000      Check sleep image 'by signature':
0:805  0:002      read prefs \Library\Preferences\com.apple.PowerManagement.plist status=Success
0:805  0:000      using default sleep image name = \private\var\vm\sleepimage
0:808  0:002      sleepimage not found -> Not Found
0:808  0:000      hibernated: no - sign
it search for sleepimage, which isn't there (okay as it's configured to not creating one)

/var/log/system.log
Oct  3 09:19:00 xs-MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.quicklook[34902]): Endpoint has been activated through legacy launch(3) APIs. Please switch to XPC or bootstrap_check_in(): com.apple.quicklook
Oct  3 19:42:16 localhost bootlog[0]: BOOT_TIME 1507052536 0

=> no output between those time (slept & failed wake-up)

i got same thing, sleep mode set to 0,3,7 , all not working , have to turn off BT to make sleep/wakeup  working 

xeu

xeu

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

oh thank you,

i've removed bluetooth in bios - and let only "FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext" for wifi ( removed BlueTooth_Injector_T420.kext / BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext / BrcmPatchRAM2.kext ) 

skoal2007

skoal2007

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Can't use bay drive (2nd hard drive) after upgrade to high sierra   :(

tluck

tluck

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

i don't fully understand the Bluetooth KP. so for now I work around it with sleepwatcher - which turns BT off before sleep and back on after sleep. I am traveling for the next week without my Hack but will post stuff when I can.

snike

snike

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I got a peculiar problem.

I had mac os sierra on my T420, it was working fine.

Then I decided to upgrade to High sierra.

It downloaded and installed (I think)

the machine restarted , but I don't see any option to macos in CLOVER.

Only options I have are to my other OSes.

Anyone else had an issue like this ?  

tluck

tluck

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,972 posts

did you update the ESP with the new clover bundle? so that apfs.efi driver is there - if your HD is now apfs vs hfs?

Salastil

Salastil

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Got a High Sierra install functional. Everything seems to work except suspend. Shutting the lid or executing it via MacOS dims the screen but when I look on the case the LED is continuously flashing. I seem to recall the last time I had made this laptop into a Hackintosh that it would remain solid. The screen dims and it appears to go into a low power state. However I can't wake it, no keypress, movement on the mousepad or even tapping the power button will wake it. Anyone have an idea as to what it could be? I'm not very familiar with MacOS though I know my way around the terminal from my Linux usage.

tluck

tluck

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,972 posts
@salastil. Try this

turning off hibernation
Run: sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

and and then turn off bluetooth before putting to sleep

snike

snike

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

did you update the ESP with the new clover bundle? so that apfs.efi driver is there - if your HD is now apfs vs hfs?

Missed that.

Just so that others having the issue know. 

- Downloaded the zip from the main post, extracted the zip and copied the apfs.efi from the CLOVER folder to the corresponding folder on the Hard disk EFI. 

- reboot and the MACOS option appeared in CLOVER boot. 

Thanks Tluck

Salastil

Salastil

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

@salastil. Try this

turning off hibernation
Run: sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

and and then turn off bluetooth before putting to sleep

Cheers, this seems to have resolved the situation. My card is capable of Bluetooth but I'm not very interested in dabbling with it as I have no devices that run Bluetooth aside from a headset. 

skoal2007

skoal2007

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

when connect to external monitor, there is white line flashing sometimes

hRtHFDX.jpg

jus12

jus12

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

I'm using W520 with Nvidia with Sierra with great success, but upgrading to High Sierra messes graphics on Nvidia. So I'll keep it at 10.12.6 for now. My T420 I have used to try Hight Sierra. Installation went fine, but have two issues at the moment. Sleep and Trackpad. Battery Meter after sleep/wake.

1. Sleep, when I disabled hibernation (change to mode 0) and power off bluetooth, sleep and wake works, but when wakes I get strange graphical glitches, artefacts, flickering, text disappearing while typing this post. So I'll need to reboot in a moment. I think it's a problem with the bluetooth kext.

2. Trackpad at the moment doesn't fully work, touch to click or double touch to select doesn't work. Also high Sierra doesn't find trackpad anymore. In settings it's searching for bluetooth trackpad.

After a while the trackpad has been recognised and works. The only thing that doesn't work is double tap and hold to select.

OK trackpad is sorted now. I used these command to make dragging by touching working: (I cannot enable that in pref panel)

com.apple.applemultitouchtrackpad DragLock -int 1

defaults read com.apple.applemultitouchtrackpad Dragging -int 1

3. When after sleep/wake switched form power source to battery, battery icon doesn't update status automatically. Only after enabling/disabling show percentage the status refreshes, bot you need to do that each time to see the current status and current battery capacity. Weird.

Tetonne

Tetonne

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

it' s a pain in neck to upgrade to High Sierra :(

tluck

tluck

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,972 posts

so what is not happening? 

goodguess

goodguess

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Comrades, I want to thank you so much for your work on the T420 Hackbook!

Especially you tluck, for keeping things working and updated.

I did upgrade a Sierra clone to High Sierra and found APFS a really great improvement.

Much faster than HFS+ and a real space saver too.

On the downside, CS5.5 is not really running flawlessly any more and I do see a high battery drain.

Sleep or better wake is not working as it was in Sierra.

The bummer however is, that my routers web interface is unreachable from Safari or Firefox.

The router is kind of old I know, Fritz!Box 7270, but I need that one due to my 3.5 km bell wire to the DSLAM.

My SSD layout looks like this, is there something odd with it?

Preboot volume and synthesised devices, is that the way its supposed to be?

Attached File  diskutil.png   115.75KB   2 downloads

pcace

pcace

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Lenovo T420 Clover Guide

Various Releases and Tweaks over Last 6 months

Spoiler

Overview

Spoiler

New Installation Steps and Details

Spoiler

Part 1 - OS Installation

Spoiler

Part 2 - Post OS Installation and Setup on HD

Spoiler

Known Issues and Random Tips:

Spoiler

Notes on Custom Kexts

Spoiler

General Notes, Fixes, and Features

Spoiler

Optional: Create a custom SSDT

Spoiler

Hi,

usually i just consume all the great content here in the Forum, but this time i really have to say it loud: THANK YOU! For your great work, the extremely good howto and all the efford in keeping this here up to date! 

My MacBook Pro 15'' was stolen half a year ago and i had no money for a new one, so i looked into different possibilities: and the final one was: Buy a used T420 and use your Howto to make it run OSX... and boy - it runs great! 

I am not seeing any Problem so far at all (besides imessage, but i dont use it...) 

I have a model now with the i5, 16gb RAM, 512SSD and a modded 1.46 Bios to run my super old Atheros Wifi card  (and besides the Trackpad it really is an alternative to my 2012 MacBook Pro !!!

So i just have to say it again: THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

PS.: i still have 2 questions: 

1. Do i have to make any changes if i decide to use an i7 2630QM? (Any Clover configs or whatsoever?

2. i do have a second 512gb SSD laying around here... would it be possible to use both as RAID0 to increase read speed (is clover able to do that on the boot disk?)

eman.morales

eman.morales

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

hm weird. It was very easy for me. just updated kexts and clover with the latest update for the t420 from GitHub. reboot. Then install HS update from AppStore, then several reboots later HS was installed like fine. 

jus12

jus12

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

hm weird. It was very easy for me. just updated kexts and clover with the latest update for the t420 from GitHub. reboot. Then install HS update from AppStore, then several reboots later HS was installed like fine. 

Hi Eman, is sleep working for you? For me clean install worked, but there is still the issue with Bluetooth when putting the system into sleep. Also after sleep, I identify some graphical glitches (minimal but still random single horizontal lines) but still that's new and not seen in Sierra.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2017 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy