Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

On 4/2/2019 at 4:59 AM, free2000fly said:

Hi @tluck,  Can you give us a bit of explanation for the config file, such as  2e2, EDID etc.?

these files inject an alternate EDID - rather that default/built-in EDID for your LCD. these are the EDID extracted and corrected (set to RGB only mode etc) from other LCD vendors such as LGD that seem to work better than the common/inferior standard from AUO. Historically these fix problems such as white screen, glitches, and ring buffer hangs. 

• config.EDID-2e2.plist 
  • config.EDID-2e3.plist
  • config.EDID-366.plist

These 2 are for using the unsupported OS Mojave based on LCD size - sets model to MBP9,1 instead of MBP8,1 as well sets a few gfx properties needed.

• config.mojave.1366x768.plist
  • config.mojave.1600x900.plist

Some folks were seeing problems when Clover was asked to patch the DSDT - most of the patching was redundant with the provided DSDT. so now there are 2 versions - one that does a number of patches to patch the built-in DSDT (i.e. when you don't provide one) and a config.plist that does almost nothing to the DSDT since over the years - way before the current SSDT/hot-patch approach was devised - manual edits were made to the DSDT.

• config.patchDSDT.plist - does some patching.
  • config.plist (default) - only fixes regions 

So one should start with config.plist 

if there are glitches, then try config.EDID-2e2 or EDID-2e3

if you are on Mojave - presumable means you know what are doing! - then you need start with this one - which injects EDID-2e3. Note: I am actually using EDID-2e2.

the name/number ie 2e3 is representative of the product id encoded in the EDID string - for example:

00FFFFFF FFFFFF00 30E4E302 00000000 FF140104 801F1178 E2338599 56559127 17505400 00000101 01010101 01010101 01010101 0101AE24 405A6084 1A303020 350036AE 1000001A 401F4080 60841A30 30203500 36AE1000 00180000 00FE004C 656E6F76 6F0A2020 20202020 000000FE 00313630 30783930 300A2020 202000C6 

which means vendor_id 30E4 and product_id E302 - which is byte swapped to mean 02E3

there are corresponding Displayoverride files that match vendor/product_id to provide a better gamma and color space definition. 

Note: The 2e2 EDID worked great for many years (and 5 OS releases - 10.8-10.12) but when HighSierra (and now Mojave) came out glitches and freezes were back for many. Mostly with an AUO LCD and/or less than 16GB of memory. 

But sad to say, seems like HD 3000 models - such as the trusty T420 - are at EOL with the latest macOS. 

- My son has a T420 with 16GB and LGD model LCD on HighSierra and it works quite well for him.

- My T420 has 8GB and AUO LCD and it hangs about every 3 days. i can often revive it by 1-2 sleep/wake cycles (or remote shell to reboot). So I don't use it as my main machine anymore. 

• Like 2

Hi tluck, thanks for posting dosdude´s hack for 10.14.4.

Saving/removing the HD3000 kexts is easy enough, but I can´t find neither GPUSupport.framework nor OpenGL.framework in their mentioned places.

Shall I upgrade in spite of that or will that break 10.14.4?

I´m on 10.14.3 right now and going without the two frameworks.

10 hours ago, goodguess said:

Hi tluck, thanks for posting dosdude´s hack for 10.14.4.

Saving/removing the HD3000 kexts is easy enough, but I can´t find neither GPUSupport.framework nor OpenGL.framework in their mentioned places.

Shall I upgrade in spite of that or will that break 10.14.4?

I´m on 10.14.3 right now and going without the two frameworks.

do this:

save the 2 frameworks from 10.14.3 - i happen put them in /Extra/kext-used/T420/mojave-fix

sudo cp -a /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/GPUSupport.framework <location>

sudo cp -a /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework   <location>

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/*SNB* /System/Library/Extensions/*3000*

and then update to 10.14.4 (don't go to 10.14.5beta - wont work.)

after IN SINGLE USER MODE run the script below to get full gfx acceleration

mount -uw /

cd /Extra/kext-used/T420/mojave-fix/ (your location)

./single-user-post-update.bash 

$ cat single-user-post-update.bash 

#!/bin/bash -x

# replace frameworks

rm -rf /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/GPUSupport.framework

cp -R /Extra/kexts-used/T420/mojave-fix/GPUSupport.framework /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks

rm -rf $prefix/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework     

cp -R /Extra/kexts-used/T420/mojave-fix/OpenGL.framework     /System/Library/Frameworks

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/GPUSupport.framework

chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/GPUSupport.framework

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework

chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework

# put back HD 3000 kexts

cp -R /Extra/kexts-used/T420/10.14/ /System/Library/Extensions

• Like 2

Thanks a bunch again, for the detailed do-this!

I´ll try these days with your latest repo from GitHub.

I think I´ll have a CCC backup first, as I´m not too keen on installing from scratch again. ;)

I never thought we would see 10.14.x on our SandyBridge rigs at all.

Apple´s freebees like Photos and iMovie are a real progress for macOS methinks.

I was thinking of a M2 SSD too, some time ago, Tetonne.

Opened my RAM/PCI-e cover on the back, I´m rather sure that only half size cards would fit in. :(

Also, I seem to recall we would only get SATA-II speed (at most) from the WWAN slot.

Unrelated to M2, I cant seem to find OpenGL.framework or GPUSupport.framework on my macOS installations.

Probably I am missing something.

Alas, the sub-version number of Mojave wont matter much when Apple decides to drop support for 10.14 in 2021 -

presuming that the usual roll-out and let-go policy is still valid.

Edited by goodguess
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Fibroga said:

Hi guys i'm back from a long time.
What about development of mac os on our lenovo? Latest version is stable? if it is not, wich one should i try?

Well, the last supported version is High Sierra 10.13.6   but you may get random glitches unless you have a non AUO LCD

But I am running Mojave 10.14.4 with some extra hacking but. that may be the end of road. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

It's all been much appreciated, tluck. I finally took the plunge and upgraded from 10.12 to 10.14.4—and it all went very smoothly thanks to your bundle. I'm considering even buying a quad core CPU to try making the upgrade and keep it going for a couple more years yet.

I see graphics artifacts in Safari on the tab bar, but reverting the GPUSupport and OpenGL files didn't seem to do anything. Is that what others have been seeing? My main setup (as a desktop) has a cheap egpu+NVIDIA card though, and seems to get full support for everything and much improved render performance (I don't use the LCD screen at all these days, so the HD3000 support doesn't matter anymore for me).

> I was thinking of a M2 SSD too, some time ago, Tetonne.

FWIW, in case you're still considering this, I've had my primary SSD in this slot for years. I can't comment on the performance, as I never bothered to measure. All I can say is that it was a very large improvement over the original spinning disk.

1 hour ago, Manwe150 said:

It's all been much appreciated, tluck. I finally took the plunge and upgraded from 10.12 to 10.14.4—and it all went very smoothly thanks to your bundle. I'm considering even buying a quad core CPU to try making the upgrade and keep it going for a couple more years yet.

I see graphics artifacts in Safari on the tab bar, but reverting the GPUSupport and OpenGL files didn't seem to do anything. Is that what others have been seeing? My main setup (as a desktop) has a cheap egpu+NVIDIA card though, and seems to get full support for everything and much improved render performance (I don't use the LCD screen at all these days, so the HD3000 support doesn't matter anymore for me).

> I was thinking of a M2 SSD too, some time ago, Tetonne.

FWIW, in case you're still considering this, I've had my primary SSD in this slot for years. I can't comment on the performance, as I never bothered to measure. All I can say is that it was a very large improvement over the original spinning disk.

hey glad to hear from you after all these years! ... SSDs are definitely the way to go - especially with APFS.

Since HighSierra HD 3000 with full acceleration will get a few gfx glitches (and hangs).

I boot from my SSD that I put in the expansion bay. Then keep my backup on the original HD in main slot (via Carbon Copy Cloner)  - and actually has Mojave/High Sierra/Sierra on it (for validation).

• Like 1

I´m still missing the needed frameworks for upgrading to 10.14.4. :(

Already searched high and low in vain, could somebody please upload the two files here for me?

GPUSupport.framework

OpenGL.framework

Thanks for caring!

Edited by goodguess

@goodguess

are you are on 10.14.3 now? if so you have them:

sudo mkdir /Temp

sudo cp -a /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/GPUSupport.framework /Temp/

sudo cp -a /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework                 /Temp/

• Like 1

Thank you so much for your time and patience, I must have been too blind to see. ;)

The frameworks are of course in the place you pointed to.

I tried upgrading to 10.14.4 via combo update, but the installer hangs in an early stage forever with less than 1 cm of the progress bar.

No damage done, as I could drop back to 10.14.3 easily.

One thing is somewhat annoying though. I tried upgrading three times an now my BIOS boot screen is crowded like this:

P1080591.thumb.JPG.a08f53b50eb7c5480ef3ba6d3d035792.JPG

P1080592.thumb.JPG.9bda06f873f827e3adc5bcd42b7c073e.JPG

How can I clean up that? (SSD-120 and MJ_240 are the two SSDs installed.)

Further I would like to get rid of the 10.14.4 Update partition, as it seems to be useless.

Last not least, would you like to recommend a simple setup hackintosh for me to replace the T420?

I was thinking of a DELL Latitude E5470, i5-6300U, 256MB M2, but it may not be all that hassle free. 

Edited by goodguess

I am thinking about going from El Capitan to Sierra (not High) (reason: I want to change my egpu to gtx 1070, and 10xx is only supported from Sierra).

Would the High Sierra plist/Clover files work for Sierra, or do I need to look through the GitHub versions for some older zip?

Thanks a bunch :)

@goodguess: related the unwanted uefi boot options. I had the same issue a couple of years ago. I don't remember exactly the method I used, but it was not difficult to get rid of them. Start with a search for "clean uefi boot options", and refine your search from there, you'll find videos and examples as well on how to do it.

I see in your signature you use macos Sierra with T420. You use tluck's ESP files (if so, the most recent, or older ones), or your own?

Edited by davidian
added question
  • Like 2

@goodguess did you remove the HD3000 kexts before you tried to update to 10.14.4? -- take at look at the post about this. 

remove HD 3000 kexts

update to 10.14.4

put 10.14.3 frames in place

put HD 3000 kexts back in place.

as far as a replacement - there seems to be plenty of options. i was really happy with T460 and will buy one for my son soon.

@davidian the most recent zip on works with mojave, highsierra and sierra. i use the same Clover ( config and kexts) in the ESP to triple boot all 3 OS.

• Like 1

Thanks fellows, I´ll try again.

As far as I can tell, I did delete the HD 3000 kexts as advised.

I´m using tluck´s latest repo from 19/04/03, just to confirm.

I did have upgrade issues in the past with a Intel SSD, where upgrading failed in a similar way.

MJ_240 has 80 GB free, so it should not be a storage issue this time.

A T460 will be a nice solution as soon as more leasing returners show up on the 2nd hand market in autumn.

I´ll give the E5470 a go, as its guts look quite similar, (same silly pry open back cover) worst case I have a 30 day return policy. :)

Edited by goodguess

Cleaning up the boot devices goes like this, just to let you know. ;)

t3chman posted this in the Lenovo forums in 2013.

Ladies and Gentlemen...  I have the solution you have been looking for:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Go to the BIOS Setup page.

In the BIOS page go to the "Startup." tab.

Press, "Enter, (the, "Boot," option should be hilighted)."

Now... You don't see the USB device listed, huh?

Press, "F9," for, "Setup Defaults."

A dialogue will appear that asks, "Setup Confirmation.  Load default configuration now?" To which you will press enter for, "Yes."

After you do this ALL of the bootable devices should appear.  I went from only seeing two devices to seeing 12 devices.  If your USB jump drive is in, it should display the make/model of the USB device too.  You can then press the +/- keys to move that deviceto the top of the list.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Note 1:  I am running BIOS version 1.38.

Note 2: I signed up for this forum just so that I could share this information with you because I couldn't find it anywhere else online. :-)

• Like 1

Clover can remove these Clover boot options.

boot to clover and stop... and then move down to Clover boot options with arrow key and then it will be obvious.

I upgraded from El Capitan to Sierra, changed the EFI files before reboot, and all went well.

Everything seems ok, sometimes I see post boot after the apple logo disappears that the screen is getting slower whiter and whiter until reaches a burning white, didnt see this in El Capitan, weird. But it's not always, anyone else seen this before? A reboot or a sleep/wake makes it ok.

Another thing I noticed is that I don't have the battery icon anymore, if I try to switch it on from Energy saver, it shows it for a moment, and then it disappears. HW Monitor shows the battery percentage correctly though. Any ideas?

@tluck someone mentioned earlier changing the cpu to a quad. If one would do this, or someone has a different CPU than yours, should they generate new SSDT with ssdtPRGen? I never thought of this before since with your files the T420 works out of the box, but my hunch would be yes, because of different power states.

Note: the guide mentions in the post boot steps that running the _kext-install.command or copying kexts to /L/E as optional. I noticed with 2-3 installs, that if I don't do that step, then I don't have sound. After running the scrip, sound works.

Edited by davidian

On 5/8/2019 at 10:22 AM, davidian said:

Note: the guide mentions in the post boot steps that running the _kext-install.command or copying kexts to /L/E as optional. I noticed with 2-3 installs, that if I don't do that step, then I don't have sound. After running the scrip, sound works.

Either way is fine. for me, i dont install kexts on my HD anymore. well except with Mojave I install the HD3000 kext in /S/L/E.