Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Web Developer said:

I have the same E560 but I have a different CPU and I don't know if I should do any changes to his files?

And I should I make my own files like DSDT and SSDT and config.plist and do the patchs?

if so how to do that?

if you have the same model but different CPU you should be able to use the files he/she posted for the E560. 

@freddie when you use the SSDT*keys.aml does it change the brightness to be F1/F2 instead of ScrLck/Pause? 

and if you run this command do you get the same output

$ ioreg -l|grep RM,o

| | |   "RM,oem-id" = "LENOVO"
    | | |   "device-properties" = {"RM,oem-table-id"="T420","RM,oem-id"="LENOVO"}
    | | |   "RM,oem-table-id" = "T420"

Installed Mojave using 2018.09.29 release. It works, but it glitches on various situation.

Searched around and found that macOS 10.14 Mojave requires a Metal accelerated GPU, which requires Intel HD 4000 or newer. That is why Mojave drop support for Macbook Pro 2011 with HD 3000 which tluck's guide is impersonating. 

Without Metal acceleration, experience of Mojave on T420 has merely advantage over VMware. 

Does it mean that T420 hackintosh user should stick to High Sierra for smoother experience?

@tluck Thanks for your reply, and thanks for this great guide!!

What do you mean by "Mojave hack"? I'm using config.mojave.plist, and Mojave is recognizing it as MBP11,1 Late 2013. Is there anything I should do to get accelerated graphics?

Edited by myeyre

11 hours ago, myeyre said:

@tluck Thanks for your reply, and thanks for this great guide!!

What do you mean by "Mojave hack"? I'm using config.mojave.plist, and Mojave is recognizing it as MBP11,1 Late 2013. Is there anything I should do to get accelerated graphics?

yes Mojave removes all the SandyBridge (SNB) HD3000 kexts. so you will need copy these from High Sierra. i guess i should update the Guide to make this more clear now that Mojave is released. 

10 hours ago, Fibroga said:

Hi.   I don't own a MAC , is impossible so to have High Sierra on this Laptop without having a real mac before?

yes. The key thing you would need a real mac is getting the OS. Generally you need to download macOS from AppStore to create the USB installer. But there are probably ways to get around this. 

but didnt you already have macOS on your T420? you can upgrade it from an older version by updating first updating the ESP files then upgrading to HighSierra directly.

1 hour ago, tluck said:

yes Mojave removes all the SandyBridge (SNB) HD3000 kexts. so you will need copy these from High Sierra. i guess i should update the Guide to make this more clear now that Mojave is released. 

That would be appreciated.

@tluck Yes, please update the guide for Mojave. 

And, thanks for your hint, searched around found this link:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-lenovo-b570e.255129/page-2#post-1770059

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

And, following the link, I got HD 3000 up by doing following:

#High Sierra - pack the kexts
tar -C /System/Library/Extensions -zcf IntelHD3000.tgz \
AppleIntelHD3000Graphics.kext                          \
AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsGA.plugin                      \
AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsGLDriver.bundle                \
AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsVADriver.bundle                \
AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext                           \
AppleIntelSNBVA.bundle

#Mojave - unpack the kexts
sudo -i
tar -C /System/Library/Extensions -zxf IntelHD3000.tgz
kextcache -i /
shutdown -r now

Voila!!

Thanks again. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Came across weird graphics anomalies like darkish grey Menu Bar and Finder sidebar found here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macos-10-14-mojave-on-unsupported-macs-thread.2121473/

Use the dark theme and bear the less obvious anomalies, or disable transparency, or stay on High Sierra if these eye candy preferred. 

Edited by myeyre

21 hours ago, tluck said:

if you have the same model but different CPU you should be able to use the files he/she posted for the E560. 

@freddie when you use the SSDT*keys.aml does it change the brightness to be F1/F2 instead of ScrLck/Pause? 

and if you run this command do you get the same output

$ ioreg -l|grep RM,o

| | |   "RM,oem-id" = "LENOVO"
    | | |   "device-properties" = {"RM,oem-table-id"="T420","RM,oem-id"="LENOVO"}
    | | |   "RM,oem-table-id" = "T420"

@tluck thanks for your help! Well, at the end I made a fresh install... now everything is working fine!

I have the output you mentioned when doing the ioreg...

I hope everyone understands the updates to the guide for Mojave.

in summary, with the upgrade to Mojave

1) will need to switch from Model MBP8,1 to some supported model - see config.mojave.plist

2) add missing apple kexts removed from Mojave - gfx and wifi

3) deal with limitations of unsupported gfx. 

(thanks to myere who posted some good stuff - i like the limit transparency trick for light mode personally

SO...

If you switch to using the config.mojave.plist, it changes your Model/Product to MBP11,1 which is a supported platform.

install the latest ESP zip and move config.mojave.plist to config.plist and merge in any items you may need - ROM/MLB an LCD properties etc

Note: unless you take special measures, your HD will be APFS afterwards - which is fine IMO.

Once again remember to

• update your ESP and reboot etc before you try to download and install.
  • preserve (copy) the /S/L/E HD3000 and SNB kexts and Atheros Plugin kext to a good non system location.

and you should be able download and go!

On 9/22/2018 at 6:01 AM, freddie said:

Hi, I managed to install Mojave on my T420s with Intel HD3000 (1024 VRAM), but the colours of the menu bar and menus are not OK. See images attached.

Anyone knows how to fix this?

Thanks!

Screenshot 2018-09-22 at 06.51.16.png

Screenshot 2018-09-22 at 06.53.47.png

Is there a fix to these odd coloured bar and menus? I've reinstalled Mojave now it is at official release and have the same strange colours. I'm using the HD3000 files from High Sierra, as detailed in the guide.

T420, HighSierra, I upgraded to 16GB of RAM, and I still get the graphics glitches as much as I always did. I can't comment on if it fixed the random lockups as I didn't use it long enough to find out. (I used to use this every day until the lockups became too much of a pain.)

I'm mainly curious if this is generally an HD3000 issue. I have a chance to get a T530, which has HD4000 graphics. If I hear that macOS runs better on this machine, I may turn it into a Hackintosh and go with HighSierra or Mojave on it, and put regular Sierra on my T420 and T520 since they were quite stable when they ran it before.

4 minutes ago, Mezmaron said:

T420, HighSierra, I upgraded to 16GB of RAM, and I still get the graphics glitches as much as I always did. I can't comment on if it fixed the random lockups as I didn't use it long enough to find out. (I used to use this every day until the lockups became too much of a pain.)

I'm mainly curious if this is generally an HD3000 issue. I have a chance to get a T530, which has HD4000 graphics. If I hear that macOS runs better on this machine, I may turn it into a Hackintosh and go with HighSierra or Mojave on it, and put regular Sierra on my T420 and T520 since they were quite stable when they ran it before.

these glitches/freezes seem to be an HD3000 issue - but perhaps more so with an AUO LCD. Yeah, i retired one of my desktop HD3000 boxes that was my home theater system in preference to slightly newer cpu with HD4000. 

39 minutes ago, bedfellow said:

Is there a fix to these odd coloured bar and menus? I've reinstalled Mojave now it is at official release and have the same strange colours. I'm using the HD3000 files from High Sierra, as detailed in the guide.

Strange colors - meaning darker gray panels in light mode? no fix that i am aware of -  but work arounds - use dark mode

or turn on "Reduce Transparency" in System Preferences/Accessibility/Display

2 minutes ago, tluck said:

Strange colors - meaning darker gray panels in light mode? no fix that i am aware of -  but work arounds - use dark mode

or turn on "Reduce Transparency" in System Preferences/Accessibility/Display

I found this script, but it doesn't seem to stick:

My system got the issues with performance too. Both my X220 and T420 are upgraded to 16GB ram, but I really don't know why both of them boot really slow ( using SSD from Samsung ). When I am able to login into main screen, there another slow loading. I really don't know what wrong to my system now.

4 minutes ago, bedfellow said:

I found this script, but it doesn't seem to stick:

Is it usable ?

Did you try it?

Edited by maihoward1985

7 hours ago, bedfellow said:

Anyone else having issues with signing into app store in Mojave? Mine goes through the motions of me putting in username and password, but does not sign in nor display an error message.

I've just switched back to High Sierra, where app store works, then back into Mojave and it doesn't. Any ideas?

12 hours ago, tluck said:

seems like jackluke's script is just a command line way to turn on "Reduce Transparency" in System Preferences/Accessibility/Display

Not only, it allows to keep Dock and Notification Center transparencies fixing only the "grey" finder menus in "light mode", while using that from the Accessibility prefpane "Reduce Transparency" everything become without any transparency.

Found another two problems:

1) When Mojave boot, it crashes and reboot, when it starts, Problem Report reads:

*** Panic Report ***
panic(cpu 2 caller 0xffffff80084d87bd): Kernel trap at 0xffffff8008a06870, type 14=page fault, registers:

Sleep works fine though.

2) Continuty Camera not working, iCloud is setted up, not sure it is a config problem or hackintosh problem like FaceTime/iMessage.

11 hours ago, bedfellow said:

I've just switched back to High Sierra, where app store works, then back into Mojave and it doesn't. Any ideas?

Okay, I've sussed it. My Ethernet had stopped working correctly. I had been using wifi but the system was installed using ethernet, so it definitely worked initially. Anyway, running the following has resolved the issue:

sudo kextload /Library/Extensions/IntelMausiEthernet.kext
sleep 10
sudo rm   /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, jackluke said:

Not only, it allows to keep Dock and Notification Center transparencies fixing only the "grey" finder menus in "light mode", while using that from the Accessibility prefpane "Reduce Transparency" everything become without any transparency.

oh i see. if you do not logout then you have certain items "reduced" - got it! thanks for making that point.

8 hours ago, myeyre said:

Found another two problems:

1) When Mojave boot, it crashes and reboot, when it starts, Problem Report reads:

*** Panic Report ***
panic(cpu 2 caller 0xffffff80084d87bd): Kernel trap at 0xffffff8008a06870, type 14=page fault, registers:

i too get random KPs on boot. but the offending last loaded kext changes. so not sure what to make of it.