Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, freddie said:

My fans are quiet on Sierra with my T420s i7-2620@2.7GHz. Maybe dust on the fans?

@pcace there is a option/fix to fan speed/heat. instead of relying on the bios to change fans speed which only seemed to run at 2 speeds. The "heat-step" DSDT versions has modified method to change fans speed depending on CPU temp - this requires using it + ACPIPoller.kext - both outlined in the Guide. you can modify temp triggers to match your needs - but there are 7 levels if I remember.

On 9/25/2018 at 8:46 AM, tluck said:

@pcace there is a option/fix to fan speed/heat. instead of relying on the bios to change fans speed which only seemed to run at 2 speeds. The "heat-step" DSDT versions has modified method to change fans speed depending on CPU temp - this requires using it + ACPIPoller.kext - both outlined in the Guide. you can modify temp triggers to match your needs - but there are 7 levels if I remember.

Hey there!

thank you again and again for your great work here!!

I kind of missed the point here ;) i am using the heat-step dsdt. And it is kind of working. I just realized, that under windows the fan can go up to 6500rpm. And i really would love to see that behaviour on the mac too. Not everytime, but when i am using this T420 in very hot environments... ...i do get scared, that i could ruin the machine - working at +100°C for hours and hours...

Any idea how to achieve that?

Cheers and thanks!!!!

PS.: i do know about this here: 

/* FAN control START */
                        If (LGreaterEqual (Local0, 0x55)) // CPU Temp is >= 85C
                        { Store (0x07, \_SB.PCI0.LPC.EC.HFSP) } // Set FAN Mode 7 - Maximum Speed 
                        Else {
                        If (LGreaterEqual (Local0, 0x50)) // CPU Temp is >= 80C
                        { Store (0x06, \_SB.PCI0.LPC.EC.HFSP) } // Set FAN Mode 6 
                        Else {
                        If (LGreaterEqual (Local0, 0x4B)) // CPU Temp is >= 75C
                        { Store (0x05, \_SB.PCI0.LPC.EC.HFSP) } // Set FAN Mode 5 
                        Else {
                        If (LGreaterEqual (Local0, 0x46)) // CPU Temp is >= 70C
                        { Store (0x04, \_SB.PCI0.LPC.EC.HFSP) } // Set FAN Mode 4 
                        Else {
                        If (LGreaterEqual (Local0, 0x41)) // CPU Temp is >= 65C
                        { Store (0x03, \_SB.PCI0.LPC.EC.HFSP) } // Set FAN Mode 3 
                        Else {
                        If (LGreaterEqual (Local0, 0x3C)) // CPU Temp is >= 60C
                        { Store (0x02, \_SB.PCI0.LPC.EC.HFSP) } // Set FAN Mode 2 
                        Else {
                        If (LGreaterEqual (Local0, 0x01)) // CPU Temp is >= 01C
                        { Store (0x01, \_SB.PCI0.LPC.EC.HFSP) } // Set FAN Mode 1 - Lowest Speed 
                        }
                        }
                        }
                        }
                        }
                        }
/* FAN control END */

But it seems that Fan Mode 7 is around 4500rpm. Wich is not the fastest it can go...

cheers

Hey, just a quick answer (+ question) to my last post. 

i did look at a acpi patch for controlling fan speed on linux and found out, that there are 2 more modes to 0-7. 

there is also mode 64 and mode 128. mode 64 is supposed to be "disengaged" mode, mode 128 is "auto" mode. 

if i try to use either one of them, nothing happens. 

so what i did is, open up my dsdt.dsl (former name dsdt.heat-step.dsl) in the efi/acpi folder with maciasl and swiched the line: 

{ Store (0x07, \_SB.PCI0.LPC.EC.HFSP) } // Set FAN Mode 7 - Maximum Speed 
                        Else {

to 

{ Store (0x40, \_SB.PCI0.LPC.EC.HFSP) } // Set FAN Mode 7 - Maximum Speed 
                        Else {

saved it as aml, rebooted but nothing happens (yes, i am using the acpi kext in /Lib/ext..... Is there any reason why i would not be able to engage this mode??

here are some links:

https://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=107512

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Patch_for_controlling_fan_speed

https://www.thinkwiki.org/w/index.php?title=Code/ibm-acpi-0.11-2.6.13-fan.patch&action=raw&ctype=application/octet-stream

Cheers and THANKS!!!

EDIT: I dont quite know what happened, i did some reboots and now it is working!?

the aml is looking like that now: 

/* FAN control START */
                        { Store (0x40, \_SB.PCI0.LPC.EC.HFSP) } // Set FAN Mode 7 - Maximum Speed 
                        Else {
                        If (LGreaterEqual (Local0, 0x50)) // CPU Temp is >= 80C
                        { Store (0x07, \_SB.PCI0.LPC.EC.HFSP) } // Set FAN Mode 6 
                        Else {
                        If (LGreaterEqual (Local0, 0x4B)) // CPU Temp is >= 75C
                        { Store (0x06, \_SB.PCI0.LPC.EC.HFSP) } // Set FAN Mode 5 
                        Else {
                        If (LGreaterEqual (Local0, 0x46)) // CPU Temp is >= 70C
                        { Store (0x05, \_SB.PCI0.LPC.EC.HFSP) } // Set FAN Mode 4 
                        Else {
                        If (LGreaterEqual (Local0, 0x41)) // CPU Temp is >= 65C
                        { Store (0x04, \_SB.PCI0.LPC.EC.HFSP) } // Set FAN Mode 3 
                        Else {
                        If (LGreaterEqual (Local0, 0x3C)) // CPU Temp is >= 60C
                        { Store (0x02, \_SB.PCI0.LPC.EC.HFSP) } // Set FAN Mode 2 
                        Else {
                        If (LGreaterEqual (Local0, 0x01)) // CPU Temp is >= 01C
                        { Store (0x01, \_SB.PCI0.LPC.EC.HFSP) } // Set FAN Mode 1 - Lowest Speed 
                        }
                        }
                        }
                        }
                        }
                        }
/* FAN control END */

Thanks!!!

Bildschirmfoto 2018-09-26 um 22.28.11.jpg

Edited by pcace

2 hours ago, bedfellow said:

For me, it just worked after using tlucks Lenovo-T420-Clover files whilst installing macOS.

Yes, got the same files... but no response from Play/Pause/Stop keys. Also I have brightness on the ScrLk and Pause keys...

How can I reset the files? Install the kexts again?

@freddie

FN+arrows give me iTunes back/play/forward

install the lastest VoodooPS2Controller from the zip.

and if you replace the SSDT-T420-PS2K.aml with the SSDT-T420-PS2K-keys.aml

and these keys will do the same.

PrtScrn/ScrLck/Pause

2 hours ago, tluck said:

@freddie

FN+arrows give me iTunes back/play/forward

install the lastest VoodooPS2Controller from the zip.

and if you replace the SSDT-T420-PS2K.aml with the SSDT-T420-PS2K-keys.aml

and these keys will do the same.

PrtScrn/ScrLck/Pause

thanks tluck, I have re-installed VoodoPS2Controller.kext with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], but still nothing. do I have to set something in the config.plist? (sorry for the noob questions)

6 minutes ago, tluck said:

1.1 Overview and Downloads

https://github.com/tluck/Lenovo-T420-Clover/releases/latest

Sorry tluck, I've expressed myself wrongly.

I have followed your guide to install hackintosh on my T420s, but I don't know how to install/configure these DSDTs or SSDTs you are talking about... I see the ones for the keyboard on my EFI folder, but I'm not sure if they are wel configured or installed. Do I have to use Clover Configurator?

@freddie 

the ACPI files are in the EFI/CLOVER/ACPI folders 

clover reads ACPI/patched/DSDT.aml and SSDT*aml

the SSDT updates/sets a variety of values for the keyboard and TrackPad - so you dont have to edit the kext.

and there is a newer SSDT (in ACPI not ACPI.t420s) to remap keys to make it more like a real mac - called SSDT-PS2K-T420-keys.aml (and the source .dsl) file

these ACPI files have 2 identifiers - LENOVO and T420 to match the DSDT/SSDT and the properties in VoodooPS2Controller.kext.

Note: i dont know if the keyboard is different on a T420s vs T420. and it would help if you listed your system in your signature. i dont have a t420s so i dont update the ACPI.t420s files. but they are somewhat consistent.

Hi @tluck

Thank you very much for your efforts

I have E560 and I found this topic

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/stable-lenovo-e560-full-work.248842/

The guy use your T460 file to make E560 working

I have the same E560 but I have a different CPU and I don't know if I should do any changes to his files?

And I should I make my own files like DSDT and SSDT and config.plist and do the patchs?

if so how to do that?

I am sorry to ask you about another laptop but I will be very grateful if you could help me

Edited by Web Developer

29 minutes ago, tluck said:

@freddie 

the ACPI files are in the EFI/CLOVER/ACPI folders 

clover reads ACPI/patched/DSDT.aml and SSDT*aml

the SSDT updates/sets a variety of values for the keyboard and TrackPad - so you dont have to edit the kext.

and there is a newer SSDT (in ACPI not ACPI.t420s) to remap keys to make it more like a real mac - called SSDT-PS2K-T420-keys.aml (and the source .dsl) file

these ACPI files have 2 identifiers - LENOVO and T420 to match the DSDT/SSDT and the properties in VoodooPS2Controller.kext.

Note: i dont know if the keyboard is different on a T420s vs T420. and it would help if you listed your system in your signature. i dont have a t420s so i dont update the ACPI.t420s files. but they are somewhat consistent.

Thanks tluck!

Well, I tried the different SSDTs but none of them made the Play/Pause work.

I've used Karabiner-EventViewer to see what happens when I press these keys, and there's no event being recorded... don't know what to do :( Is there a way to remap these keys?

1 hour ago, freddie said:

Thanks tluck!

Well, I tried the different SSDTs but none of them made the Play/Pause work.

I've used Karabiner-EventViewer to see what happens when I press these keys, and there's no event being recorded... don't know what to do :( Is there a way to remap these keys?

Are you sure that this key isn't broken on your keyboard? Strange that certain special functions work but not this one.

11 minutes ago, bedfellow said:

Are you sure that this key isn't broken on your keyboard? Strange that certain special functions work but not this one.

Well, the "Up" and "Down" keys work and the "Fn" also... it's just the combination of the Fn+Up/Down that does not work.