Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

On 5/16/2018 at 1:06 AM, zarere said:

1.Is there an option to create bootable flash without using mac computer?

2.If i do not need wifi connection do i need to use modded bios?

3.What is the preffered bios version that  I can use on my laptop since for t420 I see version  from 1.46 and above but what about W520?

@zarere

1) there is a tool to create a bootable flash - see rufus  IIRC runs on windows.

2/3) the modded bios is really about removing whitelist for WIFI chip - no idea about W520.

thanks for last pack tluck :)

did someone test this : clover-genconfig is able to produce all your injection keys used at last successful boot including automatic properties when inject=YES. But not including _DSM methods.?

15 hours ago, tluck said:

@zarere

1) there is a tool to create a bootable flash - see rufus  IIRC runs on windows.

2/3) the modded bios is really about removing whitelist for WIFI chip - no idea about W520.

Great,thank you very much tluck.

On 6/13/2018 at 5:22 PM, murad12s said:

I have installed the mac perfectly.

But after trying to boot from SSD, I see the following screen.

@tluck could you please help?

I have the exact same output on a T420 trying to boot the 10.13.5 installer. Already tried to remove FakeSMC' plugins in the subfolder but no luck...

Any advice? Thanks

According to macrumors.com there is a way to run Mojave on HD3000:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macos-10-14-mojave-on-unsupported-macs-thread.2121473/page-36#post-26177370

13 hours ago, Somez said:

Hey guys!

It seems my random freezes are back :(

Have you been able to solve it? I moved to the latest package and to 10.13.5, freezes remain.

Thank you.

I’m still on Sierra with no freezes at all. Just running smooth!

On 6/13/2018 at 8:22 AM, murad12s said:

I have installed the mac perfectly.

But after trying to boot from SSD, I see the following screen.

@tluck could you please help?

IMG_4423.JPG

I used the 1600x900 alt .kext. You can re-load your other kexts to solve your problem by the by. Kext Utility is your friend!

Edited by SabithaSuki

Hi guys, I need help!

I tried fresh installing 10.13.5 on my T420 with tluck's Lenovo-T420-Clover-2018.06.04 pack.  Booting from the USB get stuck at this screenshot attached below.  I tried a few things and figured out that if the patched/dsdt.aml is removed, then it loads fine.  So I went ahead and installed 10.13.5.  Now I have the same problem with booting from the SSD.  It gets stuck with the patched\dsdt.aml and boots to MacOS without it.  Same problem with dsdt.edid-hs.aml. I have attached my ACPI/original folder here if you could help.

I installed AppleHDA_20672.kext to S/L/E but sound doesn't work.

Lenovo T420 i5 8GB 128G SSD Intel HD3000 1600x900

Thanks!

origin.zip

IMG_2762.jpg

@jgn123 hmm odd that to be a problem with DSDT since you seem to have the same base DSDT as me. 1.46.  i dont know why it doesnt work with an SSD? my system has one?

Edited by tluck

Hi tluck,

I've read somewhere that disabling ALPM in the BIOS (Aggressive Link Power Management) could solve the freezing issues so I'm testing that now. However that topic also said we should try disabling trim with the command trimforce disable. I disabled the TRIM but now I want to turn it back. However I'm not sure whether it's disabled or enabled by default for the T420. Before disabling I tried trimforce help hoping it will tell me the current status (enabled/disabled) but it did not. So I'm not sure whether TRIM must be enabled using this command or not.

Thank you.

Well, this is interesting. The freezes have not gone util I removed my HDD which was sitting in the optibay caddy. Now the system is running on purely SSD and no freezes so far. The problem is, I need that HDD :)

I'm going to be testing this further with SSD only and will report back.

5 hours ago, Somez said:

Well, this is interesting. The freezes have not gone util I removed my HDD which was sitting in the optibay caddy. Now the system is running on purely SSD and no freezes so far. The problem is, I need that HDD :)

I'm going to be testing this further with SSD only and will report back.

Update: Still getting freezes. The only way prevent freezing is when I stop at the logon screen and don't login. So I now need to figure out the reason behind.

On 6/24/2018 at 10:36 AM, Sherlocks said:

yes. i already use mojave beta2 with HD3000

나의 LG-F800S 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

@Sherlockscool! it seem like the "trick' is to use the High Sierra Gfx kexts? is there more to it than that? that sounds easy to do! any other tips?

Update:

so i tried Mojave with my T420 and it is working. i copied the all HD3000 and SNB kexts, bundles and plugins over from High Sierrra. i had to copy the Atheros kext to get WiFi working. at first copied the HD3000 to /Library/Extensions and i wasnt getting full 3D graphics - so then copied everything to /S/L/E and then full GFX!!!

Pretty much all I had to do was update Lilu and AppleALC to the latest revs then added 3 boot args: -no_compat_check -lilubetaall -alcbeta

Edited by tluck
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/8/2018 at 4:28 AM, tluck said:

@Sherlockscool! it seem like the "trick' is to use the High Sierra Gfx kexts? is there more to it than that? that sounds easy to do! any other tips?

Update:

so i tried Mojave with my T420 and it is working. i copied the all HD3000 and SNB kexts, bundles and plugins over from High Sierrra. i had to copy the Atheros kext to get WiFi working. at first copied the HD3000 to /Library/Extensions and i wasnt getting full 3D graphics - so then copied everything to /S/L/E and then full GFX!!!

Pretty much all I had to was update Lilu and AppleALC the latest revs then added 3 boot args: -no_compat_checkd -lilubetaall -alcbeta

sorry for late reply. good :)

so i switched to model MBP9,1 instead of MBP8,1 and now its acts like a supported Mac. I was able to download Mojave from the App Store directly Been running mojave on my T420 and my real MBP for a few days now and its pretty solid. 

Note: if i boot with MBP9,1 I get random panics related to USB. MBP8,1 works but is not a *supported* platform. 

I just reposted the latest release on github...

that may help with Audio support for Mojave (and High Sierra) .. Older releases will remain for Sierra etc.

Edited by tluck