Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

Hi,

This is my first post to this forum. I have a Lenovo T420 with i5 and HD3000 1366x768 screen.

I need to run Snow Leopard as I have some Pro Apps that do not work properly in Mountain Lion and later.

I've managed to boot of [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Legacy CD and installed Snow Leopard on the slim expander HD.

I can't get it to boot off the slim expander HD but can boot off the legacy [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] CD ( which is connected via USB ).

It would be nice to boot off the HD but I could live with booting off the CD. I ran the post install bits but it still doesn't boot of HD.

My main problem is the display. Its only 1024 x 768. Is they a way to get Snow Leopard to work at 1366x768 and also is it possible

to get the external video port at the side to work as well with Snow Leopard.

Thanks.

On 2/26/2018 at 2:54 AM, bleuiko said:

I'm trying to get my T420 running Higher Sierra stable but after being logged in for about 20 minutes (and usually when I'm not actively doing anything), the OS would lock up but my mouse would still be usable; I wouldn't be able to click on anything though. It sometimes turned into the spinning beach ball but would otherwise be non-functional.

Anyone else run into a similar issue? I'm not sure how to log the crash if this is indeed a crash but I can post logs if someone could tell me how to record it. Any suggestions?

I have encounter the same issues a few times.

Edited by HunterK

7 hours ago, tluck said:

@ASROCK_IIfxThe first OS I put on the T420 was Mountain Lion 10.8. Are there AppleIntelH3000Graphics kexts/drivers in snow leopard? Otherwise you will left wih using the basic video driver for the VESA sizes.

Yes, I have 10.6.8 running on an Apple iMac early 2006 and can see IntelHD kexts in its /S/L/E. 10.6.8 introduced HD3000 capability.

However I just can't get 10.6.8 working on my T420. 10.6.3 installs fine and then I upgrade to using 10.6.8 combo and it won't  boot.

10.11.6 is running fine on my T420 but would love to be able to run Snow Leopard with Intel video.

25 minutes ago, ASROCK_IIfx said:

Yes, I have 10.6.8 running on an Apple iMac early 2006 and can see IntelHD kexts in its /S/L/E. 10.6.8 introduced HD3000 capability.

However I just can't get 10.6.8 working on my T420. 10.6.3 installs fine and then I upgrade to using 10.6.8 combo and it won't  boot.

10.11.6 is running fine on my T420 but would love to be able to run Snow Leopard with Intel video.

Try MacBook Pro 8.1 or 8.2 also Inject Intel

did you have this patch DSDT ?

https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch/blob/master/graphics/graphics_HD3K_low.txt

Just now, ASROCK_IIfx said:

Thanks Chris,

How do I set Pro 8.1. I don't have that patch. How do I add it ?

Create a MacBook Pro 8.2  SMBIOS with Clover configurator 

and patch DSDT with MacIasl

• Thanks 1

Hi, the Patch Framebuffer Levels and Replace 4th port with VGA in config.plist work, but it only work when I plug vga on start up or before wake up from sleep. But when I hot plug it when os is still running, the patch does not work and the vga doesn't receive signal

On 3/16/2018 at 10:53 PM, SuperReaper said:

Hi, the Patch Framebuffer Levels and Replace 4th port with VGA in config.plist work, but it only work when I plug vga on start up or before wake up from sleep. But when I hot plug it when os is still running, the patch does not work and the vga doesn't receive signal

this is expected since VGA is not an active signal. 

• Like 1

On 3/16/2018 at 11:36 PM, chris1111 said:

Create a MacBook Pro 8.2  SMBIOS with Clover configurator 

and patch DSDT with MacIasl

Neither of these ran in Snow Leopard.

Do I need to run them on an up to date Mac ?

part way through the 10.6.8 update the system panicked. On reboot I get the following screens.

Any ideas ?

part1.jpg

2018-03-18-1492.jpg

2018-03-18-1491.jpg

2018-03-18-1490.jpg

hmm. seems like you are using Chameleon? i see references to loading of config and kexts from /Extra ???

otherwise, maybe you could copy the already installed snow leopard from your real mac to a HD partition for your T420 system?

• Like 1

Hi tluck,

I'm going to try a different tack. First of all my current drive that has El Capitan on is only a 64Gig SSD which works fine but I have a spare 250 Gig spinning disk and have partitioned that in to two halves. I want to put El Capitan on one half and get that up and running. El Capitan has been running fine so I will use that again. Thing is Insanelymac seems to have changed over the last week or so and I can't find your original pages for putting El Cap on to a T420. Your latter posts refer to packages that are for Sierra or High Sierra. Please could you point me to the post for El Cap on T420 as I can't seem to find it. Once I've got El Cap running on the larger drive I might try and put Snow Leopard on the other half. My T420 is i5 and HD3000 1366x768 , also has broadband 3G module. Not sure if I'd ever get that working under OSX.

Thanks.

El Cap zip https://www.insanelymac.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=240230

Sierra works quite well too. (current zip supports it). High Sierra is doing great on one of  my T420 systems - the one that has an LG display vs not-very-good-at-all AUO display. 

Edited by tluck
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tluck said:

El Cap zip https://www.insanelymac.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=240230

Sierra works quite well too. (current zip supports it). High Sierra is doing great on one of  my T420 systems - the one that has an LG display vs not-very-good-at-all AUO display. 

Thanks for the zip.

Please could you direct me to the instructions page as I can no longer find it.

My old bookmarks go up to page 201 for this topic but now it only seems to have 162 pages since insanelymac

changed a week or so ago :-(

On 2/26/2018 at 4:48 AM, bleuiko said:

@Somez: Booting into safe mode is pretty easy so I would suggest trying that before the clean install; however, a clean install is often a good idea if I've learned anything from my Windows days. Here is the article that gave me the safe mode suggestion: http://brettterpstra.com/2017/10/20/have-you-tried-rebooting/

For what it is worth, my freeze problems have seem to disappear after trying safe mode. Fingers crossed!

Ok, I have tried booting in safe mode (at the bootscreen press spacebar and select safe mode and boot it that way) then reboot it to normal mode and it seems to be working well, it is been 4 days without random freezes so far.

After booting once in safe mode and after that rebooting seemed to do the trick.

I will report again if it is stable or if it freezes again.