Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

I don't think anyone ever got the cardreader working.

Anyway, I posted a new zip bundle on Git Hub today - the big change is for the BT KP issue in High Sierra during sleep/wake.

This is a workaround. The scripts shuts down BT before wake and turns it back on after wake (if it was on before sleep). These same scripts also turn off Wifi and Ethernet before sleeping too. Upon wake, the script checks to see if ethernet, wifi, BT were on before Sleep/Wake and then re-enables each interface that was on before sleep.  The clover scripts do the same thing essentially - but handle this for login/logout (or restart via GUI) via LoginHook and LogoutHook. 

To install, go to Utility folder and run these commands

./install_tools.command
./install_sleepwatcher.command
./install_clover_scripts.command

2017-October-15

• Updated to Clover r4247
  • Updated Lilu and AppleALC kexts to v1.2.1 (for both Sierra and High Sierra)
  • Updated ACPIBatteryManager kext
  • Updated FakeSMC kext
  • Revised Utility Install Scripts for Sleepwatcher and Clover scripts to deal with BT in High Sierra
  • Like 1

:thumbsup_anim:  Yet another Thanks!!

...and another question: is there any reason, that OSX shuts down the computer even if there is 7 to 10% Battery left? Is there any way to calibrate or reconfigure the shutdown battery percentage?

Cheers and keep up the great work!

Thanks a lot tluck for the new bundle

1. I've upgraded to HS on my 2nd HD (external hd) .

(start from no kext in /L/E nor in /S/L/E before upgrade sierra was able to boot like that)) so kexts are injected in config.plist

my t420 boot (clover GUI then apple with bar) but never ends :(

may be kexts must be set in /L/E

2. I've upgraded to last bundle (in /Efi not in /L/E)

but nothing better

i'll try to set kext in /L/E tonight

Hi All, I have just upgrade the Clover/EFI with latest packages. Something is still not right with the 10.13 macOS. 10.12.6 was just running perfectly fine. Now I lost conidence.

I still do get some graphical issues, especially when opening system preferences or playing flash videos, I do see occasionally horizontal lines. I don't use much BT so the sleep/wake works with it disabled.

@jus12  - what is your system and LCD size?

I seem to remember seeing some gfx artifacts in the High Sierra Beta. And I just noticed I must have switched to using a configuration that does NOT inject the GFX by Clover (inject set to false) - since the HD 3000 gfx is defined in the DSDT. I am also using the DSDT version that has an alternate EDID. Maybe you see if this helps? I attached the config.plist files with these changes.

config_no_gfx_inject.zip

• Like 1

Tried the latest 20171015 release.

1) blueutil not included, found it here: http://www.frederikseiffert.de/blueutil/, hope it to be included in future releases(if no better way:p)

It did fix my sleep problem(but lid sleep seems not working?), thanks!!

2) I think 'cp' in the install scripts should be 'cp -R' because 'cp' follows symbol links by default(it works though)

3) AirDrop not working, did't check it in previous releases. Does this feature require specific model of Wifi card?

4) Some graphical glitches sometimes. Does it relate to video bios upgrade I did days ago?

Thanks again.

Tried the latest 20171015 release.

1) blueutil not included, found it here: http://www.frederikseiffert.de/blueutil/, hope it to be included in future releases(if no better way:p)

It did fix my sleep problem(but lid sleep seems not working?), thanks!!

2) I think 'cp' in the install scripts should be 'cp -R' because 'cp' follows symbol links by default(it works though)

3) AirDrop not working, did't check it in previous releases. Does this feature require specific model of Wifi card?

4) Some graphical glitches sometimes. Does it relate to video bios upgrade I did days ago?

1. sorry i will add blueutil to the zip

2. cp -R - not sure what was missing?

3. Airdrops works for me with Atheros - on my newer Mac i have to connect in Legacy Mode - Click on "Don't see who you're looking for?"  - which brings up "Search for an Older Mac" button - and then i see the T420

4. i dont think its a bios problem. could be an EDID issue?

• Like 1

1. sorry i will add blueutil to the zip

2. cp -R - not sure what was missing?

3. Airdrops works for me with Atheros - on my newer Mac i have to connect in Legacy Mode - Click on "Don't see who you're looking for?"  - which brings up "Search for an Older Mac" button - and then i see the T420

4. i dont think its a bios problem. could be an EDID issue?

1, Thanks.

2, cp copies the actual file instead of the symbol link which is just a "shortcut" to actual file.

ps. seems a typo in install_clover_scripts.command, '$patched'.

3, I didn't get a Mac, I couldn't see the T420 either from iPhone or iPad.

4, I don't think it is a display problem. eg: as I edit previous post, every letter 'p' got glitches for quite a while.

Not big deals, I'm happy with current situation. Thanks again.

@jus12  - what is your system and LCD size?

I seem to remember seeing some gfx artifacts in the High Sierra Beta. And I just noticed I must have switched to using a configuration that does NOT inject the GFX by Clover (inject set to false) - since the HD 3000 gfx is defined in the DSDT. I am also using the DSDT version that has an alternate EDID. Maybe you see if this helps? I attached the config.plist files with these changes.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try to change the settings and will keep you posted with the results.

Hi Tluck, your suggestion looks very promising. So far no glitches. I have disabled the BT by default and enabling that only on demand. So the system seems to work nicely. I'm predominantly using my W520 with NVidia enabled as it has i7 processor and more graphical power but only that doesn't work on 10.13 yet. So stuck there on 10.12.6.

Edited by jus12

Hey there, 

just another question from me... 

..is it possible to get a raid0 as as the boot volume in the T420? (One internal, one SSD in the ultrabay Slot?) 

What would i have to do in order to get it to work?

Cheers,

Pcace

Hello everyone,

I succefully install Macos High Sierra on my lenovo t420.. But now i have just few probleme, i cannot shutdown the PC (i tried FixshutDown but nothing append), i cannot awake my pc from hibernation and my fans are stuck to 3200 rpm even if my cpu temp are on 40°..

Thanks a lot for your help..

Hello everyone,

I succefully install Macos High Sierra on my 2nd HD :)

already known issue :

- extra HD on bay : KO

- Ethernet interface sometime no there anymore temp solution pref panes, network sélect ethernet and re-active it)

thanks again tluck :)

Hi guys, thanks for the Trouble and the posting! Real Great Job! 

I had the Sierra up and running from last year perfectly on my T420 - 1600x900 - untile a few days, it hang it self because of my cheap SSD.

Now i bought a new one, and as it is i now downloaded the installer for the High Sierra. 

My problem: It loads Cloover, and starts loading the apple logo with the white bar. And... Makes it full, and just a blank black screen. If i press space or enter, my usb stick is reading data... I think its something with the graphic arugumet within the loading.

I used the latest 2017.10.18 to move and copy the efi folder, and made the 1600x900.plist. 

Also i have a Heckingtosh "MacPro" that is running on Sierra. (So i can help my self)

BR

DJ

EDIT: -- I now dowloaded the Sierra installer, and made an sierra installer. Still the same black screen. With the 2017.10.18 pack. - The loading is finished DSMOS is arrived and then a blank screen. As i try to push enter or space the usb is blinkig thaht he does read/write something. 

BIOS version is 1.46 nothing changed. From the last year on the hardware, just the new SSD.

assuming you can get the bay drive to work you can easily build a raid. i ran into issues somewhere around Sierra 10.12.3? so i had to give up using the bay drive. i dont know what happened.

Hey, 

just a little confirmation: SoftwareRAID0 works out of the Box! 

(created softwareraid while installing, then the only postinstallation step was to copy the EFI folder to both (!) EFI partitions of the two RAID0 members...

But be aware that there is some seriouse issues when updating to High Sierra since it seems that apple forgot the support for afps+raid0 (https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/78908)

Thanks again for everything!

PS.: USB3.0 fixed itself after the reinstall by just copying the newest generic USB3 driver (https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-generic-usb3/downloads/) to /Library/Extentions (see speedtest in the attachment)

Cheers

post-302268-0-48773900-1508696126_thumb.png

post-302268-0-44771600-1508696134_thumb.png

post-302268-0-48505800-1508696142_thumb.png

• Like 2

Hey, 

just a little confirmation: SoftwareRAID0 works out of the Box! 

(created softwareraid while installing, then the only postinstallation step was to copy the EFI folder to both (!) EFI partitions of the two RAID0 members...

But be aware that there is some seriouse issues when updating to High Sierra since it seems that apple forgot the support for afps+raid0 (https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/78908)

Thanks again for everything!

PS.: USB3.0 fixed itself after the reinstall by just copying the newest generic USB3 driver (https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-generic-usb3/downloads/) to /Library/Extentions (see speedtest in the attachment)

Cheers

ok,

it seems that i have been happy to early ;( since i did a complete reinstall i havent updated to 10.12.6 when i did the last posting (it was still on 10.12.5). So now i did update osx and: i cannot boot the machine completely - or better: I dont get to the loginscreen. Everything fires up fine, but then at the second i normally would get the login i just get a black screen. Sh**. So what now? I am using the T420 without a Nvidia. 

What can i do to fix that? I already tried to use the Stock boot.plist from the provided donwload, same reaction. 

Any Help would be just amazing!!!

Hello,

I am despairing. I have a lenovo T420 with HD3000 LED (1600x900).
I have installed Sierra with the latest zip bundle from GitHub

I installed Sierra with the wrong screen resolution. Complicated but it has worked.

But now i installed clover on my HD and it is not possibel for me to get the graphics card working.
The screen is to big.

248ebd-1508774843.jpg

I read something about DSDT, EDIT and Dual Link and tested something. But it does not work.

And i also don't understand why it is not working out of the box?

It is a standard T420 with HD3000 graphics card and a screen resolution with 1600x900. That's 90% of the users.

Can someone help me please? Maybe someone can give me his EFI to test.

Witjojo

Sorry - seems like messed up the gfx with the current clover logic etc. I just posted a new config.

to recover you can use the clover option to turn on GFX injection.

Anyway, i just reposted the zip with GFX Injection back on by default.

If you have glitches, then using an alternate approach may eliminate them

The steps to use the alternate configuration is:

• copy a DSDT (like dstd.edit.aml or dsdt.dsdt-hs.aml) into EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder) that includes the DualLink and custom EDID info
  • then turn off inject GFX in the config.plist 

by the way, i am testing out just using Clover to inject kexts vs putting on the HD in /Library/Extensions

It can be so easy. Now I read this:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- is your screen 1600x900? if so try this

mount ESP

cd /Volumes/ESP/EFI/Clover/

1) edit config.plist - change Inject Intel true to Inject Intel false

<key>Inject</key>
                <dict>
                        <key>Intel</key>
                        <false/>
                </dict>

2) cd ACPI

cp dsdt.edid.aml patched/dsdt.aml

reboot

----------------------------------------------------------------------

This workes now perfekt for me.

Nevertheless thanks @tluck

Witjojo

• Like 1

I'm trying to update El-Capitan 10.11.6 to High Sierra. Here are the steps I taken.

1) App Store was giving me a 19 mb file and I had to download the full installer with a utility called "macOS High Sierra Patcher". (Downloaded and copied into /Applications).

2) Downloaded the latest clover source files zip from git in the given link. (Release v2017.10.23 on GitHub)

3) Mounted my EFI using Clover configurator and took a backup of EFI folder

4) Replaced the EFI folder with the downloaded and extracted EFI folder

5) Reverted my config.plist from backup

6) Followed Part 2 section 4 - 8 from this guide (Optional installing kexts)

Run the High Sierra installer from the /Applications Folder, restarted and chosen the first two clover options one by one but nothing got me to High Sierra installation.

a ) The first option loads the existing OSX El-Capitan

b ) The second option shows an error sign and computer stops there.

Where am I making the mistake?

@Tough Guy - you need to download the full High Sierra installation which is like 5GB. the patcher seems to be to for unsupported models. so does not apply here.

Thanks for the reply. I was suspecting the High Sierra download as it is probably modified to avoid the AFPS check. The only thing which was giving me confidence was it was 5.18 GB. I'll try to download the High Sierra on my iMac and will use it instead.

Thanks again for your time.

@Tough Guy - you need to download the full High Sierra installation which is like 5GB. the patcher seems to be to for unsupported models. so does not apply here.

Since my iMac is mistakenly updated to High Sierra without taking any backup of the installer, I don't have a choice except to give the 19.9 MB installer another try. (Currently downloading)

I forgot to mention that I clean installed one spare T420 with this patcher installer. I was suspecting that maybe the apfs.efi driver is causing the trouble for this patcher installer for the update process.

I'll update with 19.9 mb installer and if it didn't work, removing the apfs.efi driver and give the patcher installer another try.

well. FYI you can (re-) download the High Sierra Installer from your iMac after the install (which does deletes it to save space!) .... or you should be able do the same thing on your T420 on El Capitan... just run the AppStore there?