Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

Right, so what I'm wondering is what changes after you reboot/shutdown the machine. Something must "revert" back to make you have to unplug/plug the USB device in multiple times before things start working.

Now is this the same for a USB2 device in the UBS3 port? Also what about plugging in USB2 into a USB2 port, does it also take a few unplug/plug back in for the decide to be recognized?

It affects USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 devices. But I don't know if it affects them in the same way.

Reading the Thread about Making NEC USB 3.0 Card Fully Comportable with Original MAC Drivers, I think it's a USB controller Vendor/Device ID issue.

W520 has 2 USB 3.0 ports, and I alternate plug/unplug with them. You can try it and get back with results for your T420s with only one USB 3.0 port.

I was able to get my T420 with the Nvidia NVS 4200m fully working on El Capitan 10.11.6, using Mac Pro 3,1 SMBIOS and injecting NVIDIA with clover. But I can not install Sierra. MacPro3,1 platform not supported (is there any way to bypass this?). MacBookPro 8,2 or 10,1 do not work...

If you want to install El Capitan, just use attached config.plist matching your resolution and replace tlucks files with them.

Bios display settings must be set to discrete and disable OS detection.

Brightness control is not working (no DSDT patch). Just use Shady: http://instinctivecode.com/shady/

EDIT : Tried Nvidia CUDA and WebDriver. Webdriver causes a KP, CUDA driver working.

EDIT-2 : Tried to remove nvda_drv=1 from nvram boot flags, removing official kexts, renaming web driver kext to match official names, removing nvidia stuff from /L/PreferencePanes, installing only WebDriver... I assume Webdriver is a no go with this config. With official kexts and Nvidia CUDA driver everything seems to work fine. So, don't install WebDriver unless you can try something else to get a solution.

CUDA driver

http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-cuda-8.0.46-driver.html

WebDriver

Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.15f01

@POWerSUrgeSW3 @tluck

I have W520 working USB3 ports installing RehabMan's GenericUSBXHCI (attached) with kext wizard. I only need to reinsert USB device twice or three times (alternating ports with 2 sec. delay) to get it always working until reboot.

Maybe this solution works with T420s too.

Will this work with OS Sierra without the Web Driver?

Thanks

Will this work with OS Sierra without the Web Driver?

Thanks

As I wrote, I need to use a MacPro 3,1 SMBIOS. I was unable to install macOS Sierra because MacPro 3,1 is not a supported platform. I don't know if this can be bypass or not.

EDIT: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/312659-guide-unsupported-real-macpro-works-with-sierra-example-of-real-macpro31/

Will this work?. I'll try it.

• Like 1

Thank you.

They talk about add-on cards.

Is it safe flashing the internal NEC/renesas chip?.

Don't need to flash the NEC, just using the mXHCD.kext.zip to replace the  GenericUSBXHCI.kext.

It can be work fine.

The stock Oyen Digital usb3 driver(mXHCD.kext) have check the vendor ID.

You can edit the info.plist to bypass the check or using my file link.

Because I don't know how to attach file, so just post the file link.

The mXHCD.kext.zip is bypass the check Vendor ID.

Because I am using this kext to my X220 with 54mm express card Asmedia usb3.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the guide it worked great! I have 3 questions.

1. The screen flashes every time an error sound plays how do I fix this? (I already checked accessibility) 

2. Audio isn't working (built in and 3.5 jack)

3. Battery seems to discharge relatively fast, is there some speedstep config needed or??

Thanks so much for the guide it worked great! I have 3 questions.

1. The screen flashes every time an error sound plays how do I fix this? (I already checked accessibility) 

2. Audio isn't working (built in and 3.5 jack)

3. Battery seems to discharge relatively fast, is there some speedstep config needed or??

1) That is an accessibility setting I'm pretty sure. SYSTEM PREFERENCES --> ACCESSIBILITY -->> Scroll down to Hearing/Audio... there is a check box to flash the screen when a sound event occurs.

2) Not sure why yours is not working. Have you make sure to press the UP buttons on the physical keyboard? Also that the sound output inside of the SYSTEM PREFERENCES is also turned up? I only had the headphones from my Samsung Galaxy S7 phone to test with, and they worked fine. Though they are a headphone mic in a single plug, not that it should matter.

3) I can't say I've had a TON of time running on the battery, as I am still waiting to get my WiFi adapter cables to make my Mackintosh fully functional. But for example while writing this I've been using my computer on battery and I've lost about 5% in 30ish-45ish minutes, with the display on the whole time. That's with the single internal battery in the computer, and computer booting up at around a 3rd battery power to start with.

Though I had Bluetooth on, because when I'm at work I have Ethernet plugged in at my desktop along with power, so I run my computer off AC an have the Bluetooth turned on for external mouse. When I turned Bluetooth off though, and also adjusted the monitor to shut off at 5 minutes when on battery, battery life seemed to be a bit better.

Still I agree it's nothing like on the Windows side. Though I don't think it's a stepping issue, because my fan isn't blowing at all and the computer doesn't feel warm like the cores are running all the time. Or maybe they are and maybe they are just on without crunching numbers, so the computer is not warming up?

Side note... like the username there! Googlesrch for Google Search.... ah good one!

@googlesrch

- what is your system?

- what OS did you install? hard to understand how you could be missing a standard macOS kext AppleHDA.kext and Yes it is an issue - kinda necessary for audio.

- did you follow the post-install steps in the Guide in this thread?

I don't have the applehda kext is that an issue?

Does your regular audio work through your speakers? If you don't have that, I would think it might be a problem... that is related to your High Def Audio if I'm not mistaken.

And as for the 3.5mm jack, maybe this is the situation. I actually just found an OLD OLD OLD pair of headphones that were just headphones. When I first plugged them in I had no audio through them, unplugged and plugged back in (thinking back to the USB3 discussion from earlier) and then they worked. It's weird, my headphones + mic new ones work with just plugging in, the others take an unplug and plug back in after I initially plug them in (hopefully that makes sense and isn't wordy).

When I Run the command I get this error: ln: /Library/Extensions/AppleHDA*/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA: No such file or directory

The Command runs fine but OS X keeps showing error: The system extension “/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA_20672.kext” was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product’s vendor for an update

When I Run the command I get this error: ln: /Library/Extensions/AppleHDA*/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA: No such file or directory

The Command runs fine but OS X keeps showing error: The system extension “/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA_20672.kext” was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product’s vendor for an update

Can you upload paste the terminal command lines running it?

./_kext-install.command /Volume/Macintosh\ HD

The target OS is: 10.12 (10.12.3)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Installing kexts in /Library/Extensions

---------------- ACPIBatteryManager.kext ----------------

---------------- ACPIPoller.kext ----------------

---------------- AppleBacklightInjector.kext ----------------

---------------- AppleHDA_20672.kext ----------------

---------------- BlueTooth_Injector_T420.kext ----------------

---------------- FakeSMC.kext ----------------

---------------- IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext ----------------

---------------- IntelMausiEthernet.kext ----------------

---------------- VoodooPS2Controller.kext ----------------

Looking for obsolete kext AppleIntelE1000e.kext

Looking for obsolete kext ACPIBacklight.kext

Looking for obsolete kext BroadcomBluetooth_T420.kext

Looking for obsolete HDA kexts

fixing symbolic link in /Library/Extensions/AppleHDA_20672.kext------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: Previous/old kexts are here: /Users/michaelparent/Downloads/T420-distribute/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/../kexts-orig

Sleeping for 30 seconds before rebuild of kext cache - wait … 

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext VoodooPS2Mouse.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext VoodooPS2Controller.kext

kext file:///Library/Extensions/IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext/ is in hash exception list, allowing to load

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext IntelMausiEthernet.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext CPUSensors.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext ACPISensors.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext FakeSMC.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext ACPIPoller.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext ACPIBatteryManager.kext

DirectHW.kext is in exclude list; omitting.

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67013 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA3B for kext AppleMobileDevice.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67061 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0B for kext AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext

@googlesrch 

is this a T420?

what does is the output from this?

ls -l /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/

curious about these:

DirectHW.kext is in exclude list; omitting.

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67061 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0B for kext AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext

i am wondering if is from App store - i.e. standard macOS or is this some other modified OS?

@tluck

the command gives this: ls: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/: No such file or directory

the install is from a MacBook Pro from App Store.

edit*I'm guessing I'm missing the applehda kext, should I do a reinstall? or is there an easy fix?*

As I wrote, I need to use a MacPro 3,1 SMBIOS. I was unable to install macOS Sierra because MacPro 3,1 is not a supported platform. I don't know if this can be bypass or not.

EDIT: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/312659-guide-unsupported-real-macpro-works-with-sierra-example-of-real-macpro31/

Will this work?. I'll try it.

Thanks. Feedback your outcome and any issues occurred.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

How do I reinstall Mac OS do I have to redo the usb stick?

Is your Laptop a T420? This guide/files are not for other brand nor model.

To reinstall securely, just to discard a wrong installation file, you must download again macOS installer from the apple store and redo the USB stick.

@googlesrch

is this system a T420?

did you clone the MacBook Pro?

how did you modify the AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext  and wondering why it is modified?

maybe you should download the OS again from the app store and just reinstall from the current system since it is mostly working  to get the missing kext installed.

Speaking of reinstall, I was thinking of popping another hard drive in and installing the OS again just to get a little bit better at this. While I was looking through the \T420-distribute\Utilities folder I noticed a universaltimefix.reg , which I do not see mentioned anywhere in this thread. Is this left over from creating the ZIP or something to that effect?

Also if I wanted to add the USB3 GenericUSBXHCI.kext to be installed during the load/installation process, can I just modify the kext-install.command and or post-install-network-reset.command to do that? Sorry if this is a noobish question, I'm still wrapping my head around the whole process and how everything is interacting (I've got Windows and Linux down, Mac is still a little fuzzy).

Don't need to flash the NEC, just using the mXHCD.kext.zip to replace the  GenericUSBXHCI.kext.

It can be work fine.

Thanks for sharing the kext file! I was able to manually install it and now have my USB3 port working. Not that I really care, but is your SDHC card reader work? My Express Card slot worked "out of the box" with an 8GB EC drive I have, but the SDHC card reader that fits in it does not (but works in Windows).

Thanks. Feedback your outcome and any issues occurred.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

No luck at first try.

I changed BIOS display settings to integrated and no OS detection.

Install Sierra, create user, etc.

Replace /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist with the attached one to bypass MacPro 3,1 check.

Replace config.plist on USB EFI partition with the one attached in #3346

Reboot.

Set BIOS to discrete with no OS detection.

Kernel Panic loading nvidia official.

I will try to load latest Sierra Nvidia WebDriver, then set to discrete...

It can be work fine.

Thank you, that's great.

You can attach files by clicking "More Reply Options" button.

PlatformSupport.plist.zip

No luck at first try.

I changed BIOS display settings to integrated and no OS detection.

Install Sierra, create user, etc.

Replace /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist with the attached one to bypass MacPro 3,1 check.

Replace config.plist on USB EFI partition with the one attached in #3346

Reboot.

Set BIOS to discrete with no OS detection.

Kernel Panic loading nvidia official.

I will try to load latest Sierra Nvidia WebDriver, then set to discrete...

Thank you, that's great.

You can attach files by clicking "More Reply Options" button.

Thank.

Attach file is the usb3 driver for NEC or AsMedia USB driver. 

It had edit the info.plist to bypass the driver check Vendor ID.

It can work on my T420s with NEC usb3 chip port and X220 with 54mm express card NEC or AsMedia USB3 chip.

I think the kext can work I7 X220 or T420 with NEC Chip.

You can try, if you want this USB3 port work.

Remember if you had genericUSBXHCI.kext on you L/E, it must remove.

mXHCD.kext.zip

• Like 3

While I was looking through the \T420-distribute\Utilities folder I noticed a universaltimefix.reg , which I do not see mentioned anywhere in this thread. Is this left over from creating the ZIP or something to that effect?

ha looks like i forgot to make a note in the guide. I added this file universaltimefix.reg to adjust the windows time/date to be consistent with macOS. so if you dual boot windows, merge this into your windows registry and then the time/date will stay consistent between OS and BIOS clocks.

• Like 3

Thank.

Attach file is the usb3 driver for NEC or AsMedia USB driver. 

It had edit the info.plist to bypass the driver check Vendor ID.

It can work on my T420s with NEC usb3 chip port and X220 with 54mm express card NEC or AsMedia USB3 chip.

I think the kext can work I7 X220 or T420 with NEC Chip.

You can try, if you want this USB3 port work.

Remember if you had genericUSBXHCI.kext on you L/E, it must remove.

attachicon.gifmXHCD.kext.zip

Wow! Thank you so much for this kext!!!  It worked like charm on my t420 with NEC UPD720202 USB 3.0 express card. Without any issues! 

Thanks for keeping this thread updated, comrades!

I ended up with a black screen after upgrading 10.12.4, but all is well again thanks to the new (17-03-10) T420 package.

Always have a bootable backup. ;) 

I could not find Clover r4037, but r4035 seems to do the job fine.

• Like 1