Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

so if anyone is looking for a new LCD replacement for 1600x900, I am very happy with this part:  LG LP140WD2 (TL)(G1) for $43 on eBay

- which is a glossy vs matte finish(TL)(D2). this LCD is very bright white vs (grayish) in comparison to the original LCD - even better than my 24" HP (sadly).

my 8yr son cracked his LCD and i decided to give him my original LCD and keep the new one for me! - very big difference.

• Like 2

@tluck

My Bluetooth is enabled in Bios.

During the Boot the Bluetooth-LED is enabled for a short period. With OS X it is disabled. The hardwarebutton is enabled.

I have no idea whats wrong here.

Thanks for the script creating the windows partition.

When I run the script I got the following output....:

Eddis-Mac2:Documents Eddi$ sudo bash part.sh disk0s4
mkfifo: /tmp/mypipe: File exists
gpt show: unable to open device 'disk0s4': Resource busy
last 0
Unmount of disk0 failed: at least one volume could not be unmounted
usage: gpt remove -a device ...
       gpt remove [-b lba] [-i index] [-s lba] [-t uuid] device ...
usage: gpt add [-b lba] [-i index] [-s lba] [-t uuid] device ...
usage: gpt label -a <-l label | -f file> device ...
       gpt label [-b lba] [-i index] [-s lba] [-t uuid] <-l label | -f file> device ...
      start       size  index  contents
          0  103366968         

Any thoughts?

I tried to create a FAT-volume with the diskutil-app and install Windows7 to it. (Format it to NTFS with the Windows installer) but I wasn't able to boot from it with clover...

thanks.

@denva - so the BT green/blue light icon/LED is ON/lit? and is on after to boot up OS X? you could try to toggle the switch on the right side.

even, without the custom BT kext, you should have BT.

well the input to the script is the whole disk name like disk0 - not disk0s4 (which is a partition)

if you create a fat or expat partition - diskutililty.app convert the PMBR to MBR - which is what you are trying to avoid.

@tluck,

thanks for the reply. The BT-led is on for a few seconds during boot. In OSX it is not lit. The hardwarebutton on the right side is also on. In the BIOS BT is also enabled.

It's a strange thing.

If I run your script with disk0 I do get the following output:

Eddis-Mac2:Documents Eddi$ sudo bash part.sh disk0
Password:
last 4 365232976 103366968 4
gpt remove: unable to open device 'disk0': Resource busy
gpt add: unable to open device 'disk0': Resource busy
gpt label: unable to open device 'disk0': Resource busy
      start       size  index  contents
          0          1         PMBR
          1          1         Pri GPT header
          2         32         Pri GPT table
         34          6         
         40     409600      1  GPT part - C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B
     409640  363553800      2  GPT part - 48465300-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC
  363963440    1269536      3  GPT part - 426F6F74-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC
  365232976  103366968      4  GPT part - 48465300-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC
  468599944     262151         
  468862095         32         Sec GPT table
  468862127          1         Sec GPT header
Eddis-Mac2:Documents Eddi$ 

@denva -

- well not sure about the BT thing. seem like it needs to be turned on still?

- sorry looks like this script doesn't work on the boot disk0 vs a 2nd disk (like disk1). if you have a USB OSX installer,

perhaps boot up the installer from the USB 

go to terminal mode and list out the disks (might be disk1 or something not /)

then run the script booted from the USB.

@R1kz - search this thread for gestures. the short answer is they are implemented in VoodooPS2Controller for 1,2,3 fingers with certain key mappings. The lenovo trackpad is not an apple (magic) trackpad so you can't have everything.

• Like 1

@R1kz - search this thread for gestures. the short answer is they are implemented in VoodooPS2Controller for 1,2,3 fingers with certain key mappings. The lenovo trackpad is not an apple (magic) trackpad so you can't have everything.

ok, thank you so much :D

so if anyone is looking for a new LCD replacement for 1600x900, I am very happy with this part:  LG LP140WD2 (TL)(G1) for $43 on eBay

- which is a glossy vs matte finish(TL)(D2). this LCD is very bright white vs (grayish) in comparison to the original LCD - even better than my 24" HP (sadly).

my 8yr son cracked his LCD and i decided to give him my original LCD and keep the new one for me! - very big difference.

I have ordered the same part number LCD panel and HD+ cable to upgrade my 1366x768 T420 on ebay . I hope this panel is as good as yours.

Thank you tluck.

Great guide and my T520 is still working flawlessly with the docked config on 10.11.4. Wanted to follow up to see if anyone was ever able to get the SD card working? No big loss if not.

@Tluck - your USB 3.0 4 port expresscard 34 seems to be discontinued on Amazon and not finding anything with the same Fresno 1100 chipset on eBay either. I maxed out all the doc and laptop USB's and probably need to add something else.

Hey guys!

I'm still amazed how good these instructions are. I can even play Blizzard's Heroes of the storm game on low graphics of course but with no problem.

What is the recommended solution for taking backups? I understand time machine will not be enough as I'll have to follow the installation instructions from the beginning and then restore my stuff from time machine.

Thanks.

@149113 -

USB 3 - i looked around and couldn't find any fresno logic usb3 cards. well i hope they make some more!

eSata works very well. 

SDcard reader - seems some have it working and some don't. I use a USB SD card reader since it never worked for me.

@somez -

i use 2 methods of backup. 

1) TimeMachine - for history 

and

2) CarbonCopyCloner - for faster recovery.

I put disk caddy in place of the DVD drive. and put my spinning disk HD in the caddy and then backup overnight with CCC from the main drive SSD. i also use the spinning disk for Windows 10 - which don't really ever use anymore - but it is there anyway not taking up SSD space!

Great guide and my T520 is still working flawlessly with the docked config on 10.11.4. Wanted to follow up to see if anyone was ever able to get the SD card working? No big loss if not.

@Tluck - your USB 3.0 4 port expresscard 34 seems to be discontinued on Amazon and not finding anything with the same Fresno 1100 chipset on eBay either. I maxed out all the doc and laptop USB's and probably need to add something else.

This also works, Fresno Logic chipset. But much more expensive.

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/usb3expresscard34.html

Ok, i think i got it. I have bought one just for spare. 13 euros.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/PCI-E-pcie-PCI-Express-Card-ExpressCard-34mm-to-5Gbps-usb3-0-USB-3-0-4/32653000516.html?ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_0,searchweb201602_3_10037_10017_10021_507_10022_10032_10020_10009_10008_10018_10019,searchweb201603_9&btsid=146fe21d-ff81-49d5-be07-ab700d19f268

@149113 -

USB 3 - i looked around and couldn't find any fresno logic usb3 cards. well i hope they make some more!

eSata works very well. 

SDcard reader - seems some have it working and some don't. I use a USB SD card reader since it never worked for me.

@somez -

i use 2 methods of backup. 

1) TimeMachine - for history 

and

2) CarbonCopyCloner - for faster recovery.

I put disk caddy in place of the DVD drive. and put my spinning disk HD in the caddy and then backup overnight with CCC from the main drive SSD. i also use the spinning disk for Windows 10 - which don't really ever use anymore - but it is there anyway not taking up SSD space!

Hey tluck!

I also have a 500 gig HDD in the caddy and want to use it for the same purpose. Thanks for the CCC tip, I will try it. So I assume if something goes wrong with my main SSD installation of OS X then I'll be able to boot up my system from the CCC'ed HDD without any extra manual work.

Hey tluck!

I also have a 500 gig HDD in the caddy and want to use it for the same purpose. Thanks for the CCC tip, I will try it. So I assume if something goes wrong with my main SSD installation of OS X then I'll be able to boot up my system from the CCC'ed HDD without any extra manual work.

Don´t forget to copy the EFI folder. CCC doesn´t do it.

149113 - No luck with the SD card reader unfortunately. I've attempted on more than one occasion to get it working and while I've managed to get it to read SD cards, it tends to either freeze the Finder when performing file transfers or corrupts the data so your best bet is a USB card reader honestly.

My config is pretty much maxing out the T520. I've got a 500GB SSD as the primary Win 7/64 dedicated drive. My backup data drive is a 2TB SATA drive in the DVD caddy that is formatted as NTFS and usable by both OSX/Win. The mSATA slot has my 256GB OSX drive. Everything works flawlessly.

@149113 -

eSata works very well. 

Looks like you scored a great deal on that card. I'll keep an eye out for another one on the used market.

Hello,

I'm thinking of updating to 10.11.5. I am still running 10.11.3. Can anyone tell me what I need to do from where I'm at so that I don't run into the problems everyone had with 10.11.4.

I really appreciate how helpful everyone is

Thanks

@emet

well - just re-install the latest zip/kexts before you upgrade to 10.11.4 or higher.  i.e. pretty much follow the post install install instructions in the guide. 

1) update your EFI folders with newer config.plist etc to avoid glitches etc.

2) kexts - the major item is the custom AppleHDA fix up - and depending on what package you had installed some other newer kexts etc.

Hi,

at first thanks to this amazing guid!

Withe this i have installed sucsessfully OSX 10.11.4 on my T420s with I7 modded Bios and compatibel WLAN card :)

I got Tribble UEFI Boot "Win10, OS X and Ubuntu" working wel with clover on one SSD

I hav renamed the "ACPI..t420s" folder to "ACPI" and used the 1600x900 config.plist

Followed This guid and everything works well only problem i have is:

When I put the shutdown button the maschie dose a reboot.

Dos anyone know how to fix that?

Everything els works fine exept Cardreader and Display Port (only works with NVIDIA chip)

But this stuff is not needet ;)

@niceguy82 - well the shutdown/reboot thing could be a USB3 issue? can you disable usb3 and test? i recall this chipset is renaisas/NEC ? i.e. not intel or fresno logic. right?

@niceguy82: Strange that you DP won´t play, I had a video (.TS) playing on my TV via a DP2HDMI cable without issues.

The Ricoh card reader is not working for me either, but I could pinch a compatible Transcend from one of my T60´s. :)

@all: Did anybody dare to venture the 10.11.5 upgrade Apple is offering for a few days now?

I would give it a go, but I don´t have a spare drive for a backup right now.