Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

Hi Rikz

Put your ICC profile to System/Library/ColorSync/Profiles.

Then used the screen/color. Select it.

Hi.

Im install a OSX with this guide, its awesome :D I have a question : i have a ICC profile (screen calibrated), how can i install and use it? the screen its blue!!

Nope, FullHD display will not work on T420. That's impossible without fullhd upgrade kit/converter, which also not functional for T420, from China guys from ebay, but seems they are dropped this idea also: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ThinkPad-T420s-T430s-FHD-1080p-upgrade-kit-beats-93P5685-1600x900-ips-LED-/231665072220?nma=true&si=G1vdLGRhLNFDUwPaSm22%252BKqWqeM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

1600x900 -- unfortunately, this is the maximum that you can have on T420.

Thank you gromalle.

it seems that if you have a DisplayOverride file for a matching display that contains color correction, etc OSX will extract and put the ICC file here:

/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays

i presume one could put an ICC file there directly. vs /System/Library - which would likely get overwritten on an OS install/update.

i manually re-calibrated my external HP monitor, and the custom icc file ended up in /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays

tluck@Toms-Mac /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays
$ ls -l
total 120
-rw-r--r--  1 tluck  wheel  13116 Mar 18  2015 HP ZR24w Calibrated.icc
-rw-r--r--  1 root   wheel   3280 Jan  1 14:45 HP ZR24w-AD753ABF-1C6A-8051-E7C0-F74713E3D71E.icc
-rw-r--r--  1 root   wheel   6328 Apr 19 08:09 Lenovo LCD-8436F946-476C-A979-9EEC-6F8BCBD9BCC3.icc

R1kz - I included a couple of DisplayOverrides files in the zip. you could use those as an example if you don't like the ones in the zip to fix monitor color etc. 

Hi Rikz

Put your ICC profile to System/Library/ColorSync/Profiles.

Then used the screen/color. Select it.

Hi, thanks for the help!!

Got my first full attempt at a desktop Hackintosh up and running recently and really pleased with the results.  Would like to try the same for my T530 - would this guide likely work?  Biggest hiccup I've encountered in the past attempts is the NVIDIA NVS 5400M.  Thanks in advance!

@dirtyMetis - i think there is a separate forum/thread for T430/530 that may point out any key differences. i looked at quite a while ago but do recall there was a lot in common. but yeah often the mixed gfx (switchable/optimus) can be challenge. 

• Like 1

Clover configuration files (config.plist

a ) config.plist                   - (default) to use the custom DSDT and WITH extra Clover patching

b ) config.nodsdt.plist    - this testing version - everything works except battery levels

- uses built-in/BIOS DSDT with Clover patching

In your explanation you are mentioning two config.plist, but in I did not see in the zip file you are providing.

Am I missing something?

I am interested in your config.nodsdt.plist....

Thanks,

Artimess

PS:By the way very nice job and very well organized  description of it.

Hi everyone, have a question about touchpad and mouse.

On System Prefereces : Mouse , i disable checkbox of "natural scrolling", but on touchpad same have configuration. I cant disable natural scroll for mouse and keep enabled for touchpad, both have the same properties.

Need a custom kext? problem of osx?

other : i have a external monitor with vga, so : to enable, i need to sleep the computer and bootup. why? i cant connect and show like linux/windows. and when i have a vga connected, i closed the lid laptop and cant go to sleep, need to click on apple logo : sleep. only works when vga its disabled.

@r1kz

hmm. for me there is a separate setting for mouse - check on: Scroll direction: natural

but i use magic mouse - and my usb mouse wheel seems to be controlled by this too.

and then separate setting for trackpad - check on : When using gestures to scroll or navigate, move in the direction of the finger movement

the trackpad works via VoodooPSController kexts.

Apple doesn't really support VGA so there is no auto-recognition of a VGA monitor. i plug in externals by DP (or DVI)  ... if you do not have digital ports on  on your monitor then a DP to VGA adaptor works really well for auto recognition. with dual displays, sleep doesn't just happen on lid close - by design.

Thanks, for the scroll i used a karabiner.

@r1kz

hmm. for me there is a separate setting for mouse - check on: Scroll direction: natural

but i use magic mouse - and my usb mouse wheel seems to be controlled by this too.

and then separate setting for trackpad - check on : When using gestures to scroll or navigate, move in the direction of the finger movement

the trackpad works via VoodooPSController kexts.

Apple doesn't really support VGA so there is no auto-recognition of a VGA monitor. i plug in externals by DP (or DVI)  ... if you do not have digital ports on  on your monitor then a DP to VGA adaptor works really well for auto recognition. with dual displays, sleep doesn't just happen on lid close - by design.

And I have a new problem :hysterical:

I use a UK Keyboard, so the keys \ and ` are different position, im search on google and found a problem from apple, with external uk keyboards need to remap this keys. i downloaded a custom layout and added to preferences. now works correctly  :wink_anim: 

@artimess - click on link in signature - zip is an attached at the bottom of the guide posting.

I really feel blind/stupid!  I downloaded  T420_UEFI-Clover-b3420_10.10_10.11_2016-04-06.zip   and extracted all, I do not see config.nodsdt.plist...

Is this what you meant bt"click on link in signature - zip is an attached at the bottom of the guide posting."?

Thanks.

Artimess

R1kz,

I use the vga too. I can't use display port because I have the nvidia card.

I have had success with the vga though. I connect the monitor then I open up the display dialogue and hit option button on keyboard and "detect displays" replaces "gather windows". I hit that and it recognizes the display. I can do clamshell mode by mirroring displays. I set the resolution to 1920 x 1080 even though that is too high for my t420 display it does it. The t420 is a bit hard to see but I have that closed and just use my external monitor. 

Emet 

I just wanted to congratulate everyone involved in the creation of this awesome guide. I successfully installed OS X El Capitan 10.11.4 on my T420 (swapped WiFi Card). Everything works as expected: power management is on point, battery life is exactly the same as in Windows and performance is excellent.

T420 - i5 2520M - 8GB - Crucial MX200 250GB

CPU temp @ idle is around 38-40 °C, fan speed @ 2000rpm. CPU throttles correctly between all P-States. 

I got Facetime and iMessage working (easily enough) and even AirPlay Mirroring works fine on my Apple TV (as well as bluetooth with my iPhone and wireless mouse).

Great job!

I just wanted to congratulate everyone involved in the creation of this awesome guide. I successfully installed OS X El Capitan 10.11.4 on my T420 (swapped WiFi Card). Everything works as expected: power management is on point, battery life is exactly the same as in Windows and performance is excellent.

T420 - i5 2520M - 8GB - Crucial MX200 250GB

CPU temp @ idle is around 38-40 °C, fan speed @ 2000rpm. CPU throttles correctly between all P-States. 

I got Facetime and iMessage working (easily enough) and even AirPlay Mirroring works fine on my Apple TV (as well as bluetooth with my iPhone and wireless mouse).

Great job!

It´s really a great job, indeed. 

hi,

i do have a T420 with a HD+ Display (1600x900) and i am planning to upgrade the display to a full hd display.

if i would switch to a Samsung LTN140HL02-201 display - would it work with the t420 and would it work together with osx? 

is the display i choose a good decission or is there a better alternative for the job? 

and to all supporters of this thread: thank you for your passion to let all this happen! i really do love my osx t420!

The display upgrade requires a converter board.  Instead on my 1600x900, in OS X I just scale up using this method: https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/4c66ox/x220_os_x_adding_scaled_resolutions_1536_x_864/?

Here's is the Override I created:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
        <key>DisplayProductName</key>
        <string>Lenovo T420 Display</string>
        <key>DisplayProductID</key>
        <integer>738</integer>
        <key>DisplayVendorID</key>
        <integer>12516</integer>
        <key>scale-resolutions</key>
        <array>
                <data>AAAHgAAABDg=</data>
        </array>
</dict>
</plist>

Cheaper than buying a converter board and new screen and to me it's very usable.

• Like 3