Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

It seems you guys are having freeze issues with the T420 on 10.11.4; FYI I don't have this problem on mine ( 1600x900 resolution, using pokenguyen's T420s DSDT provided in the attachment ). Brightness keys is fixed but shutdown still results in a restart, which drives me mad. I've already tried removing the Ultrabay battery thinking it was the cause, but no luck

@vusun123 - i wonder if its the USB3 causing this? can you turn those ports and test? or try the T420 DSDT for a quick test?

I'm using PXHCD,kext from Pandora to get the port working, not sure if it is the cause but I will try

Just in a case anyone is interested...

One thing i missed in my X220, referenced to the T420, is the ESATA port that I use for the backups. I got the "Sonnet Tempo Sata Iii Expresscard 34 Esata" from eBay, just for 20$.

Native supported, no further installation is needed. Great speed.

No boot support, though. Only in certain MacBooks.

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/temposataiii6gbec34.html

post-355016-0-61920300-1459829189_thumb.jpg

@vusun123 - i wonder if its the USB3 causing this? can you turn those ports and test? or try the T420 DSDT for a quick test?

OK I can confirm PXHCD.kext is the cause for shutdown became restart. Sadly there is no solution for 3rd party 3.0 USB on El Capitan save for 3rd party kexts which cause shutdown problem

Also, today I got a report from a fellow hackintosher that HD3000 on certain machines have glitches on 10.11.4, solution is removing AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext

I got a usb wireles card that seems to have installed with the mediatek driver.

With the mediatek wireless utility I can connect to the network. In other words it asks me for a password, I enter it and then it says there is a connection. Only it does not work. When I go into the network utility there is a wireless adapter that says it is connected but the address through DHCP is random. I have tried manually configuring but it still does not work even though the icon in the network utility goes from orange to green.

I am waiting on an internal card also but would like to figure this out meanwhile as it seems so close.

In light of the internal card is there a modified bios I can download.

Thankyou so much

@emet - yes see this post for modded bios http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285678-lenovo-thinkpad-t420-with-uefi-only/page-121?do=findComment&comment=2225948

and guys - if you are on 10.11.4 with glitches - try this out

boot verbose mode (or add -v in Boot Args) - seems to clean things up for me.  I lately  was about thinking it was about caching or the stage 2 glitch fix.  So today have been booting -v  and don't see a glitch. if I boot regular - then I get blue splotches and lines pretty quickly. 

Sorry to bother you but i tried the bios mod.

I loaded windows 7 on another drive with my osx drive removed. Then i ran the utility which said that I already had the latest bios in there. Not too surprising.

Then I right clicked the Flash.bat file and right clidked on "run as administrator". It ran a security prompt and then a command prompt window flashed very fast. But it seems like nothing happened.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

jenyunhuang,

are you saying it can not work? Or are you just giving me your sympathy?

I more thought that I was doing something wrong.

Also my little wireless usb dongle looks connected in istat and is uploading and downloading tiny amounts. It just won't communicate to do DHCP or anything else that is useful

Any thoughts anyone?

thank you

The BIOS flash is silent -- when you execute the batch file in Windows it is normal to see only the command prompt. My rule of thumb when doing this is to flash it, wait 10 minutes, then shut the computer off (not restart) and then turn it back on. 

• Like 1

no problem,

I would still appreciate help from from someone who understands the bios flash.

Thank you

Hi emet

Maybe your T420 office bios version is 1.48.

But the "Lenovo_ThinkPad_T420_83ET76WW-83uj28us_NWL_LEN21_ADV_RAM_Speedo_AES_vBios-2170" is version 1.46.

You need use the office Bios flash back to version 1.46.

Then flash the NWL Bios version 1.46.

Or to find the new NWL Bios version1.48 to flash.

If your bios is 1.48. Your only way that find Version 1.48 NWL Bios.

Can not use "Lenovo_ThinkPad_T420_83ET76WW-83uj28us_NWL_LEN21_ADV_RAM_Speedo_AES_vBios-2170" this file.

But if you bios is not 1.48 or 1.46. Then flash the office bios 1.46. Then flash the nwl bios file.

So what are you bios version?

If you don't know the version. Using the CPUZ can see the verison.

Only same version Bios can flash the NWL bios.

Lenovo Web

(Note)  If the UEFI BIOS has been updated to version 1.48 or higher, it is no longer  able to roll back to the version before 1.48 for security improvement.
Edited by jenyunhuang

@all with recent glitches - seems that OsxAptioFix2Drv was causing this issues. i was suspecting a memory issue and tried changing just changin slide but there seems to have been more to it.

@jenyunhuang - i read your note about using 3296  working - were you using Fix2Drv or FixDrv? I'm on 3412 and with FixDrv seems ok. 

@emet - as Zeridialous mentioned it may not be obvious something is happening. i did it 2 times to make sure.  i do the flash by running (command line) CMD as Administrator. then i cd to the location of bios stuff and run flash.bat on the command line. it takes about 5 minutes to run. 

then reboot. 

when you start up and go into BIOS for me the version is 1.46 and 1.20 - but now i have an advanced menu. and the wifi chip can be installed.

@all with recent glitches - seems that OsxAptioFix2Drv was causing this issues. i was suspecting a memory issue and tried changing just changin slide but there seems to have been more to it.

@jenyunhuang - i read your note about using 3296  working - were you using Fix2Drv or FixDrv? I'm on 3412 and with FixDrv seems ok. 

@emet - as Zeridialous mentioned it may not be obvious something is happening. i did it 2 times to make sure.  i do the flash by running (command line) CMD as Administrator. then i cd to the location of bios stuff and run flash.bat on the command line. it takes about 5 minutes to run. 

then reboot. 

when you start up and go into BIOS for me the version is 1.46 and 1.20 - but now i have an advanced menu. and the wifi chip can be installed.

3296 cannot work. I am try 3411 can work and using the Fix2Drv

Only replace the BootX64.efi by 3411. No change other. But need rebulid cache after replace file.

It still have glitches. Easy check to using screen saver(Flurry or Shell).

But if I change the DRAM speed from 1600 to 1333.

Screen saver cannot  see any glitches.

Hi tluck

Because I have two X220. One has glitches issues, other non.

Copy non issues EFI folder to other, can fix this problem. 

No glitches issues on Colver 3296.

Hi emet

Maybe your T420 office bios version is 1.48.

But the "Lenovo_ThinkPad_T420_83ET76WW-83uj28us_NWL_LEN21_ADV_RAM_Speedo_AES_vBios-2170" is version 1.46.

You need use the office Bios flash back to version 1.46.

Then flash the NWL Bios version 1.46.

Or to find the new NWL Bios version1.48 to flash.

If your bios is 1.48. Your only way that find Version 1.48 NWL Bios.

Can not use "Lenovo_ThinkPad_T420_83ET76WW-83uj28us_NWL_LEN21_ADV_RAM_Speedo_AES_vBios-2170" this file.

But if you bios is not 1.48 or 1.46. Then flash the office bios 1.46. Then flash the nwl bios file.

So what are you bios version?

If you don't know the version. Using the CPUZ can see the verison.

Only same version Bios can flash the NWL bios.

Lenovo Web

(Note)  If the UEFI BIOS has been updated to version 1.48 or higher, it is no longer  able to roll back to the version before 1.48 for security improvement.

That´s right, Careful! Still no modded BIOS for 1.48. It seems that is not as "easy" as previous ones.

That´s right, Careful! Still no modded BIOS for 1.48. It seems that is not as "easy" as previous ones.

Or modder decides to let it slide. I'm still waiting for a modded 1.41 bios for my T420s

BTW, did you test the dsdt for the W520 I posted ?

ok - update on the glitch saga. so i changed the SIP thing - CrsActiveConfig to 0x43 (instead 0x3) in config.plist - which enables NRAM writes. And then tested out OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi - and I got no glitches. So then i wanted to see what version changed Fix2Drv -- well i now i canNOT see glitches now...  running with 0x43 and the previously broke Fix2Drv. My son's T420 was on an older version r3348 with Fix2Drv and is probably why he has no glitches.  And I am on the very recent version 3419.

So conclusion?

1) change 0x3 to 0x43 

and if you still see glitches ...

2) use OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi instead of Fix2Drv (may need to manually remove Fix2Drv from the ESP driversUEFI directory)

Get a recent installer from https://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/files/Installer/Clover_v2.3k_r3411.zip/download

will revise the bundle later today.

<key>RtVariables</key>
<dict>
  <key>BooterConfig</key>
  <string>0x28</string>
  <key>CsrActiveConfig</key>
  <string>0x43</string>
</dict>
  • Like 5

ok - update on the glitch saga. so i changed the SIP thing - CrsActiveConfig to 0x43 (instead 0x3) in config.plist - which enables NRAM writes. And then tested out OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi - and I got no glitches. So then i wanted to see what version changed Fix2Drv -- well i now i canNOT see glitches now...  running with 0x43 and the previously broke Fix2Drv. My son's T420 was on an older version r3348 with Fix2Drv and is probably why he has no glitches.  And I am on the very recent version 3419.

So conclusion?

1) change 0x3 to 0x43 

and if you still see glitches ...

2) use OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi instead of Fix2Drv (may need to manually remove Fix2Drv from the ESP driversUEFI directory)

Get a recent installer from https://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/files/Installer/Clover_v2.3k_r3411.zip/download

will revise the bundle later today.

<key>RtVariables</key>
<dict>
  <key>BooterConfig</key>
  <string>0x28</string>
  <key>CsrActiveConfig</key>
  <string>0x43</string>
</dict>

change 0x3 to 0x43  seems to be ok for me

​Huge thanks tluck