What does "Still waiting for root device" mean and how to fix it?

mac.hp.pc

35 posts in this topic

A00.

okay, so i was able to install Snow Leopard Retail on my system, and its running but not so well. i downloaded a bootcd from http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=3047&page=2.

i burnt it on a cd, inserted it, allowed it to boot then when i was prompted, i removed the cd and then inserted the Snow Leopard 10.6.3 dvd. This was able to install without any error.

My aim is to update from 10.6.3 to 10.6.8 then to Lion 10.7.5 / Mountain lion. the thing you have to know is, i read somewhere that Ivy bridge support came only 10.7.5. that is why i'm running the updates like that. so far i have only been able to update to 10.6.8. i'm still on it so i'll keep u updated.

• Like 1

A00.

okay, so i was able to install Snow Leopard Retail on my system, and its running but not so well. i downloaded a bootcd from http://www.osx86.net...id=3047&page=2.

i burnt it on a cd, inserted it, allowed it to boot then when i was prompted, i removed the cd and then inserted the Snow Leopard 10.6.3 dvd. This was able to install without any error.

My aim is to update from 10.6.3 to 10.6.8 then to Lion 10.7.5 / Mountain lion. the thing you have to know is, i read somewhere that Ivy bridge support came only 10.7.5. that is why i'm running the updates like that. so far i have only been able to update to 10.6.8. i'm still on it so i'll keep u updated.

Wow, now that's dedication! :) I fear however it's just something simple being missed. Make sure your using smbios for closest matching MacbookPro model. Also try adding PciRoot=1 or PCIRootUID=1(syntax maybe one way or the other)
  • Like 1

If that is the case then I have to install Snow leopard first but there a problem. The first time i install Mac OS X SL, i was using modcd nawcom and it work on Dell XPS which is good. This time, my Dell XPS decide not recognize the same modcd nawcom that i used last time. Which is weird. Now, I have been experimenting with different BIOS version to see if it might solve the problem. I will post my result in a few day.

• 3 months later...

A00.

okay, so i was able to install Snow Leopard Retail on my system, and its running but not so well. i downloaded a bootcd from http://www.osx86.net...id=3047&page=2.

you was having this error first of try that bootcd? No interval found for . Using 8000000

i have a sony vaio vpceb1j1e with this error ,do you guys think i can resolve with this bootcd?

thank you

trying to install IATKOS ML2 but i have retail of 10.8.3 too

let me know if can work on this notebook

Specifications for VPCEB1J1E/WI

Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Technical Platform

Architecture Intel HM55

CPU Section

Processor Name Intel Core i3-330M Processor Processor Manufacturer Intel Processor Speed (Mhz) 2130 Type Core i3-330M Processor

Memory

Memory Size (MB) 4096 Memory Speed (Mhz) 1066 Memory Type DDR3 - PC3-8500 (SO-DIMM) Max. Supported Memory (MB) 8192

Display

Diagonal Size (in) 15.5 Resolution 1366 x 768 Resolution Type VAIO Display

Graphics

Graphic Card Name Intel HD Graphics

Multimedia

Audio Chipset ALC269 - High Definition Audio Codec Chipset Manufacturer REALTEK Audio Type HDAudio

Drives

Hard Drive SATA (GB) 320

Optical Drives

Optical Drive CD x24, CD-R x24, CD-RW x10, DVD x8, DVD+R x8, DVD+RW x8, DVD-R x8, DVD-RW x6, DVD DL x6

Interfaces

Memory Stick™ Slot Memory Stick™ Standard, Memory Stick™ Duo, MagicGate compatible SD Slot Yes USB Port(s) (quantity) 3 USB Speed High/Full/Low USB Version 2.0 Headphone Jack Yes Microphone Jack Yes VGA Yes

Features

Internal Microphone Yes

Camera

Description Motion Eye

Connectivity

Wireless LAN Data transfer 150 Mbps max - Range 10m to 100m Ethernet network 10BASE-T/100BASE-TX/1000BASE-T