What does "Still waiting for root device" mean and how to fix it?

mac.hp.pc

35 posts in this topic

:welcomeani:Hi

Do anyone know how to install Mountain Lion on Dell XPS 15 L502X?

I tried typing GraphicsEnabler=N cpus=1 busratio=20 with and without -f or -x or

npci=0x2000 or PCIRootUID=1 but not thing is working. I can't even boot into iATKOS ML2 usb installer and i know the iATKOS_ML2.dmg file is working because i installed it on my other laptop.

The USB is already setup with ML2 Bootloader_installer.pkg and restore with iATKOS_ML2.dmg

Every time i boot the USB, i have a no smoking sign but without the cigarette so i boot in to verbose boot (-v) i got an error. It said "Still waiting for root device." :huh: -> :o-> :shock: -> :blowup:

Dose it matter if i update the bio to the latest version and what should i do???? :wallbash::help:

Thanks for replying. It is still did not working. I checked the bio and tried theLegacyAppleAHCIPort.kext and

AHCIPortInjector.kext but it did not work.

I discover something i tried booting iATKOS ML on a Lenovo laptop and it did not work and have same problem as my Dell XPS15 L502X. Before "Still waiting for root device", it have "No interval found for . Using 8000000" on both Dell XPS and the Lenovo laptop. I wonder if this information will help??

You mention in your other topic(which I have now merged with this one) your USB installer works on other laptop so you know it's good, but then now say it doesn't work on other laptop, which is it? Also when using any injector, only one can be installed. You can instead try this one I updated to include support for newer chipsets not included in the legacy versions. Use -f when booting to be sure it loads and your not booting from cache. Hopefully this is right version, I need to clean up my Dropbox :)

AHCI_Extended_Injector.kext 3.zip

• Like 1

I just added the kext at the USB in Extra/Extension and I still the error. Inside E/E folder there ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext. Will those kext cause the error???

This is from the org.chameleon.Boot in E/E folder. I wonder if this will help.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>npci=0x2000</string>

<key>Legacy Logo</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>Quiet Boot</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>Rescan</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>SMBIOS</key>

<string>/Extra/smbios.plist</string>

<key>SMBIOSdefaults</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>UseKernelCache</key>

<string>Yes</string>

</dict>

</plist>

post-1013405-0-46739000-1358089295_thumb.jpg

add to System/Library/Extensions, haven't used Extra/Extensions since Snow Leo since newer OSX versions handle cacheing differently and kexts cannot be cached from Extra.. org.chameleon.Boot.plist should be in /Extra and NOT /Extra/Extensions/, EliottForceLegacyRTC.kext should be deleted, personally I have yet to set up a hack where it didn't cause a KP so it' beyond me why it's included as a default kext in these distros unless they are targeted at users will old hardware only. If you still have trouble after that, I would suggest not using a distro because with all the generic {censored} that is added in an attempt to make it work on most PC's, you end up spending hours/days trying to figure out which things it added for you are actually causing problems instead. Just follow the Guide in tutorials section and you will have much better success. IOPCIfamily.kext may cause issue depending on version and your hardware.

Sometimes during install injector may not load and SATA device ID needs to be added to AppleAHCIPort.kext, this is usually on H67 chipsets where bios has no option to choose RAID, IDE or AHCI modes and is always in RAID mode based on the device ID.

• Like 2

I am testing the distros on a sandy bridge with nvidia geforce gt 555m and a Ivy bridge with nvidia geforce 6xx. So hope for luck and if it is not working, i will try a retail Mac OS X ML. I never did it cos i have to search for kext and there more work but i will give it a shot. :thumbsup_anim:

I've always found it to be easier, faster and more compatible. Even if it takes a few mins longer to make install USB, the amount of time saved on installation along with knowing exactly what's in your setup will save hours and much hassle in the future and you'll be able to fix things if something happens or an update replaces a needed kext

• Like 1

That is a bios error, so not specific to hackintosh per se. Check BIOS boot settings to be sure it's trying to boot from the correct drive, and AHCI mode is enabled if booting from SATA(enable it regardless). Because Dell can be lame, you may not have that option but if you instead have choice of IDE/legacy and RAID, choose RAID. Once your sure BIOS is configured properly, other possibility is Chameleon bootloader was not installed properly or the partition was not marked as active. Running the Chameleon bootloader installer again using all default settings is the easiest and best solution. If need be, install chameleon to a separate USB or SATA drive. It will have nothing to do with OSX or hackintosh setup at this point. Gotta get past the bios before any of that will come into play. If you are using multiple partitions on a disk or extended partitions, don't, it makes bootloader config much more difficult.

• Like 1

Bad news, I still have the "Still waiting for root device" error on the Lenovo Z580. I have tested the bootable Mac os x ml USB on my HP and it can boot.

I have booted with "GraphicsEnabler=N cpus=1 busratio=29" in the the Lenovo

I think the error will happen in my Dell XPS 15 but i will try.

Lenovo Z580

CPU:Intel i5 3210m

GPU:Nvidia Geforce GT 630m

Wifi:Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2200 (bgn), 4.0 Bluetooth

Wired:Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller 10/100 (10MBit)

I still have that error when i try "-f -v npci=0x3000"

I think it the boot loader problem because previously i have install snow leopard on the Dell XPS15. Using snow leopard boot loader to boot it. I don't understand how to apply bcc9 fix. Will you kindly show me how to fix it?

• Like 1

mac.hp.pc, i share in your struggle.

Computer Brand Name: DELL Inspiron 5523 (15z)

Processor: Intel Core i7-3517U (1900.0 MHz)

Motherboard: DELL 0JRYH9 (Intel HM77 (Panther Point))

Memory: 8 GBytes (Dual-Channel)

Hard Drive: WDC WD5000LPVT-75G33T0 (476,940 MBytes (500 GB))

SAMSUNG SSD PM830 mSATA 32GB (30,533 MBytes (32 GB))

Optical Drive: HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GU70N (DVD+R DL)

Display Adapter: Intel Ivy Bridge-MB GT2 - Integrated Graphics Controller [E1/L1/N0/P0] [DELL]

Audio Adapter: Intel Panther Point PCH - High Definition Audio Controller [C1]

Network Adapter: Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 BGN 2x2 HMC WiFi/Bluetooth Adapter [DELL]

Atheros AR8161/8165 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller

Battery: DELL TPMCF2A

i have aslo tried to install ML2 but i keep getting this "still waiting....."

I have read from so many sites but http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/280062-waiting-for-root-device-when-kernel-cache-used-only-with-some-disks-fix/page__st__0 is the only site that has come close to solution. Pls give it a try and keep us updated. I'll keep searching and i'll update as soon as possible.

• Like 2

i'm still working on something, but its too early to say if its going to work or not. So far, i hv bn able to get 10.6.3 installed. the idea is to see if i can upgrade to lion or even Mountain Lion. I'll keep u updated.

• Like 1