Generic USB2.0 (EHCI) Driver

orByte

474 posts in this topic

..orByte releases USB modified source code & semi-retirement announced

Hi everybody!

Thanks :) a lot for all the comments and help I have received in the past few months since I started working on the Darwin USB drivers. Sadly, I am having almost no time left to work on this project. Initally I had only released the source code as diffs. However, I am now releasing the full project, in the hope that someone else will pick up the project and continue working on it. I will similarly release the Realtek 8139 driver - leaving only the Uli526x network driver on my list of things to to.

These projects are best suited to people who are already familiar with programming & Darwin compilation...

Thanks and good luck in future endeavors :P Now that 10.4.9 sources are released, someone start working on it! :P

• 2 weeks later...

Meanwhile I've successfully booted with USB-support by disabling USB2.0 in bios. I also have to disconnect and reconnect all USB-devices after successfull boot for them to actually work.

Are you guys really sure that its the USB implementation (IOUSBFamily) that is the problem? I posted in another thread something I found out:

I just did a discovery that most people here probably know about but just in case you dont smile.gif There has been a theory that some sort of bios controll mechanism of the USB controller has prevented the USB kext to take control of USB 2.0 devices, this doesnt appear to be the case from what I can see. When I delete IOUSBMasstorage.kext (and boots up without it existing) the USB 2.0 device shows up nicely under USBEHCI device, then I make tests by unplugging it and then plugging it back and the devices dissapears, comes back, dissapears etc. So it seems that the USB controller works flawlessly and that there is no issue at all with the kext for it (I run the apple developer update and have 10.4.9 with latest kernel).

When putting back IOUSBMasstorage.kext the problem comes back with releasing the USB device, when plugged in it sometimes appears and then doesnt go away when unplugged or it simply doesnt appear.

From my little research it seems to me that IOUSBMasstorage doesnt work but IOUSBFamliy does great. I have a K8T800 Pro msi mobo by the way.

Im tired so if this been up before or my post is inconsistant then you know why.

I still have no luck with the ehci controller... I can't get it working since 10.4.7...

the ohci controler works fine... I have the latest bios for my computer.

I have the latest IOUSBFamily.kext (2.70) from Apple. All the others ones doesn't work.

I tried the kext from here, but no luck... :(

here is my dmesg output :

USBF: 14. 25 AppleUSBEHCI[0x22cd800]::UIMInitialize - unable to get device memory

USBF: 14. 27 AppleUSBEHCI[0x22cd800]::UIMInitialize - Error occurred (0xe00002be)

USBF: 14. 38 AppleUSBEHCI: unable to initialize UIM

if someone can help... :rolleyes:

I still have no luck with the ehci controller... I can't get it working since 10.4.7...

the ohci controler works fine... I have the latest bios for my computer.

I have the latest IOUSBFamily.kext (2.70) from Apple. All the others ones doesn't work.

I tried the kext from here, but no luck... :)

here is my dmesg output :

USBF: 14. 25 AppleUSBEHCI[0x22cd800]::UIMInitialize - unable to get device memory

USBF: 14. 27 AppleUSBEHCI[0x22cd800]::UIMInitialize - Error occurred (0xe00002be)

USBF: 14. 38 AppleUSBEHCI: unable to initialize UIM

if someone can help... :)

hi unfortunately, this error is the kiss of death. It happens very early on in the driver initialization cycle. It will take someone who has this error on their machine to fix it. It could be related to the PCI interface/driver. You could try with an earlier version of IOPCIFamily - but caution, this could also seriously mess up your machine.

Best

thanks for the answers...

I have a laptop... it's an acer 5504 WXMi as you can see in my signature. the motherboad is an acer too based on an Intel 915PM Express chipset (if I remember correctly). an no, I didn't try yet with an older IOPCIFamily... I keep you all in touch

edit:

I try IOPCIFamily.kext from 10.4.4 and 10.4.6 and still not working...

with 10.4.4, I get errors from different versions between com.apple.IOPCIFamily and IOPCIFamily kext

witch version should I try?

I remember that in 10.4.3, I have full usb2 support. I try IOUSBFamily from it, but this doesn't work : not a valid mach-o :tomato:

It happens very early on in the driver initialization cycle.

yes, it did. at the very begining.

After doing something stupid I reinstalled and stuck with .8 instead of upgrading because of this issue. Sucks cause half the time would have to unplug and plug back in all my USB devices. Pain since I have quite a few. Current version of patch with .8 works great!

I have an USB issue since I updated to 8.8.1.

No USB at all, then I tried many thing and I could only get USB 1 devices working. No way to get mounted USB2 devices even in "only USB1" in bios (but I can see it in system profiler...) See here

Here is my today's experience, can someone explain this :

Well I just tired to reinstall IOUSBFamily from the Apple Debug Kit.

Then no more USB working at all (USB1 or USB2 simply nothing)

So I installed this driver and now I went back to the previous situation... USB1 working. USB2 devices appear in system profiler but don't want to mount

I thought this driver was only for USB2 but it only make me usb1 working!

Well does anyone have a solution for this?

For people having trouble with high speed usb on 10.4.9 read post 164 on page 9. I used the newer version installer on 10.4.9 tubgirl release and then my usb worked fine. Actually my usb worked even before that but I could not use my flash drive. Now both my flash drive and usb camera /other usb devices all work and it's high speed.

I tried it a couple of times followed exact instructions and it keeps tellin me its invalid. My mouse works my usb speakers work but my hard drives wont work. -.- wtf m8te :wallbash:

Some more info would be nice. If you're trying to install on 10.4.9/8.9.1 good luck. It will fail as this is compiled for 8.8.1. I'm awaiting for a 8.9.1 version myself so I can re-upgrade. Reverted back because of the USB problems myself.

• 3 weeks later...
For people having trouble with high speed usb on 10.4.9 read post 164 on page 9. I used the newer version installer on 10.4.9 tubgirl release and then my usb worked fine. Actually my usb worked even before that but I could not use my flash drive. Now both my flash drive and usb camera /other usb devices all work and it's high speed.

Well unfortunately that post addresses MULTIPLE issues. The primary focus of THIS thread is the Generic EHCI driver, which from most accounts will not work on 10.4.9. I'm glad other solutions in that post fixed your problem, but that' doesn't help those of us who have the problem which this thread addresses.