Need Help with G5 Mod (late 2005 model) Front Panel Wiring!

willrockhopper

6 posts in this topic

So, Im doing a G5 (late 2005 model) case mod in which I plan to use the original front panel for the Power Button and Power LED (and other connections which I have figured out)

As you might know this is the model with the difficult front panel with no simple connection- no probelmo, I can work with it but I have become a little confused with the task of getting my motherboard to work with the original Front Panel.

Heres a diagram of the G5 front panel pinout-

01 02 03 04 05 05 06 07 08 09 10 11

12 13 14 15 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Audio

USB

Firewire

Button/LED

unknown

01: Audio Left

02: Audio GND

03: Audio Right

04: ???

05: FIREWIRE GND (double)

06: USB VCC (+5V)

07: GND

08: GND

09: FIREWIRE TPB-

10: FIREWIRE TPB+

11: LED

12: Firewire FW802C IC VDDA (+3.3V)

13: ???

14: GND

15: FIREWIRE VCC (double) (+12V)

16: GND

17: USB D-

18: USB D+

19: GND

20: FIREWIRE TPA-

21: FIREWIRE TPA+

22: BUTTON

And for my motherboard-

post-1113688-0-63923500-1357876842_thumb.png

So what I'm confused about is connecting the Power Button and Power LED from the motherboard to the front panel as on the front panel pinout there is only 1 connection for the power button and power led but on the Motherboards pinout there is 2 connections for each- how can I get them to work?

Any help on this would be great!

Thanks

I dont have experience with the late G5 front panel, but in the older ones goes like this:

-PLED+ and PWR on the mobo to Pin 11 and 22 on the front panel

-GND on the mobo to any GND pin on the front panel (notice that PLED- remains unconnected)

• Like 1

I dont have experience with the late G5 front panel, but in the older ones goes like this:

-PLED+ and PWR on the mobo to Pin 11 and 22 on the front panel

-GND on the mobo to any GND pin on the front panel (notice that PLED- remains unconnected)

Thanks for that man :D

So, now I'm past that confusion I'm ready to solder the cables onto the contacts.

Seeing I just want the Power Button, Power LED, Audio Port and USB Port to work (no FireWire) I have made a diagram that I think will let everything work (except FireWire)

post-1113688-0-49054800-1357908224_thumb.png

[Note: There is a deliberate double 5 as contact pads 5 and 15 are in fact double size single pads]

From what I've heard I should only need only a single GND on the front panel connected to GND on my motherboard (apart from Audio GND) for everything to function- is this correct?

Let me know if you see anything that is incorrect.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Will - you are correct on the single ground! I run the G5 Resource Page at G5Modders.com - would you mind if I add this to the Front Panel informational page? We don't have much about the late '05 G5 but (and you're evidence of this) I know there are people out there that could benefit from your knowledge! Let me know if this diagram worked for you and whether you would be ok with that (you would be credited!)

Thanks!

• Like 2

• 10 months later...