BIOS patch power management UEFI

• Please log in to reply
1832 replies to this topic

WhatTheTech

WhatTheTech

Macmodder Addict

• Retired
  • 458 posts

Do you have some form of disabler (nullcpupowermanagement / custom kernel for example)
It seems your powermanagement doesn't get loaded...

Andy,

I just reinstalled a fresh copy of ML, with the generic extra folder from the myHack installer.

After that, I deleted the nullCPUPowerManagement.kext, repaired and restarted. Do I also have to remove AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext? What about AppleIntelPowerManagementClient.kext?

Thanks!

WTT

Andy Vandijck

Andy Vandijck

InsanelyMac Deity

• Coders
  • 1,858 posts
  • Interests:Programming stuff for Mac OS X...
    Hacking...
    Hard rock (also really big Metallica...

Andy,

I just reinstalled a fresh copy of ML, with the generic extra folder from the myHack installer.

After that, I deleted the nullCPUPowerManagement.kext, repaired and restarted. Do I also have to remove AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext? What about AppleIntelPowerManagementClient.kext?

Thanks!

WTT

The client has been introduced a while ago.
Both are required for PM to work

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,430 posts
Hi CodeRush

This looks a great project here. Top job. :)
I see you have the Asus Maximus IV GENE-Z mobo - same as me.
Have you updated to BIOS v3603 using your tool?

After that, I deleted the nullCPUPowerManagement.kext, repaired and restarted.

Hi WhatTheTech

Did you run myHack's myfix after deleting nullCPUPowerManagement.kext from your /Extra folder?

CodeRush

CodeRush

InsanelyMac Sage

• Developers
  • 433 posts
@blackosx, no because this version sucks monkey balls. This version is full of bugs I can't recommend it to anyone. Let's wait for another version, if any. I'm using 3402 with minor modifications besides PMPatch. I can't say this version is bug-free, but it's the best from 3xxx line.

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,430 posts
Lol.. monkey balls are bad! :)

I'm currently using 3402 and I'm very happy with it. I did have a go at patching the original ASUS BIOS myself following dgsga's guide. I learned the steps required from that guide but I ended up using the patched version from biosrepo.

Can I ask what other modifications you made to your v3402?

xpamamadeus

xpamamadeus

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 588 posts

It is possible but it's harder then a simple patch. If I will work on it, it will be another project. I'm not a fan of do-all-you-can-imagine kind of utilities, because they are hard to code and debug.

U have me as tester if u integrate that driver.
z77x ud5h

CodeRush

CodeRush

InsanelyMac Sage

• Developers
  • 433 posts

Can I ask what other modifications you made to your v3402?

OROMs upgraded to latest versions available, descriptor lock bytes modified to standard Intel settings (ME and GbE are locked) for testing purposes.

SwedishGojira

SwedishGojira

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:Movies, games, graphical design, computers.
Excuse me for being a total n00b about this, but if I patch my BIOS of my ASUS k53sc for use of native AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext do I still need to have SSDT in /Extra?
And what settings should I have in org.chameleon.Boot.plist for this to work (GeneratePStates and GenerateCStates)?

LatinMcG

LatinMcG

Insanely digesting DSDT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,515 posts

Excuse me for being a total n00b about this, but if I patch my BIOS of my ASUS k53sc for use of native AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext do I still need to have SSDT in /Extra?
And what settings should I have in org.chameleon.Boot.plist for this to work (GeneratePStates and GenerateCStates)?

yes u need it most of times.
i had error 18 on speedstep 2 without it on P8Z77-v LX.

DropSSDT Yes is needed.. if your SSDT has extra code ( sata or usb) then it needs to be used in a file as well next to the CPU SSDT

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,430 posts

OROMs upgraded to latest versions available, descriptor lock bytes modified to standard Intel settings (ME and GbE are locked) for testing purposes.

Thanks for the reply CodeRush.
However I hold my hands up and acknowledge that I don't know that much about this subject, and don't know what an OROM is without research. :)

Titokhan

Titokhan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, first post here.

Successfully applied the patch on the latest bios (221) of Asus X53SC (same as K53SC/A53SC). Flashing is also successful using Winflash /nodate. Now its time to test my ML installation.

Btw, I'm Tito from MDL who posted about this on there.

:)

CodeRush

CodeRush

InsanelyMac Sage

• Developers
  • 433 posts
@Titokhan, thank you for testing and all your works on MDL.

@all, my trip is over, finally. I must attend CeBIT 2013 the next week, but after it I will look thru this topic once again. Please post your suggestions and/or reports, if any.

Andy Vandijck

Andy Vandijck

InsanelyMac Deity

• Coders
  • 1,858 posts
  • Interests:Programming stuff for Mac OS X...
    Hacking...
    Hard rock (also really big Metallica...

@Titokhan, thank you for testing and all your works on MDL.

@all, my trip is over, finally. I must attend CeBIT 2013 the next week, but after it I will look thru this topic once again. Please post your suggestions and/or reports, if any.

Great,
I hope you had a nice trip.
Welcome back :D

lunux

lunux

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
Code Rush
thanks a lot could you check if is it possible patch this bios
PTEC - 2
Phoenix BIOS SC-T v2.1
link here

http://www.4shared.c...iesltd-11d.html

my system is no OEM
Atom n2800 gma3600
ssd hd intel wifi
trued everything .........but kernel panic
i am sure bios is blocking something ,
thanks
congratulations for your work

CodeRush

CodeRush

InsanelyMac Sage

• Developers
  • 433 posts
Can anyone download this for me and upload to another location?
It requires registration and I don't have time to register now.
Please use attachments for this next time.

lunux

lunux

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
http://www45.zippysh...93944/file.html

thanks for you interest

lunux

lunux

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

http://www45.zippysh...93944/file.html

thanks for you interest

Can anyone download this for me and upload to another location?
It requires registration and I don't have time to register now.
Please use attachments for this next time.

Attached Files

The Real Deal

The Real Deal

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 1,004 posts
Hi Coderush,
Do you know if BIOS from Asus X58 boards are locked in any way, or can we "unleashed" the BIOSes ? I have a fresh install of Mountain Lion with a Rampage III Extreme ; previously i had a Maximus V Formula (Z77) and to get speedstep to work, procedures was to unlock the UEFI BIOS + SSDT.

With my Rampage III Extreme, it looks very similar with the locked UEFI BIOS (Z77), multiplier stuck at X12 (lowest multiplier). Strangely after a wake from sleep (like with the MVF), multiplier can be X39, X40, etc,. (according to the overclocking settings).

Here is the Asus RIIIE 1502 BIOS ; thank you :)

Attached Files

Mrengles

Mrengles

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

...I need testers with different boards from different vendors to make the utility better, so if you have enough courage or a spare BIOS chip - please try it and report in this topic...

@CodeRush

I've also used your tool to unlock/patch my ASRock Z77 Professional-M motherboards UEFI v1.90 without a single problem. It works great! Thanks for all of your hard work.

Do you know if any other beneficial features can be added to this ASRock motherboards UEFI?

Gratitude,

Mrengles

CodeRush

CodeRush

InsanelyMac Sage

• Developers
  • 433 posts
@lunux, there are no patch pattern in this BIOS, but nest PowerManagement2.efi module is present. I will look at it's disassembly and try to find a way to remove 0xE2 lock.

@The Real Deal, I don't have X58 board to test, so I don't know how can I patch this. If anyone can find a way to correct this behavior - I can write an utility to automate this correction. I can't develop a way to patch without actual board and much time for testing. Sorry.
More to say, AFAIK, power management on X79 boards is not supported by OS X itself, so any PM patches we can make are useless for now on. Let's wait for Apple or independent coders to develop this support.

@mrengels, try using AMIBCP utility and look for hidden modules and strings. It's possible that they can be revealed and used, like ME menu in older 0xxx BIOS versions on ASUS Z68 boards. Another option is Option ROMs and VideoBIOS update, which can bring some minor speed-up. There are no ultimate hidden option in any modern AMI BIOS, that makes your PC ten times faster and unlocks HT on 2500K. What a shame. :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: BIOS, patch, power management, UEFI

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2015 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy