BIOS patch power management UEFI

• Please log in to reply
1636 replies to this topic

CodeRush

CodeRush

InsanelyMac Sage

• Developers
  • 400 posts

@NSCXP2005, dump you bios and try patching, if .patched file is generated - it will work, if not - attach your dump here, I'll look at it. 

Are you sure you need this patch? There is no easy way to flash modified BIOS on modern Ultrabooks, and if something failt, the PC will be bricked.

NSCXP2005

NSCXP2005

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts
What tool should I use to dump the bios?

CodeRush

CodeRush

InsanelyMac Sage

• Developers
  • 400 posts

Intel FPT 8.xx will be fine.

Qwaser

Qwaser

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

I use Clover ;)

Have you checked in bios if you can disable the bit?

I don't understand what the bit and where to find it in the BIOS ? :/

Qwaser

Qwaser

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

How do I use the script ? With the terminal or when necessary to add the script to the kernel file ?

Kill.Javascript

Kill.Javascript

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Music, photography, wordplay, art, graphic design, travel

Yes, you'll use the Terminal (likely as "sudo") to run the script (which you can just copy and paste). Make sure your directory paths are correct when you issue the Terminal commands. Here's a rundown of how this guy did it. Not all of it applies to you, but you'll be able to pick up some tips: http://www.thev.net/...hackintosh.html

Qwaser

Qwaser

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

I patch my mach_kernel but I always have a kernel panic :/

Kill.Javascript

Kill.Javascript

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

double-check the md5 hash to make sure the patch actually succeeded. the md5 (terminal command: md5) for the vanilla mach_kernel is different than the one for the patched one. if the patched one is the same, re-do your patch operation. again, make sure you follow the proper directories (just drag and drop the file onto the Terminal window, as well as the patched file location. and use the sudo command.

also, make sure you keep a backup of the original.

if you've done everything properly and it STILL doesn't work, then you might want to consider re-authoring your USB stick with another installer strategy. I've used myHack lately on a few installs and for the most part it's been fine.

Qwaser

Qwaser

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

The MD5 of the mach_kernel "vanilla" and patch is differents. You advice me  to use myHack ? What is myHack ? It's a bootloader like Clover ?

Kill.Javascript

Kill.Javascript

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

well, i hope i'm not breaking any written or unwritten forum protocols here, but check out myHack home page (vous avez lu google, non?): http://myhack.sojugarden.com/guide/

as I indicated above, it's not perfect but I've got three OS X.9.4 builds running fine that I installed with it.

again, you'll have to do the mach_kernel patching after creating the USB installer, and then again on your OS X hard drive after installing (provided you get that far).

Download-Fritz

Download-Fritz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Internet: Programming, playing, surfing, chatting
    Real life: Sorry, don't talk about...

Hey fellow hackintoshers,

I'm not entirely sure if this is really the right place to ask, but to be honest it seems like the best place to me. :)

After having my NVRAM working with the AptioFixDrv by dmazar (as far as I know with the help of CodeRush, not entirely sure, but thanks you very much if so!), I thought I could look into having my MSR register unlocked. The guide looked quite simple to me (and in fact it works as simple, thanks again CodeRush :) ), but my problem is more... essential. I dumped my firmware with AFU and noticed that index 0 and 1 are the exact same (I checked checksums). Thus I read through the topic and found recommendations of FPT (one user suggested it to me "personally" a while back). Downloaded, extracted, run, firmware dumped. I compared the files and found out that they were different. To be precise, index 0 differs. Index 0 and 1 are NOT the same in the image created with FPT, while they are in the AFU image. While the FPT image looks more legit to me, AFU was created by AMI and thus there is a level of trust in it. The other indexes are identical by the way.

As I don't have much knowledge about this area I decided that I either need to forget about patching my firmware or I need advise from someone who has an idea of what he is doing. :) I attached both dumps below in the zip-file. If you don't mind, I also have a follow-up question: I hear about People losing their motherboard S/N, their MAC adress and other data. Is it possible that THIS is exactly what happened to one of the images? If not, do I have to worry about this with FPT or AFU? I was suggested to use DPCI Maneger to be sure to keep these data, but it failed extraction.

I will appreciate any kind of answer helping me, even if it's a "don't patch". :) Thanks in advance!

Have a nice day,

Download-Fritz.

Edit: typo.

Attached Files

Net-burst

Net-burst

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Hi, CodeRush. Can you please help me? I'm trying to remove NVRAM lock on Z77 Asus Maximus V Extreme board. I found info about using AMIBCP to remove lock, but it produces image without capsule header. I think I read somewhere that UBF don't do any checks, so I'm little afraid to flash this image. So, what's best way to remove NVRAM lock for Asus boards? If its complicated like using disassembler, then can you please help me with producing image with lock removed: https://mega.co.nz/#...2rtUuKqPEy2H-6g ? Thanks in advance.

eof

eof

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I'm trying to install a hackintosh on an AsRock Z87 Pro3 (my first hackintosh install). Having just downloaded the newest 2.90 BIOS for the mobo and running PMPatch I get:

$ ../git/PMPatch/build/PMPatch Z87Pro32.90 Z87Pro32.90.patched
PMPatch 0.5.14
PowerManagement modules not found.
PowerMgmtDxe/PowerManagement2.efi modules not found.
Trying to apply patch #1
Nested PowerMgmtDxe/PowerManagement2.efi module at 001DD60C not patched: Patch pattern not found.
AMI nest module at 002581C0 not patched: PowerManagement modules not found in nested module.
Phoenix nest modules not found.
CpuPei module at 00761200 not patched: Patch pattern not found.

I'm running Fedora 20 on this system. Any ideas of what's going on? BIOS internals is not my thing. UEFIPatch gives me:

$ ./UEFIPatch ~/Downloads/Z87Pro32.90
reconstruct: Aptio capsule checksum and signature can now become invalid
No patches can be applied to input file

CodeRush

CodeRush

InsanelyMac Sage

• Developers
  • 400 posts

@Download-Fritz, "index 0" is an NVRAM volume that changes every boot, because the system writes last known boot configuration there. "Index 1" is a copy of NVRAM volume done by BIOS Setup where you've selected "Save Changes and Reset", that is why both backups you have made are fine.

FPT is in fact more reliable then AFU, because it's much simpler and does no changes to input file, while AFU tries to preserve ROM holes, transfer some files and do other things no one really needs. Then it uses SMM-based flasher to do real writes to SPI chip, which can be handy on boards with BIOS Lock, but again more complex then FPT, that just uses chipset registers directly to write to SPI chip.

You don't have to worry about FPT or AFU. If writing with FPT works for you - go use it, if not - just use AFU, either way is fine.

@Net-burst, please update your Clover to the latest version, NVRAM problems are gone now thanks to dmazar. You can also experience problems with iMessage after this update, so I recommend to read this topic to the end.

@eof, looks like it's already unlocked, nothing to patch there.

Net-burst

Net-burst

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

@CodeRush, thanks. I thought that it is locked because of some messages on forums. Also OSX on boot writes something about inability to write to NVRAM. Also, some users stated that older version of bios did not have NVRAM lock (older versions don't have SMI lock enabled in BCP, if that matters). So, new Clover eliminates any need to unlock NVRAM?

PS. I'm already following that topic. But still waiting to some iMessages clarification, because I use it quite heavily :(

savemosca

savemosca

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

PMPatch is obsolete and not supported by me anymore.

I have developed the successor of it, UEFIPatch, which is both more universal and reliable, and uses UEFITool's engine for proper UEFI modification.

Combined topic about all my UEFITool-based utilities is here, sources are available on GitHub, binaries can be downloaded here, full announce and short help on usage is here.

Bug reports are welcome. 

To any new readers of this topic: it's you who takes all the risk of bricking your board, it's you who is responsible for all things that you do to your PC, not me or any other developer out there!

BIOS modifications are risky by their nature, please be aware of it and don't blame me if anything is gone wrong for you.

Old PMPatch post and FAQ is in spoiler below:

Spoiler

There is a guide to use UEFIPatch? I actually use SSDTPRGen script from Pike R. Alpha, result is the same? Or one of two is a better solution?

Thanks.

CodeRush

CodeRush

InsanelyMac Sage

• Developers
  • 400 posts

Pike's scripts are unrelated to the problem solved by UEFIPatch. If you don't know what UEFIPatch is - you don't need it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: BIOS, patch, power management, UEFI

11 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy