• Please log in to reply
1968 replies to this topic

StoneTemplePilots

StoneTemplePilots

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

could someone please take a look at this output?

looks ok:

post_1245950_0_92538300_1398674066.png

nikezzz

nikezzz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok well something strange happened - I wanted to do this Hotswap and flash the backup on the Bricked BIOS Chip:
I booted into windows 8, swapped the Chip, started afuwin and as soon as I selected the file - the Computer restarts (so there was no flashing I believe) but this time he boots up normally - with the bricked chip. :D
I thought well ok let's see if MSR is unlocked so I booted into windows 8 and made a fresh dump, opened in UEFITool and it's unlocked.
However HWMonitor doesn't show me either Speedstep nor turbo but that's because I don't have a SSDT I think (will check that later).
I also did a Geekbench test and the result was 36K which is a little more than before I think. Then I made the Geekbench test in Windows and the result is 38K (I think it's due to turbo) but it's only showing me 800Mhz Ram which was 1600mhz before I also double checked this with CPUZ but also 800Mhz :( - so is this a Windows 8 energy saving thing or is it due to unlocked MSR?

Thanks in advance

nikezzz

nikezzz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok I got it all working :)
I found out the reason for bricking the BIOS Chips was because of BIOS version 3202 - Arkanis and chofete used 5404 which works without problem.
For those with the same Mobo: After you patched MSR you have to use rampagedev's AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext and use a SSDT to get Turbo and Speedstep working.
Anyway thank you very much guys you're awesome!

Aigors

Aigors

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 788 posts
  • Interests:RC Model, pc, networking, mechanic electronic

could someone please take a look at this output?

What's wrong? if you read output file generated, the patching goes rigth 

Riggins

Riggins

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hello everbody,

I have a MAXIMUS VI HERO C2 with the latest bios v1402.

I patched the bios with pmpatch v0.5.14, could someone please take a look if it seems right ?

Thank's you.

Attached Files

Aigors

Aigors

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 788 posts
  • Interests:RC Model, pc, networking, mechanic electronic

Hello everbody,

I have a MAXIMUS VI HERO C2 with the latest bios v1402.

I patched the bios with pmpatch v0.5.14, could someone please take a look if it seems right ?

Thank's you.

Yes it's ok, when you read 

Output File Generated 

the bios have been patched right 

Riggins

Riggins

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Ok, thx Aigors :)

Bozster

Bozster

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Hey Nikolaj, can you upload the compiled version again.. downloads are not available anymore.

Or let us know how to compile from source.. I tried with gcc on OSX but am getting some errors.. I'm not a C guy so it's a bit over my head.

Or could someone PM me the compiled latest version. Thanks!

I have a quick question. I'm using G750JX from ASUS and it's using AMI UEFI bios.. considering that the warning is not to try this on a laptop, is that still valid with the latest UEFI bios for laptops from ASUS?

Thanks everyone.. 

SPeCTRo

SPeCTRo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello,

i tried to make Hackintosh with my Z87-G45 gamming MSI motherboard and i would to flash my bios but PMPATCH is no longer available with the link give in the first topic of this post.

Can you send me a valid link ?

Thanks a lot.

(i'm french guy sorry for my english)

CodeRush

CodeRush

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired Developers
  • 439 posts

It was not me who removed binaries, it's a bug on sendspace side, but I think it's time to drop PMPatch 0.5 support at once and make a new version based on UEFITool code base.

It's a hard times for me now because of my new job and final stages of my master thesis, but I think this new PMPatch will soon be ready.

I have reuploaded Windows build, OSX will be ready soon.

tolga9009

tolga9009

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi there,

First, thank you guys for your efforts! I appreciate everything you've done for the community!

I'm using a P8C WS with BIOS 3601, which has the infamous BIOS security lock. To date, I haven't found a solution to flash the pmpatched 3601 BIOS over my actual one - my mainboard refuses to flash via EZ Flash (Security verification failed), doesn't offer USB Flashback (only Crashfree BIOS, which is actually EZ Flash - there is a mysterious ASUS_USBFLASHBACK module in MMTool, but obviously there is no documentation for P8C WS, also it's lacking the Flashback button) and it has the BIOS security lock, so FTK isn't working aswell.

One of the methods I've tried, was flashing the oldest 3xxx BIOS available (which is 3010) and trying to flash via FTK to pmpatched 3601. This works, because BIOS Security Lock was introduced in BIOS 3108. But it still leaves me with a weird BIOS interface, which has many hidden, unfunctional menus enabled. So, I flashed stock 3601 BIOS over the FTK-flashed one and have a fully working, stock BIOS again.

Still, I'm wondering, if flashing a pmpatched 3601 over a stock 3601 will work better. However, this is not possible atm, since the BIOS security lock is enabled. Now, I found CodeRush's post (I'm referring to http://www.insanelym...33#entry1944166) about disabling BIOS lock. Should I try this, or are there currently any better methods (or projects in the works), I'm not aware of? Couldn't resigning the modified BIOS and flashing it with EZ Flash be an option (or what does the security verification of EZ Flash do at all)? Haven't found any public methods for signing BIOSes though.

k3nny

k3nny

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Hi tolga9009,

it should make no difference at all, if you have an unmodified BIOS or one with a patched PowerManagement module. Except for the locked 0xE2 register of course.

In case you plan to flash a locked BIOS multiple times, you might find it more comfortable to use the "gan" switch or to change the "BIOS Lock" setting with AMIBCP.

CodeRush

CodeRush

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired Developers
  • 439 posts

tolga9009, thanks. 

I have another proposal for you: use AMIBCP utility to modify your newest BIOS so, that BIOS Security meny becomes open, flash it from old BIOS with FTK, and then you can go there, disable BIOS lock, flash any new/modified BIOS with FTK, and the enable the lock again. 

tolga9009

tolga9009

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Thanks for the fast replies k3nny and CodeRush!

@k3nny: that's what I thought, too. But for some odd reason, flashing a whole BIOS with FTK gives me those extra menus. Flashing my BIOS using the "gan" switch did nothing - I got the Updating BIOS notice and success messages after flashing my modded BIOS with afuwinx64. However, after a reboot (full shutdown, 30sec wait, boot), there were absolutely no changes. Verifying the BIOS by reading it with afuwinx64 and patching it again with PMPatch showed me, that nothing was changed (no "Nothing to do" message). Additionally, in RWEverything, MSR 0xE2 Bit 15 was set. So definitely nothing changed. My motherboard seems really "special"...

@CodeRush: flashing BIOS with FTK gives me a weird outcome. Will this procedure also work or will it probably brick my board?

1. Flash 3010 - BIOS Lock removed

2. AMIBCP - unlock Stock 3601's BIOS Security Menu

3. Flash modified 3601 BIOS using FTK and disable 3601's BIOS Lock

4. Modify another copy of a stock (.CAP file, not read via afuwinx64) 3601 BIOS with PMPatch

5. Flash MSR 0xE2 unlocked BIOS CAP file via afuwinx64 under Windows (flashrom under Arch Linux, if afuwinx64 doesn't work again)

I'd really like to avoid those unfunctional menus, which occured after flashing my BIOS with FTK. I think there are some minor incompabilities between FTK and my mainboard.

CodeRush

CodeRush

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired Developers
  • 439 posts

You can't flash anything modified with AMI tools, regardless of BIOS Lock switch, but you can dump your "normal" BIOS with FTK, patch it and then flash back by FTK on BIOS with disabled locks, that way you will have normal but patched BIOS.

StoneTemplePilots

StoneTemplePilots

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Thanks for the fast replies k3nny and CodeRush!

5. Flash MSR 0xE2 unlocked BIOS CAP file via afuwinx64 under Windows (flashrom under Arch Linux, if afuwinx64 doesn't work again)

Flashing a ROM with capsule header using flashrom? Not recommended from my point of view.

Better dump, patch, flash with flashrom if it works, but starting flashrom -p internal -v >access.txt will produce

a nice file showing us if a flashrom flash would be potentially succesful.

Steve.net

Steve.net

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi all,

Firstly I would just like to say a big thank you to CodeRush for the great effort in constructing this program and taking the time to help us all with our related problems. I am hopeful the he or someone else here can help me solve mine. 

I am not usually one to ask for help, preferring to work things out on my own through searches, other people's responses and good old trial and error but this has had be stumped for a few days now and its driving me mad!!!  I feel like a bit of a goose as I know this should be so simple but I am just missing something and once you all tell me what it is I will kick myself over how silly it was I am sure.

Now I know this has been covered a few times already in this thread and the one over at tonymacx and I believe I have followed them down to the letter but to no avail... I have also look through the guide at biosrepo.wordpress.com too.

I simply can not get the bios to be patched using PMPatch at all.  Every time I follow the instructions of "Usage: pmpatch /path/to/original.bios /path/to/patched.bios" I have the command prompt report that " 'PMPatch is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

Here is the question: How can I get command prompt to recognize the command?

I have downloaded the compiled PMPatch from here, extracted it and placed it on my desktop along with the bios file.

I then enter the following:

C:\Users\Steve>PMPatch C:\Users\Steve\Desktop\P8Z77I-I-DELUXE-SI-1103.CAP C:\Users\Steve\Desktop\P8Z77I-I-DELUXE-SI-1103_PATCHED.CAP

Hit enter and get the PMPatch is not recognized response. So what am I missing/doing wrong?

I read the the most recent bios releases were further locked down so also tried with an older 801 bios I had saved but the command is still not recognized.  I don't think it's the file though as the command is not being recognized in the first place.

When I drag and drop the PMPatch application in to the command prompt window and hit enter it returns the PMPatch version number, tells me about the program and gives me the "Usage: PMPatch INFILE OUTFILE" to which I believe I have followed correctly but obviously haven't as the command is not not recognized.

I have even tried in OSX as outlined in the biosrepo guide but get "cannot execute binary file"

I am just about to give up on this as I am tearing my hair out. Please if anyone can help explain to me at what part I am am going wrong it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Steve

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,224 posts

Name the unpatched BIOS old.cap (it's easier to type)

1) Place the pmpatch executable and old.cap in the same folder.

2) Hold shift and right-click the folder, then click "Open command window here".

3) Enter pmpatch old.cap patched.cap

4) Watch the same messages that confuse the hell out of everybody who hasn't read the first post properly.

To execute pmpatch (and other binaries that aren't in /usr/bin) from terminal on OS X you need to do ./pmpatch

bavarianblessed

bavarianblessed

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi there! I saw a few posts ago that you are looking at developing a different utility to replace this but I thought I would go ahead and post my "PMPatch didn't work for me".

The motherboard is an MSi X79A-GD45 Plus, here is the output;

PMPatch 0.5.14
PowerManagement module at 00572030 not patched: Patch pattern not found.
PowerMgmtDxe/PowerManagement2.efi modules not found.
AMI nest modules not found.
Phoenix nest modules not found.
CpuPei module at 007A34E8 not patched: Patch pattern not found.

I have attached the stock BIOS and the AIDA report on my board. Let me know if I can provide you with anymore information  :)

Attached Files

k3nny

k3nny

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

@bavarianblessed:

Use RWEverything instead. Take a look at the CPU MSR window and add register 0xE2. If bit 15 is 1, then you have a lock. If it is 0, you are lucky and won't need PMPatch.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: BIOS, patch, power management, UEFI

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2017 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy