[UEFIPatch] UEFI patching utility

CodeRush
1,981 posts in this topic

Any ideas about the above, CodeRush??

Cheers!

UPDATE:

Looking more into the issue, I can make a bios backup with AFU and read it with FD44Editor, the uuid and serials are still there, but the DMI data is still generic. I tried again with SMBCFG and could edit everything, even the UUID but the UUID doesn't survive a reboot. All the other info does.

Opening the same file with AMIBCP, I can see that in the DMI table, all the values are generic. Maybe the FD44 module is just for UEFI???

el_charlie, you can still update your values with AMIDEWIN, no urgent need for FD44Editor.

For example my board has:

(/SU)System UUID             R    Done   "ABCDE68CF1D7DD11DCBA10ABCDBC49BEh" (last 8 digits are network macaddress, watch next line)

(/OS)OEM string         #1   R    Done   "10ABCDBC49BE"

(/BSH)Baseboard Serial numberR    Done   "MT70CCC167DDD75"

(/BS)Baseboard Serial number R    Done   "MT70CCC167DDD75"

el_charlie, you can still update your values with AMIDEWIN, no urgent need for FD44Editor.

For example my board has:

(/SU)System UUID             R    Done   "ABCDE68CF1D7DD11DCBA10ABCDBC49BEh" (last 8 digits are network macaddress, watch next line)

(/OS)OEM string         #1   R    Done   "10ABCDBC49BE"

(/BSH)Baseboard Serial numberR    Done   "MT70CCC167DDD75"

(/BS)Baseboard Serial number R    Done   "MT70CCC167DDD75"

AMIDEWIN won't work on Windows 8.1 so I use AMIDEDOS, I can generate an UUID with /SU AUTO and says done, but when I reboot, it becomes FFFFFFFF-FFFFF-FFF-FFFFFF.

Cheers!

AMIDEWIN won't work on Windows 8.1 so I use AMIDEDOS, I can generate an UUID with /SU AUTO and says done, but when I reboot, it becomes FFFFFFFF-FFFFF-FFF-FFFFFF.

Cheers!

amidewin works on windows8.1 flawlessly, I run it on 8.1

try this one > http://rghost.net/53313836 pass mdl-team

use admin-cmd

amidewin works on windows8.1 flawlessly, I run it on 8.1

try this one > http://rghost.net/53313836 pass mdl-team

use admin-cmd

Well, I'm screwed. Issuing amidewinx64 /all returns my values, but trying for example amidewinx64 /su "my UUID", or /OS 1 "my mac address" freezes the computer.

I really don't now what to do.

By looking at the /all command, my type 12 table is screwed. Says "invalid".

Also the Oem strings (type 11) contains a lot of jibberish.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Changing a value that I could change on DOS, like the SKU# (/sk) also freezes my laptop. :'(

Well, I'm screwed. Issuing amidewinx64 /all returns my values, but trying for example amidewinx64 /su "my UUID", or /OS 1 "my mac address" freezes the computer.

I really don't now what to do.

By looking at the /all command, my type 12 table is screwed. Says "invalid".

Also the Oem strings (type 11) contains a lot of jibberish.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Changing a value that I could change on DOS, like the SKU# (/sk) also freezes my laptop. :'(

as you can see above UUID need to be closed as hex: ABCDE68CF1D7DD11DCBA10ABCDBC49BEh

I'm sure mac address can't be set on your laptop, that's just as it works on my P8Z77-V LX with my Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (PHY: Realtek RTL8211/8212).

Use your real mac address in UUID and don't set /OS1 with amidewin

as you can see above UUID need to be closed as hex: ABCDE68CF1D7DD11DCBA10ABCDBC49BEh

I'm sure mac address can't be set on your laptop, that's just as it works on my P8Z77-V LX with my Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (PHY: Realtek RTL8211/8212).

Use your real mac address in UUID and don't set /OS1 with amidewin

Using the "h" at the end gives me an invalid error and doesn't save. Without it the laptop freezes.

Cheers!

​if you upload your bios dump I can check it out in detail and, pm me your uuid and serial if you still have it

There you go, good sir. I don't have the MB serial, but I can PM you the laptop serial number and the MAC address.

PS: Now AMIDEDOS also freezes when saving the UUID :(

PPS: How can I clear the CMOS on a laptop? That's the only thing I haven't done. I don't want to open the laptop to remove the battery.

Cheers!

U46SV.ROM.zip

I'm having trouble parching my BIOS.

This is what I get when I run PMPatch.exe as system admin:

PMPatch 0.5.14
PowerManagement modules not found.
PowerMgmtDxe/PowerManagement2.efi modules not found.
AMI nest modules not found.
Phoenix nest modules not found.
CpuPei module at 00767028 not patched: Patch pattern not found.

I'm trying to flash an ASUS Sabertooth 990fx R2.0 bios using the latest bios version 2104 to run Mavericks.

I'm uploading the BIOS.2104.zip

please help. I'm green when it comes to patching BIOS's so if I have to do it manually, a good handholding would be deaply appreciated.

Code and Mr. Light,

I've had the chance to be in touch with someone from ASUS, I've discussed the MSR 0xE2 lock and also the PCI voltage issues. The guy passed to their WS dev team the information to review it. Could you detail me a little bit more about the Voltage changes (is it only the PCI slots ?, or other things ?) so I can maybe give them more information.

Maybe this could pave the way for a native MSR unlocked bios and proper PCI voltage controls for the Z9PE-D8 board.

EDIT : Sorry guys, I keep on mixing threads and forums... Voltages weren't discussed around here.

Thanks in advance guys,

A.

Hey there,

First off: Thanks for your great work on this! Unlocked MSR and NVRAM are really cool. :)

PMPatch went well (didn't flash yet, however) and I went on to NVRAM patch. This one worries me a little, as the pattern was found in two different modules. So far I only replaced it in the module by the GUID of "842A454A-75E5-408B-8B1C-36420E4E3F21" as this one was mentioned earlier in the thread as the cause of the lock. The other module containing the pattern is one by the GUID "5AE3F37E-4EAE-41AE-8240-35465B5E81EB". Both modules don't have a name, so I'm extremely unsure what to do about the last one.

Also, my OEM does not provide any UEFI updates or files, so, the "Original.ROM" file attached in the zip-file (together with the PM-only and PM-and-NVRAM-patched ROMs) has been extracted with the Aptio Flash Utility. As I read before that the mininum size of such an UEFI ROM is 4MB, and this is only 3MB "small", I would be endlessly thanksful if you could have a look at it and see if it looks alright (of course you can't guarantee validity, but I guess a proven UEFI modder "has an eye" for such things :) ). My board is not widely used, so getting a original or a patched ROM from the Internet is nearly impossible. That other tools such as the DPCIManager failed to read the firmware worries me even more.

Here some data:

Board: MS-7797 by MSI

Firmware: AMI Aptio v. 2.15.1227

Firmware name: M7797W08.209

Aaand finally the ROMs: http://1drv.ms/1gBJSiA

If you need any further information, please let me know. I can't even explain how thankful I would be if you would look into it :)

Have a nice day!

@Download-Fritz:

The NVRAM patch a few pages back was a test and turned out not to be working well. Most likely you won't be able to boot any OS if you use it.

For the PMPatch I would recommend you to use Intel's Flash Programming Tool instead of AFUWIN. Chances that something goes wrong should be lower.

I attached an archive with several versions including DOS, in case you don't have any Windows installed on your machine. The commands are:

Read BIOS region and save to bios.backup file

fpt.exe -D bios.backup -BIOS
Read bios.mod file and flash to BIOS region

fpt.exe -F bios.mod -BIOS

fpt_8.1.40.1456.zip

• Like 1

Thank you very much @k3nny!

Well, if I'm not completely mistaken there were people to have suceeded, weren't there? Well, I hope that this will be solved also. I would test ideas, but this is my main machine and I can't really afford losing it. :S

Also thanks for the tool... I should rather use the EFI boot loader environment, shouldn't I? Or is Windows just fine?

Well, I thought I saw a positive feedback in an other thread, but even IF there was some, I won't find the thread again. Well, I rather guess I messed sth up. Anyways, will flash in DOS mode in the evening, but I still would be very pleased if anyone could check the PM-patched ROM for validity, cuz as I said, I think it's possible that the original is not complete. Thanks in advance once more!

Your previous dump should be fine. It can be opened without errors in UEFITool/MMTool. Don't worry about the size, you got the BIOS region only and not the whole content of the ROM.

Just in case I would do another dump with fpt and use it instead of the one made with AFUWIN. Most probably they will be identical.

Anyway, it is important that you flash only the BIOS region, which is ensured by the command above.

Are you sure the Intel tool is better? The files are the exact same sizes, but hashes do NOT match.

EDIT1: I created another dump with AFU and yet there's another checksum... does it include the time when it was extracted somehow? :S

EDIT2: EDIT 1 solved.

To me all three dumps seem valid. They have some differences, but it appears they all affect non-permanent settings.

I would recommend you to stick with ftk and to use it for both reading and writing.

Capsule headers don't affect you, they are used on BIOS files to ensure only original files from the manufacturer can be written to the ROM.

EDIT: Neither are they written to the ROM, so you won't be able to read one out.

Edited by k3nny

Well it turns out that the WS FW team at ASUS said to the guy that :

- They can't change the PCI Voltages, otherwise they will have to re-engeneer everything on the board BIOS wise. I don't know it it's {censored} or not but the answer was no.
- Regarding the MSR 0xE2, it's an intel requirement to have it locked so the answer is again no.

Could you guys help me with the BIOS ?

Thank you in advance!

A.

@Arkanis:

I read your previous posts again and as far as I understand you cannot flash the modified BIOS? Try the method I described a few posts earlier (link).

To summarize: 1. Backup using fpt, 2. Patch with PMPatch, 3. Flash using fpt.

You can find more information about fpt in post #4.

EDIT: I'm not sure fpt will work with your board. If it doesn't, you can try using flashrom instead.

Edited by k3nny