[UEFIPatch] UEFI patching utility

CodeRush
1,981 posts in this topic

zhuzhu881, are you sure this BIOS is locked? I see no locking code in PowerMgmtDxe driver of that BIOS.

Hi CodeRush,

thank you for replying.

honestly, i don't know if it is locked

I just facing issue when trying to install 10.9.2 on my PC.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/297567-help-the-booting-stop-in-root-device-uuid-is-uuid/

i am sorry if i make any trouble here.

honestly, i don't know if it is locked

Hey, why don't you read the forums a little bit. its been stated 1000 times over that gigabyte BIOS is not locked...

Whatever issues you are having are off topic here. start a new thread (as you did) or... you know, read the forums and find the right issue discussions.

good luck,

g\

Hey, why don't you read the forums a little bit. its been stated 1000 times over that gigabyte BIOS is not locked...

Whatever issues you are having are off topic here. start a new thread (as you did) or... you know, read the forums and find the right issue discussions.

good luck,

g\

Sorry about that.

this one most likely

Thanks man - got a bit further now, although have run into:

Error 280: Failed to disable write protection for the BIOS space!

The version of BIOS I have is 0511, which is the 2nd oldest available to download from the ASUS site. Other people running into this error have been downgrading the BIOS. I don't have the option of flashback unfortunately. Any way around this BIOS lock?

Cheers.

@r0nnybums:

Carefully read the first post to the end. All you need to successfully patch your BIOS is there.

Sorry k3nny - I honestly have read it but didn't again after this latest issue.

So I've tried:

afuwinx64 bios.bin /o
 +---------------------------------------------------------------------------+

|                     AMI Firmware Update Utility  v4.40                    |

|      Copyright (C)2009 American Megatrends Inc. All Rights Reserved.      |

- Error: Loading driver

<Press Any Key....>

and have also put AFUDOS.exe on to a bootable DOS USB drive. Running

AFUDOS /oBIOS.bin

just hangs and I have to hard reboot.

Bit retisent to use the

afuwinx64 bios-pmpatched.bin /gan

command with the patched version of the BIOS I got off the ASUS website if I can't even do a backup in the first place, plus lightservers instructions do advise using the patched backup.

EDIT:

Fixed the issue with the AFUWINx64 version - only to be given a new error:

|                     AMI Firmware Update Utility  v4.40                    |

|      Copyright (C)2009 American Megatrends Inc. All Rights Reserved.      |

- Error: Flash part is not supported

<Press Any Key....>

Run from an administrator cmd prompt btw.

Any advice appreciated. Cheers.

zhuzhu881, are you sure this BIOS is locked? I see no locking code in PowerMgmtDxe driver of that BIOS.

On the same subject, I put together a Xeon E5-1650v2 (6/12 cores Ivy Bridge) on an Asus P9X79 WS with latest genuine Bios (4601) and can confirm that there is no lock.

I installed the 4601 bios from asus website with EZflash, made a backup with afudos and PMPatch could not find any trace of a lock in this backup bios.

Just installed 10.9.2 with MyHack, removed NullCPUPM and Voilà: it boots ok. :thumbsup_anim:

So just to get this straight.....

I am currently on BIOS 2203, and want to go to the latest 2303, do I need to goto 2303 stand BIOS first, or just do the below procedure?

1. SCEWIN_64 /o /s nvram.txt /h Hii.db /v /q whilst booted in windows 64 bit to create the nvram.txt file.

2. Send the nvram.txt file to you to do the edits, so I know it's done correct.

3. run SCEWIN_64 /i /s nvram.txt in Windows which writes in back to the bios and removes the current protection on my board.

4. Use PMPatch to patch 2303 BIOS (latest one)

5. Use FTK to flash BIOS to patched 2303.

6. Cross fingers and hope for the best!

Hi LightServer, I am at last going to give this a shot...

Is the above still the up-to-date method for an Asus P8Z77-V LX with Bios 2203 wanting to goto Bios version 2403, yes they've just updated it again.

Kind regards.

Hi LightServer, I am at last going to give this a shot...

Is the above still the up-to-date method for an Asus P8Z77-V LX with Bios 2203 wanting to goto Bios version 2403, yes they've just updated it again.

Kind regards.

Hi speedyrazor,

yes it still works. remove bios lock and bios interface lock with sce after upgrading to 2403 from uefi (ezflash).

I'm already using it.

bR

• Like 1

Hi LightServer, sorry to ask for a procedure again, but I am currently on 2203 modified Bios. Could you quickly list an idiots guide please.

Do I update to 2403 standard BIOS first using a standard bios update method in the bios, then boot windows and run the sce, send you the file to kindly modify, then use sce to place your modified bios back, then I need to use pmpatch to patch bios 2403, then use ftk to flash this modified bios back?

Just as a backup, when I update my Bios to 2403 and extract nvram.txt, I would like to send it to you so you could correctly edit it, if you kindly could, in the meantime could I install AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.kext somehow so I could continue to use my Mavericks 10.9.2, or if something goes wrong and I am stuck on a non patched Bios?

Actually, what would be easier for me is to do is run scewin on my current patched 2203 bios and send you the nvram.txt file for editing, scewin it back to the board, so I have an unlocked patched 2203, then just pmpatch a patched 2403 bios to the board. Would this work, as this wont impede on my workflow.

UPDATE: just tried to run SCEWIN_64 /o /s nvram.txt /h Hii.db /v /q but get this error:

C:\Users\kev\Desktop\SCEWIN>SCEWIN_64 /o /s nvram.txt /h Hii.db /v /q

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
|       Copyright ©2012 American Megatrends, Inc.               |
|       AMISCE Utility. Ver 2.02.1036                                        |
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

LoadDeviceDriver returned false
ERROR:1 Unable to load Driver

Sorry for the ramblings.....

Kind regards.

lightServer, that makes sense, so could I just run scewin on my current patched 2203 bios and send you the nvram.txt file for editing, scewin it back to the board, so I have an unlocked patched 2203, then just pmpatch a patched 2403 bios to the board. Would this work, as this wont impede on my workflow?

lightServer, that makes sense, so could I just run scewin on my current patched 2203 bios and send you the nvram.txt file for editing, scewin it back to the board, so I have an unlocked patched 2203, then just pmpatch a patched 2403 bios to the board. Would this work, as this wont impede on my workflow?

yes you can, attach it here as upload, I'll edit it for you. but the better method is still updating to 2403, then dump nvram.txt, upload, flash back the modified one.

• Like 1

yes you can, attach it here as upload, I'll edit it for you. but the better method is still updating to 2403, then dump nvram.txt, upload, flash back the modified one.

Many thanks for this. File attached. This is the 2203 Bios nvram.txt from my Asus P8Z77-V LX.

So on the return of the edited nvram.txt file....

1. in Windows use SCEWIN_64 /i /s nvram.txt which writes it back to the board.

2. Reboot

3. Boot DOS and use FTK to flash an already patched 2403 bios file to the board.

4. On reboot, reset Bios and enjoy! (Hopefully)

Kind regards.

nvram.txt

Many thanks for this. File attached. This is the 2203 Bios nvram.txt from my Asus P8Z77-V LX.

So on the return of the edited nvram.txt file....

1. in Windows use SCEWIN_64 /i /s nvram.txt which writes it back to the board.

2. Reboot

3. Boot DOS and use FTK to flash an already patched 2403 bios file to the board.

4. On reboot, reset Bios and enjoy! (Hopefully)

Kind regards.

voila, flash back using

SCEWIN_64 /i /s nvram.txt

and reboot, then all magic has been done,

now you can use Intel FPT or flashrom from linux.

nvram.txt

Thats Excellent, many thanks.

Can I use the FTK method, which I have used before, posted here: http://biosrepo.wordpress.com/ to flash with a PMPatched 2403 Bios back?

Kind regards.

the syntax with ftk (flash toolkit) which is correctly labeled intel flash part toolkit is

dump: fpt -d bios.bin

flashback: fpt -rewrite -f bios-patched.bin

but before you flash anything! Why didn't you upgrade to 2403 before dumping nvram.txt?

What are you gonna flash now? However I'd create a dump or you'll maybe loose your smbios settings ;)

Regarding the biosrepo thread, look at the date at the bottom:

outdated.png

No up2date info there, but it was useful before ASUS locked their ROMs.

the syntax with ftk (flash toolkit) which is correctly labeled intel flash part toolkit is

dump: fpt -d bios.bin

flashback: fpt -rewrite -f bios-patched.bin

but before you flash anything! Why didn't you upgrade to 2403 before dumping nvram.txt?

Waht are you gonna flash now?

Ahh, maybe I have misunderstood. I want to goto 2403 patched Bios, but can't as my current patched bios 2303, is protected. So if I flash the nvram.txt file back with SCEWin, I can then flash my Bios suing FTK with a PMPatched 2403 Bios? Or have I misunderstood?

Ahh, maybe I have misunderstood. I want to goto 2403 patched Bios, but can't as my current patched bios 2303, is protected. So if I flash the nvram.txt file back with SCEWin, I can then flash my Bios suing FTK with a PMPatched 2403 Bios? Or have I misunderstood?

read again carefully! no mather if it's protected, we'll crack the egg again.

read again carefully! no mather if it's protected, we'll crack the egg again.

I am sorry, the this Asus P8Z77-V LX is one I use constantly in production, so this is why I am being cautious, the second I upgrade the Bios to 2403 standard I will not be able to boot Mavericks 10.9.3, so want to be 100% sure I can quickly get it back up and running with a patched 2403.

So if I upgrade to 2403 standard boot to windows, dump the nvram.txt, end it to you for edit, you send it back, the next section I am sorry, but am still not sure about, could be please be very simple explanation step by step please, I would be very grateful.

Kind regards.

I am sorry, the this Asus P8Z77-V LX is one I use constantly in production, so this is why I am being cautious, the second I upgrade the Bios to 2403 standard I will not be able to boot Mavericks 10.9.3, so want to be 100% sure I can quickly get it back up and running with a patched 2403.

So if I upgrade to 2403 standard boot to windows, dump the nvram.txt, end it to you for edit, you send it back, the next section I am sorry, but am still not sure about, could be please be very simple explanation step by step please, I would be very grateful.

Kind regards.

Ok, I just think about it everytime: you should not loose your smbios data, that's why I meant to upgrade from ezflash in uefi, then dump nvram.txt with sce and we'll unlock it again.