Proper mouse tracking under OSX is live!

mouse

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

bbeepp

bbeepp

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Here is a New Year's gift from some talented devs:
http://smoothmouse.com/

If you miss proper mouse tracking behaviour like in Linux or Windows and you feel there is something wrong when using mouse under OS X this solution is for you.

ludacrisvp

ludacrisvp

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
not sure what the 'proper' tracking behavior is that you talk about here.
I haven't had any issues on my real macs or my hacks.

bbeepp

bbeepp

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
You should read this if you don't know what I mean:
http://d43.me/blog/1...use-annoyances/

andrek

andrek

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
And I have to register on the forum just to download it? No, thanks...
Also, how does it work with custom VoodooPS2 kexts?

DarwinX

DarwinX

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
I am unsure if the SmoothMouse offers any actual improvements over the existing native OS X cursor tracking, but it does look interesting.

Attached File  SmoothMouse 1.0.3.pkg.zip   431.51KB   112 downloads
Attached File  SmoothMouse 1.0.3.prefPane.zip   516.06KB   64 downloads
Attached File  SmoothMouse 1.0.3.kext.zip   13.3KB   50 downloads

npwski

npwski

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
beep, Thank you very much for this news. This is long-awaited solution. Cursor behaviour in Mac was unacceptable for me - very big annoyance.

bbeepp

bbeepp

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

I am unsure if the SmoothMouse offers any actual improvements over the existing native OS X cursor tracking, but it does look interesting.

Somebody may not notice (the lag) this but some yes and this is a big issue for us. If you require precise control in some apps or games this solution is a real game changer. Even Apple developers admited that there is a issue that makes cursor laggy on OS X but did nothing to resolve this.

edit: The lag is more visible when you are using PVA or IPS based LCD display. TN based ones has quicker response time and thus it is less visible.

And there is an option that should be default in OS X - linear mouse movement. I haven't got used to acceleration tracking (Enable cursor precision option) even in Windows and default OS X one is even worse.

nofearl

nofearl

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

And I have to register on the forum just to download it? No, thanks...
Also, how does it work with custom VoodooPS2 kexts?

http://bugmenot.com/...smoothmouse.net

maximus

maximus

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:Everything IT related, Hi-Fi audio, good books
Just installed this on 10.8.2 and WOW what a change. Mouse now moves like it should. Thanks for this!

beta992

beta992

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
Is it opensource?

bbeepp

bbeepp

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Is it opensource?

No, it's not. Maybe some day :)

subxero

subxero

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I don't get anyone not noticing the tracking difference in OSX as opposed to other OS's. Apple made it clear a long time ago that their tracking control is way more innovative and intuitive than other OS's. So the difference was intentional and therefore, noticeable. It is the one thing I have always hated about Macs. That and their unergonomic mouse designs which are designed for people with small hands and delicate fingers. Wherever I have had to work on a Mac, I have always replaced the Apple mouse with a generic USB mouse. The way Apple designed the movements is based on how fast you swipe the mouse as to how far the cursor travels. This results in the typical Mac user swiping like a lunatic to get places.

When did a USB replacement mouse get the tracking sorted? I have lost track ... Back in the days of Tiger/L/SL , I used to use a PS2 kext specifically to use the PS2 port to get normal tracking. (USB used to give 'normal' Apple tracking) Only after reading this article, have I realized that that the tracking I get from my natively supported wireless Microsoft mouse is 'normal' as in the same tracking used in Windows & Linux. Little things like this make the world of a difference.

RehabMan

RehabMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,107 posts
  • Interests:skiing, software, classic cars
I tried this and it is better than the default tracking, but it doesn't play nice with KeyRemap4MacBook, so it is a dead-end for me. Too bad it is not open source so it could potentially be fixed. Maybe there is a fix that could be done on the KeyRemap4MacBook side (it is open source), but it would probably be handy to look at the source for both to figure out what the conflict might be.

ameris_cyning

ameris_cyning

I don't know what to write here

• Donators
  • 956 posts
  • Interests:OSx86, female anatomy, electronic music, Clover EFI

Not open source. Enough said.

This

Sorry, but unless it is open source, I wont trust it if it is from the hackintosh community.

mschilling

mschilling

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
I'm trying this out, thanks! What's the diff between Linear and Windows acceleration curve?

bbeepp

bbeepp

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

I'm trying this out, thanks! What's the diff between Linear and Windows acceleration curve?

Linear makes cursor move exactly as your hand moves.
Windows acceleration curve behaves in similar way to default OS X mouse movement. It helps you to make quick and fast movements of cursor and very slow and precise ones. You have to try it yourself to feel the difference.

By the way. there is a new version which fixes some bugs and improves performance.

mschilling

mschilling

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
Thank you. I did the update and absolutely love the difference it makes! I'm using the Windows curve which seems to have some acceleration. One side effect I've noticed is that clicking the mouse does not wake my monitor from sleep anymore. They keyboard still works to wake, so I'm using that. Good app!!!

MacWill

MacWill

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Great performance from mouse. One suggestion: add snap to default button. Great app.
Thanks.

bbeepp

bbeepp

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

...One side effect I've noticed is that clicking the mouse does not wake my monitor from sleep anymore. They keyboard still works to wake, so I'm using that. Good app!!!

This is a known issue and being worked on.

Blame73

Blame73

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 80 posts
Just intelled on my 10.8.2 hack, and it's pretty useful!
Thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mouse

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy