[GUIDE] How to enable custom resolution for first-gen Intel HD Graphics (0042:8086 and 0046:8086)

iWin32

46 posts in this topic

I don't know much about the AppleIntelHDGraphics kexts (or kexts in general), except for that I have to delete them to make my system work :-) At the moment I'm using natit.kext which at least makes my screensaver work and probably some other stuff. Definitely not hardware accelerated. Natit/Titan are not drivers and only written to enable NVIDIA and ATI cards by manipulating the registry. It seems the project dates from 2006 but no development has been done since? It might be possible to add support for INTEL cards, the fact that my screensaver is working with it indicates that at least something can be achieved! Any thoughts?

Is it only the Flurry screensaver? I don't use Natit and I'm still able to use that screensaver. There is something called Apple Software Renderer and can be seen when using the OpenGL Extension Viewer. I think this is what Flurry is using to display its effects. I believe the other slideshow screensavers use Core Image because I can't use them. They're black.

As for Natit, I'm not really sure it would do anything for us. The only thing it does is that it identifies the Intel HD Graphics and displays its information in System Information. Its only adds cosmetic detail.

I feel that the main problem is not the AppleIntelHDGraphics kexts itself. I've compared those same kexts with Snow Leopard and they're all the same. Only minor verison differences. As you can see, you can't even get partial QE/CI in Lion nor in Mountain Lion, but you can in Snow Leopard. Not sure what kext is causing the issue.

Yes it is the Flurry screensaver, but without natit.kext I just get a white screen... I've been reading the https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CC4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.insanelymac.com%2Fforum%2Ftopic%2F284096-intel-hd-graphics-0x00468086-qeci-on-lenovo-x201%2F&ei=As3wUMTkOIWFiALNrIDwCw&usg=AFQjCNFot9OVtIGrx7FTFfN8CqOMcDyZRQ&bvm=bv.1357700187,d.cGE topic and it looks like it should be possible without to much effort. Some DSDT editing at least it seems.

Is it only the Flurry screensaver? I don't use Natit and I'm still able to use that screensaver. There is something called Apple Software Renderer and can be seen when using the OpenGL Extension Viewer. I think this is what Flurry is using to display its effects. I believe the other slideshow screensavers use Core Image because I can't use them. They're black.

As for Natit, I'm not really sure it would do anything for us. The only thing it does is that it identifies the Intel HD Graphics and displays its information in System Information. Its only adds cosmetic detail.

I feel that the main problem is not the AppleIntelHDGraphics kexts itself. I've compared those same kexts with Snow Leopard and they're all the same. Only minor verison differences. As you can see, you can't even get partial QE/CI in Lion nor in Mountain Lion, but you can in Snow Leopard. Not sure what kext is causing the issue.

I'm thinking it's a kernel issue for ML. For me, I can enable QE/CI as the guides say that I've linked to in OP, but when the Framebuffer Kext loads in Snow Leopard, I get the backlight/blank screen issue. However, when I use the kexts from Snow Leopard that enabled QE/CI on ML, I get a distorted and unusable screen, and it's like that also from VNC. If I load any framebuffer kext, the screen freezes in verbose mode, and when it exits, the screen becomes white. A few seconds later, the fans go crazy on my machine, and the system becomes unresponsive (I cannot connect to VNC at all). I'm thinking that Snow Leopard (as of now) is the best for acceleration until we work out what's going on in Mountain Lion. I plan to back up my Mountain Lion installation to an external drive, and then put Snow Leopard back on my internal drive. And as far as the Lenovo thread goes, either the framebuffer can pick up the LCD completely without any of our issues, or the OP found out some Apple OS-Info Values that make it work, but we don't know how to retrieve those values for us. Therefore, we can't make it work. I may start another thread on trying to enable QE/CI in ML on the Hardware -> Graphics Card forum, and when that happens, I'd prefer all acceleration discussion to take place in that thread and keep all resolution discussion in this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

My Response to what TonyMacx86 did to us...again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCDnYllrYhM

This may be for something else, but it describes how I feel right now!

Here's the sad proof: http://www.tonymacx8...resolution.html

Now I know first-hand how it feels when some people **cough-cough**TonyMacx86**cough-cough** rip offs people's work! Still no word, though, if it will be integrated into any TonyMacx86 project or not.

My Response to what TonyMacx86 did to us...again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCDnYllrYhM

This may be for something else, but it describes how I feel right now!

Here's the sad proof: http://www.tonymacx8...resolution.html

Now I know first-hand how it feels when some people **cough-cough**TonyMacx86**cough-cough** rip offs people's work! Still no word, though, if it will be integrated into any TonyMacx86 project or not.

I posted that thread in the TonyMacx86 lol. :rolleyes: That's officially me.

There were people on that site that still had hopes on getting their Intel HD Graphics to display native resolution. I decided to create a little tutorial there if there was anybody that was interested or maybe helping us out. I did give credit to you guys. I'm not sure if I can delete it though, but I will try to if you want me to.

Strangely nobody has even said if it works or not. Unless there aren't any 1st gen users anymore.

GhostRaider, I actually suspected that it may have been you when comparing your usernames on InsanelyMac and TonyMacx86...after I posted that! Sorry if I came off too strong. It's just that I know that he has ripped off people's work before and claimed it as his own. Furthermore, he isn't staying true to our Open Source license and releasing it under his own, more commercial-type license. I just don't want the same thing for olarian's and RemC's work. Like I said before in the OP, I'm not a programmer; I just compiled the guide and everything else in the OP. It was olarian who created the base patch that required you to insert the DTD into the source code, and RemC modified it to pick it up from the EDID reading functionality already in the code. In fact, more people have reported success with RemC's module than using my guide to compile their own, machine-specific module. Both methods happen to work for me. And, as far as deleting the post on TonyMacx86, I'd just leave it for now. The damage is, unfortunately, already done. The only way I'd know how to get the thread off of the site is to contact their forum mod, but doing so would put them in a position to steal from us anyways. And, I'm not sure how you're familiar with the rules on this Forum, but we really don't support TonyMacx86, and the rules classify him as a "commercial spin-off of the OSx86 scene". If you want more clarification on that, look at this: http://www.insanelym...ort-tonymacx86/

GhostRaider, I actually suspected that it may have been you when comparing your usernames on InsanelyMac and TonyMacx86...after I posted that! Sorry if I came off too strong. It's just that I know that he has ripped off people's work before and claimed it as his own. Furthermore, he isn't staying true to our Open Source license and releasing it under his own, more commercial-type license. I just don't want the same thing for olarian's and RemC's work. Like I said before in the OP, I'm not a programmer; I just compiled the guide and everything else in the OP. It was olarian who created the base patch that required you to insert the DTD into the source code, and RemC modified it to pick it up from the EDID reading functionality already in the code. In fact, more people have reported success with RemC's module than using my guide to compile their own, machine-specific module. Both methods happen to work for me. And, as far as deleting the post on TonyMacx86, I'd just leave it for now. The damage is, unfortunately, already done. The only way I'd know how to get the thread off of the site is to contact their forum mod, but doing so would put them in a position to steal from us anyways. And, I'm not sure how you're familiar with the rules on this Forum, but we really don't support TonyMacx86, and the rules classify him as a "commercial spin-off of the OSx86 scene". If you want more clarification on that, look at this: http://www.insanelym...ort-tonymacx86/

Oh okay I wasn't familiar with the situation of TonyMacX86. What I will be doing instead is redirect that thread over there to a new thread that I will create in InsanelyMac in the Graphics>Intel subforum. I won't care if they ban me there for doing that. I want to post an easy guide for new users here to read and to enable native resolution. Many users here are not familiar with hackintosh. Of course I will mention and give all credit to those who contributed as well. I am also gonna post something a bit interesting there as well. It's not really a breakthrough but it's somewhat similar to a discovery that I have made back in the days of Snow Leopard. B) Problem is that I am not sure if this requires editing the DSDT because I did modify it by injecting os-info,model, and vram. If so I will also post on how to do that.

I'm somwhat busy so the thread won't be up for a while. However I will upload images of what I'm talking about here when I have access to my hackintosh.

post-620531-0-66577900-1359698539_thumb.png

post-620531-0-25031800-1359698578_thumb.png

post-620531-0-94764600-1359698605_thumb.png

post-620531-0-02547100-1359698635_thumb.png

post-620531-0-80976200-1359698668_thumb.png

Hello everyone!

I have a problem. I'm using your Resolution folder with my DTD for desktop PC, ASUS 19" monitor to get 1440x900x32. I have intel i3 540 1st generation Clarkdale (Ironlake) with intel HD graphics. But when compile chameleon with 915resolution.c for my DTD I'm stuck with an error and don't get a Resolution.dylib file.

Here is the few last line of compile output:

================= Making all in Resolution =================
[MKDIR] /Users/cobra/Desktop/chameleon-imod/trunk/obj/i386/modules/Resolution
[CC] Resolution.c
[CC] edid.c
[CC] 915resolution.c
915resolution.c:279:17: error: variable 'type' is used uninitialized whenever
 'for' loop exits because its condition is false
 [-Werror,-Wsometimes-uninitialized]
...for (i = 0; i < sizeof(buses)/sizeof(buses[0]); i++)
			 ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
915resolution.c:295:9: note: uninitialized use occurs here
						 if (type != CT_UNKNOWN) {
							 ^~~~
915resolution.c:279:17: note: remove the condition if it is always true
...for (i = 0; i < sizeof(buses)/sizeof(buses[0]); i++)
			 ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
915resolution.c:132:2: note: variable 'type' is declared here
 chipset_type type;
 ^
1 error generated.
make[4]: *** [/users/cobra/Desktop/chameleon-imod/trunk/obj/i386/modules/Resolution/915resolution.o] Error 1
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

To GhostRaider, I think that's a swell idea! I hope that all goes well. And, to N3N4D, I'm not sure, but it likely is some sort of syntax error that occurred when you modified your DTD, like maybe a missing semicolon or something like that. Do me a favor, run

make clean

and try to compile it using the unmodified version of the attached Resolution folder. If it compiles without error, run this command:

make clean

and try modifying it again. If it then does the same error again, please post the portion you modified here. If, however, it displays an error with the unmodified folder, upload the error here like before, and you'll have to wait for someone with slightly more programming knowledge to help you out. AFAIK, although it has different timings, the unmodified folder uses 1440x900 resolution. In the mean time, did you try RemC's Resolution.dylib? It makes use of EDID reading capabilities already programmed into the module to insert the DTD on-the-fly, and therefore is universal.

I'm tried with unmodified version of Resolutions and it gave me exact the same error like with the modified for my specific DTD. Then I'm tried RemC's 915Resolution.c and h, the same error occurs. And his Resolution.dylib won't work for me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Resolution.dylib file needs to go here: MyHDD/Extra/Modules/Resolutin.dylib And change MyHDD/Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist

If anyone have some time please let it compile for me. This is my DTD: 9A 29 A0 D0 51 84 22 30 50 98 36 00 98 FF 10 00 00 1C

I'm really need correct Resolution.dylib file.

That is for 1440x900x32 resolution.

I'm always get the same error while compiling chameleon with your Resolution files, whatever I do.

So please, I will appreciate your time to spare on me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If anyone have some time please let it compile for me. This is my DTD: 9A 29 A0 D0 51 84 22 30 50 98 36 00 98 FF 10 00 00 1C

I'm really need correct Resolution.dylib file.

That is for 1440x900x32 resolution.

I'm always get the same error while compiling chameleon with your Resolution files, whatever I do.

So please, I will appreciate your time to spare on me.

Well, the resolution.dylib that was attached didn't work for me and I wanted to compile my own Resolution.dylib. Sadly, I'm run into the exact same problem as you do when compiling (the exact same error no matter which file I use), so if anyone else is willing to compile it for me too I would be extremely thankful!

My DTD is

BC 1B 56 84 50 00 16 30 30 20 14 00 35 AE 10 00 00 00

I'm installing it on a 2010 Dell Inspiron 14'' laptop with an i3-380m processor and 1st gen Intel HD Graphics that go with it (on a 1366x768x32 resolution).

Thanks a bunch!

• 3 months later...

hey guys i have a acer aspire 7741z-5731 used niresh 10.8.2 and 10.8.4 combo update. everything is working good, except no qe only ci works and resolution is at 1024x768. i am trying to use Remc patch but cant find modules folder in extras. also i have installed the kexts for CI from GhostRiders thread http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/286092-guide-1st-generation-intel-hd-graphics-qeci/. i couldnt get the Qe/CI one to work without getting a demos arrived hang.

can you all help me in installing remc's patch? and possible QE support. any other info your need i can provide. remeber now i am a newb :)