iMessage on Hackintosh Banned

dannymichel

79 posts in this topic

You don't know that it has been "banned". It just isn't working, probably due to most of us having impossible serial numbers and bogus system information. The fact that you can't login anymore doesn't mean they've banned Hackintoshes, it just means they've changed how the iMessage service validates device IDs, which could have any number of reasons for the change. Whatever they did doesn't affect Macs, but that's all they know they need to ensure works, right? Do you expect them to take into consideration that we have nonsense IDs for our Hacs?

• Like 4

You don't know that it has been "banned". It just isn't working, probably due to most of us having impossible serial numbers and bogus system information. The fact that you can't login anymore doesn't mean they've banned Hackintoshes, it just means they've changed how the iMessage service validates device IDs, which could have any number of reasons for the change. Whatever they did doesn't affect Macs, but that's all they know they need to ensure works, right? Do you expect them to take into consideration that we have nonsense IDs for our Hacs?

I dont blame Apple, but I'm sure this was a counter-measure

Do you have any evidence, at all, that this is a counter-measure, or is it just your opinion?

Apple has never given any indication what-so-ever that they care at all about hobbiests and home users with Hacs. They obviously don't support it, but this isn't like the jailbreak community using OS-level exploits to load unsigned code. They don't like people selling systems that aren't Macs running OS X, that has been made clear.

Just another opinion I guess. I don't believe that this "community" is a noble movement or that we're participating on some sort of rebellion. There is nothing for them to be interested in, which is precisely why they don't really care what they're doing with iMessage may affect Hacs in some way. Just seems like the more logical explanation to me.

Do you have any evidence, at all, that this is a counter-measure, or is it just your opinion?

Apple has never given any indication what-so-ever that they care at all about hobbiests and home users with Hacs. They obviously don't support it, but this isn't like the jailbreak community using OS-level exploits to load unsigned code. They don't like people selling systems that aren't Macs running OS X, that has been made clear.

Just another opinion I guess. I don't believe that this "community" is a noble movement or that we're participating on some sort of rebellion. There is nothing for them to be interested in, which is precisely why they don't really care what they're doing with iMessage may affect Hacs in some way. Just seems like the more logical explanation to me.

An inadvertent countermeasure then, which doesn't make and sense

It's a good job I keep the serial numbers of all my old Apple gear lying around... Simply changed the relevant settings in smbios.plist to include my very dead MBP's serial # and all is good.

Which settings did you change? I changed the serial number to one of my macbook pros but it didn't fix the problem. What properties in smbios.plist did you change?

• Like 1