Hackintosh laptop for Editing and VFX

Socratis

6 posts in this topic

Hello, I am new to the hackintosh world. I am a film studies student and I would like to build a hackintosh laptop basically for editing ( Final Cut Pro X and CS6 ) and some vfx - compositing (after effects , maya etc) . I have searched around the forums (here & elsewhere) but I haven't figured out if it a laptop is a hackintosh stable choise. I found several references for kernel panics or instability which could be a major problem for video editing which is heavy on resources. I have read here :

http://www.macbreaker.com/2012/03/four-best-hackintosh-laptops-for-2012.html

and ASUS G53JW - A1 seemed like a good choice. Fact is that a good GPU acceleration is need. I think nvidia is a good choice for both FCP and CS6.

So my questions are:

1) For about 1, 4000$ a hackintosh laptop is a good choise for the use mentioned? Or maybe I should think of desktop instead ?

2) Has anybody build - used anything for similar purposes ?

3) Do u believe that the asus laptop is a good choise

4) The NVIDIA GTX 460M is a good acceleration choice for both CS6 and FCP ?

Thank you for your time

PS Sorry for any language mistakes - English is not my first language

PS2 Excuss me if I have missed a forum topic that covers my questions. If that's true a link could be real helpfull

For the absolute best, most-stable, desktop is the way to go. Somewhere on the internet is the "perfect" desktop hackintosh setup, I don't know where it is, but I know it uses all custom parts, you have to build it, the motherboard is Gigabyte... I wish I could help you more, that's all I got!

I will say my Hackbook is able to run Final Cut Pro and the like, although you probably want something more powerful than the HD4000 for graphics.

• 3 weeks later...

I use my Thinkpad W520 to do exactly that. I use Avid Media Composer 6, FCP Studio 3, DaVinci Resolve 8, and the CS6 suite. They all run great and Mountain Lion is the better working OS on my computer. Snappier than Windows and Ubuntu.

• Like 1

I understand the beauty of mobility, but usually the amount of heat generated from a true professional video editing hackintosh can't be handled by a laptop. Depending on the amount of processed data, i see you say you are in 'studies' phase, maybe nvidia GPU can serve you but not for long. If you can't recycle your investment, better to go with a desktop.

• 4 months later...

@SimonLL - Hey I have been trying for a while now and just cannot get 10.8.X to load on my w520. I have 10.7.5 but would like to keep the laptop at the same level as my MacMini. Is there anything you can do to assist me in getting this working? It would be greatly appreciated.

SD

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@SimonLL - Hey I have been trying for a while now and just cannot get 10.8.X to load on my w520. I have 10.7.5 but would like to keep the laptop at the same level as my MacMini. Is there anything you can do to assist me in getting this working? It would be greatly appreciated.

SD

I'm +1 on this...having W520 for a while and would like to have MacOS running on it for IOS development. Any clue so far?

Thanks.