getcodecid - Command line tool to detect codec id

Andy Vandijck

124 posts in this topic

1002:aa90 = Turks/Whistler HDMI Audio

1002:aa01 ATI Function driver for High Definition Audio - (for the above)

sub-ven:1458:aa90 =  (the chip is branded by Giga-byte? if yes, nothing strange..)

Can you manually check the ioreg if all match using AppleHDA.kext?

ATI R6xx HDMI ? ({ HDA_CODEC_ATIR6XX, 0, "ATI R6xx HDMI" }

the ALSA driver say that is ok, but surely you can find discordance elsewhere, so who to listen? .. I don't know.

At least we can change to a "Generic HDMI ...bla bla" .... what really matters are the device id, description seem cause confusion.

• 7 months later...

Hi ErmaC

I have ALC269 and getcodecid doesnt detect it.

no audio codecs found!
Be sure to have AppleHDA or VoodooHDA somewere!

getdump of VoodooHDA shows it as:

Probing codec #0...
 HDA Codec #0: Realtek ALC269
 HDA Codec ID: 0x10ec0269
       Vendor: 0x10ec
       Device: 0x0269
     Revision: 0x00
     Stepping: 0x04
PCI Subvendor: 0x83ce1043

Can you add it please.

Thanks

I still have one more codec which is ALC662 that doesnt get detected too. il post the voodoohda's getdump later.

Edited by ellaosx

Hi ErmaC

I have ALC269 and getcodecid doesnt detect it.

no audio codecs found!
Be sure to have AppleHDA or VoodooHDA somewere!

getdump of VoodooHDA shows it as:

Probing codec #0...

Can you add it please.

Thanks

I still have one more codec which is ALC662 that doesnt get detected too. il post the voodoohda's getdump later.

its contains ALC269 and ALC662  as well , make sure AppleHDA or VoodooHDA is loaded by OSX 

its not being detected by getcodecid regardless one of them is loaded. im fully aware on how it works, so im sure one of them is loaded because getdump of VoodooHDA detects it, just not getcodecid

i haven't tested it with VoodooHDA just only with AppleHDA (unPatched) , so maybe Voodoo is a issue 

because getdump is builted among voodoohda, same project. So probably the info are stored in the ioreg in a different path with newer build...

need an update so if you can provide the ioreg...

• Like 1

how could it be an issue of getdump of voodoohda if it detects it but not getcodecid. its surely lacking the codec revision or something in getcodecid.h. i just dont know how to add it

i'm not saying its an issue of getDump , i never tested this with VoodooHDA , 

however this is already presented in source that's what I'm saying 

Probing codec #0...

let @micky will do better 

There's no need to a codec/device id to be present in the source. why? because is the driver that detect it. We only read what is published in the IO. If the codec is defined in the source then we will see a known codec.. otherwise we will see an unknown codec. Anyway it should print ids.

@ellaosx, any other Systems that is not Snow to try with getcodecid + vodoohda?

PS Just installed voodoohda.kext from Slice branch .. and getcodecid works as expected (wow is the first time that a voodooHDA works on my lappy..).

EDIT

We are using NSRegularExpression class that is only supported in 10.7+, can't work on Snow. And just for your curiosity this part of code:

if(IOConnectMapMemory64(connect, 0x2000, mach_task_self(), &address, &size, kIOMapAnywhere|kIOMapDefaultCache)==KERN_SUCCESS){

NSString *dump = [[NSString alloc] initWithBytes: (const void *)address length: (NSInteger)size encoding:NSUTF8StringEncoding];

*dump produce the same exactly output of getDump, and is used by NSRegularExpression to be parsed and retrieve all info.. so.. just an OS incompatibility with newer code.

I can try to do differently, but 10.6 is very old (7 years?)

@ellaosx, any other Systems that is not Snow to try with getcodecid + vodoohda?

from my previous post:

This one runs on SL too….I will try to use Lion+ on this one and check if the theory is right :D

Ill update you later.

Thanks Mickey1979  :thumbsup_anim:

Hi Mickey1979

I still dont have the result of the above (ALC662) as i am still at work.

For the meantime, i noticed something on the ALC269.

1.If voodoohda is installed, getdump works but not GETCODECID.

2. If patched AppleHDA is installed, GETCODECID works, but not getdump.

Weird isnt it?

how to debug this:

bash-3.2# /Users/Ella/Desktop/DarwinDumper_v2.9.9.2/DarwinDumper.app/Contents/Resources/Tools/getcodecid 
Segmentation fault: 11
bash-3.2# 
bash-3.2# uname -a
Darwin Ellas-iMac 15.3.0 Darwin Kernel Version 15.3.0: Thu Dec 10 18:40:58 PST 2015; root:xnu-3248.30.4~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64
bash-3.2# 

Here is the scenario...

I have 2 identical haswell computer. Only diff is, one uses nvidia gpu while the other one is using the igpu (hd4600). both running exactly the same OS version 10.11.4.

Getcodecid runs ok on the comp with a nvidia gpu. the comp which uses hd4600 has the segmentation fault issue.

i will try to plug the nvidia gpu on the comp that has issue later and see if this will make any diff lol.

would that make sense?

Yes, 'breakpoint':

post-674334-0-17478800-1461414588_thumb.png

never hearned? ;)

do as in the pict:

post-674334-0-53930400-1461415093_thumb.png

Now I need that you run getcodecid from xcode and show me some error on the PC that have problem running it.. :D ... something should be logged somewere..

@ellaosx, can I have the output from getDump?

• Like 1