Driver for LSI MegaRAID SAS family

dukzcry

402 posts in this topic

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I was wondering if this kext will work with OS X 10.9.2 on a Z87 motherboard and a Dell Perc 5i 8 port card. I don't really need RAID - just a good solid SATA controller.

It works fine at OS X 10.9.x with Perc 5. This card provides RAID mode only, but you can just make RAIDs consisting of single drives, so you'll able to achieve your goal.

I just found out that the Perc 5/i doesnt work with drives over 2tb.  Do you know if any of these controllers work with 3 and 4 tb drives and have a JBOD mode?

Most modern do. See: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285197-driver-for-lsi-megaraid-sas-family/?p=1950974 Recheck if JBOD is supported on the controller of your future choice, but usually it is.

ok. Thanks for the advice.  I think the Dell H310 has a jbod mode (On the data sheet. they call it pass through) and from the link you supplied, it seems to work with 2tb+ drives.  My disks are already formatted (HFS journaled) and full of data.  Do you think it will be viable to use it as an 8 port SATA controller in this way?  I can get two of them for less than the price of a new Areca ARC 1320 8i.

• 2 weeks later...

ok. Thanks for the advice. I think the Dell H310 has a jbod mode (On the data sheet. they call it pass through) and from the link you supplied, it seems to work with 2tb+ drives. My disks are already formatted (HFS journaled) and full of data. Do you think it will be viable to use it as an 8 port SATA controller in this way? I can get two of them for less than the price of a new Areca ARC 1320 8i.

No, JBOD is as it's name reveals is just a bunch of disks, so it represents a group of disks as a single virtual volume with total amount to be a sum of each disk size. This mode will likely work with this kext. Passthrough mode was described few posts earlier. And this driver doesn't support it.

• 4 weeks later...

It seems the driver is finding my controller alright but the logical volume doesn't show up. I've tried both with and without MSI.

Anyone that knows if there's a way around this?

Edit: It's a Dell PERC H700...

[SASMegaRAID] InitializeController
[SASMegaRAID] [Helper] Region starting at 0xf7c80000
[SASMegaRAID] Memory mapped at virtual address 0xef06d000, length 8192
[SASMegaRAID] Attach
[SASMegaRAID] Transition_Firmware
[SASMegaRAID] Firmware state: 0xb0000000
[SASMegaRAID] [Helper] Looks like MSI interrupts are supported
[SASMegaRAID] [Helper] MSI IR line: 1
[SASMegaRAID] DMA: 64-bit, max commands: 1008, max SGE count: 33
[SASMegaRAID] Initccb
[SASMegaRAID] Initialize_Firmware
[SASMegaRAID] MRAID_Poll
[SASMegaRAID] GetInfo
[SASMegaRAID] Do_Management: opcode: 0x1010000
[SASMegaRAID] PointToData
[SASMegaRAID] Paddr: 0xf66000
[SASMegaRAID] MRAID_Exec
[SASMegaRAID] interruptHandler: pcq vaddr 0xffffff80e179d000
[SASMegaRAID] pi: 0x1 ci: 0
[SASMegaRAID] ccb: 0
[SASMegaRAID] mraid_exec_done
[SASMegaRAID] Active FW BIOS Version 3.18.00_4.09.05.00_0x0416A000 date 00_0x0416A000 time 
[SASMegaRAID] Active FW APP  Version 2.100.03-1405 date Sep 19 2011 time 17:58:36
[SASMegaRAID] Active FW HIIM Version 01.13.00 date Sep 08 2011 time 10:06:42
[SASMegaRAID] Active FW PCLI Version 04.04-010:#%00008 date May 31 2010 time 20:21:52
[SASMegaRAID] Active FW CTLR Version 2.02-0025.1 date Aug 22 2011 time 11:37:38
[SASMegaRAID] Active FW NVDT Version 2.07.03-0003 date Jul 14 2010 time 15:53:29
[SASMegaRAID] Active FW BTBL Version 2.02.00.00-0000 date Sep 16 2009 time 21:37:06
[SASMegaRAID] Active FW BOOT Version 01.250.04.219 date 4/28/2009 time 12:51:38
[SASMegaRAID] Max Arms Per VD 32 Max Arrays 128
[SASMegaRAID] Serial 1AG00FQ present 0x3d fw time 454679277
[SASMegaRAID] NVRAM 32 flash 8
[SASMegaRAID] Memory Correctable Errors 0 Memory Uncorrectable Errors 0 Cluster Permitted 0 Cluster Active 0
[SASMegaRAID] raid_lvl 0xcf7 adapt_ops 0x3df45fbf ld_ops 0xe3f
[SASMegaRAID] Min Stripe Size 4 pd_ops 0x107 pd_mix 0x7
[SASMegaRAID] ECC Bucket Count 0
[SASMegaRAID] sq_nm 2 Predictive Fail Poll Interval: 300sec Interrupt Throttle Active Count 16 Interrupt Throttle Completion: 50us
[SASMegaRAID] Rebuild Rate: 30% PR Rate: 30% Background Rate 30 Check Consistency Rate: 30%
[SASMegaRAID] Reconstruction Rate: 30% Cache Flush Interval: 4s Max Drives to Spinup at One Time 4 Delay Among Spinup Groups: 12s
[SASMegaRAID] Ecc Bucket Size 15
[SASMegaRAID] Ecc Bucket Leak Rate: 1440 Minutes
[SASMegaRAID] Vendor 0x1000 device 0x79 subvendor 0x1028 subdevice 0x1f17
[SASMegaRAID] Type 0x2 (frontend) port_count 0 Addresses 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 
[SASMegaRAID] Type 10 (backend) port_count 8 Addresses 5000c500289f8aad 5000c500289f9095 0 0 0 0 0 0 
[SASMegaRAID] 2 of PDs present
[SASMegaRAID] Enabled options: Physical Drive Coercion Mode  Auto Rebuild  Battery Warning  
[SASMegaRAID] GetBBUInfo
[SASMegaRAID] Do_Management: opcode: 0x5010000
[SASMegaRAID] PointToData
[SASMegaRAID] Paddr: 0x187a000
[SASMegaRAID] MRAID_Exec
[SASMegaRAID] pi: 0x2 ci: 0x1
[SASMegaRAID] mraid_exec_done
[SASMegaRAID] BBU voltage 4094, current 0, temperature 24, status 0x0
[SASMegaRAID] Details: guage 16608 charger state 1
[SASMegaRAID] BBU type: BBU, status good, 98% charged
[SASMegaRAID] ReportHBAConstraints
[SASMegaRAID] initialPowerStateForDomainState
[SASMegaRAID] super->StartController
[SASMegaRAID] ProcessParallelTask: Opcode 0x0, Target 0
[SASMegaRAID] LogicalDiskCmd
[SASMegaRAID] Started processing
[SASMegaRAID] Command queued
[SASMegaRAID] pi: 0x3 ci: 0x2
[SASMegaRAID] mraid_cmd_done
[SASMegaRAID] Warning: cmd failed on tg 0 with ts 0x4 and opc 0x0
[SASMegaRAID] Sense data: [SASMegaRAID] 
[SASMegaRAID] ProcessParallelTask: Opcode 0x12, Target 0
[SASMegaRAID] CreateSGL
[SASMegaRAID] Paddr[0]: 0x1785500
[SASMegaRAID] genIOVMSegments: nseg 1
[SASMegaRAID] frame_size: 60, extra_frames: 0
[SASMegaRAID] pi: 0x4 ci: 0x3
[SASMegaRAID] Warning: cmd failed on tg 0 with ts 0x4 and opc 0x12
[SASMegaRAID] ProcessParallelTask: Opcode 0x12, Target 0
[SASMegaRAID] CreateSGL
[SASMegaRAID] Paddr[0]: 0x1785500
[SASMegaRAID] genIOVMSegments: nseg 1
[SASMegaRAID] frame_size: 60, extra_frames: 0
[SASMegaRAID] pi: 0x5 ci: 0x4
[SASMegaRAID] Warning: cmd failed on tg 0 with ts 0x4 and opc 0x12

@girrr

Hi, i am not the developer and i'm sure he will help.

But just to get you started, you're experience reminds me of something.

So,... You could look up my previous comments, and maybe try out the version that Dukzcry has sent me in response.

It worked for me.

Good luck!

@girrr

Hi, i am not the developer and i'm sure he will help.

But just to get you started, you're experience reminds me of something.

So,... You could look up my previous comments, and maybe try out the version that Dukzcry has sent me in response.

It worked for me.

Good luck!

+1 According to a log, your fw answers back with device not found on drive probing.

Either your have a same situation with CycleBurns... or try an another firmware if not.

Here's that version: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285197-driver-for-lsi-megaraid-sas-family/?p=1988476

Hi,

I have a dell SASHBA which is shown in the sas2flsh utility as "SAS2008 (B2)" and the IC is sas2008. 

i have tried to install all versions of the kext from the download but the driver doesn't load. Its not a NON-RAID card.

its shows in the pci cards section of the system profiler of my macro 5.1 but there are no sas card detected in the SAS section.

Please advise.

Thank you.

Hi.

Before this I had run sas2flsh -listall from a dos bootable USB with the card in a HP system and I got the following.

Num : 0

CH2 : SAS2008 (B2)

FW Ver = 07.15.08.00

NVDATA = 07.00.00.19

X86-bios = 07.11.10.10

PCI addr = 00.02.00.00

Hope it's of some use.

Hi, cosmic99.

Thanks for info! See my conversation with takeawaydave taking from here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285197-driver-for-lsi-megaraid-sas-family/?p=1984293 and onwards. So you need to download a modified version of kext by provided link and look at dmesg. If you have a "Firmware stuck in state" like in takeawaydave's log, you'll need to flash your controller with proper firmware (MegaRAID/IR).

Hi,

I spent the last 4 days trying to flash it. Ended up with a hung system after erasing the flash. Ive downloaded the firmware again from dell and fortunately got to the same condition I was before. I installed the modified kext and got the exact 'Firmware stuck' issue. However, my state of confusion is that i have no clue from the LSI website as to which driver or bios needs to be flashed. I tried LSI 9200/8e's every possible bios and firmware but they all failed. the only bios rom image and firmware that succeeded was the one i got from dell.

Could you please guide me on this rather awkward situation. since everytime i google, i find people having success flashing the 9211 to IR or Vice versa successfully.

I was testing this driver with a raid 1 on a dell h310 and when I went to simulate a failure by unplugging one of the disks, a test file transfer I was doing simply hung.

Anyone here have success with simulated failure?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Dukzcry!

I'm trying to start a rebuild from mfiutil, but I cannot set the drive into the rebuild state. I get "Failed to set drive 11 to REBUILD: Cannot allocate memory".

Any tips?

Thanks much!

Hi!

Only monitoring functional is available via that tool. You need to start a rebuild from your controller bios.

This is stated in readme.

Dukzcry do you know if this works on 10.10? I'm having issues loading the Kext, According to the logs, it says Authentication problem.?

It should, but i've never tried, and don't plan to before the stable release. Additionally, the person nicknamed okrasit claims that one fix should be applied to the driver code in order to be possible to use it under the 10.10: https://github.com/druga/osx-goodies/pull/4

As i'm on vacation and have no access to the xcode environment, i can't do a test build for you. Maybe you could ask him for the build? Unfortunately, i can't figure his email. But you can just write to that github issue thread.

P.S.: As for auth error, maybe it's something related to the kext signing, so you could just google on how to bypass this? Just a blind guess...

• Like 1

It should, but i've never tried, and don't plan to before the stable release. Additionally, the person nicknamed okrasit claims that one fix should be applied to the driver code in order to be possible to use it under the 10.10: https://github.com/druga/osx-goodies/pull/4

As i'm on vacation and have no access to the xcode environment, i can't do a test build for you. Maybe you could ask him for the build? Unfortunately, i can't figure his email. But you can just write to that github issue thread.

P.S.: As for auth error, maybe it's something related to the kext signing, so you could just google on how to bypass this? Just a blind guess...

I've tried a lot to attempt to get it authenticated but no anvil. 

Thanks I will try reaching him, or somebody else to to an XCode build for me, or I'll build it on attempt to build it on Mavericks.