Driver for LSI MegaRAID SAS family

dukzcry

402 posts in this topic

I have a Dell PowerEdge 2900 equipped with a PERC 5/i RAID card and I can't seem to get it to load in El Cap. I see the message "firmware fault" during boot even though its flashed with LSI firmware. I do have an OS X installation running off of a USB HDD and it doesn't detect the card either due to the same firmware fault issue. It doesn't matter if it is using the installer package or the kext being injected by Clover.

Any ideas?

• 1 month later...

Dear Jfive

Finally, I manage to get a fast workstation running dual X 5675 & 48g ddr3 ram

As arranged, obtain a LSI 9280-8e, flashed with latest LSI (12.15.0-0239) firmware, install SAS Mega raid installer which the card properly shown on System Profiler. 

obtain 2 cheap 250G Maxtor sata HD as test Raid 0 array, shown as Virtual Drive 0, Optimal using Config. Wizard

However, while i boot into OSX 10.10 using on board intel Sata Bus using a seperate HD, the Desktop & Disk Utility did not show the Raid 0 array.

Same 2 Maxtors HD were then re-connected to a LSI 3801e HBA, running Fusion MPT (same osx platform), successfully built up a Raid 0 array by running osx software raid in Disk Utility.

Did I miss something necessary or vital in running the SAS Megaraid?

Attached photos referring card status & Boot up message

System Profiler

System%20Profiler_zpsia2jzuvi.png

LSI Web Bios Virtual Config layout

9280%20raid%200%202%20disks_zpsuqstx7no.

Console bootup  Msg

Console%20msg_zps9b201qww.png

I/O Explorer view

IO%20Exploror_zpsuricix1d.png

mfiutil config

mfiutil%20config_zpse3hpjf7k.png

Really depressed to see like this as i already blown some money on this rig :cry:

Any tips & recommendations for tweaking back to work is welcomed.....

Regards

Bosica

My LSI 9265-8i doesn't look like it's supported due to using LSISAS2208 Dual Core ROC.

I currently have 2 RAID volumes connected to my 9265-81 which I have been using with Windows:

* 4 xSSD - Raid 0 for Windows

* 4 xHDD  - Raid 5 for Data

As the 9260-8i looks to be supported, I was thinking or ordering one of these & changing it out. A question is if I go from a 9265-8i to a 9260-8i with the same 8 drives connected to the same ports on the new card. Will I be able to import the RAID configs to the 9260 & therefore keep all the data ?

I have done a change out of 9265 to 9265 originally, due to a warranty fault & was able to import the drives again.

Also - just to confirm. Should this work on Sierra ? Does anyone have it working on Sierra ?

So I swapped my 9265-8i with a 9260-8i & it all went perfect. The 9260-8i recognised the 2 x RAID volumes & I didn't need to import foreign config. All I had to do was set which volume I wanted as boot drive for my windows 

Sierra now shows all drives on those volumes. As most of them are NTFS - I'm using Paragon NTFS and can read/write to them all with no problems.

Thanks for this driver ! it's awsome

• 3 weeks later...
However, while i boot into OSX 10.10 using on board intel Sata Bus using a seperate HD, the Desktop & Disk Utility did not show the Raid 0 array.

Glad to see you've made some major progress, congratulations.

You can use and Linux OS with G-Parted. Since it was handy, I used Windows Disk Management [or cmd- diskpart if you prefer] to initialize the RAID volume created in the Dell PERC BIOS manager. Windows should auto-prompt you to initialize or format the RAID volume. If it does, initialize as GPT, or format the volume with no File System and no drive letter/path. [it doesn't matter since you'll change to HFS+ (or whatever else) within OS X]

If Windows does NOT prompt you:

1. Ensure you created the optimal array in your RAID VD config utility (Dell or LSI) . Be mindful of stripe size and other settings you can't change afterwards..

2. Click Start -> right-click Computer, then click Manage, then choose Storage -> Disk Management

If you weren't prompted before, there will likely be an initialization popup prompt at this point. If not...

3a. Locate the RAID volume in the upper or lower section, right-click Initialize. Choose: GPT

or

3b. Locate the RAID volume in the upper or lower section, right-click, choose: New Simple Volume

3c. Choose the size you desire, click next

3d. Choose: "Do not assign a drive letter or path," click next

3e. Choose no file system

4. The RAID volume should now appear with a black bar in the lower section and be labeled as " [Volume Size GB/TB] Unallocated"

5. Once again, no need to format since you'll do this in OS X Disk Utility or Terminal.

**NOTE: If you do want multiple partitions on the RAID array, I'd recommend you set it up within the Windows OS.

6. Boot to OS X and you should be prompted to format the RAID volume. If not, go into OSX Disk Utility.

• 2 weeks later...

You can use and Linux OS with G-Parted. Since it was handy, I used Windows Disk Management [or cmd- diskpart if you prefer] to initialize the RAID volume created in the Dell PERC BIOS manager. Windows should auto-prompt you to initialize or format the RAID volume. If it does, initialize as GPT, or format the volume with no File System and no drive letter/path. [it doesn't matter since you'll change to HFS+ (or whatever else) within OS X]

Noted with thanks

Somehow, the output of mfiutil config inspired me a bit (maybe i am just circle around too much too deep same issue n forget to solve the problem from another angle)

anyway both J5 n ccozmo show me some directions of getting it solved and i thank both sincerely.

Will upload progress in a near future.

Also, these days very busy seeking for some cost effective HD rack and other supporting hardware will shown here too,

Personally, i think Mega raid kext is not the only solution to a fast R/W speed objective among multi-disk array as searching for other alternatives become my "Mission" recently.

I need some time to try out these cards maybe run a comparison in the future with hardware raid (mega raid) vs software raid (apple raid)

that will be fun :whistle:

Regards

Bosica

It appears the InsanelyMac master download is corrupted. I get an error when attempting to run the installer--Sierra says "'Installer' is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to trash."

I have re-downloaded it four times now, plus tried to open it with Pacifist. Pacifist is unable to open the file.

I downloaded the source and built the SASMegaRaid.kext kext, but hit some errors try build the rest. I guess I don't really need the CLI or whatnot?

RAID is up and running, although with awfully slow performance. Perhaps I need to wait for that initialize to finish ;p

Thanks Jfive!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone
i think that i make a big mistake, i not read good this and buy a lsi 9205-8e and now when i install in the hack i find that it is a SAS2308. any suggestion for a sas controller with 2x sff8088 ?

A3DRV-HBA Legacy - Obsoleted, No Support - Astek Corporation

Apple Hardware

• Intel based MacPro (all models) with at least one PCI-Express slot available
  • Intel based MacBook, iMac, MacMini systems with Thunderbolt external enclosures†

Processors/Kernels

• Intel x86 (32-bit) and Intel x86_64 (64-bit)

LSISAS Cards

• LSI SAS 9200-8e, 8 ports external, PCIe 2.0
  • LSI SAS 9201-16e, 16 ports external, PCIe 2.0
  • LSI SAS 9202-16e, 16 ports external, PCIe 2.0
  • LSI SAS 9205-8e, 8 ports external, PCIe 2.0 (best for SSDs)
  • LSI SAS 9207-8e. 8 ports external PCIe 3.0
  • LSI SAS 9207-4i4e, 4 ports external, 4 ports internal, PCIe 3.0

LSISAS Controllers

• LSISAS2008
  • LSISAS2116
  • LSISAS2308

Firmware Features

• Integrated RAID0/1/10◊

Guys, I cannot find the 10.8 compatible version anymore. I can't compile the current source on Xcode with 10.9 SDK. Anyone succeded in doing that? The module author doesn't answer to PMs :( I can't upgrade my workstation in the near future to Mavericks, I'm afraid it will stop working with my current hardware and I cannot afford upgrading my graphics card, etc. Any hint? 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm wanting to get a SAS 9200-8e to go into a desktop to interface with a 4bay 1u raid enclosure I have. I also plan on throwing the card in a thunderbolt enclosure. Everything I've read suggests I should have no problem, even though I won't be able to do IT mode. I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything. My 1u enclosure should be passive (it's just a psu and a sas->sata cable basically) so there shouldn't be a problem with the backplane.

One thing that is interesting is that Avid has the 9200-8e listed in it's certified supported hardware list for for 10.9, 10.10, and 10.11 which makes me think the 9200-8e should be natively supported, or that maybe there's a kext that ships with Avid that we could maybe use. 

Citation: http://resources.avid.com/supportfiles/config_guides/AVIDMacProIvyBridgeConfigguideRevG.pdfPage 3, Supported Hardware table.

... throwing the card in a thunderbolt enclosure.

Would you clarify this statement? Some specs or model number please.

If you haven't yet purchased a card, any reason you wouldn't purchase a card which does in fact work with the OP's kext?

The card you want is Fusion-MPT which OP has said is definitely unsupported. It'd be great if you're willing to take one for the team and give this all a test and share the results.

The readme for dukzcry's SASMegaRaid kext says 92xx should work. My 2nd choice was going to be a Dell Perc h800 since it has external mini-sas and no weird connectors

My drive enclosure is https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MRP1MSAS/

As far as thethunderbolt enclosure, I was going to get an Akitio, but ended up finding a thunderbolt HBA that's supported natively for roughly $100 (Rocketstor 6324L).

I still need to get a pci-e HBA so that I can use the enclosure with my hackintosh that's running Yosemite. 

Would you clarify this statement? Some specs or model number please.

If you haven't yet purchased a card, any reason you wouldn't purchase a card which does in fact work with the OP's kext?

The card you want is Fusion-MPT which OP has said is definitely unsupported. It'd be great if you're willing to take one for the team and give this all a test and share the results.

The readme for dukzcry's SASMegaRaid kext says 92xx should work. My 2nd choice was going to be a Dell Perc h800 since it has external mini-sas and no weird connectors

As I stated before, the card you mentioned, 9200-e, is a Fusion-MPT-based card. The IBM M1015 is crossed out in the OP, which also has the LSI 2008 controller. BUT the H310, with a 2008 chip, seems to be compatible. Go figure.

The differences between: https://hwraid.le-vert.net/wiki/LSI

LSI 9200-e spec sheet: https://docs.broadcom.com/cs/Satellite?blobcol=urldata&blobheader=application%2Fpdf&blobheadername1=Content-Disposition&blobheadername2=Content-Type&blobheadername3=MDT-Type&blobheadervalue1=attachment%3Bfilename%3DDCSG-PB-SAS-9200-8e_SEP15.pdf&blobheadervalue2=application%2Fx-download&blobheadervalue3=abinary%253B%2Bcharset%253DUTF-8&blobkey=id&blobnocache=true&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobwhere=1430860921856&ssbinary=true

The two enclosures you mention are definitely NOT passive. There's a backplane in both which will breakout the data and power to each drive, similar to most other external enclosures. Personally, I've never encountered a passive external enclosure with mini-SAS SFF-8088.

Copy that. So it looks like my best (and possibly only option) is just to get a card that is natively supported, ie Atto, Areca, Rocketraid, etc considering I'm using external enclosures and readers.

As I stated before, the card you mentioned, 9200-e, is a Fusion-MPT-based card. The IBM M1015 is crossed out in the OP, which also has the LSI 2008 controller. BUT the H310, with a 2008 chip, seems to be compatible. Go figure.

The differences between: https://hwraid.le-vert.net/wiki/LSI

LSI 9200-e spec sheet: https://docs.broadcom.com/cs/Satellite?blobcol=urldata&blobheader=application%2Fpdf&blobheadername1=Content-Disposition&blobheadername2=Content-Type&blobheadername3=MDT-Type&blobheadervalue1=attachment%3Bfilename%3DDCSG-PB-SAS-9200-8e_SEP15.pdf&blobheadervalue2=application%2Fx-download&blobheadervalue3=abinary%253B%2Bcharset%253DUTF-8&blobkey=id&blobnocache=true&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobwhere=1430860921856&ssbinary=true

The two enclosures you mention are definitely NOT passive. There's a backplane in both which will breakout the data and power to each drive, similar to most other external enclosures. Personally, I've never encountered a passive external enclosure with mini-SAS SFF-8088.

• 1 month later...

It appears the InsanelyMac master download is corrupted. I get an error when attempting to run the installer--Sierra says "'Installer' is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to trash."

I have re-downloaded it four times now, plus tried to open it with Pacifist. Pacifist is unable to open the file.

I downloaded the source and built the SASMegaRaid.kext kext, but hit some errors try build the rest. I guess I don't really need the CLI or whatnot?

RAID is up and running, although with awfully slow performance. Perhaps I need to wait for that initialize to finish ;p

Thanks Jfive!

Here is a copy I had lying around.. It opened on my Mac just fine. 

Unfortunately both versions are corrupt for me... Does anyone have a working copy laying around?

I found these two files on my computer. One is the installer and the other is the kext. Not sure about which version it is, but the installer 'dated created' reads: 2013 July. I had to zip the installer or else it wouldn't upload to Zippyshare. I LITERALLY used this today and it worked. My wife made a boo boo and my mobo died and killed my SSD, so I just did a full reinstall on my new gear. Why did I get married......

Not sure how long the link will be valid after today.

http://www11.zippyshare.com/v/CdxyfCEW/file.html

• Like 1