260 replies to this topic

jfive

jfive

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Thanks for your kind words!

Dont worry about backups, I always use Carbon Copy Cloner incremental backups, and always  compare and delete my kontakt libs with multi libs shirinked and edited. Everything with ncw. Raid 5 & 6 are good but CCC show reports of bad files and I just replace them.

In my search I always bypass Dell (I know that perc 5/6 works) because the lots of options and different cables that becames pricier than LSI.

I find a Dell h700 for 115us on ebay with shipping (+150% of taxes because I live in Brazil), and its cheaper than LSI 6gb/s but I do not believe that it worth unless I have a raid of ssds in the future ...?

For the hds I have an old 5u large server case that I modified and it handle 15 3.5 hds (for now).

1 of my raids probably will be with a silicon card + fusion with sdd from osx.

This is going to end here with me since we shouldn't hijack this thread. I addressed your concerns over speed and reliability. RAID 6 will give you TWO drive failues before it becomes a dead array. Again, not sure what you plan on doing with  all this storage (and speed) but you need to be honest with yourself and not want storage just to have storage. You'll go crazy chasing the the 'Gbps Dragon.'The block/stripe size you deploy will play a significant part in speeds with smaller sample files.

CCC is good for local but you should have offsite. You seem to be chasing terabytes and Gbps which will cause you to loose focus and inhibit musical creativity. I have a PERC 5i or 6i here. It's yours for free if you want it, just PM me and I'll get it to you ASAP. Only you'd need to pay for shipping. There is also a Tripp-Lite SAS to SATA cable that's brand new. It's yours for the price I paid $14.67USD. Pics here. You'll have to look at the specs to see if they're acceptable. They both work but not sure which FW is loaded. You can read how to deal with the firmware on your own from either Dell or LSI.

Now please, begin a new thread to further discuss RAID options and your setup. This thread belongs to dukzcry and is regarding his amazing KEXT which makes all this even possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2015 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy