• Please log in to reply
256 replies to this topic

fullmetaljester

fullmetaljester

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

duczkry, Success: after setting „PreferMSI“ to NO the raid shows up all the time in profiler. Thank you so much for your time and effort.

This fixed the same exact issue with my 8708EM2, thanks!

dangil

dangil

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

hello there 

I have a M1015 (SAS2008 based, LSI 9240 8i equivalent) , PCI ID 0x1000 , 0x0073

first tested with old Bios (20.10.1-0126_SAS_2008_FW_Image_APP2.130.374-2023)

then with latest LSI Bios (20.13.1-0208_SAS_2008_FW_Image_APP_2.130.404-3836) 

tested with PreferMSI set to true and false

running Yosemite 10.10.2 on a hackintosh , booting via Clover (tested both UEFI and Legacy)

I am getting this console output with the Debug Kext:

kernel[0]: [SASMegaRAID] InitializeController
kernel[0]: [SASMegaRAID] [Helper] Region starting at 0xf7d60000
kernel[0]: [SASMegaRAID] Memory mapped at virtual address 0xf1af0000, length 8192
kernel[0]: [SASMegaRAID] Attach
kernel[0]: [SASMegaRAID] Transition_Firmware
kernel[0]: [SASMegaRAID] Firmware state: 0xb0000000
kernel[0]: [SASMegaRAID] [Helper] Looks like MSI interrupts are supported
kernel[0]: [SASMegaRAID] [Helper] MSI IR line: 1
kernel[0]: [SASMegaRAID] DMA: 64-bit, max commands: 31, max SGE count: 33
kernel[0]: [SASMegaRAID] Initccb
kernel[0]: [SASMegaRAID] Initialize_Firmware
kernel[0]: [SASMegaRAID] MRAID_Poll
kernel[0]: [SASMegaRAID] Unable to init firmware
kernel[0]: [SASMegaRAID] Can't attach device
kernel[0]: [SASMegaRAID] IOService->free

controller doesn't appears on Parallel SCSI 
on windows works OK

any ideas on how to make this work?

thanks

dukzcry

dukzcry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

kernel[0]: [SASMegaRAID] Unable to init firmware

Hi.

You need to flash your card with 9240 IR (= MegaRAID) firmware.

dangil

dangil

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Thanks for the reply

I believe I have MegaRAID firmware, since the device id is 0x1000 , 0x0073, and on boot I can enter Control-H to get to the raid configuration interface where I can create virtual disks

on linux the module megarais_sas is loaded, reporting this device : LSI Logic MegaRAID SAS 2008 [Falcon] [1000:0073]

on Windows the device detected is LSI MegaRAID SAS Controller

I flash this boards using the MegaCli command line, so I asume I am using a MegaRAID firmware

I could try to crossflash to 9211 IR , like some others on this topic, but I think the PCI id changes to 0x1000 , 0x0072 and I dont know if this driver would work either

is there a specific firmware version I can download that is know to work with this boards ? 

is there anything else I could try ?

thanks again

dukzcry

dukzcry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

dangil, 

Unfortunately there's nothing more I can do in your situation.

You'd better to ask some person, who had a positive experience using that particular card and this kext, probably: http://www.insanelym...mily/?p=1976895 Not sure how well it went for him though.

dangil

dangil

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Thanks anyway.

I gave up.. 

after a lot of testing, I believe this card doesn't play well with my Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK board. 

ElStuiterbal

ElStuiterbal

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I just stumbled upon this thread. What a great piece of software dukzcry! This thread really made me tinker about a RAID controller for my system.

The built in Intel RST does not seem to work, since Yosemite does not recognise it as a RAID but just as separate drives.

I was wondering if using a RAID card is the only option, or did I miss some settings for Intel's RST?

If a RAID card is the only option, which one would you guys recommend? The OP mentioned the Dell PERC 5/i, but are there newer or better alternatives on the market?

Thanks anyway!

EDIT: I just saw the supported hardware list in the readme. However, I still wonder about RST and about the experience with different cards.

dukzcry

dukzcry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

As I understand it, the Matrix RAID / RST / etc is still just a software RAID, although they're speculating with it by putting some RAID management functions into the motherboard BIOS. Here's an explanative info on it: https://wiki.archlin..._with_Fake_RAID

I've never seen kexts made with support for such solutions. So my opinion is that you either need a RAID card or you use OS X software RAID, see http://www.macbreake...ntain-lion.html for example. The last option will make your RAID-converted OS X volumes inaccessible for other operating systems, for sure.

As for the card, I think 9260 and it's rebadges are still most used. 8708EM2 was mentioned as working lately. If you don't want to wait suggestions from other people, you could look through the thread and pick something that got a positive report here.

ElStuiterbal

ElStuiterbal

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

As I understand it, the Matrix RAID / RST / etc is still just a software RAID, although they're speculating with it by putting some RAID management functions into the motherboard BIOS. Here's an explanative info on it: https://wiki.archlin..._with_Fake_RAID

I've never seen kexts made with support for such solutions. So my opinion is that you either need a RAID card or you use OS X software RAID, see http://www.macbreake...ntain-lion.html for example. The last option will make your RAID-converted OS X volumes inaccessible for other operating systems, for sure.

As for the card, I think 9260 and it's rebadges are still most used. 8708EM2 was mentioned as working lately. If you don't want to wait suggestions from other people, you could look through the thread and pick something that got a positive report here.

Thank you for your reply dukzcry.

I am asking all of this because I want to use a RAID card for a special scenario and I hope someone could test this, or knows if this is possible. What I want to accomplish is roughly the following:

I want to run Ubuntu, which has full control over the RAID array, in a virtual machine (preferably Parallels) on OSX and act as a server. This virtual server will then share the data on the array.

I hope someone can help me figure out if something like this is possible. If you have another kind of setup which can do the same, please let me know :)

Thanks anyway!

dukzcry

dukzcry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

ElStuiterbal, yes this is possible with hardware RAID card and Parallels.

Spoiler

Another way is where you find a VM software that could pass logical volume (like software RAID volume, not the underneath physical disks) to the ubuntu in it. Looks like Parallels can't do it such way.

In final, I don't know how http://www.softraid.com/ solution works comparing to builtin OS X software RAID, but if it hides actual physical disks from OS X, than it will work even for Parallels.

In these two options RAID array management is in the hands of OS X.

aphex6b

aphex6b

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

i had great results with this driver on a LSI 9240-8i with 4x SAS and 4xSATA disks connected to the controller. Even the ' unsafe sleep' worked for me, on Windows i always get BSOD (CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED) when i try entering sleep. I wonder if it ever worked on windows 7.

ElStuiterbal

ElStuiterbal

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

ElStuiterbal, yes this is possible with hardware RAID card and Parallels.

Spoiler

Another way is where you find a VM software that could pass logical volume (like software RAID volume, not the underneath physical disks) to the ubuntu in it. Looks like Parallels can't do it such way.

In final, I don't know how http://www.softraid.com/ solution works comparing to builtin OS X software RAID, but if it hides actual physical disks from OS X, than it will work even for Parallels.

In these two options RAID array management is in the hands of OS X.

Thanks again for your reply. I am wondering, how does OSX see a RAID array from a RAID card? Does it see each disk separately, or the array as a single disk?

Because if the RAID card presents the disks as a single disk to OSX, I think you can give Parallels full control.

I will test if I can share a single disk in Ubuntu using Parallels this week before I buy a RAID card. Thanks again!

dukzcry

dukzcry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Depends on a kext and a card. My driver doesn't currently support disk passthrough mode, so yes, OS X we'll see an array only as a single disk with any supported controller. And yes, this means that Parallels should work with such.

ElStuiterbal

ElStuiterbal

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Depends on a kext and a card. My driver doesn't currently support disk passthrough mode, so yes, OS X we'll see an array only as a single disk with any supported controller. And yes, this means that Parallels should work with such.

Well dukzcry, I have been tinkering some more and I think I do not need Ubuntu at all, since OS X has built-in sharing capabilities. There is however something I am wondering about. If I use a Dell H310 for example, can I initialise the RAID array in the BIOS or will I need to build the array in OS X? And if I build it in OS X, can another OS like Windows read and write to it?

So I guess what I am trying to ask is if a RAID array, on for example the Dell H310 card, is OS independent? Thanks again!

dukzcry

dukzcry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Exactly you need to create a RAID array either from controller's BIOS or in Windows/Linux. (There is currently no capability to create/delete arrays from OS X when using this project ;) But you can do monitoring operations with mfiutil console tool supplied with it)

After that you can work with your virtual volumes like with usual HDDs, i.e. doing format, reading, writing, etc from any OS supporting your card. Yes, the one of benefits of a true hardware RAID is that they're OS independent solutions when you have drivers for all OSes you need.

ElStuiterbal

ElStuiterbal

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Exactly you need to create a RAID array either from controller's BIOS or in Windows/Linux. (There is currently no capability to create/delete arrays from OS X when using this project ;) But you can do monitoring operations with mfiutil console tool supplied with it)

After that you can work with your virtual volumes like with usual HDDs, i.e. doing format, reading, writing, etc from any OS supporting your card. Yes, the one of benefits of a true hardware RAID is that they're OS independent solutions when you have drivers for all OSes you need.

Thanks again for your reply! I will try and find a Dell H310 then and report back here as soon as I do. Thanks again :)

dukzcry

dukzcry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Note that at least one person had an issues with RAID-5 setup using H310 card: http://www.insanelym...mily/?p=2009371

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2015 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy