• Please log in to reply
228 replies to this topic

dukzcry

dukzcry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

bilbo,

Had you tried to do initial setup using card BIOS and not lsi program for windows (preferably using default volume settings for the test time)? Better to do fast init to avoid waste of time. What if you set PreferMSI=false in kext plist properties, does it improve anything? Just in case...

I've seen on one previous post one capture showing a more recent firmware.. Should I update the firmware?

You may try. You may also contact the person with a card of subject and ask about settings etc.

Log seem miss the BBU ????? I dont have battery.

Then you should just ignore the error.

bilbo

bilbo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

After tests and tests ,I finally found a workaround to got Raid working. 

1- I re- configured the raid, using raid bios. I used sighly different settings changing write policies , but anything important. 6 disks in raid 5.

2- I reboot on win and mac. Both systems detect new volume. Both show me the dialog to initializate. I decide do it in Windows, with windows disk utlity. Just initializate. Not partitions.

3- I reboot and mac. All OK. Disk utility can see volume

4- Again in windows, I did the partitions. Two partitions in my case. With nfts FS.

5- Rebooting in Mac ... Bingo. Everything seems OK.

Now. On mac, with disk utility, I delete the volume , partitioning it again. So disk utility writes again partition table. I use gpt, of course. Result at next boot:  Boot procces stops again at LSI bios loading :surprised: . No way.

-I discovered I didn't need disconnect HD to acces bios. I need just press ctrl-H before of bios card load process, and keep it pressing. Again, I repeat whole process.

- Again on point 5, I try to avoid make partitions. Just format. But I can't do it. But I get "can't erase (mediakit reports not enough space on device for requested operation)" error.

- I decide do all process in windows. One important thing here. On my prevoius post I explained that mac could't see volume on my second try. I used one utility on windows to make "exotic" partitions and format (I need exfat and ext3). Now I think this utility was the guilty. So I decide be carefull with this kind of utilities. After think about that I decide trust in gparted. I reboot using a live ubuntu , I format one of my partitions in ext3. Always without touch volume structure. Just format. I haven't found a trustly way to format in exfat , so I decide use nfts for the other partition and use paragon nfts in mac.

-Everything is ok. I have my Raid mounted on mac. First test give me similar read/write results than in Win. I have to test it working.

In short: Bios LSI doesn't like how mac disk utility makes table partition and/or structure. I realize it is sighly different than in windows (different first primary partition size ).

My workaround: perform raid in bios card > Initialize and make the partitions just using windows disk utiliy> Use gparted to format partitions if use HFS or exotic FS, always without touch table partition, just to format.

... and I have to express my gratitude to dukzcry. To have my raid working is my fundamental to my hackintosh project. It doesn't make sense without a raid. Using LSI card is important for me because these are the supported card on my workstations, needed to keep compatibilitie with linux too ( I use linux on my workstation too!!) . Use LSI card on mac was my dream. Same raid with win/mac/linux. So thank you , duckzcry, for waste your time ....  ;)  :)

jfive

jfive

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Thank you soooo much DuckCrzy for creating and maintaining this project and your thread for so many years. Thanks to your work, I was able to successfully to get my rig running without any issues.

I'd like you or someone smarter myself, to comment on how to deal with TRIM to an SSD RAID-1 VD in relation topics within this thread. I did add the Chimera plugin for 10.10 but not seeing TRIM enabled in SCSI drive info in System Information. And yea, TRIM is activated with Samsung 840-Pro 128 & 256 SSDs connected to motherboard SATA ports.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6161/intel-brings-trim-to-raid0-ssd-arrays-on-7series-motherboards-we-test-it

Relevant items in my rig:

OSX Yosemite 10.10

i7-4770k on GA-Z87-UD4H, F9

Dell PERC H700 FW 12.10.06

-> 2x Western Digital 1TB WD1003FZEX 1TB in RAID-1

-> 2x Intel 530 128GB SSD in RAID-1 (this is my boot drive for OS X Yosemite; built w/ Chimera)

dukzcry

dukzcry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Thank you soooo much DuckCrzy for creating and maintaining this project and your thread for so many years. Thanks to your work, I was able to successfully to get my rig running without any issues.

I'd like you or someone smarter myself, to comment on how to deal with TRIM to an SSD RAID-1 VD in relation topics within this thread. I did add the Chimera plugin for 10.10 but not seeing TRIM enabled in SCSI drive info in System Information. And yea, TRIM is activated with Samsung 840-Pro 128 & 256 SSDs connected to motherboard SATA ports.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6161/intel-brings-trim-to-raid0-ssd-arrays-on-7series-motherboards-we-test-it

Relevant items in my rig:

OSX Yosemite 10.10

i7-4770k on GA-Z87-UD4H, F9

Dell PERC H700 FW 12.10.06

-> 2x Western Digital 1TB WD1003FZEX 1TB in RAID-1

-> 2x Intel 530 128GB SSD in RAID-1 (this is my boot drive for OS X Yosemite; built w/ Chimera)

Unfortunately, i don't have experience with SSD, TRIM and RAID controllers which support TRIM. But to say simple, my driver doesn't tamper into the communication between OS and virtual drives, except for some wrapping. So, OS X should see what your controller gives it.

In my understanding, if your SSD drives provide TRIM, H700 supports TRIM and it doesn't require an additional support from the driver, then it should function, otherwise - no go.

jfive

jfive

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

H700 supports TRIM [ ...] - no go.

That statment is correct. Just two minutes ago, I read the H310 is the one that plays nice with TRIM. However the H310 doesn't have CacheCade but the H700 (int-dual SFF-8087) does have CacheCade. I assume this has something to do with the fact TRIM is a function/facility of the OS and won't be able to work itself into the adapter's "virtual disks." Non-RAID SSDs may be has OS TRIM support but I'm no expert.

I would very much like to pay you a small bit for what you've done here. Not a rich man but will happily pay for something that was critical to a personal project. If not you, I'll gladly make a donation in your "name" to a charity of your choice that accepts PayPal.

Here's a easy list but only US-based groups: https://www.paypal.c...pp/search-cause

jfive

jfive

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Sent you some change man. Thanks again for everything.

PayPal Payment Sent (Unique Transaction ID # 97****72XE69****4P)

dukzcry

dukzcry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Sent you some change man. Thanks again for everything.

PayPal Payment Sent (Unique Transaction ID # 97****72XE69****4P)

Got it! Thank you much for your help pal :)

P.S.: In Russia with it's current situation, it's the money!

agatek

agatek

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Dukzcry, thank you for your efforts to develop the driver. I tried to load it, got a message about firmware fault, upgraded the firmware and fell into more serious troubles. I am not giving any details here because I have a more basic question. I've been trying to make OSX to boot from PowerEdge 1950 gen II directly from a PERC5/i SAS hdd. Is it possible at all? As far as I know the said Dell has no (u)efi. In similar situation to boot it from Linux I would need to have the driver inside the kernel. Is it the same for OSX (seems it should be)?

dukzcry

dukzcry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Dukzcry, thank you for your efforts to develop the driver. I tried to load it, got a message about firmware fault, upgraded the firmware and fell into more serious troubles. I am not giving any details here because I have a more basic question. I've been trying to make OSX to boot from PowerEdge 1950 gen II directly from a PERC5/i SAS hdd. Is it possible at all? As far as I know the said Dell has no (u)efi. In similar situation to boot it from Linux I would need to have the driver inside the kernel. Is it the same for OSX (seems it should be)?

Hmm, that's strange. Both E and I versions of PERC 5 cards with either LSI or Dell firmware worked for people, and I still use PERC 5/E w LSI 7.0.1-0083.

Yes, it's possible if not that "firmware fault" issue. Whether BIOS or EFI is not matter, even if your server had EFI with a driver for your RAID card, this would only mean a support for your card in EFI environment, while OS X still need it's own.

For OS X it's almost the same, os will autoload the SASMegaRAID.kext (kernel extension, or kernel module in terms of linux) RAID driver before the stage of looking for a root device. For this the kext should be in kernel cache (you may run this utility once after the driver installment, just for sure it's in). Plus you with Yosemite (preferably with Mavericks too) you need to use 'kext-dev-mode=1' boot option.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: RAID, LSI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy