X86PlatformPlugin not loading

rr7

66 posts in this topic

i've noticed that on my hackintosh builds the X86PlatformPlugin doesn't load, instead ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin loads and that brings up unsupported CPU 0x3a errors as that plugin doesnt support modern processors.

i've compared IOREG from actual recent iMacs and MacMinis, and the cpu-type doesnt match, i got 01 05 and it should be 04 06. i've fixed that by changes to SMBIOS.plist but that didnt make it load

i then noticed a plugin-type property 0x1, which is also in IOPropertyMatch within the X86PlatformPlugin info.plist, so i've injected that property and i can confirm it shows in the IOReg, but still it wont load the plugin, it always reverts to the SMC one.

i'm not sure what else i'm missing!

can someone help shed some light into it?

edit: okay why it is, that you always work it out, only after you've posted on a forum ;)

i renamed the

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext and now X86PlatformPlugin loads! so the question now is, really, is what is causing the

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin to load. i suspect something to do with FakeSMC or the

boot loader..... i dont like renaming or deleting kexts as a solution

• 2 weeks later...

According to http://www.applelife...urboboost.38283

you need to inject plugin-type 'One' into the first core and have a proper BoardID like it is used in iMac13,1 for instance: Mac-00BE6ED71E35EB86.

It loads fine for me this way.

works fine on my second system too, seems to work okay on the first unless its in safe mode, but its a bit inconsistent. it does look like it will soon be handled automatically in clover EFI according to that thread,

That would be great.

I also discovered one more difference.

My Core-i5 3570k gets a cpu-type of 0106.

According to an iMac13,1 ioreg a Core-i7 3770 (if I deduces the CPU correctly) get a cpu-type of 0406.

Just a suspicion, I didn't find enough information yet.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the very fast replay :)

yes i try using that script for days now, but still no good.

There are absolutely no "plugin-type" property on IOReg.

is there any chance the other kext might be the couse, fakesmc for example

which version of fakesmc did you use.

after a fresh install + 10.8.3 combo update finally found the problematic kext :)

it's AppleACPIPlatform.kext + AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext the one that i use to show battery indicator.

turn out AppleACPIPlatform use by the OS to identify the machine (I think I read this somewhere, correct me if I'm wrong)

now using the untouch AppleACPIPlatform.kext + AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext the X86PlatformPlugin loaded, 9 pstates including turbo :)

but no AGPM yet

• Like 2

Interesting topic. How can i check/monitor the pstates for my i5?

P.S.: just checked in IOReg, my CPU type is 04 06. I'll take it as a sign the P-states are working correctly, since i don't know really how to check this (iMac 12,2 btw).

P.P.S.: on the other hand, X86Platform.plugin doesn't load here too, ACPI_SMC_Platform.plugin loading instead. i took a look on my log in Console and found the dreaded getCPUIDinfo message there. But the upside is there is at least one post on the subject in applelife.hu saying this doesn't really affects speedstep. What's the truth, since i don't know how to check it myself?

Thank you, Maniac10!

I tried also with iMac 13,x - the results were even worse: only two P-states (this time, 16 and 34, meaning i lose turbo mode thus losing speed), and no AGPM. With current settings (iMac 12,2, Clover IB P-states key/string under ACPI) i have three P-states (including 36, turbo mode) and AGPM, so i'll stick to that in the meantime, as i deepen myself on the subject.

All the best!

Thank you, Maniac10!

I tried also with iMac 13,x - the results were even worse: only two P-states (this time, 16 and 34, meaning i lose turbo mode thus losing speed), and no AGPM. With current settings (iMac 12,2, Clover IB P-states key/string under ACPI) i have three P-states (including 36, turbo mode) and AGPM, so i'll stick to that in the meantime, as i deepen myself on the subject.

All the best!

As Maniac10 said, use Macmini6,x instead to get more PStates. Does X86PlatformPlugin load when you use iMac12,2? AFAIK, PluginType=1 should be used with 13,x.

If iMac13,x is really a matter for you besides many PStates, you have to tweak its profile inside X86PlatformPlugin. Here is what I have with iMac13,1 (X86 and AGPM are loaded). It has been OCed and has custom SSDT (from Piker's script) and tweaked profile.

4/12/13 5:04:34.000 PM kernel[0]: AICPUPMI: P-States [ 16 21 28 34 38 39 40 42 ]

Clover config: DropOemSSDT=No, GenerateIvyStates=Yes.

EDIT: I found custom SSDT causes Sleep/Wake issue when using GenerateIvyStates=Yes.

• Like 1

Hi, fau71!

Still not working here, despite i having changed the definition to Macmini 6,1 (to match my i5 processor). I tried a lot of flags under config.plist/ACPI (i'm with Clover), like generate P and C states, GenerateIvyStates etc, with and without DropOemSSDT=Yes, as well as a ssdt generated by RevoGirl's (updated by Pike) ssdtPRGen.sh tool (of course with DropOemSSDT=Yes under config.plist/ACPI). The ssdt is placed at the root of my HDD. I had also to add my board ID to /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist, since the script reported it was missing. Yet, X86PlatformPlugin doesn't load, only ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin, and i have only two p-states (16, 34 - no turbo!) and no AGPM.

Any help would be much appreciated!

All the best!

Clover config: DropOemSSDT=No, GenerateIvyStates=Yes.

Where exactly in the config? Among the other boot flags? Or under ACPI? The ssdt.aml must be placed in the root of the HDD, as i am doing, or somewhere else? This seems to be crucial for my success, i think.

All the best!

Where exactly in the config? Among the other boot flags? Or under ACPI? The ssdt.aml must be placed in the root of the HDD, as i am doing, or somewhere else? This seems to be crucial for my success, i think.

All the best!

Clover has been rapidly developed. In such cases, maybe some config are not valid. Which revision do you use currently? I'm using r1274 to be clear here.

AFAIK, you can put custom SSDT in one of these path;

- /EFI/ACPI/patched

- /EFI/OEM/{censored}/ACPI/patched

- / (root)

DropOemSSDT and GenerateIvyStates are under ACPI in config.plist. However I did a mistake above, which actually there are 2 situations (with or without custom SSDT) you may try.

1. Use only GenerateIvyStates=Yes, nothing else. It shouldn't be used with custom SSDT (otherwise Wake is broken in my rig).

2. Use custom SSDT (from Piker's script) which is what I use currently. And my config for ACPI is like this;

<key>ACPI</key>
<dict>
<key>DsdtName</key>
<string>DSDT_NEW.aml</string>
<key>DropOemSSDT</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>FixDsdtMask</key>
<string>0x1400</string>
</dict>

I'm not sure why your x86PlatformPlugin doesn't load with Macmini6,x, since GenerateIvyStates has included key PluginType-1. And also has been added in SSDT by Pikers. Maybe you should try with iMac13,1 as I did but using this modified profile (put in IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/X86PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources).

• Like 1