axlr8

5 posts in this topic

Hi guys. I wanted to install OS X on my computer, the specs are:

nVidia GTS 250

Intel Q9300

4 GB ram

ASUS P5K SE/EPU motherboard

A SATA harddrive at 250 gb.

I then found an old PATA (IDE right?) drive on 40 gb, which I thoguht I would use, so I didnt have to format my SATA drive and make a partition. I got it setup, formatted and everything. I can see both the SATA and PATA harddrive in windows 8, but when I boot up my Snow Leopard USB it can only see my SATA drive.

My Snow Leopard USB is made with retail SL and then installed the extras from "my-Hack"

I don't know what I should do. I have tried several .kext's IOFAMILY VIAATA etc, but not working. Am I wrong if I say that Snow leopard doesnt support PATA drives? Or is it simply impossible to dual boot with a PATA and SATA drive? (Are there any distros supporting PATA and SATA at the same time, if this is true?)

My BIOS is set to IDE enhanced, but I can set it to AHCI with a bios-mod.

So, do any on you guys know what I can do, or what is wrong? Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance! :)

EDIT: I have also tried to boot up the SL USB with the SATA drive unlugged

PATA drives are supported by Snow (I used them for a long time). However, they can be quite troublesome at first. Your PATA controller is made by Marvell, so that explains why VIAATA didn't work. See if you can find a Marvell PATA kext 'round the 'net. ;) Also definitely keep the Marvell controller in IDE mode.

(It is possible to boot with SATA & PATA, especially on motherboards that have separate controllers for PATA and SATA. Older ones that don't are a pain, but that's another story...)

PATA drives are supported by Snow (I used them for a long time). However, they can be quite troublesome at first. Your PATA controller is made by Marvell, so that explains why VIAATA didn't work. See if you can find a Marvell PATA kext 'round the 'net. ;) Also definitely keep the Marvell controller in IDE mode.

(It is possible to boot with SATA & PATA, especially on motherboards that have separate controllers for PATA and SATA. Older ones that don't are a pain, but that's another story...)

Hi, and thanks a lot! Okay, I will try to look for a Marvel PATA kext. I have deleted the VIAATA. Will update this thread. :)

Found this and that is just my motherboard http://www.insanelym...1xx-pata-patch/, but can't seem to find the kext?

UPDATE: I found this http://www.osx86.net...do=file&id=2276, and in the comments it is reported to work on 10.7 and 10.8, so I am thinking about making a Lion or ML install instead of SL.