Toshiba Portege M400, Native success

carpao

110 posts in this topic

remember to report the procedure and hints that you used and possibly opinions on the difference for our computer

Success my M400 is now running 10.5.2 with the 9.2.0 vanilla kernel. I followed the foodie monsters instructions on page 104 on the kalyway 10.5.1 thread (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=77069&st=2060).

So far everything looks ok albeit only had 15 mins worth of use.

I have just run the software update utility and installed the Leopard graphics update and now I just get a blue screen on reboot. If I attach an external monitor I can get into the GUI but not with the builtin laptop screen. Any ideas how to rollback this update?

Ended up doing a reinstall of everything. Do not install the Graphics Update if you run a intel GMA 950 graphics card.

Here is the PCMCIA info which is displayed in About This Mac

Type: Cardbus Bridge

Driver Installed: No

Bus: PCI

Slot: PCI Slot 0

Vendor ID: 0x104c

Device ID: 0x8039

Revision ID: 0x000

Do other M400 report the same properties. I haven't tried to install the kext yet as I think they will need editing which I do not know how to do yet.

I now have the PCMCIA slot working on the M400.

I used Chun-Nan's IOPCIFamily.10.5.2.beta.zip. Read the info on the thread from Page 21 onwards. Most important point is to repair permissions before boot. To get both firewire and pcmcia working I had to seperate the kext and load them seperately (see page 23) http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=630767

Spadge

I now have the PCMCIA slot working on the M400.

I used Chun-Nan's IOPCIFamily.10.5.2.beta.zip. Read the info on the thread from Page 21 onwards. Most important point is to repair permissions before boot. To get both firewire and pcmcia working I had to seperate the kext and load them seperately (see page 23) http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=630767

Spadge

I'll check it too... thx

• 4 weeks later...

After 8 reinstalls. I had MAC OSX86 working. I used Kaliway 10.5.1. I tried patching it with 10.5.2, it resulted in kernel panic even if I fixed the permissions.

Here's the status of my install...

Toshiba Portege M400

- Video OK (with acceleration out of the box)

- Audio OK (though HDAPatcher)

- LAN OK

- Wireless USB LAN OK (internal LAN not working; am using Realtek USB WIFI)

- Sleep OK

- USB Devices OK (Mouse and USB Sticks)

NOT WORKING

- Bluetooth (Kext update did not work for me)

Next project, to get my Nokia Phone to be used as a 3G modem.

After 8 reinstalls. I had MAC OSX86 working. I used Kaliway 10.5.1. I tried patching it with 10.5.2,
the automatic apple update does not work , but there is a post that explain how to do it (i didn't try it yet however)

- Bluetooth (Kext update did not work for me)

Next project, to get my Nokia Phone to be used as a 3G modem.

did you try what suggested in http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=569544

I use internal bluetooth without problem (or better I have to reload the extension after the sleep)

Hi Carpao,

I got the Bluetooth to work. I used the Kexthelper application to load the ToshACPI.kext provided through this forum.

I also got my Nokia N92 phone to work through Bluetooth and USB. Am so happy, I can now bring my Macintoshiba with me when traveling.

By the way, thanks for much for this tips. Because of your response in threads I was able to go through this OSX86 project.

Hi Carpao,

I got the Bluetooth to work. I used the Kexthelper application to load the ToshACPI.kext provided through this forum.

I also got my Nokia N92 phone to work through Bluetooth and USB. Am so happy, I can now bring my Macintoshiba with me when traveling.

By the way, thanks for much for this tips. Because of your response in threads I was able to go through this OSX86 project.

not at all...

I'm happy that my posts helped you as I was helped by others' ones.

After a 24 hour burn of my new Macintoshiba, I have realized that MACOSX is so easy to use, and it seems that I'll be having some problems going back to Vista. Unfortunately, Mac doesn't have MS Outlook which I really need to access my corporate email.

Anyways, here's an update on what's working with my M400 Hackintosh project

Working components

- Video OK

- Audio OK (Speakers Only through HDAPatcher)

- Bluetooth OK (Kext update)

- DVD Burning and Viewing OK (Tested it this morning, it was fantabulous, no need for NERO)

- Realtek USB Wif OKi (bought from CDR-KING; CDR-KING.COM.PH)

Not-Working components

- Builtin SD KO

- Builtin WIFI KO

- Tablet KO

Applications installed on the Macintoshiba

- Windows Messenger

- Yahoo Messenger

- Bittorent OSX

did you follow the instructions in this thread?

Hi Carpao,

I went to Scott's thread on TabletMagic. But the Digify.cmd did not locate my digitizer. Can you point me to the right thread to follow with regards to enabling tablet on my M400. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
Hi Carpao,

I went to Scott's thread on TabletMagic. But the Digify.cmd did not locate my digitizer. Can you point me to the right thread to follow with regards to enabling tablet on my M400. Thanks.

I think that I'm using a old version of tabletMagic... (no Digify.cmd :-D)

In the previous thread I said all that I know..

1) change the pslist to expose the serial

2) try to boot with another kernel

3) install tabletmagic

BTW meanwhile I updated to 10.5.2 using kalyway combo update and kalyway kernel installer

then as suggested by spagde I installed also the PCMIA controller (v8) and now for the first time it works...

My main lacks are:

internal wireless (I'm using a USB version ... but...)

internal mic (when I need it I use a BT headset... but...)

After a 24 hour burn of my new Macintoshiba, I have realized that MACOSX is so easy to use, and it seems that I'll be having some problems going back to Vista. Unfortunately, Mac doesn't have MS Outlook which I really need to access my corporate email.

Hi, if you get hold of Office 2008, that was Entourage which is the mac version of Outlook and can be used to connect to an exchange server.

Spadge

• 2 weeks later...
BTW meanwhile I updated to 10.5.2 using kalyway combo update and kalyway kernel installer

internal mic (when I need it I use a BT headset... but...)

I tried to use bluetooth now but it does not work...

it is the first time after 10.5.2 update and PCI enabling

I tried to load it as usual but is is recognized but set "off" without the option

did someone solved the problem already?

I'll try to revert the PCMIA enabling kext... but I would like to have both working :-D

UPDATE:: it does not work also with 10.5.2 nomal IOPC....kext :-( any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm clearly being an idiot here, but I can't get the audio to work. I've used AppleHDA patcher 1.2 and the psykopat Stac9200.txt listed here, but I'm not getting any sound. Leo4all install/Leo 10.5.2 System profiler reports no built-in audio, though itunes and system profiler seem to think there is a working set of internal speakers. Any help appreciated!

• 9 months later...

hi,

after many installations of xxx 10.5.6 i ended that ONLY vanilla 10.5.6 kernel works with both cores and latest m400 bios (3.80). Everything seems working but i have some problems with some devices:

MORE IMPORTANT THINGS :

- It crashes when i shutdown the computer (not when i reboot). How can i fix it ?

- How to enable PCMCIA? Using the kexts showed in this thread it didn't help and caused kernel panic error.

- Is display rotation possible (also using some external applications, if not possible through 950 driver) ?

LESS IMPORTANT THINGS :

- How to enable touchpad side-scroll ? Touchpad works but i cannot scroll ... is there any software able to do that (similar to windows behaviour: scrolling at borders)?

- Is it possible to put computer in sleep when i close lid in any way? when i close the display of the tablet i mean.

May anyone try to help me solving such problems ?

Please ...

Thanks !

Mal

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all!

I'm new to this "OSX86" world so I apologize if I ask any dumb question.

My M400 is the model with a max native resolution of 1024x768, I got installed 10.5.6 and then applied a patch to get sound. My problem is that it just works with an external LCD (During installation I also had to use my ext LCD).

When booting internal display shows the pretty bitten apple but then a blue screen comes, and if until that moment I haven't plugged the ext LCD then it wont recognize it later. When I no LCD is plugged pressing fn+F5 the internal display shows a a "frozen" image of the booting bitten apple, I said frozen because I thing it's showing me the image stored in framebuffer memory.

I would appreciate any help.

p.d. 1/2 wire/s trick didn't work either

I'm clearly being an idiot here, but I can't get the audio to work. I've used AppleHDA patcher 1.2 and the psykopat Stac9200.txt listed here, but I'm not getting any sound. Leo4all install/Leo 10.5.2 System profiler reports no built-in audio, though itunes and system profiler seem to think there is a working set of internal speakers. Any help appreciated!

Did you "drop" the Stack9200.txt" over the patcher app listed in the "Applications" folder?. It wont work if you first run patcher and then drop there the txt file.

• 1 month later...

I have Toshiba Protege M400, and could not install OSx86 using iAtkos 5i, IPC 10.5.6, Kalyway 10.5.2,OS-X IDenab 10.5.6.

What distribution did you use?

What selections did you choose for installation?

Could anybody share successful installation procedure with me?

AuJugo

• 2 months later...
I have Toshiba Protege M400, and could not install OSx86 using iAtkos 5i, IPC 10.5.6, Kalyway 10.5.2,OS-X IDenab 10.5.6.

What distribution did you use?

What selections did you choose for installation?

Could anybody share successful installation procedure with me?

AuJugo

load up iatkos 10.5.7 with your ext monitor connected, after you have installed 10.5.7, at boot up when you see the chameleon, enter your key combo fn F5, this will result in your normal resolution settings being available, you can also toggle at the boot up 2 screens or external monitor only or native m400 monitor, once the os is runing flipping the screens will not work satisfactory. Also as soon as you have the image from the external monitor to your native monitor you can disconnect the ext monitor cable. Also installing Tablet magic works great after you have the calibration set, If I figure out how to boot without the external monitor and full resolution settings I will let you know.

If you are out on location you can change one of the 0x72A28086 settings to 0x72AE8086 in the appleintelgma950 and appleintelframebuffer kext files using sudo nano and fixing the disk permissions with disk util then you can boot up without an external monitor but you will be stuck at 1025x768 resolution. Hope this helps...wrayski

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I'm clearly being an idiot here, but I can't get the audio to work. I've used AppleHDA patcher 1.2 and the psykopat Stac9200.txt listed here, but I'm not getting any sound.

I'm in the same boat as n9uxu and am wondering if maybe I should have chosen a different distro or something as most of the info I read is fairly dated now.

I went with the Kalyway 10.5.2 install which went over smoothly once my M400's second core was turned off. Basic functionality is fine, but I've got no sound device (Sigmatel High Definition Audio), no WiFi (Intel Pro 3945ABG) and the trackpad doesn't seem to detect taps (probably normal, the buttons work fine). Audio was the main thing I wanted to use, with WiFi being a major convenience. 

I may have selected a couple extra driver packages during the install (for audio/wireless), but didn't un-check any of the defaults. I've also applied the Stac9200.txt to the HDA patcher as mentioned above (went smoothly and prompted for a reboot), and mounted and ran an install from the "iwifi.dmg" for my wireless as described in another thread. Neither of those devices show any presence in any of the pref panels.

Does it sound like I've done all that I was supposed to do regarding the OS/driver installs, or was Kalyway the wrong version to go for?

-Thanks!

I'm in the same boat as n9uxu and am wondering if maybe I should have chosen a different distro or something as most of the info I read is fairly dated now.

You should probably use a slightly newer distro. I don't remember how I set up Leopard, but I have sound working on Snow Leopard and accelerated display (had to use old framebuffer drivers but it works great).

The WiFi never worked for me, but my M400 came with an unsupported WiFi card anyhow, so I just bought a small USB wireless dongle that works quite well using Ralink drivers.