Triple boot help

Amit Meena

36 posts in this topic

Hello,

i want some help regarding a triple boot of Win7,Ubuntu 12.10 and Mountain Lion 10.8.2 on a dual Hard Drive system(specs in signature)

what i have so far is give below in points.

1. installed win 7 on normal seagate 3.5" HDD(500GB).....partition is 200GB

2. installed ML 10.8.2 on SSD with myhack installer USB.

now what i what to do is, i want to install ubuntu on that same 500GB HDDs 15GB new partition and use the rest space for Mac usage.

can you guys enlighten me with your knowledge.

NOTE ::: i want to use chameleon only

i tried installing ubuntu but received this error

Hello,

i want some help regarding a triple boot of Win7,Ubuntu 12.10 and Mountain Lion 10.8.2 on a dual Hard Drive system(specs in signature)

now what i what to do is, i want to install ubuntu on that same 500GB HDDs 15GB new partition and use the rest space for Mac usage.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/282748-grub2-xnu-kernel/

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

i want some help regarding a triple boot of Win7,Ubuntu and Mountain Lion 10.8.2 on a dual Hard Drive system(specs in signature)

Dude

Do this Following steps (It should work )

1:- Install windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.10 on single drive before installing disconnect SSD

2:-After that remove HDD and install OS X on SSD with Clover boot Loader or Enouch Boot loader

3:-Connect all drive

4:-After this go to your bios Choose First boot drive should SSD

Try this it should work

when installing Linux you need to specify that grub be installed on same partition as the OS (Linux) so mbr will be left alone and chameleon can boot all 3

Dude

Do this Following steps (It should work )

1:- Install windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.10 on single drive before installing disconnect SSD

2:-After that remove HDD and install OS X on SSD with Clover boot Loader or Enouch Boot loader

3:-Connect all drive

4:-After this go to your bios Choose First boot drive should SSD

Try this it should work

This method will make some other problems i think, like when i'll select the Win 7 partition from the boot menu it'll open the grub than i'll need to select the win 7 again.

when installing Linux you need to specify that grub be installed on same partition as the OS (Linux) so mbr will be left alone and chameleon can boot all 3

yeah lots of people suggested me to do that but during installation it never asked to me for that option :(

it doesn't "ask" but it does give option. when installing you'll have option for where to install grub, then where to install OS, then were to install swap space. Google it if you have trouble.

it doesn't "ask" but it does give option. when installing you'll have option for where to install grub, then where to install OS, then were to install swap space. Google it if you have trouble.

ok , will check it tomorrow after taking the backup :P

This method will make some other problems i think, like when i'll select the Win 7 partition from the boot menu it'll open the grub than i'll need to select the win 7 again.

yeah lots of people suggested me to do that but during installation it never asked to me for that option :(

Install Ubuntu without boot loader and try....

or

First install Ubuntu then windows 7 (so there is no dual boot)

once you install windows after Ubuntu grub will gone

then install chameleon bootloder on SSD

• 3 months later...

Does chameleon is able to boot Linux bootloader on the same drive? Because I tried before and chameleon wasn't able to do that(it inly boots Windows loader and OSX).

i think it can boot linux but i couldn't figure it out yet :(

Do one thing install windows 7 and mac on SSD and install Linux on HDD

make sure Linux boot loader installed in particular drive not on entire drive(HDD)

and then install Latest chameleon boot loader on mac drive it will show all three OS

Yeah

Do I have to use ssd drive to do that? I don't have ssd right now.

Do you mean particular partition?

Yeah

but u can do it on HDD also

Hmm.., so you say that it won't work on usual hdd, only on ssd? That is strange, I don't understand why it depends from a type of a drive.

I mean u try 2 HDD also

it will work

But I want to install right now Linux and OSX on one hdd and to have a grub as a bootloader for both systems. Is that possible?

may be not because mac won't boot by grub my experience that was :wallbash: but try search again :hammer:

but u can use chameleon but u have install Linux boot loader on Linux drive and chameleon on mac drive that time Chameleon works otherwise chameleon won't boot Linux

You mean that chameleon will boot Linux only if a Linux bootloader is installed on a separate physical hard drive?

yes

chameleon will boot Linux only if a Linux boot loader is installed on Linux Drive

Ok, I see. Talking about chameleon. Is it possible to make an option for chameleon that it boot by default Linux, Windows or OSX, and to choose a time of waiting(idle for 3.4. or 5 seconds or immediately). If it is possible, how to do that?

Ok, I see. Talking about cameleon. Is it possible to make an option for chameleon that it boot by default Linux, Windows or OSX, and to choose a time of waiting(idle for 3.4. or 5 seconds or immediately). If it is possible, how to do that?

i never try on Windows and Linux but i tried on MAC OS X you need to add this in your O.C,B.P

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>4</string>

4 be the second you change it 0 and try if fails then Open you O.C,B.P with chameleon wizard and change it from there