need help upgrading to 10.6.7 from 10.6.3

benj

26 posts in this topic

I've successfully partitioned and hackintoshed 10.6.3 on my Inspiron 1520.

I've installed the 10.6.7 combo pkg, but upon Restart it hangs at the Apple logo (and spinning icon).

Any suggestions/remedy would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. Someone suggested removing SleepEnabler.kext, but as far as I can tell it isn't anywhere on on my computer hd.

i had same laptop.. u need dsdt patched with IOATA panic fix on sat1.

also the Device (PCI0) needs _UID, 0x00

how much ram ?

try 2 gb. with 4gb i had instability after sleep.

what bios version ? A09 ?

wht video card? intel x3100 nvidia 8400GS or 8600GT

if its intel x3100 after 10.6.7 the video stops working.. needs some tricks

to diagnose hard disk as i suspect its going bad.. with laptop off.. hold the key Fn and power it on. then it runs diagnostics.. if it says

DST (drive self test) error 0142 or 0146 or error 07 .. hdd is going bad.

Thanks SO much for your post. Please don't go away. I've been working on this for a week, and you're the first one who had this laptop.

I have 4GB and A08 BIOS and X3100. I'll try the diagnostics right now. I'd be glad to provide my email address so we can correspond that way.

Whatever you prefer. Thanks again.

p.s. I don't know what this means: "dsdt patched with IOATA panic fix on sat1.

also the Device (PCI0) needs _UID, 0x00"

You stated "if its intel x3100 after 10.6.7 the video stops working.. needs some tricks". I'd be happy with an upgrade to 10.6.6.

After running the Diagnostic for over thirty minutes The dialog box stated "Pre-boot system assement complete. No diagnostic utlity partition identified."

Prior to it going into the very long process, (prior to the color bars, I believe), as far as Hard Disk, I saw only: "Hard disk: Running".

I saw no errors. It seems to run fine on my main partition and back-up partion when both have 10.6.3 only.

Your guidance from here is greatly, greatly appreciated.

I look forward to your reply. Much thanks.

ok 4gb . let me post a dsdt i had in friends x3100 1520. (editing here when i find it. or u can try in my signature the link)

partitioning.. did u make the disk GPT GUID type ? or is it MBR ?.. using windows on same hdd ?

i never use both in same disk as its given me issues in past and got tired of fixing.. plain os x in 1 hdd GUID partitioning.

is 10.6.3 retail or is it a hacked up distro ? sometimes distros make more problems down the road.

Much thanks for your reply. I believe the partition is an MBR type. I'm new at it and if this confirms it's MBR, I was guided, via Forum, to type this into Terminal:

sudo fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

To answer your other question, I was provided a iAtkos cd, so I suspect that's a distro?

Thanks for your help. I look forward to your posted dsdt (and any additional guidance).

I'd be happy to try the attachment that's in the link via your signature: Inspiron1x20_10.x_LatinMcG.zip

I see 10.6.8 folder in there along with a 10.6.7 folder. Should remove the 10.6.8 folder before uploading?

Any instructions to go with it? Or simply upload it and try 10.6.7 reintall and restart?

Thanks again

How can I determine which one it is?

It has worked well for the 10.6.3 that is currently on my two partitions.

I'd be happy to try the attachment that's in the link via your signature: Inspiron1x20_10.x_LatinMcG.zip

I see 10.6.8 folder in there along with a 10.6.7 folder. Should remove the 10.6.8 folder before uploading?

Any instructions to go with it? Or simply upload it and try 10.6.7 reintall and restart?

I added dsdt.aml into /Extra/ and Restarted at 10.67 screen. I saw apple logo and spinning icon and then almost immediatly after that got the message "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the power button until it turns off , then press Power Button again." This is new. Before it would just hang. So I pressed the button and got the same message again. I look forward to any additional help. Thanks.

Update:

Now both partitions are crashed apparently. Now what?.

I honestly appreciate you effort to help me by providing those commands.

After typing those and data ran, the last lines showed this:

Waiting for DSMOS...

SATA WARNING: Enable auto-activate failed.

AppleAHCIDiskQueueManager::setPowerState(0x7c55800, 2 ->1) timed out after 100103 ms

I will greatly appreciate any additional help so much

thanks again.

Sorry about your loss. I'm sure it's a very tough time for you and your wife.

I hope your good memories of him get you through this hard time.

When you return to this, I'd like to restate how much I appreciate all of the help you've provided.

I don't yet know what brand I have in my Dell laptop 1520, X3100.

The service tag (via dell.com) shows: Hard Drive, 250GB, Serial ATA 9.5, 5.4K, W125

Sorry about your loss. I'm sure it's a very tough time for you and your wife.

I hope your good memories of him get you through this hard time.

When you return to this, I'd like to restate how much I appreciate all of the help you've provided.

I don't yet know what brand I have in my Dell laptop 1520, X3100.

The service tag (via dell.com) shows: Hard Drive, 250GB, Serial ATA 9.5, 5.4K, W125

yah i wasnt too attached to him but my kid was.

pop hdd out of laptop. easy 4 screws and slides out.

i had same msg with some samsung hard disks.. not with western digital.

similar issue with samsung dvd drive would not let sleep auto.

samsung= firmware issues.

So, I understand you're suggesting I remove the hdd, it's not clear if you're suggesting I replace it. And if so, what brand would work correctly?

Is my W125 a Western Digital? Sorry, your message is greatly appreciated, but not so clear to me.

Any additional help/clarification will be appreciated. Thanks again.